1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Camo Black Ice - Camo Brewing Company

Camo Black IceCamo Black Ice

awful

Camo Brewing Company
Nevada, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 12-29-2006)

t0rin0, Sep 09, 2012
2.75/5  rDev +47.1%

ParraPalliative, Aug 13, 2012

vrbulldog22, Jun 08, 2012
1.08/5  rDev -42.2%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Deep yet clear golden yellow, no head nor lacing at all, but there are fair amounts of effervescent rising bubbles.

S. Smells very much like cheap Manischewitz wine mixed with kerosene, some diesel, and a hearty side of lawnmower engine oil/gasoline combination. Warning flags and klaxon alarms are going off in my mind.

T. Gargh!! Almost pure fusel alcohols! My eyebrows have spontaneously dissolved! And I think a part of my brain has dribbled out of my ear canal as well! Is this really even beer?

M. Texturally, it even resembles the thin and strident feel of solvents. Only carbonated. Carbonated Solvents. Hey, that sounds like a good name for a band, hmm.

Seriously, this is the very textbook definition STANDARD of fusel fumigation madness. Maybe there's a pinch of white grapes in the finish after the gasoline / kerosene explosion, but I'm having a hard time finding it while being preoccupied with extinguishing my chest hair.

Possibly this "brew" could also be utilized as paint thinner or to help remove those stubborn concrete driveway oil stains.

WastingFreetime, Apr 16, 2012
1.9/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

For a beer beer aficionado it's cheap swill. For a couch potato redneck it's and acquired taste the improves with time and the next beer. By the time you finish it, you care little for the can design, smell or taste. The mouth-feel can only be described as numb. It may even embolden you to register to a random beer review website to sing it's feint praise before staggering out in search of another can before the buzz wears off and you can again taste and smell again.
The overall rating includes the sack-of-hammers effect of the %10.5 ABV

mrtbeerdesign, Mar 06, 2012
1.63/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance - Pours a bright golden color with a half inch head that dissipates somewhat quickly. The foam is literally crackling, it seems very carbonated.

Smell - Pretty sweet with a wine-like scent to it.. maybe some lemon zest. Malts and a sour alcohol aroma as well.

Taste - Oh my GOD.... there is literally no other flavors present to cover up the overbearing alcohol taste. It's like you're drinking gasoline. This taste very similar to a whiskey ale.

Mouthfeel - Light body with high carbonation.

Overall - After a few sips I'm literally gagging.. I'm dumping this tallboy down the drain.

jsisko01, Feb 25, 2012
3.43/5  rDev +83.4%

While it's one of the most bitter flavors I've ever had from a tallboy, CAMO Black Ice will really get you the most bang for your buck. This stuff carries a serious bite. The initial taste, although strong, is actually not that horrible. It WILL, however, give your face an oogly-moogly expression if you're not accustomed to drinking it. The nice thing about it is how quickly it can get you on the level. For the average person a single tallboy will get you a healthy buzz and anything beyond 2 is guaranteed tipsy-status. If you can get past the aftertaste this stuff makes a long day at work seem like less of a big deal at the end of the day.

staticparadox, Feb 05, 2012
1.15/5  rDev -38.5%

Can dated "3330", brewed by "Five Star Brewing Co, Inc" in Lacrosse, WI and Latrobe PA. Wasn't Five Star going to be the new name of Viking before they went with Valkyrie? Don't blame them for the name change, I wouldn't want to be mistaken for being responsible for brewing this garbage either...

Into a large mug it does indeed pour urine gold with a rapidly fading white cap of fizzling bubbles. Rapid visible carbonation, crystal clear, looks like a sparkling cider.

Smells like a musty dishrag soaked with spoiled grape juice. Fusel alcohol fumes.
Starting to think this was a very bad idea.

