Camo Black Ice - Camo Brewing Company

awful

Camo Brewing Company
Nevada, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 12-29-2006)
Reviews by anon:
1.5/5  rDev -19.4%

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

Ive sold it so assumed it was drinkable.
A- watery cheap beer. Weak foamy head that seems unstable with itself for some reason. like some of it dies and some grows?
S- Lots of alcohol and a bad corn cheap ass beer smell.
T-Horrible. I absolutely cannot finnish this beer! Its just cheap nasty beer alcohol corn.
M- Feels like a typical ice beer but way worse.The last thing you will be thinking about.
D- Its really unpleasing. I cant even finish it. This is like a desperation beer( I dont care if it tastes like burning rubber i need to get hammered cheap!)
The upside is it is one of the cheapest beers you will find. The alcohol:price is very decent.

I'm sorry, I haven't even wrote a review in a long time but I just had to log in to write this.
This is with out a doubt the WORST BEER I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE. Its even an insult to call it beer or malt liquor because it is not in the same league as any other one I've tried.
Imagine taking old dirty wet socks and a bunch of leaves that you raked up, putting them together and adding lake water and letting it ferment and soak up all the flavor. Thats what this tastes like. It looks horrible, smells horrible, tastes, mouthfeel overall horrible.
Now for all the winos out there. This stuff is potent and will get you drunk very quickly so if thats your main goal and you can tolerate the taste, more power to you.
Note that Camo Silver Ice is 10.6% so just a bit stronger if your looking for that bang for your buck.
All in all awful beverage. You've been warned.

1.65/5  rDev -11.3%

i usually dont drink this stuff, but it is not below me and i did have a can of this the other day during some an intense rockband xbox sesh. i didnt pour it out, but the can is pretty tight. i like the explosion thing and the military style font. unfortunatly its not very good after that. it smells like cornflakes and alcohol. it tastes like cornflakes and paint thinner. mouthfeel? i dunno i was drinking it as fast as possible to avoid the taste. drinkability is low seeing as how its 10.5% and terrible, BUT there is a silver lining, i felt pretty awesome immediatly following consumption. its a double edged sword.

1.6/5  rDev -14%

Clear, gold in hue; I am pleased the color is not overly thin or sickly. Loud, talkative white head, at the apex the foam was easily three fingers tall. The bubbles popped and left pockmarks as it faded steadily. A small cap lasted the entire consumption (albeit brief consumption). No lacing of note. Overall, the appearance is quite standard.

The nose smells of malt and corn grist with fruit jelly and Vaseline mixed in for good measure. Alcohol is noticeable, it doesn’t seem overly hot to me but I fear it will open up once I take a sip. I have smelled worse Malt Liquors (and better ones). Offensive but it will not haunt my memories.

Sweet palate, it is malty for a brief moment before turning rather corny and a tad wheat-like. There are tons of fusel alcohol flavors, fruit jelly, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, and apples (grapes too?). The alcohol heat burns my throat on the swallow… I am forced to take little sips. I’ve had a couple good Malt Liquors but Camo Brewing Company has yet to delivers one. IMO, Black Ice is borderline awful.

Almost medium in body, minimal carbonation, the mouthfeel is thin but harsh. That is not a winning combo… The mouthfeel is poor but I’m not drinking enough of it to really matter.

Drinkable? Um, like, hell no. I purchased a massive 24-ounce can for $1.08 at a local grocery store. Why? So BA member Roydrinksitall can review this beer? Merry Christmas. To the rest of you, avoid this beer.

1.1/5  rDev -40.9%

Originally reviewed July 13 2007. Poured from a 24 oz can. Aroma is a distinctive amalgam of burning rubber tires and gas-station-machine condoms. Estery. Holds clean and clear, in pale gold, with a fresh draught of crisp white foam. Beautiful head retention. Flavor departs from the aroma and grabs more of a wheat fusel line, backed with incredibly alcohol reek, bus vomit, and bushels of corn. You can really feel the alcohol working it’s evil on you. Bitter for no apparent reason (certainly not hops). It’s like having all the bad parts of a poorly craft brewed barleywine, without any of the malt character or hop flavor. Pure concentrated corn sugar garbage. Smacks out in a compost figure.

3.43/5  rDev +84.4%

While it's one of the most bitter flavors I've ever had from a tallboy, CAMO Black Ice will really get you the most bang for your buck. This stuff carries a serious bite. The initial taste, although strong, is actually not that horrible. It WILL, however, give your face an oogly-moogly expression if you're not accustomed to drinking it. The nice thing about it is how quickly it can get you on the level. For the average person a single tallboy will get you a healthy buzz and anything beyond 2 is guaranteed tipsy-status. If you can get past the aftertaste this stuff makes a long day at work seem like less of a big deal at the end of the day.

