Camo Black Extra - Camo Brewing Company

poor

Camo Brewing Company
Nevada, United States

American Malt Liquor |  12.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-30-2010)
1.5/5  rDev -41.6%

Camo Black Extra has a thin, white head, a deep, burnished orange-gold appearance, some bubble streams, and no lacing left behind. The aroma is not so strong, but a deep inhalation reveals cheap, store-brand, out-of-date caramel candy, wet grain husk, and other unidentifiable and unpleasant odors. Taste is of cheap, stale candy, overriding and highly unpleasant alcohol, and even a hop bite, if that can be believed. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, with a chalky under-taste. Camo Black Extra finishes highly boozy and terribly unpleasant. I poured it out. Bad stuff.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Aug 17, 2014
1.73/5  rDev -32.7%

Seeing as how Camo Black Ice was just about the shittiest malt liquor to pass these lips, it was only fitting to try the "Extra" version to *truly* plumb the depths of the worst beers on the planet.
For science. Here's to bad decisions...

Bright saturated orange color, rapid champagne carbonation, thin layer of white foam on the surface that does lace slightly. Audibly fizzy foam crackles like rice krispies.

Smells like artificial grape flavoring, energy drink, and Flintstones vitamins.

Tastes godawful. Very harshly astringent, vague paper and grape juice flavors, descending into utter malaise and ennui. Way overcarbonated and fizzy, rapidly fades into a numbing boozy aftertaste.

Even drinking this as cold as possible doesn't help mask the terrible taste. If you are just looking to get drunk, whiskey is a far better option.

Delightful story about Camo: http://goo.gl/uKrqxU

“It’s a unique category that appeals to college students and the ethnic market. It’s definitely skewed toward the male market.”

emerge077, Mar 04, 2014

Mugenlude, Dec 05, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -31.9%

kguyty, Sep 24, 2013

longbongsilver, Jul 16, 2013

Hagatha420, May 02, 2013

worldecay, Nov 26, 2012
1.7/5  rDev -33.9%

If I was a bum alcoholic, this would be perfect, sadly I'm not yet to that point yet, anyway. I picked this up at a local liquor store for $1.35, I wasn't expecting much, its a good thing I didn't get my hopes up, because this stuff is exactly what you pay for. At first i was thinking it wouldn't be too bad, it had a sweet apple kinda smell to it, the appearance was that of a normal lager, then.... I took a sip... I figured I should have braced myself, but not for anything like that. You can taste the alcohol as if its a boilermaker, however, it had kind of a sweet aftertaste that wasn't too bad, other than that for a lack of better words it tasted... "Spoiled" and pretty bitter. Drinking it too fast would make some of the most veteran drinkers cringe. Anyway, bottom line is, if your looking to get drunk, fast, and cheap, this is exactly what you need. For any other purpose, it doesn't really have one.

Mrsoul517, Nov 10, 2012

dubmax, Oct 20, 2012

rjl910953, Oct 13, 2012

t0rin0, Sep 09, 2012
3.2/5  rDev +24.5%

With "imported hops and extra malted barley", how could this not be good? Pours a clear golden color with a short lived golden head. The expected aromas of corn and sugar are there. Lots of apple and banana, but none of those imported hops. Tastes a bit sweet like coconut (maybe from rice?). Corn sugar and a little bit of bread flavor. Not bad, actually.

womencantsail, Jul 16, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +72.4%

People really seem to hate THIS beer, but being on a fixed income, I LOVE CAMEO EXTRA BLACK!!! I will the admit the overall taste is, well yuck! I drink a 24oz can by pouring it into a pint glass, then SLAMING the whole glass down in one gulp!! I get two glasses per 24oz. can. And at $1.44 a can here in Portland, Oregon, it is ONE HELL OF A GOOD, CHEAP BUZZ ya all!

wiseme, Apr 23, 2012
1.88/5  rDev -26.8%

Special Reserve Camo Black Extra Ultra Premium High Gravity Lager Beer pours a typical lager yellow with no bells or whistles. A thin bubble ring resides around the rim of the pint. Aromas are moderately unpleasant. Sweet beer funk. This tastes like a weird concoction: PBR, Vodka, & sugar. There is a bad aftertaste of sweet alcohol with a residual thick liquid. At first six ounces there was some nice density, good bubbles, unfortunately masked by the bad taste. Last eighteen ounces no character develops, just the temperature. Overall this was mostly bad. It had some moderate attributes, but in the end taste is everything. I don't want to kill this beer because it is a beer, and if Buyability was a rating category this would be a 5. 24 FL OZ, 12.2 ABV, $1.59. As a beer advocate, I prefer this to an equally garbagy cheap ABV flavored E drink.

AMo, Dec 02, 2011
1.18/5  rDev -54.1%

Had a tall can of Camo Black Extra (24 oz., 12.2% ALC)...

