Camo Black Ice - Camo Brewing Company

Camo Brewing Company
Nevada, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: bditty187 on 12-29-2006

I'm sorry, I haven't even wrote a review in a long time but I just had to log in to write this.
This is with out a doubt the WORST BEER I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE. Its even an insult to call it beer or malt liquor because it is not in the same league as any other one I've tried.
Imagine taking old dirty wet socks and a bunch of leaves that you raked up, putting them together and adding lake water and letting it ferment and soak up all the flavor. Thats what this tastes like. It looks horrible, smells horrible, tastes, mouthfeel overall horrible.
Now for all the winos out there. This stuff is potent and will get you drunk very quickly so if thats your main goal and you can tolerate the taste, more power to you.
Note that Camo Silver Ice is 10.6% so just a bit stronger if your looking for that bang for your buck.
All in all awful beverage. You've been warned.

1.03/5  rDev -45.5%

A - pours a orange yellow animal urine with a head that dissipates rapidly
s - smells like fermented corn syrup
t - it tastes bad, sweet and metalic, like bad beer mixed with a chemical.
m - you must focus your mind and overcome your natural response to spit it out, once you master that you then must attempt to swallow it.
o - This single 22oz can of beer will probably get you wasted and you will have a headache for a couple of days. Worse is that you wont feel right for a while, its like the impurities remain inside your body and reek havoc on your system. I hate this stuff, I sometimes buy it for people as a joke.

1.06/5  rDev -43.9%

Another great find of a beer in a ghetto liquor store. Pours golden with a slight haze, big bad white foamy head that dies down relatively quickly to a small cap with a spot or two of lace. Smells of honey, plastic, ammonia, and hot garbage on the nose. Tastes of sour grapes, plastic, corn drenched in rubbing alcohol, and the finish brings a bit of cookie and a roll of pennies. Medium to light in body, not too sure because I can't really keep it in my mouth too long without discomfort, very high carbonation. This is probably the worst beer I've ever had, but one day I want to try Evil Eye. One day. Until then, I hate myself for buying this, even if it was just for a laugh. I think I have a headache after 2.3 oz.

1.06/5  rDev -43.9%

Just can't refuse a new 99 cent camo product so let the punishment fit the crime. This is nasty of course 10.5% of pure adjunct power. Strong sweet aroma, terrible. Nice pour with a ton of lacing dark gold color. Mouthfeel, taste, and overall enjoyment are minimal. Another ghetto bullet by the Camo family.

1.08/5  rDev -42.9%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Deep yet clear golden yellow, no head nor lacing at all, but there are fair amounts of effervescent rising bubbles.

S. Smells very much like cheap Manischewitz wine mixed with kerosene, some diesel, and a hearty side of lawnmower engine oil/gasoline combination. Warning flags and klaxon alarms are going off in my mind.

T. Gargh!! Almost pure fusel alcohols! My eyebrows have spontaneously dissolved! And I think a part of my brain has dribbled out of my ear canal as well! Is this really even beer?

M. Texturally, it even resembles the thin and strident feel of solvents. Only carbonated. Carbonated Solvents. Hey, that sounds like a good name for a band, hmm.

Seriously, this is the very textbook definition STANDARD of fusel fumigation madness. Maybe there's a pinch of white grapes in the finish after the gasoline / kerosene explosion, but I'm having a hard time finding it while being preoccupied with extinguishing my chest hair.

Possibly this "brew" could also be utilized as paint thinner or to help remove those stubborn concrete driveway oil stains.

1.12/5  rDev -40.7%

Originally reviewed July 13 2007. Poured from a 24 oz can. Aroma is a distinctive amalgam of burning rubber tires and gas-station-machine condoms. Estery. Holds clean and clear, in pale gold, with a fresh draught of crisp white foam. Beautiful head retention. Flavor departs from the aroma and grabs more of a wheat fusel line, backed with incredibly alcohol reek, bus vomit, and bushels of corn. You can really feel the alcohol working it’s evil on you. Bitter for no apparent reason (certainly not hops). It’s like having all the bad parts of a poorly craft brewed barleywine, without any of the malt character or hop flavor. Pure concentrated corn sugar garbage. Smacks out in a compost figure.

