Camo Black Ice - Camo Brewing Company

Beer added by: bditty187 on 12-29-2006

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 66 | Reviews: 42
1.41/5  rDev -25%

Ahh Camo, nothing turns a bad day before pay day intoa worse day before payday faster.

So after a wee bit of a car fire I needed to get slammed and do it as cheaply as possible, and lo and behold 2 big cans of 10.5% ABV swill for 2 bucks at my local mini-mart, "This should do the trick!" I thought as I walked back home to begin drinking my night away.

After I cracked one opened I noticed a distinct paint-thinner like smell, never a good sign.

It tasted something like rubbing alcohol mixed with ground up pennies The good thing is, once you've downed about half a can you begin to not taste it anymore

Unfortunately, this was probably the first time I've ever been hung over just drinking beer.

Now, I'll probably never touch the stuff again, but in it's defense I have to say that it does what it's intended to do very well, which is to get you as shitfaced as possible as quickly and inexpensively as possible.

1.23/5  rDev -34.6%

My can mission continues, CAN you dig it? This is not part of the review, but Rob Tod and I were talking on Saturday about the canned beer phenomenon as reported in the latest issue of "All About Beer" and the big thing holding (most) craft brewers back from canning is a lack of available cans. This could be an entry-level industry if people wanted to fill a void. Just like being a cooper - it was a dying craft for which there is now a huge demand. Just sayin' ...

Okay, is this beer capable of getting a head? I poured repeatedly, only to see what little developed devolve into wisps. The hell with it! I moved on. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nice. Especially since it was all downhill from there. The nose had a sharp paint thinner-like quality which is not optimal. OK, I am not stupid, I get the point - it is a cheap buzz at 10.5 ABV in a low-priced 24-oz. can, but ZOUNDS!, does it need to be so obnoxious? Mouthfeel was thin with a hot alcohol burn on the tongue replaced with a green apple flavor. Phew. The finish left me (literally) breathless. It was a really hot beer from start to finish and undoubtedly smoked a couple of brain cells and a region of my liver. Man, I would be hard pressed to crack another of those.

1.72/5  rDev -8.5%

i usually dont drink this stuff, but it is not below me and i did have a can of this the other day during some an intense rockband xbox sesh. i didnt pour it out, but the can is pretty tight. i like the explosion thing and the military style font. unfortunatly its not very good after that. it smells like cornflakes and alcohol. it tastes like cornflakes and paint thinner. mouthfeel? i dunno i was drinking it as fast as possible to avoid the taste. drinkability is low seeing as how its 10.5% and terrible, BUT there is a silver lining, i felt pretty awesome immediatly following consumption. its a double edged sword.

2.13/5  rDev +13.3%

24oz can acquired in trade with Kevin (thanks, I guess!).

I've been trying to get the local PA crew to drink this one for a while now, but for some reason, it took some arm twisting and constant urging!

Poured a medium yellow color with an averaged sized head. Yep, smells and tastes like a Malt Liquor - corny and just nasty.

Notes from: 3/14/08

1.29/5  rDev -31.4%

brewed by Five Star Brewing Co. Lacrosse, WI.

24 ounce can.

*Disclaimer* i am afraid of this beer already!

ok, here goes....

pours out of the can a clear perfect gold colour with a an off white frothy head. actually some lace on the sides as i sip. aroma is heavily fusel, with lots of artificial banana and other random sweet tart flavours. actually does not smell bad, just not *right*. taste is a heavy dose of jet fuel soaked alcohol. yikes. the corn syrup soaked evilness has a sickly cheap liquor note to it. more fermented bananas and a green apple note to boot. i can only think that this what some demented distiller had in mind when brewing up some moonshine and then deciding to brew some beer. i'm serious, this stuff has an ethanol edge that is just plain wrong. i'm not sure if any barley or hops were used in this "beer". who in the hell thinks up this stuff?!? i should be drinking this out of a shot glass and not trying to discern any nuances. on the other hand, it does have a pretty slick and smooth mouthfeel, making the drinker only wince after i swallow. drinkability?? well....i say it has zero drinkability, but the score only goes down to 1.

this is beyond an ice brewed malt liquor. there should be a new category for alcoholic concoctions such as this. my god is this stuff vile!