Harshly astringent and overcarbonated. It tastes like alcohol and white grape juice that has started to turn. Sharp and lip-curling foul taste of fusel alcohol and sickly sweet white grape juice (likely from wine yeast). Just bad, real bad. One of the worse malt liquors on the market, pretty much the bottom of the barrel for a $1.49 can.

emerge077, Jan 27, 2012
1.02/5  rDev -45.5%

A - pours a orange yellow animal urine with a head that dissipates rapidly
s - smells like fermented corn syrup
t - it tastes bad, sweet and metalic, like bad beer mixed with a chemical.
m - you must focus your mind and overcome your natural response to spit it out, once you master that you then must attempt to swallow it.
o - This single 22oz can of beer will probably get you wasted and you will have a headache for a couple of days. Worse is that you wont feel right for a while, its like the impurities remain inside your body and reek havoc on your system. I hate this stuff, I sometimes buy it for people as a joke.

C2H5, Jan 14, 2012
1.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

The eighth entry in SwillFest 2011. It pours a clear straw topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises bubblegum, vanilla, cream soda, and corn syrup. Boo. The taste holds notes of lemon rind, tart mandarin orange skin, corn syrup, and rotten vanilla bean. More boo. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a kinda syrupy feel. Overall, a highly objectionable malt lickah, one that I wish followed the harshly sweet smell.

TMoney2591, Jul 03, 2011
2.23/5  rDev +19.3%

Served in a tulip

This is part of swillfest...I'm so sorry body.

This is a pale straw color that isn't really appetizing to the eyes. The nose has some puffed rice and anise. I really think this smells like butthole. I truly don't think it's a very favorable taste as well. There is a lot of corn syrup and pain. It's seriously hard to get down. Overall this is a terrible beer. 'Nuff said.

Vdubb86, Jul 03, 2011
1.93/5  rDev +3.2%

Felt like both something new & something ghetto, this fit the bill. Hence, the 24 oz from a gas station for 1.25.

Typical canary yellow pour, albeit w/ way more white head than I expected. Faint rice smell, followed by AL-CO-HOL. Figured it'd be obvious, but not that much. I'll try anything once though, maybe I'll be surprised...

Tastes weirdly like apple juice, with nowhere near the burn the paint-thinneresque scent suggests. No real mouthfeel to speak of, goes down like water because the carbonation vanishes within a minute.

This doesn't have the standard malt liquor funk to it. Problem is, for that category I kinda LIKE that funk. I'd rather a beer try for flavor and boldly fail than to not even make the attempt.

Enjoy that 1.25, Camo. You're not getting another one from me.

longbongsilver, Dec 04, 2010
2.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 24-ounce can into a half-liter beer glass. Not all at once.

Appearance: Slightly heavier than "straw-colored" and with a pretty decent head which recedes quickly leaving behind light-to-moderate lacing. Doesn't really look all that bad.

Smell: I actually kind of appreciate the scent here. There's a very distinct wine-like aroma with quite a bit of corniness to it. As a "beer" I would fail it, but being a "malt liquor" gives it a little leeway there. Slightly sweet'n'sour grape/rubbing alcohol.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Dear God. It starts out very smooth, nothing too over-the-top. Beer is moderately oily with low carbonation. As it bubbles down, however, you get the feeling you have just imbibed some watered-down gasoline. Bitter to a fault, pointless alcohol content. On the plus side, it rinses very clean, leaving you free to eat some chips or something to wash away the taste.

Drinkability: Only drink it to get drunk for next-to-nothing. Would certainly never recommend this beer to anyone for any purpose.

Lauthaha, Nov 04, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Thought I would switch it from craft brew tonight, and go back to the basics with a little malt liquor. On deck: Camo, and King Cobra. Let's get this party started...

Poured from 24oz can into an Old Raspy pint glass..

A - Pours an apple juice color with a two finger froth head. Head almost immediately dissipates...

S - Smells like wine. Grapes and alcohol...

T - Wow, the alcohol is very apparent. Starts sweet then you are slapped in the face with an alcohol bite. Pour a couple of shots into your morning glass of grape juice, and this will probably be close to the outcome...