It does look decent upon pouring it in a tall glass, but upon a smell test it gives a rancid flavor.

The actual taste is quite an experience: I went from "this is ok," to "this is the worst 'malt liquor' I've ever had," in a matter of milliseconds, from the initial intake to the aftertaste. This brew is distinctively horrid. I'm down with Hurricane, I can do 211, but this is another level of putridness. The aftertaste is a mixture of rotting apricots and maggot-infested grapes of wrath...

The only reason to drink Camo Black Extra is budget and a very, very tight one. Even then, please save yourself the misery and buy a Four Loko or Joose.

blocks, Apr 12, 2011
1.35/5  rDev -47.5%

24oz can and 12.2%abv, to me, makes for some hell on earth for me, me thinks.

It pours okay; brilliantly clear golden colour with a fast shrinking head of foam.

The smell is bordering on sickly sweet, like most of the style, with a strange aroma of grapes.

Palate invasion! It looks like a beer but is very grape forward. Some nasty sweet notes and alcohol follow after my initial shock towards the flavour of grapes. Lots of heat and more grapes is what follows and I can't take it any more. Down the drain you go.

Bitterbill, Mar 27, 2011
2.78/5  rDev +8.2%

CAN you dig an early start to the day? We debated this one on a snow day earlier in the year and the CANsensus is - Start when you're ready. I awoke early for some unknown reason following a night with a 2.5 L plastic bottle of Arsenaloye Strong beer and that should make a nice segue into this gem.

From the CAN: "Special Reserve"; "Imported Hops & Extra Malted Barley for an Extra Smooth Taste (& Flavor)"; "Ultra Premium High Gravity Lager Beer"; "Naturally Brewed Longer with the Highest Quality Extra Malted Barley".

My initial reaction - Rubbish! The term "Ultra" CANjures up MKUltra, the ultra-secret use of LSD on unsuspecting Army GIs and "Extra" reminds me of my time in the PI. "Mama-San, Suzie-Girl tells me there is an extra trick that she knows how to do." "Yes, but Extra is extra!"

The Crack & Glug produced two finger's of fizzy, bone-white head that disappeared like it could not wait to get away from whatever had produced it. In fact, it may have set a new record in terms of dissipation time. They may have "naturally brewed" this CANcoction, but it smelled as natural as plastic. The odor wafting off of it was of Concord grapes - vinous, but not in a good way and sweet as all get-out. My liver began its internal dance, hoping for the best against all odds. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was sizzling hot! OMFG, this was the equivalent of putting your tongue on the grill at the local Japanese steakhouse. Ssssszzzzlle. As the tears ran down my cheeks, a result of my weeping for those who are reduced to drinking this on a routine basis and for mine own dying liver, I girded myself for another sip. The initial heat behind me and my taste buds seared into submission, it reminded me of MD 20/20! No s**t! It was grapey as hell with a fusel alcohol burn known only to the most hardcore of us. I had a buddy in SoCal for whom that was his drink of choice and I sampled it in its various forms many times until I realized that even I could not hang. Wow, MD 20/20 as a beer!?! Who'da think it? Finish was bone-dry. It might have come off as sweet on the tongue, but from the back of my throat could be heard the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara. It was not unpleasant, actually. It might be attributable to the idea that my Brain Housing Group, not to be CANfused with the Trigger Housing Group, blew off in the first couple of sips, but I was starting to feel mighty mellow, dig? I was now beginning to search for the nearest brown paper bag so that I could join my neighbors in the alley. They are actually a good time, f'real, f'real. In the summer, I will jack up a bomber of some Rogue beer and hang wit' 'em but it's too chilly today. I would NEVER put this in my cooler, but it might make a nice gift to my bros in the alley and it definitely gets the job done. "Works every time," says Billy Dee Wms. Nope, wrong beer, but this works too.

woodychandler, Mar 19, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by alcohol. Taste is, well the 12.2 abv is definatly present. After the initial alcohol burn there is a bit of sweetness to it. Really not much in the way of flavor. Feels light in the mouth with a slight alcohol burn and is not very drinkable. Overall unless you are looking to get wrecked cheap, this beer is best avoided.

tone77, Sep 23, 2010

There is no better description of the perfect beer than this. Very efficient, very cost effective, light on the calories for the punch it packs, and the perfect beer for drinking in a trailer park. If you complain about the "burn" of this, you probably should just quit drinking now. This is the perfect compliment to some good ol' McNaughton's Whiskey, Southern Comfort, or Wild Turkey. Wild Turkey chased with Camo always reminds me of this scene girl from back in the day who introduced me to Heaven's own blend of the two.
You really just don't get much better than Camo Extra Black. The hangover is probably the best part, it lasts all of about 15-30 minutes, and then you're set to go for the day. Two or three cans of this and a fifth of R&R and you're set for a night of graveyard partying, streaking, and just good old blacked out fun.

ManleyIII, Jun 04, 2014