Famosa (Gallo) - Cervecería Centro Americana, S.A.

Famosa (Gallo)Famosa (Gallo)

awful

awful

Cervecería Centro Americana, S.A. visit their website
Guatemala

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-05-2002

This beer is known as Gallo outside the US.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Famosa (Gallo) Alström Bros
3.72/5  rDev +62.4%

Gallo (or as it's known outside of Guatemala, Famosa) is a decent beer for what it is in my opinion. The first time I had this, which was at the restaurant at the Hotel Toliman in San Lucas Toliman, I was given a frosted mug (which I wish more places would do!) which was a nice touch. Upon first pour, I noticed that it was a light yellowish beer, much to the likes of other beers like Miller, Bud, etc. I honestly didn't notice as much of a skunky smell to it as other reviewers have mentioned on here as much of a hoppy/corny smell. As for the taste, it doesn't have too much flavor, but that doesn't mean it"s all that bad of a beer. Honestly, the light flavor of it to me actually makes it a great beer to drink. I may just pick this up right when I get back into the States (as I was able to find it at a liquor store near me in MN, Total Wines & More) as it will be great to have just for the nostalgia of being in Guatemala as well as it being not all that bad of a beer (honestly, I think this beer tastes somewhat better than some beers like Miller and stuff, so that's saying a lot)

3.32/5  rDev +45%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I drank this for about a week straight while in Guatemala the end of 2014. When compared to craft beers in the states, this obviously wont stack up very well. Yet, when considering what its supposed to be, and rating it that way, I think its a pretty darn good beer. Liking to maybe a Stella. Okay, not as quite as nice as Stella... but in the same category. Easy drinking, I never tired of these while on my stay in Guatemala.

Its a backpacker's beer. An adventurer's beer. I heard some rumors there that its a "for a good cause" beer.

I remember an old "drinkability" rating category here on BA that is now long gone. I'd nearly give it a 5 on that. If they sold it in the states, I'd buy it now and again just for the novelty of it. Good stuff.

2.58/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.97/5  rDev +29.7%

Haha, everyone says this is "awful". Well this is the first Guatamalan beer I have had, and probably the last, so I'll give it my best shot.

Appearance (2.5) : It pours a 2 finger head but it disappears almost instantly. The body is pale, straw, bad municipal city water colored.

Aroma (2.75) : Lots of corn in lots of different configurations - tortilla, tortilla chip, dry corn kernels...you name it. The faintest earthy dirty hop leaf comes out if you whiff hard enough.

Flavor (3) : The hop actually comes to the forefront with earthy flavors and a stinging carbonation. Behind it lies a malty corn body and ends with a sour hop leaf and distant morning breath.

Mouthfeel (2.75) : Imagine a bomb is tied to your tongue and inside is carbonation. The minute the beer touches your lips it explodes and waves of carbonation induce your palate into a stupor that you've never experienced. Underneath that is a smooth creamy body.

Overall (2.97) : If I were in Guatemala I'd have this. But here in America there are better choices and I'd have to say Famosa is a fair beer, but not a good one.

-TAJ

2.75/5  rDev +20.1%

Bottle from colonial Spirits labeled Famosa.
Pours a crystal clear deep straw/light golden color with a huge frothy tightly bubbled head that lasts forever. Aromas of skunk at opening faded quickly. Light ashy mineral aromas with faint sweet malt and hints of apple and hops. The flavor is non descript fruity sweet with a hint of caramel. Little to no hop flavor or bitterness. Nothing horribly objectionable, but nothing exciting either. If I were baking in the Guatemala sun an ice cold Famosa just might do the trick.

2.32/5  rDev +1.3%

2.25/5  rDev -1.7%

When in central America, this is the best of the macro beers that are typically available. That's not saying much, but i have had some dreadful beer out of clear glass bottles in Honduras, and in comparison this is totally fine! Easy to drink but relatively tasteless.

2.4/5  rDev +4.8%

2.2/5  rDev -3.9%

2.76/5  rDev +20.5%

2.16/5  rDev -5.7%

1.78/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured a pale yellow with a medium white head. Aroma and taste of grains and cereal, corn and light fruity notes. A light body with moderate carbonation, a bit watery. Finish the same as taste with a bit of a bitter grain ending. Best served cold and drink fast, as it warmed up aroma and taste begin to deteriorate. There are a lot of good brews out there, this is not one of them.

LOVE this beer, but for pretty much sentimental reasons. Back in the mid 90s, when the civil war was still on in Guatemala, that little nation somehow became the darling of the backpacker and hippy-expatriate set. Some friends and I bummed around the country for three weeks. This was the only beer I saw the whole time there. Honestly, it's not great tasting, but it easy to drink, and reminds me of an awesome adventure, some great friends, and a fantastically beautiful country full of wonderful people.

So I score it higher than its taste merits, but for me, the Gallo is about more than just its flavor.

2.56/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a can into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a light straw amber with a half finger white head with good retention and light lacing. Aroma of sweet malt, adjuncts, hints of sulfer and a mild tartness. Flavor is sweet malt with somewhat rough grainy character, like biting into a wheat grain; not unpleasant, but unrefined. Finishes with light grassy hops and some residual unrefined graininess. Light bodied with good carbonation. Although American adjunt lager is not a style I seek out, they usually are so mild and bland that it's hard for me to fault them for being exactly what they are designed to be, a pleasant lowest common denominator. The seem fairly uniform around the world. This one is particularly rough around the edges, with more graininess and undefined light bitterness that does not seem like it's attributable to hop flavors. I had no problems finishing this can with lunch, but I would hope there is something better in Guatemala to turn to. Adequate, but unfinished. I'm glad I got this in a can; the reported skunkiness from the bottled version would have not helped this beer at all.

2.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Famosa (Gallo) from Cervecería Centro Americana, S.A.