2.68/5  rDev +42.6%

For it's 10.5% alcohol by volume mark, this beer is not the worst I have ever had. But beware! You must keep this can ice cold, lest you drink warm Camo, which is something I would not give to my worst enemy. A 24oz. can does me well, and for the price it's not bad - the taste is bad, but if you are a week from payday and need a beer to get you through an awful Royals game, this is the one to reach for - not Evil Eye.

1.06/5  rDev -43.6%

Just can't refuse a new 99 cent camo product so let the punishment fit the crime. This is nasty of course 10.5% of pure adjunct power. Strong sweet aroma, terrible. Nice pour with a ton of lacing dark gold color. Mouthfeel, taste, and overall enjoyment are minimal. Another ghetto bullet by the Camo family.

1.72/5  rDev -8.5%

A- Clear golden color with no head. Even though the glass is quite busy with bubbles.

S- Surprisingly enough I actually smell a fruity banana smell. It almost reminds me of a watered down red MD 20/20.

T- I'm a bit scared, so lets see how this goes: wow my gag reflex started to kick in. The can says 10.5%abv and it is there in full force. Wow. I can taste the banana taste but wow this is bad.

M- Feels like beer, I think. Perhaps its the spawn of the devil beer.

D- Hell no.

Edit: Dear god I had to pour this out, it was that bad.

1.28/5  rDev -31.9%

I pour from the 24 ounce can into my pint glass. Clear yellow gold fluid with minimal head. Smells like chemicals and alcohol and earthy grains. Tastes horrible. It tastes like a vodka boilermaker into a crappy beer. I guess that's the best way I can describe it. Terrible to drink. I'm choking this one down because I'm a man but this is awful beer. The only decent thing about this can of hellish swill is that it's 10.5% ABV. So if you only have $1.39 in your sock this'll do, pig. This'll do.

1.77/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A: Pours a very clear gold color with a surprisingly decent head, going down for 1 inch to a lace.

S: The smell is very watered down, shocking with an ABV of 10.5%, and adjuncts are present also. Probably the worst smelling beer ever. Not to say bad smelling, but more of a lack of.

T: This bad. Real bad. It definitely has the fuel taste, but is extremely sweet. Reminds me of sweeter version of Camo Silver Ice.

M: Mouthfeel is decent, goes down reasonable smooth even with the slight burning sensation.

D: Overall this is a sorry excuse for a malt liquor, and ice beer, or a beer for that matter. I guess if your only goal is to get drunk off your ass, then you might like this. If you actually appreciate beer, then stay away.

2.41/5  rDev +28.2%

Malt Likkapalooza X is here at last. Since I'm having trouble finding new malt liquors, there may not be too many more of these head-to-head grudge matches. This is the second of these competitions in a row to feature a Camo product. Will Black Ice do as well as Camo 900 High Gravity Lager? There's only one way to find out.

Rich amber that is almost as orange as it is yellow. The French vanilla colored crown looks pretty damn good. It's firmly creamy, is micropitting and is depositing an amazing amount of soon-to-be crusty lace. This is one of the best looking malt liquors that I've ever seen. Trash the brown paper bags, guys. Use a glass.

The nose is tremendously floral, almost perfumy. It's odd for a beer of this style, and not exactly 'tough guy' in nature, but I like it because it covers up the usual graininess and grain alcohol essence that these things usually deliver.

To my surprise, the flavor is where Camo Black Ice falls back to the level of its foe. I need to get deeper into the cans to pick a clear favorite, but they're close. The floralness and green apple flavor are a bit much. Okay in small doses. Less tolerable over all 24 ounces.

It's hard to completely obliterate a 10.5% ABV, and probably unfair to expect in a malt liquor, but a little more finesse wouldn't hurt. Of course no one who drinks malt liquor is looking for finesse... or probably even knows what finesse means.

It's hard to imagine the folks who usually drink this stuff standing around on the street corner discussing viscosity and the pleasures of 'energetic, yet soft-edged carbonation'. Hey, that describes the mouthfeel pretty well.

The appearance score might put Camo Black Ice over the top when it comes to the final score, but malt liquors are made for drinking (and, yes, tasting), so Schlitz High Gravity is my favorite beer of Malt Likkapalooza X no matter how it shakes out in the end. Looks like Camo 900 High Gravity is the best Camo of them all.