1.16/5  rDev -38.6%

Can dated "3330", brewed by "Five Star Brewing Co, Inc" in Lacrosse, WI and Latrobe PA. Wasn't Five Star going to be the new name of Viking before they went with Valkyrie? Don't blame them for the name change, I wouldn't want to be mistaken for being responsible for brewing this garbage either...

Into a large mug it does indeed pour urine gold with a rapidly fading white cap of fizzling bubbles. Rapid visible carbonation, crystal clear, looks like a sparkling cider.

Smells like a musty dishrag soaked with spoiled grape juice. Fusel alcohol fumes.
Starting to think this was a very bad idea.

Harshly astringent and overcarbonated. It tastes like alcohol and white grape juice that has started to turn. Sharp and lip-curling foul taste of fusel alcohol and sickly sweet white grape juice (likely from wine yeast). Just bad, real bad. One of the worse malt liquors on the market, pretty much the bottom of the barrel for a $1.49 can.

1.2/5  rDev -36.5%

The infamous Camo Black Ice. Shared at our tasting yesterday so as to run the gamut from awful to amazing.

A: The pour is crystal clear and very, very pale yellow in color. The head is initially white and fluffy, but disappears almost as quickly as it arrived.

S: The nose is dominated by a sweet, airy rice aroma. There's a touch of grain sweetness and a fair amount of skunk.

T: I didn't think the flavor could get much worse than the nose, but somehow, it did. This one is all rice, corn, and booze. Just awful.

M: Very, very light body. The carbonation is fairly high, but it doesn't do much to help out the watery beer.

D: One of the most godawful things I've put in my mouth. Thanks Jacob and Jer for sharing this one...very generous.

1.23/5  rDev -34.9%

My can mission continues, CAN you dig it? This is not part of the review, but Rob Tod and I were talking on Saturday about the canned beer phenomenon as reported in the latest issue of "All About Beer" and the big thing holding (most) craft brewers back from canning is a lack of available cans. This could be an entry-level industry if people wanted to fill a void. Just like being a cooper - it was a dying craft for which there is now a huge demand. Just sayin' ...

Okay, is this beer capable of getting a head? I poured repeatedly, only to see what little developed devolve into wisps. The hell with it! I moved on. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nice. Especially since it was all downhill from there. The nose had a sharp paint thinner-like quality which is not optimal. OK, I am not stupid, I get the point - it is a cheap buzz at 10.5 ABV in a low-priced 24-oz. can, but ZOUNDS!, does it need to be so obnoxious? Mouthfeel was thin with a hot alcohol burn on the tongue replaced with a green apple flavor. Phew. The finish left me (literally) breathless. It was a really hot beer from start to finish and undoubtedly smoked a couple of brain cells and a region of my liver. Man, I would be hard pressed to crack another of those.

1.25/5  rDev -33.9%

This very harsh brew gets tastier as one drinks more of it. It has a strong alcohol smell and a golden appearance with a tolerable head. The flavor is strongly alcoholic and harsh. Camo Black Ice is stinging in the mouth and tough to take at first. However, by the time I was about half way through the 24 oz. can (poured in a pint glass), I began to enjoy it. I prefer milder beers for daily drinking, but this would be something to have from time to time. I felt woozy for about three to four hours after drinking this. It’s rough.

RJT

1.25/5  rDev -33.9%

I've tasted a lot of beers in my time, but this has to be among the worst. I know some people mentioning a head, but it had very little for me. The smell was okay, but the taste was like pure alcohol with a hint of apple to it. If there were any hops in it, they must have floated to the top and been scraped off because I could taste none. The ONLY reason I gave it more than a 1.0 is because you could easily hold your breath and guzzle the stuff down---little carbonation or aftertaste. Skip it!

1.26/5  rDev -33.3%

24oz can - Just had to try a malt liquor

A - Poured out a golden, yellow color with a white, two-finger head. Highly carbonated.

S - Smelled of malt and corn. Also, a metallic aroma even though I poured it into a pilsner glass. Gets worse the more you drink it.

T - It tasted of corn and alcohol. Odd aftertaste.

M - It was crisp and dry. It also was rather warm due to the high-alcohol content.

D - It wasn't as bad as I expected. But it certainly wasn't good.