1.9/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of alcohol, some malts. Taste is of alcohol and not good at all. No real beer flavor here. Feels light with a slight burn in the mouth and is one of the least drinkable beers I have tried. Overall this beer is borderline disgusting.

1.15/5  rDev -38.2%

Can dated "3330", brewed by "Five Star Brewing Co, Inc" in Lacrosse, WI and Latrobe PA. Wasn't Five Star going to be the new name of Viking before they went with Valkyrie? Don't blame them for the name change, I wouldn't want to be mistaken for being responsible for brewing this garbage either...

Into a large mug it does indeed pour urine gold with a rapidly fading white cap of fizzling bubbles. Rapid visible carbonation, crystal clear, looks like a sparkling cider.

Smells like a musty dishrag soaked with spoiled grape juice. Fusel alcohol fumes.
Starting to think this was a very bad idea.

Harshly astringent and overcarbonated. It tastes like alcohol and white grape juice that has started to turn. Sharp and lip-curling foul taste of fusel alcohol and sickly sweet white grape juice (likely from wine yeast). Just bad, real bad. One of the worse malt liquors on the market, pretty much the bottom of the barrel for a $1.49 can.

1.93/5  rDev +3.8%

Felt like both something new & something ghetto, this fit the bill. Hence, the 24 oz from a gas station for 1.25.

Typical canary yellow pour, albeit w/ way more white head than I expected. Faint rice smell, followed by AL-CO-HOL. Figured it'd be obvious, but not that much. I'll try anything once though, maybe I'll be surprised...

Tastes weirdly like apple juice, with nowhere near the burn the paint-thinneresque scent suggests. No real mouthfeel to speak of, goes down like water because the carbonation vanishes within a minute.

This doesn't have the standard malt liquor funk to it. Problem is, for that category I kinda LIKE that funk. I'd rather a beer try for flavor and boldly fail than to not even make the attempt.

Enjoy that 1.25, Camo. You're not getting another one from me.

1.9/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

For a beer beer aficionado it's cheap swill. For a couch potato redneck it's and acquired taste the improves with time and the next beer. By the time you finish it, you care little for the can design, smell or taste. The mouth-feel can only be described as numb. It may even embolden you to register to a random beer review website to sing it's feint praise before staggering out in search of another can before the buzz wears off and you can again taste and smell again.
The overall rating includes the sack-of-hammers effect of the %10.5 ABV

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

This very harsh brew gets tastier as one drinks more of it. It has a strong alcohol smell and a golden appearance with a tolerable head. The flavor is strongly alcoholic and harsh. Camo Black Ice is stinging in the mouth and tough to take at first. However, by the time I was about half way through the 24 oz. can (poured in a pint glass), I began to enjoy it. I prefer milder beers for daily drinking, but this would be something to have from time to time. I felt woozy for about three to four hours after drinking this. It’s rough.

RJT

1.05/5  rDev -43.5%

Another great find of a beer in a ghetto liquor store. Pours golden with a slight haze, big bad white foamy head that dies down relatively quickly to a small cap with a spot or two of lace. Smells of honey, plastic, ammonia, and hot garbage on the nose. Tastes of sour grapes, plastic, corn drenched in rubbing alcohol, and the finish brings a bit of cookie and a roll of pennies. Medium to light in body, not too sure because I can't really keep it in my mouth too long without discomfort, very high carbonation. This is probably the worst beer I've ever had, but one day I want to try Evil Eye. One day. Until then, I hate myself for buying this, even if it was just for a laugh. I think I have a headache after 2.3 oz.

1.35/5  rDev -27.4%

Picked up in Wyoming mostly for morbid curiosity. How good can it be? Got to see some bad countries on the Earth to appreciate how great most of North America and Europe are compared to most of Africa.

But I have had Super Brew 15 in my mouth so I know bad when I put it in my mouth.

Poured in a glass just to be fair and like most malt liquor it does a passable job at looking like a lager. Clear gold with a small momentary white colored head.

Smells fruity as in fusel alcohol from beer fermented hot and fast. Malty and toffee candy. It is a bit spicy and I got the smell nailed. This smells like spiced caramel apple. There is a strong apple butter scent to this. Might actually give this some credit except I know what Fusel Alcohol does for hangovers. But to be honest doesn't smell that bad.

Moment of truth the taste.

Starts of thin and boozy. Tastes a lot like apple cider. And that is about it, tastes like Vodka and apple juice.

Mouthfeel is thin and the carbonation boils off pretty quick.

Overall this is a beer meant for hardcore alcoholics and college dorm parties.

But you already knew what you were buying a bad beer when you purchased it.

6 OZ drank 18 OZ to clean out the drain.

2.75/5  rDev +47.8%

Pours decently for a malt liquor style lager. Nice head of white foam, and a clear dark golden body.

The aroma is very astringent, lots of corn and tobacco characteristics. Dry and powdery too.

Taste wise it is very rich in the tobacco flavor, and kind of leathery and buttery.

Crisp and lots of carbonation up front. Delves into a burning ethyl feel for the finish. It almost feels/tastes like somebody dumped a shot of shitty whiskey into a beer.

2.68/5  rDev +44.1%

For it's 10.5% alcohol by volume mark, this beer is not the worst I have ever had. But beware! You must keep this can ice cold, lest you drink warm Camo, which is something I would not give to my worst enemy. A 24oz. can does me well, and for the price it's not bad - the taste is bad, but if you are a week from payday and need a beer to get you through an awful Royals game, this is the one to reach for - not Evil Eye.

1.2/5  rDev -35.5%

My can mission continues, CAN you dig it? This is not part of the review, but Rob Tod and I were talking on Saturday about the canned beer phenomenon as reported in the latest issue of "All About Beer" and the big thing holding (most) craft brewers back from canning is a lack of available cans. This could be an entry-level industry if people wanted to fill a void. Just like being a cooper - it was a dying craft for which there is now a huge demand. Just sayin' ...

Okay, is this beer capable of getting a head? I poured repeatedly, only to see what little developed devolve into wisps. The hell with it! I moved on. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nice. Especially since it was all downhill from there. The nose had a sharp paint thinner-like quality which is not optimal. OK, I am not stupid, I get the point - it is a cheap buzz at 10.5 ABV in a low-priced 24-oz. can, but ZOUNDS!, does it need to be so obnoxious? Mouthfeel was thin with a hot alcohol burn on the tongue replaced with a green apple flavor. Phew. The finish left me (literally) breathless. It was a really hot beer from start to finish and undoubtedly smoked a couple of brain cells and a region of my liver. Man, I would be hard pressed to crack another of those.

1.73/5  rDev -7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

"Hmmmm, the National Championship is tonight. I want some beer, but I am hella broke. I know! I shall drink Camo and not just any Camo, but Camo Black Ice!" - me this morning

The beer is a a light straw yellow with no froth and lots of lacing and carbonation. Hot damn! It smells like year old Miller! So sweet, but kinda clean at least. Okay, the taste is like a light beer! Holy shit! It isn't horrible and adjunctly sweet at all! I am going to get blitzed off of these three cans that will go down easy. The only real problem is the alcohol burn at the end. Oh wait, the sweetness effects the chug; oh well! The mouthfeel is weak, by the way.

Maybe I should slow down. After all, it is only halftime.

2.13/5  rDev +14.5%

24oz can acquired in trade with Kevin (thanks, I guess!).

I've been trying to get the local PA crew to drink this one for a while now, but for some reason, it took some arm twisting and constant urging!

Poured a medium yellow color with an averaged sized head. Yep, smells and tastes like a Malt Liquor - corny and just nasty.

Notes from: 3/14/08

1.9/5  rDev +2.2%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

The eighth entry in SwillFest 2011. It pours a clear straw topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises bubblegum, vanilla, cream soda, and corn syrup. Boo. The taste holds notes of lemon rind, tart mandarin orange skin, corn syrup, and rotten vanilla bean. More boo. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a kinda syrupy feel. Overall, a highly objectionable malt lickah, one that I wish followed the harshly sweet smell.

1.18/5  rDev -36.6%

The infamous Camo Black Ice. Shared at our tasting yesterday so as to run the gamut from awful to amazing.

A: The pour is crystal clear and very, very pale yellow in color. The head is initially white and fluffy, but disappears almost as quickly as it arrived.

S: The nose is dominated by a sweet, airy rice aroma. There's a touch of grain sweetness and a fair amount of skunk.

T: I didn't think the flavor could get much worse than the nose, but somehow, it did. This one is all rice, corn, and booze. Just awful.

M: Very, very light body. The carbonation is fairly high, but it doesn't do much to help out the watery beer.

D: One of the most godawful things I've put in my mouth. Thanks Jacob and Jer for sharing this one...very generous.

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%

I've tasted a lot of beers in my time, but this has to be among the worst. I know some people mentioning a head, but it had very little for me. The smell was okay, but the taste was like pure alcohol with a hint of apple to it. If there were any hops in it, they must have floated to the top and been scraped off because I could taste none. The ONLY reason I gave it more than a 1.0 is because you could easily hold your breath and guzzle the stuff down---little carbonation or aftertaste. Skip it!

Camo Black Ice from Camo Brewing Company