M - Light bodied with lots of carbonation...

D - I like to pride myself on being a person that enjoys really good beers, but at the same time can still enjoy swill, but this one goes over the top. Won't be buying this again. If your on a really tight budget, and looking to catch a fast buzz; maybe. Otherwise, I would suggest to look elsewhere...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Oct 20, 2010

Pours decently for a malt liquor style lager. Nice head of white foam, and a clear dark golden body.

The aroma is very astringent, lots of corn and tobacco characteristics. Dry and powdery too.

Taste wise it is very rich in the tobacco flavor, and kind of leathery and buttery.

Crisp and lots of carbonation up front. Delves into a burning ethyl feel for the finish. It almost feels/tastes like somebody dumped a shot of shitty whiskey into a beer.

TheSarge, Oct 15, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -33.2%

I have to say up front that I drink cheap malt liquor all the time. I enjoy it. I am not biased on this review.

I've had another 10.5% ABV high gravity ice malt liquor, and that was Pit Bull Ice. Same ABV, same style, same substyle, same price range. Pit Bull Ice is completely drinkable, yet Camo Black Ice is not. That about sums up the entire Camo range of products.

When you get up to 10.5% on a cheap high gravity you are going to get into that grapey wine taste. I don't like that taste. If I wanted cheap wine there is plenty of Cisco, Night Train, and Mad Dog available. I want beer. Drinking this Black Ice is like having a carbonated bum wine. NOTHING but grapey flavor. Hell, this could pass for a grape flavored beer along the lines of FOUR Loko.

I don't see the point in choking this down when Hurricane High Gravity or Steel Reserve are just as effective and actually taste good! You might need an extra can to match the potency but you won't be making that bitter beer face each time you take a drink.

My Review: Smells and tastes like grape juice mixed with rubbing alcohol. Leaves a sour taste on your tongue. Oily.

Bottom line: Don't combine high gravity malt liquor and bum wine. Pick one or the other.

My suggestion is to go for an Earthquake at 12.0% ABV and $1.19 a tallboy. Even THAT tastes better.

troobie, Aug 02, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -33.2%

Ive sold it so assumed it was drinkable.
A- watery cheap beer. Weak foamy head that seems unstable with itself for some reason. like some of it dies and some grows?
S- Lots of alcohol and a bad corn cheap ass beer smell.
T-Horrible. I absolutely cannot finnish this beer! Its just cheap nasty beer alcohol corn.
M- Feels like a typical ice beer but way worse.The last thing you will be thinking about.
D- Its really unpleasing. I cant even finish it. This is like a desperation beer( I dont care if it tastes like burning rubber i need to get hammered cheap!)
The upside is it is one of the cheapest beers you will find. The alcohol:price is very decent.

dditto2, Jul 27, 2010
1.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of alcohol, some malts. Taste is of alcohol and not good at all. No real beer flavor here. Feels light with a slight burn in the mouth and is one of the least drinkable beers I have tried. Overall this beer is borderline disgusting.

tone77, Apr 30, 2010
1.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Why Dave why do you insist on doing this to me.

A: Pours a pale yellow with a foamy head. No lace.

S: Aromas of corn, bread, and a cat's litter box.

T: Sweet corn, cane sugar, floor stripper.

M: Light, thin, fizzy.

D: Would rather drink what's in the cat's litter box.

tpd975, Mar 09, 2010
1.18/5  rDev -36.9%

The infamous Camo Black Ice. Shared at our tasting yesterday so as to run the gamut from awful to amazing.

A: The pour is crystal clear and very, very pale yellow in color. The head is initially white and fluffy, but disappears almost as quickly as it arrived.

S: The nose is dominated by a sweet, airy rice aroma. There's a touch of grain sweetness and a fair amount of skunk.

T: I didn't think the flavor could get much worse than the nose, but somehow, it did. This one is all rice, corn, and booze. Just awful.

