Moza Bock Beer - Cervecería Centro Americana, S.A.

Moza Bock BeerMoza Bock Beer

awful

Cervecería Centro Americana, S.A. visit their website
Guatemala

Bock |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Dogbrick on 02-19-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 43 | Reviews: 24
Reviews by BeerBob:
4.2/5  rDev +36.4%

Moza Bock Beer pours out of a 12fl oz dark brown bottle like it was a nitro! Head went to over four fingers then starts to settled out like a well poured stout. Lacing and tan foam abound from an average pour into my 26oz beer glass.

Nose is a damp pleasant sweet barley malt. Palate is a pleasant sweet barley malt, not cloy or over represented... this stuff really tastes good.

The bittering of the hops and the sweet barley malt mingle well with the carbonation for a most wonderful beer from Guatemala City.

2.38/5  rDev -22.7%

Pretty damn dark, past the 40 SRM so it is in the stout range cause barely any light gets through it … off white lace is there but does not stick. Dark sugar candy with a faded charcoal aroma with some estery almost fusel alcoholic aromas. Medium bodied with a weird diet soda and light charcoal flavour, hops are missing in the picture other than a vague and stumbling bitterness. Dextrin sweetness build towards the finish and adds some sweetness. The reminds me of the fake chocolate milk I tired to make with skim mild and carob powder … just not happening.

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.04/5  rDev -1.3%

Jason survived on these while hiking through the country. Apparently 4.5 to 5%, this is not really a bock. Small, even sour aroma significant mollasses. Big soapy head on dark body, lots of foamy lace,lots of cream at te bottom. Closer o porter. lighter than average mouthfeel. Sweet finish, reminds me of a malt liquor,only sweeter, lighter ABV, closer to a good root beer.

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Moza Bock Beer
12 oz. brown glass bottle

Notes: Clear, very dark mahogany body. The rocky light tan head drops readily, leaving limited spotty lacing behind. In the nose there's a bit of dark caramel livened by a hint of dark fruit. The flavor follows, adding a delicate touch of spicy and grassy hops into the mix. Moderate bitterness. Short finish: malt fades quickly, some minor spicy & herbal hops remain. Approachable, and refreshing, but ultimately not really satisfying; and not a bock. If anything it's more of a dunkle but even then it's lacking a chocolate edge. It's what I'd call a "European dark lager".

2.91/5  rDev -5.5%

Surprisingly dark, brown in hue, I might even call in it black with ruby highlights. There is impressive color depth for a bock. The head was beige in color, at the apex it was a sliver of a finger in height, then it quickly faded to a thin collar. Unimpressive. It looks dead in my glass. There was no subsequent lacing. Appearance has some positives but it is only slightly above-average overall. The nose is weakly malty with slight sweet, caramely notes. Dark fruit undertones. Potency is low and the bouquet doesn’t really say much. Clean. Malty enough but it is still ordinary. It’s not inviting because I can’t really hear it speak. Still, I’m going to take a sip. The palate is very pleasant. However the palate lacks details and it desperately lacks assertiveness. There is some nice matly sweetness with dark fruit undertones and some traces of caramel and molasses. Clean until the aftertaste where it becomes sticky. The flavor profile is boring, mainly because it comes a cross flat; it has good taste but no depth. It doesn’t take much thought to drink this bock. Drink, drink, drink… empty glass. What’s the point? Simple. Forgettable. There is nothing bad about it but its most positive attributes are “good” at best. Medium in body, low carbonation, dull mouthfeel, thankfully there is some bulk, too bad it is lifeless. It is very drinkable but not in a good way. I can’t see a need to drink this again. Still, it is cool to see a bock from Guatemala. I purchased this bottle in Omaha for $1.70.

3.02/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a very dark brown color with a 1 inch head. Smell is light, a bit of malts. Taste is very mild, malts, some sweetness, not a lot going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall, not a bad beer, and would probably taste much better in the tropics, but somewhat lacking in flavor and punch.

2.59/5  rDev -15.9%

I indulged in this one down in Guatamala while honeymooning at the Mayan ruins of Tikal last month. I was interested to try something other than a generic yellow lager since that's pretty much how they roll in Central America. Review conducted from notes.

The pour gives me a cola color without head or even a thin cap. The nose somewhat redeems this with some legitimate dark malt. Some nuttiness is discermable and appreciated.

I do get some dark malt in the taste as well but mostly this is dull and lifeless, sitting passively in my mouth waiting for me to swallow. Mouthfeel is thin and a bit chalky, which can't be good for business.

I wouldn't really call this a bock, more a macro lager with extra malt and some food coloring. Yeah, there's a reason you've never heard of this one.

3.88/5  rDev +26%

12 oz. brown bottle, with a monk on the front freaking out 2 goats by holding a stein of beer above them (it's presumably Moza in the mug). It's interesting, I translated "Moza" online, and it says that it means "Young Woman". I don't know about that.
Beer pours pretty dark, almost porterish, with slight translucence revealing a dark brown color. Head pours almost nil, but somehow grows to about 1/4" of foam. Smell is earthy malt, slightly grassy, slightly brown sugar. Taste is very smooth and somewhat muted. Slight malt sweetness is present, but not much more than that. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. Good drinkability, i could probably toss back quite a few of these.

3.45/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Just like their Famosa it pours with no head (well a faint brownish ring around the edge) so of course there is no lace. Very dark, brown color. Nose is a malty, sweet raisin. Body is a little thin for a bock. Starts sweet, finishes smooth and sweet but there are better bocks. The ABV is 4.5%.

2.95/5  rDev -4.2%

I'm not blown away, but it was only $9.99 for the 12pk at Winn Dixie plus I got $0.05 toward my fuel perks. Whoopie! They were out of Becks dark so I thought I'd give it a try. It poured real easy, even with my sore wrist. The color was a blushing red when I shined my smartphone flashlight through my frosty cold glass. It didn't foam over the top which was good, I hate soaking the paper towel I have rubberbanded around the bottem of my drinking glass. The second one seems to be going down pretty smooth. The foam clung to the side of the glass all the way down on the first one, but this one the glass is practically clean, not sure how that happened, although I didn't put a paper towel around this one, hmmm. Bitterness builds slightly then tapers off with a sweet barley finsh. I will likely end up getting it again, due more for it's affordability though.

OK Guys, for $5.49 at your local grocer (in my case Winn-Dixie); this brew seriously kicks @ss and I'm very picky about my dark lagers, porters and stouts...

This brewski will throw down with Green Flash Double Stout or New Belgium Black Lager any day for half the price!

Hold on while I crack another... MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm; DARK, Chocolatey, ZZZzzzing...

That's what I'm talking about — REAL beer...

3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Tried this at the Goose Island April Beer Academy. Pours a dark, almost-black color with a tan, disappearing head. There's a nice sweet, malt scent that's rather present. The taste isn't particularly complex, but is sweet, syrupy and malty, and nicely backed by hops. An almost coffee/toffee-like aftertaste made this a tasty brew.

All the previous reviews seemed to frown upon this beer - not sure why. It wasn't particularly complex or unique, but certainly not a bad beer.

1.91/5  rDev -38%

My brother brought this back for me on his recent trip to Guatemala. can--excellent.

Pours a dark brown color with plum highlights--almost looks like a scotch ale to me. Thin one finger cream colored head holds nicely on the edges of the glass with a bit of fizz in the middle. Sweet caramel malt notes with a touch of hoppiness. Toasted grains and barley are strong enough that if I closed my eyes I would think this was a lager just from the aroma.

Almost has no flavor. Very slight sweet caramel presence and a touch of plum. Aftertaste of toasted grains and a touch of bitterness on the tip of the tongue. Thin and watery on the palate. Bock bier? nope. I guess they haven't figured it out down there yet. Very light and easy drinking, but drinkability is quite low on this sucker.

3.12/5  rDev +1.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Moza Bock Beer from Cervecería Centro Americana, S.A.