2.63/5  rDev +39.9%

I really didn't have high hopes for the Camo Black Ice high gravity lager, but I actually found it to be pretty smooth and drinkable from start to finish. It's a malt liquor, through and through, from its clear pale amber color to its mildly dry finish. The smell was the only aspect that really put me off, but the taste was much better than that. It does a decent job of masking its whopping 10.5% alcohol level, and the black ice remains drinkable at a wide range of temps. You'll find that out, as it takes a while to work your through a 24oz can. One thing's for certain, by the time you finish one of these you're going to have a different outlook on things.

1.12/5  rDev -40.4%

Originally reviewed July 13 2007. Poured from a 24 oz can. Aroma is a distinctive amalgam of burning rubber tires and gas-station-machine condoms. Estery. Holds clean and clear, in pale gold, with a fresh draught of crisp white foam. Beautiful head retention. Flavor departs from the aroma and grabs more of a wheat fusel line, backed with incredibly alcohol reek, bus vomit, and bushels of corn. You can really feel the alcohol working it’s evil on you. Bitter for no apparent reason (certainly not hops). It’s like having all the bad parts of a poorly craft brewed barleywine, without any of the malt character or hop flavor. Pure concentrated corn sugar garbage. Smacks out in a compost figure.

Camo Black is good for one thing - a high ABV. To discuss its qualities in detail would be akin to evaluating the finer points of Taco Bell. That being said, it really tastes no worse than any other malt liquor I've had, and it is extremely inexpensive. Seeing people mention here that they have picked it up for 1.25 makes me extremely jealous, as in my area I have never seen it cost under 1.75 after tax.

1.26/5  rDev -33%

24oz can - Just had to try a malt liquor

A - Poured out a golden, yellow color with a white, two-finger head. Highly carbonated.

S - Smelled of malt and corn. Also, a metallic aroma even though I poured it into a pilsner glass. Gets worse the more you drink it.

T - It tasted of corn and alcohol. Odd aftertaste.

M - It was crisp and dry. It also was rather warm due to the high-alcohol content.

D - It wasn't as bad as I expected. But it certainly wasn't good.

1.7/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

"Hmmmm, the National Championship is tonight. I want some beer, but I am hella broke. I know! I shall drink Camo and not just any Camo, but Camo Black Ice!" - me this morning

The beer is a a light straw yellow with no froth and lots of lacing and carbonation. Hot damn! It smells like year old Miller! So sweet, but kinda clean at least. Okay, the taste is like a light beer! Holy shit! It isn't horrible and adjunctly sweet at all! I am going to get blitzed off of these three cans that will go down easy. The only real problem is the alcohol burn at the end. Oh wait, the sweetness effects the chug; oh well! The mouthfeel is weak, by the way.

Maybe I should slow down. After all, it is only halftime.

1.63/5  rDev -13.3%

Clear, gold in hue; I am pleased the color is not overly thin or sickly. Loud, talkative white head, at the apex the foam was easily three fingers tall. The bubbles popped and left pockmarks as it faded steadily. A small cap lasted the entire consumption (albeit brief consumption). No lacing of note. Overall, the appearance is quite standard.

The nose smells of malt and corn grist with fruit jelly and Vaseline mixed in for good measure. Alcohol is noticeable, it doesn’t seem overly hot to me but I fear it will open up once I take a sip. I have smelled worse Malt Liquors (and better ones). Offensive but it will not haunt my memories.

Sweet palate, it is malty for a brief moment before turning rather corny and a tad wheat-like. There are tons of fusel alcohol flavors, fruit jelly, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, and apples (grapes too?). The alcohol heat burns my throat on the swallow… I am forced to take little sips. I’ve had a couple good Malt Liquors but Camo Brewing Company has yet to delivers one. IMO, Black Ice is borderline awful.

Almost medium in body, minimal carbonation, the mouthfeel is thin but harsh. That is not a winning combo… The mouthfeel is poor but I’m not drinking enough of it to really matter.

Drinkable? Um, like, hell no. I purchased a massive 24-ounce can for $1.08 at a local grocery store. Why? So BA member Roydrinksitall can review this beer? Merry Christmas. To the rest of you, avoid this beer.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »