Cerveza Monterrey - Cervecería Centro Americana, S.A.

Cerveza MonterreyCerveza Monterrey

poor

Cervecería Centro Americana, S.A. visit their website
Guatemala

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-06-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by instinct2:

2.83/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A Guatemalan beer at a German-based food chain in America? Sure.

It looks the part, to be sure, a pale straw-yellow, though bright with a shining golden hue to it. A soft, not-quite-fluffy but not spritzy bone white head forms and actually manages something before it fizzles down. It even manages a little spotting. Perhaps a touch below average overall, slightly above average for the style, we'll call it average.
This is pretty similar to Corona, particularly, any number of so-called Mexican light lagers, and the like, especially in the smell. It's extremely basic, with too much sweetness off creamed-corn like husk notes and pale malts. It actually doesn't go quite so far as others with the off sweetness, and there may actually be something to it, but it doesn't show entirely in the aroma.
In the taste, though, it actually shows a little malt backbone. It's got grains underlying with a fruity edge to the sweetness, a little husk, and it actually finishes out with a very, very light bitterness.
It's got the soda-like body, avoiding the slickness some are prone to but going the way of being overly spritzy. For the style, though, it does avoid the greater of two evils. It's thin, of course, going a little watery but, again, not as badly as some.

3.25/5  rDev +19%

Pours a straw yellow, with a smallish head of white sudsiness. Virtually no lacing at all.

Nose is sweet, grainy and malty, like a Corona.

Flavor profile follows in line -- a highly malty base of corn or rice, with a slight citrus tanginess, and more grain at the finish. Obviously a knockoff of Corona, but a highly drinkable substitute, and at $4.99 a 6-pack at Aldi, this is a worthy purchase for warm weather sessions.

3.48/5  rDev +27.5%

Appearance: When you picture "beer" this is what it looks like...

Smell: No real smell to speak of...again, when you picture "beer" this is how it smells...a bit skunked. A decent amount of maltiness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Kind of like Corona, but sweeter and fruitier. Tastes a lot like honey to me. Overall pretty good. Quite refreshing and not bitter at all.

Drinkability: Would be great on a nice beach day. I approve.

Overall: Definitely a bit harder to find than Corona. You can find a 6-pack of Cerveza Monterrey at Aldi for about $5-6. I think it's a step up from its Mexican counterpart. Both are refreshing.

I'm not sure what the history of this beer is, but it's got to be based on the popularity of Corona from Mexico. The painted bottle says it all, and the flavor is pretty similar all around. The "best by" date on my bottle is 5 months away, so it's got to be pretty fresh.

It's light straw gold/yellow gold in color beneath a short head of bright white foam that drops shortly. Lacing is average with some nice patches and spots left about the glass.

The aroma displays adjunct-laden sweet malt with just a smear of hops in the background.

The flavor follows suit, and its softly sweet and almost corn-like (not to suggest that it's made with corn) maltiness dominates. There's just enough low-level bitterness beneath to balance it and bring it to a drying finish.

In the mouth it's medium-light in body with a crisp, standard carbonation.

As to drinkability, I think it's right on par with most of the less hoppy European lagers, and perhaps a bit more so than some of the lighter American adjunct lagers. It's not great, but it's not bad (and oddly, the 6-pack I picked up was not skunked - although it did come out of a sealed case).

2.42/5  rDev -11.4%

Review from old notes...my grandpa was excited to share this with me and the only reason I ever picked this up: 7/31/10

A: pale yellow, white head that dicipates quickly.

S: lime and grainy-malt.

T: fizzy water with mild malt and corn...reminded me of a cheap corona.

M: overly carbonated.

D: no. just don't. unless you are desperate or your grandpa wants to share a cold one with you. :)

3.75/5  rDev +37.4%

2.68/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Very clear, pale yellow body with a bright white head of one-quarter inch. There is good head retention and lacing. In addition, there is a steady stream of bubbles. This might be the most pale beer on the market.

Smell: This beer reeks of the musty smells of adjuncts. I don't detect any hops; I'll I smell is rice and corn.

Taste: This beer is nearly flavorless. I do taste some hops in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This beer does feel OK in the mouth. The carbonation is actually refreshing.

Drinkability: I'm sure I would find this beer quite adequate if I lived in Guatemala. This beer doesn't taste, smell, or look bad it just lacks any type of character.

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%

1.73/5  rDev -36.6%

a golden yellow colored beer with decent head and good lacing. This beer had no real special smell, at times it had no smell at all. Taste really wasn't there either. Mouthfeel was like drinking water. Beer was way less than average. Probably wouldn't drink this again.

12 Ounce clear bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Very light yellow color with a little white head that leaves a little lacing

Smell: Slightly skunky smell which seems to go with a lot of these beer types

Taste: Well it is actually not bad. It doesn't have a strong taste but it is suprisingly sweet. Better then most other beers like this.

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is crystal clear pale yellow. This is as clear as water. About a finger of bright white head. Spots of lace remain.

The aroma is mostly skunky corn and weak malt. A sharp tartness seems to drown out everything.

The flavor is much of the same. Light malt and corn. Not a whole lot of flavor to speak of.

Thin and watery body. Loads of carbonation.