M: Very, very light body. The carbonation is fairly high, but it doesn't do much to help out the watery beer.

D: One of the most godawful things I've put in my mouth. Thanks Jacob and Jer for sharing this one...very generous.

womencantsail, Feb 01, 2010
1.05/5  rDev -43.9%

Another great find of a beer in a ghetto liquor store. Pours golden with a slight haze, big bad white foamy head that dies down relatively quickly to a small cap with a spot or two of lace. Smells of honey, plastic, ammonia, and hot garbage on the nose. Tastes of sour grapes, plastic, corn drenched in rubbing alcohol, and the finish brings a bit of cookie and a roll of pennies. Medium to light in body, not too sure because I can't really keep it in my mouth too long without discomfort, very high carbonation. This is probably the worst beer I've ever had, but one day I want to try Evil Eye. One day. Until then, I hate myself for buying this, even if it was just for a laugh. I think I have a headache after 2.3 oz.

vacax, Jan 16, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -26.2%

Ahh Camo, nothing turns a bad day before pay day intoa worse day before payday faster.

So after a wee bit of a car fire I needed to get slammed and do it as cheaply as possible, and lo and behold 2 big cans of 10.5% ABV swill for 2 bucks at my local mini-mart, "This should do the trick!" I thought as I walked back home to begin drinking my night away.

After I cracked one opened I noticed a distinct paint-thinner like smell, never a good sign.

It tasted something like rubbing alcohol mixed with ground up pennies The good thing is, once you've downed about half a can you begin to not taste it anymore

Unfortunately, this was probably the first time I've ever been hung over just drinking beer.

Now, I'll probably never touch the stuff again, but in it's defense I have to say that it does what it's intended to do very well, which is to get you as shitfaced as possible as quickly and inexpensively as possible.

Otacon, Jul 22, 2009
1.2/5  rDev -35.8%

My can mission continues, CAN you dig it? This is not part of the review, but Rob Tod and I were talking on Saturday about the canned beer phenomenon as reported in the latest issue of "All About Beer" and the big thing holding (most) craft brewers back from canning is a lack of available cans. This could be an entry-level industry if people wanted to fill a void. Just like being a cooper - it was a dying craft for which there is now a huge demand. Just sayin' ...

Okay, is this beer capable of getting a head? I poured repeatedly, only to see what little developed devolve into wisps. The hell with it! I moved on. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nice. Especially since it was all downhill from there. The nose had a sharp paint thinner-like quality which is not optimal. OK, I am not stupid, I get the point - it is a cheap buzz at 10.5 ABV in a low-priced 24-oz. can, but ZOUNDS!, does it need to be so obnoxious? Mouthfeel was thin with a hot alcohol burn on the tongue replaced with a green apple flavor. Phew. The finish left me (literally) breathless. It was a really hot beer from start to finish and undoubtedly smoked a couple of brain cells and a region of my liver. Man, I would be hard pressed to crack another of those.

woodychandler, Jun 23, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -11.8%

i usually dont drink this stuff, but it is not below me and i did have a can of this the other day during some an intense rockband xbox sesh. i didnt pour it out, but the can is pretty tight. i like the explosion thing and the military style font. unfortunatly its not very good after that. it smells like cornflakes and alcohol. it tastes like cornflakes and paint thinner. mouthfeel? i dunno i was drinking it as fast as possible to avoid the taste. drinkability is low seeing as how its 10.5% and terrible, BUT there is a silver lining, i felt pretty awesome immediatly following consumption. its a double edged sword.

DESTRO, May 25, 2009
2.13/5  rDev +13.9%

24oz can acquired in trade with Kevin (thanks, I guess!).

I've been trying to get the local PA crew to drink this one for a while now, but for some reason, it took some arm twisting and constant urging!

Poured a medium yellow color with an averaged sized head. Yep, smells and tastes like a Malt Liquor - corny and just nasty.

Notes from: 3/14/08