Camo Silver Ice - Camo Brewing Company

awful

Camo Brewing Company
Nevada, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.60% ABV

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 05-21-2003)

Camo Silver Ice has an extremely thin, white head, a clear, golden, somewhat bubbly appearance, but the overall look is not so clean. The aroma is very offensive and is picked up right when the can is cracked open. It is a sickly-sweet, pungent, strong, odor of wet grain husk and rotted candy. The flavor is equally repellent, with grain husk, unusual sweetness, with strong and cheap alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, with a dastardly chalky under-taste. Camo Silver Ice finishes semi-wet, boozy, and stomach turning. I poured it out.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Aug 17, 2014
1.89/5  rDev -8.7%

Got this in a 40oz bottle at a local gas station because I want to try all or most of the Camo offerings because I have no idea. Needless to say, this one sneaks up on you with its 10.6% abv. Halfway through, I started feeling the buzz, and by the time I was done, I was definitely in a happy place. This morning... not so much.

If you're looking for a cheap offering with a high abv and don't have serious plans the next day, go for it. It has the ability to surprise, being a dryer malt liquor than others, but it doesn't take long to realize you're practically drinking ethenol-flavored beer.

SteveJeremy, Jun 19, 2014

Peanut2074, Apr 21, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -1%

I have a secret love of bad beers. Someone has to taste it first right? Imported from a Wyoming truck stop.

So...I never expected this $1 can of booze to be a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

But I am Fair so lets pop the top and see what is in the can.

So like almost every malt liquors on earth it does a good job of looking like a Lager. Gold color with a decent white colored head that doesn't last.

Smell. Yeah...Denatured Alcohol and corn. There is a Fruity smell but no Identifiable Fruit. Every home brewer on earth knows the smell of beer fermented too hot.

Dare I taste it? After Superbrew 15 I am an Explorer in badness.It tastes better than expected. Flavor is Apple Juice, Everclear and Crackers. There is no Gag reflex or anything just the taste of your first failure at making a lager in a bad way. Still it isn't revolting. Dryer than most and intensely fruity. I can give this an honest 2.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall it is better than I feared. Still if you buy a can of this you know it will not be BCS.

Zorro, Feb 10, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -27.5%

Camo Silver Ice is one cheap brew. with an abv of 10.6 per 12 oz. The taste is just pain awful. I got the whole 24 oz can down. I will not get this brew again. Even if it is cheap. Rot gut and death in a can. The color is a dark Amber/Yellow color. Smell of alcohol and cheap brew.

nicholas2121, Feb 10, 2014
3.63/5  rDev +75.4%

Last time I had Camo Silver Ice it was 9.0% ABV. Good on Camo for having the stones to raise the ABV.

Remember, all ratings are within the style. It's a style that I'm very familiar with and passionate about.

A: Golden. Retains a semi-ring of lace with some patchy foam in the center. Slight lacing if consumed quickly enough.

S: Champagne mixed with Budweiser. Strong saltiness.

T: Amazingly simple for the ABV. Very balanced. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Nothing too strong. Nothing lingering. Nothing offensive. Bold but reasonably so. I can best describe it as a 10.6% ABV light beer.

M: Extremely high carbonation with a water like feel. The mouthfeel contributes in a large part to the lack of cloyingness.

O: Taking something that should be offensive and making it inoffensive is impressive. Steel Reserve 211 (Silver Label) is less enjoyable to me than this. Now consider that Camo Silver Ice is about 25% stronger and about 2/3rds the price of Steel Reserve 211.

Dear Camo,

Please start selling your products in Northern California.

Thanks,

3.5/5  rDev +69.1%

Bear1964, Jul 21, 2013

dsnyder61, Jun 04, 2013
2.88/5  rDev +39.1%

I know what you're thinking: "didn't you slam Black Ice??" Yes, I did. Since then though, I've heard from others who share my view of the lowly malt liquor as a category of brews who've remarked surprising things about Silver vs Black.

Curiosity got me. Hell, it's cheap, and I'm off work tomorrow.

Tall can to big mug. Got aggressive with the pour towards the end and still no head, yet it's very fizzy. A dirty yellow translucent. Smells quite alch-y, though not in a sweet way. Weird since it's now *stronger* than Black Ice, but whatever, maybe they finessed it somehow. A tiny bit of anonymous hop actually comes out. Drinkin' time...

Pilsner-yet-not-quite tones come through typical of cheap ass malt liquor. Just enough grain backbone to let me know it's there, and a bit of grape. Surprised the flavor, pleasantly so. Mouth on it oddly reminds me more of the Schlitz I tried than the other Camo, probably the fizz & weight.