Overall it's about what I expected from a beer bought at Aldi's.

This beer is our favorite "session" beer (long session, I mean). While generally we drink heavy beers, it's hard to put away a 12 pack of Two Hearted Ale during a football game without taking a nap. It has a very slight skunky odor, it is fairly high in carbonation, and its general flavor is deliberately similar to Corona. Indeed, the packaging makes that obvious. After dozens of 6 packs of Monterrey, I am no longer buying Corona, and compared to that, Monterrey has a slightly softer flavor, perhaps very slightly more fruity character.

Without reservation, I can say this beer marries with 2-3 slices of lime like no other beer I can name. Squeeze the juice from the lime slices into it, drop them in, give the juice a moment to evenly distribute, and this beer will go down like soda pop on the 4th of July. Women, in particular, like this beer with limes.

This is not a beer for you to philosophically consider or praise like some antique wine: this is picnic and hot day beer, and as such, it is very good.

The biggest problem I have had, is introducing this beer, sold only at Aldi, to friends who poo-poo it because it is not a name brand beer.

1.65/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: Light colored semi transparent beer with a short lived white head.
Aroma: Non-distinct beer smell.
Flavor: Non-distinct beer flavor. Light bodied harshly carbonated.
Overall: There are no redeeming qualities to be attributed to this beer.  It only has a beer-like smells and taste. Don't waste your money on buying it to drink; beer like this is only good as a cooking ingredient.

2.45/5  rDev -10.3%

A- Pale straw yellow with about an inch of bright white head. Retains and laces decently, although not extremely well.

S- Very little here. Slightly metallic, a little lightly toasted malt.

T- Again, not much here, but it's not bad. Lightly toasted malt, slight hop bitterness at the end. I like it better than Corona, actually.

M- Soda. Very light and watery.

D- High for chugging/drinking games, but not that high for beer drinking.

3.14/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

As I was helping my mother unload the car, I saw a 6 pack of this stuff. Knowing that I'm a beer guy, she offers me to take one. I'm also a "I do not turn down free beer" guy.

A - Looks like a much more colorful US macro, but the same shade as I would see in a German pils. Still, better than the average adjunct lager.

S - The smell, however, is not. Exactly what I'd expect from the style, corn and rice grains. Mild fruity esters keep it interesting enough though.

T - I have to say, I am very surprised. This is an adjunct lager that doesn't make me wanna turn in disgust. It's actually not bad at all. I can even see this being quite pleasant on a sunny day (it's raining right now). Slighty sweeter than your Coors or Budweiser, more fruity as well. The fruitiness and sweetness team up against the corn and rice, hide it, and make this pretty decent. Hops are nonexistant.

M - Fizzier than I would have hoped. Almost like soda going down, minus the syrupy mess.

O - Shocked in a good way. I would never have expected this from an Aldi exclusive. If this were offered to me in comparison to your other macros, Bud, Coors, Ka-stone, what have you, I would choose this time and time again. An upgrade from Corona.

2.6/5  rDev -4.8%

From Corona to a Guatemalan knock-off we move on to Cerveza Monterrey. What the hell, if you're going to review light-struck beers why not do two in a row? Besides it provides a basis of comparison between Latin American Lagers as well. At $35 AUD a carton from ALDI this beer presents sensational value over the Corona so if it can pull it off we might have a new "summer beer" on our hands and the Guatemalans can stick it to their Mexican cousins.

Disclaimer: No lemons/limes were harmed in the making of this review.

Poured from a 355ml (US imported from California) bottle into a Stange.

A: Slightly different to Corona - the body is a lighter clear yellow, with a 1 inch white head that sticks fairly well.

S: More on the corn husk here too, with the noted vegetal matter and a touch of bread yeast. Overall the aroma is a little less offensive than the Corona, but again I'm not judging it with a lemon/lime wedge where the Mexican beer shines.

T: The flavour profile with this is definitely more corn/grainy with some prominent husk characters, vegetal matter, and sour bread in the background. There is a dry finish and apart from the balance here being more towards corn it is remarkably similar to the brew it is mimicking.

M: The feel is mid to light, watery and with a little bit more carbonation than the Corona - in this respect the Corona is much better.

D: Well it was a close one between the Corona and this however I think given the large price difference this aces the Mexican Lager. I did however prefer the skunk of the Corona to the overbearing corn of Monterrey (wow, never thought I would say skunk beats grain), and overall with an added lemon/lime wedge Corona would be a more refreshing combination of flavours.

Food match: Again if it's Mexican and has lime you're on the right track - in fact I'm thinking about having a black bean, rice, lime and cilantro Dos Capos right now, mmm.

3.6/5  rDev +31.9%

Monterrey pours a clear amber, a few shades darker then most North American macros. Head goes to well over two fingers before Turing rocky and melting down to a full carpet of foam, heavy ring, and lots of lace along the sides of my 16oz beer tumbler.

Nose is a pleasant toasted barley malt and hops. Palate is a wonderful toasted barley malt, hops, and the bight of carbonation.

I find that Monterrey Cerveza from Cerveceria Monterret, S.A is one of the better Latin American beers and that it is a welcome addition to my dinner table.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Cerveza Monterrey from Cervecería Centro Americana, S.A.