1.28/5  rDev -32.3%

Ive sold it so assumed it was drinkable.
A- watery cheap beer. Weak foamy head that seems unstable with itself for some reason. like some of it dies and some grows?
S- Lots of alcohol and a bad corn cheap ass beer smell.
T-Horrible. I absolutely cannot finnish this beer! Its just cheap nasty beer alcohol corn.
M- Feels like a typical ice beer but way worse.The last thing you will be thinking about.
D- Its really unpleasing. I cant even finish it. This is like a desperation beer( I dont care if it tastes like burning rubber i need to get hammered cheap!)
The upside is it is one of the cheapest beers you will find. The alcohol:price is very decent.

1.28/5  rDev -32.3%

I pour from the 24 ounce can into my pint glass. Clear yellow gold fluid with minimal head. Smells like chemicals and alcohol and earthy grains. Tastes horrible. It tastes like a vodka boilermaker into a crappy beer. I guess that's the best way I can describe it. Terrible to drink. I'm choking this one down because I'm a man but this is awful beer. The only decent thing about this can of hellish swill is that it's 10.5% ABV. So if you only have $1.39 in your sock this'll do, pig. This'll do.

1.29/5  rDev -31.7%

brewed by Five Star Brewing Co. Lacrosse, WI.

24 ounce can.

*Disclaimer* i am afraid of this beer already!

ok, here goes....

pours out of the can a clear perfect gold colour with a an off white frothy head. actually some lace on the sides as i sip. aroma is heavily fusel, with lots of artificial banana and other random sweet tart flavours. actually does not smell bad, just not *right*. taste is a heavy dose of jet fuel soaked alcohol. yikes. the corn syrup soaked evilness has a sickly cheap liquor note to it. more fermented bananas and a green apple note to boot. i can only think that this what some demented distiller had in mind when brewing up some moonshine and then deciding to brew some beer. i'm serious, this stuff has an ethanol edge that is just plain wrong. i'm not sure if any barley or hops were used in this "beer". who in the hell thinks up this stuff?!? i should be drinking this out of a shot glass and not trying to discern any nuances. on the other hand, it does have a pretty slick and smooth mouthfeel, making the drinker only wince after i swallow. drinkability?? well....i say it has zero drinkability, but the score only goes down to 1.

this is beyond an ice brewed malt liquor. there should be a new category for alcoholic concoctions such as this. my god is this stuff vile!

1.41/5  rDev -25.4%

Ahh Camo, nothing turns a bad day before pay day intoa worse day before payday faster.

So after a wee bit of a car fire I needed to get slammed and do it as cheaply as possible, and lo and behold 2 big cans of 10.5% ABV swill for 2 bucks at my local mini-mart, "This should do the trick!" I thought as I walked back home to begin drinking my night away.

After I cracked one opened I noticed a distinct paint-thinner like smell, never a good sign.

It tasted something like rubbing alcohol mixed with ground up pennies The good thing is, once you've downed about half a can you begin to not taste it anymore

Unfortunately, this was probably the first time I've ever been hung over just drinking beer.

Now, I'll probably never touch the stuff again, but in it's defense I have to say that it does what it's intended to do very well, which is to get you as shitfaced as possible as quickly and inexpensively as possible.

1.42/5  rDev -24.9%

Picked up in Wyoming mostly for morbid curiosity. How good can it be? Got to see some bad countries on the Earth to appreciate how great most of North America and Europe are compared to most of Africa.

But I have had Super Brew 15 in my mouth so I know bad when I put it in my mouth.

Poured in a glass just to be fair and like most malt liquor it does a passable job at looking like a lager. Clear gold with a small momentary white colored head.

Smells fruity as in fusel alcohol from beer fermented hot and fast. Malty and toffee candy. It is a bit spicy and I got the smell nailed. This smells like spiced caramel apple. There is a strong apple butter scent to this. Might actually give this some credit except I know what Fusel Alcohol does for hangovers. But to be honest doesn't smell that bad.

Moment of truth the taste.

Starts of thin and boozy. Tastes a lot like apple cider. And that is about it, tastes like Vodka and apple juice.

Mouthfeel is thin and the carbonation boils off pretty quick.

Overall this is a beer meant for hardcore alcoholics and college dorm parties.

But you already knew what you were buying a bad beer when you purchased it.

6 OZ drank 18 OZ to clean out the drain.

Camo Black Ice from Camo Brewing Company