Obviously it's not craft. But if you were expecting craft, there's no reason to even buy this. For what it is though...did Camo pull a Homer with this one? Why the hell do I... kinda *like* it?

longbongsilver, Apr 06, 2013

harpus, Mar 27, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +87.4%

I don’t quite understand why everyone has such a problem with Camo Silver Ice. I just cracked open a 40 ounce widemouth and am finding it to be quite enjoyable. There’s an aroma reminiscent of grapes that is quite pleasing. The flavor is mildly hoppy and very smooth. I would compare this to a sort of microbrew in the taste department. At 10.6% ABV, you get your money’s worth, which is something I can’t say about many microbrews or common type beers. For the drinker on a budget, I wholeheartedly recommend Camo Silver Ice. Try it...I guarantee that you won’t be disappointed!

shinerod, Jan 07, 2013

micahmye, Dec 10, 2012

t0rin0, Nov 15, 2012
2.35/5  rDev +13.5%

40oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is gold in color and topped with an inch of white head that disappeared almost instantly.

S - I get the typical sweet grain and some toast.

T - I get sweet grains and alcohol.

M - Thin and slick

O - It tastes like most high gravity malt liquors, but the 9% raises the bar for those who are just drinking to get drunk.

buschbeer, Oct 13, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -39.6%

Countfapula, Jun 11, 2012

dubmax, May 29, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +86%

Here is the TRUTH about CAMO SILVER ICE 9.0% ABV

First thing is I have drank just under 300 different brands of beer from everywhere.

Now when it comes to dirt cheap beer this is the BEST that I have ever had!

This beer is worth buying every time.

The taste is smooth and refreshing, pretty good actually for such a cheap and high gravity beer. The taste is comparable to most of the commercial beers that you drink and you get a much quicker buzz for half the price!

I actually prefer the taste of SILVER ICE more than most commercial beers and it gets me feeling the way I want a lot faster and saves me a lot of money.

When it comes to beer this is what I buy. I do not waste extra money to buy a name brand beer that has half of the ABV it just does not make any sense.

All I have to say is I give this beer an overall 5, taste a 4 and everything else a 3 because beer is beer unless you are drinking micro brews which is what REAL BEER is... but I don't always have extra money to buy good stuff.

I read through the reviews. I thought that some people did not give a qualifying assessment for this beer. Look here. This is a CHEAP BEER. The truth is a lot of the products YOU DRINK are very CHEAP. Take a step back and really think and compare. This beer is good! (aside from discussing REAL BEER)

Stick to CAMO 9.0% Silver Ice. I am going to the store and get a 40 oz right now after I get done writing this review and that's for real!

P.S. (I edited my review)

I am back from the store and have drank a 40 oz of CAMO.

I would add that it has a slightly sweet taste. If you are not use to high gravity beer perhaps you may taste the difference, though this is thoughtful information for you, for the best experience pour Camo 9.0 into a glass mug that has a capacity of 24 oz (at least 16 oz) and enjoy this treat as a refresher for the end of your work day and relax watch T.V. or play video games , pre-game for the bars, kick back and read a book etc.

The feeling that Camo 9.0 creates is perfection ENJOY!

One last comment! The reason I specify Silver ICE is because the Camo Black Ice 10.5% is really bad tasting because it has such a foul first taste and going down is hard to get through and thus I say stick to CAMO 9.0%!

iman99, Apr 25, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -27.5%

rydev24, Mar 02, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -22.7%

Bottled by "Camo Brewing Co, Lacrosse, WI" and inkjetted "0239". Hope this isn't years old, doubt it will matter that much though.

Clear glass 40 out of a random dingy cooler. Poured into a large mug, it forms a pretty good sized head and has some rings of lacing that coat the glass. Rapid rising carbonation in sparse streams, urine gold shade. Head lasts for the first couple sips, and eventually breaks apart.

Skunky aroma of the euro pils variety, something vaguely floral suggesting hops. Clear glass will do that… light sweet grain and some musty oxidized notes.

Harsh astringency, tacky and mealy aftertaste. Sticky sweet grain flavor, envelope glue, wet manila folders. Blehhh. Weak and unpleasant in the taste and mouthfeel departments. The astringency is the real dealbreaker here though. Turrible. Run far far away.

Drinking something this godawful really makes one appreciate the good stuff even more.

emerge077, Jan 27, 2012

C2H5, Jan 13, 2012

durwood64, Jan 01, 2012
1.4/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to my good buddy Jesse13713 for splitting his only can of this with me; I owe you man.

A: Pours a hazy piss-yellow with, actually four or so fingers of white head (it may have been a dramatic pour). No retention or lacing, this fades like soda.

S: Aroma is of stale must, wholly unpleasant. Not even any corn sweetness to be found.

T: Corn sweetness definitely comes through here, sugar and corn is all I can taste. Well, that and the alcohol. Metallic, bitter finish.

M: Thin, watery body with light carbonation which fades so quickly it can't even hide this beer's taste.

O: Well, it does go down easily thanks to its watery qualities. But as far as taste, think I'll be holding off on my next drink of this for quite a while.

AwYeh, Mar 18, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -9.2%

Bought this as a joke. Ended up up not being as bad as I expected.

Appearance - Watery yellow and that's about it.

Smell - Like a traditional American Adjunct Lager with slightly more malts.

Taste - Watery, malty and very plain. Watery.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Extremeley drinkable but I don't really want to drink it all. It was ok. Not terrible for what it is; but still pretty poor.

Jesse13713, Mar 18, 2011