Palm / Palm Speciale - Brouwerij Palm NV

Palm / Palm SpecialePalm / Palm Speciale

Brouwerij Palm NV visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

ABV 5.1 to 5.4%

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-04-2002)
3.09/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served at Bier Market in Toronto. Paired with chicken schnitzel and Belgian waffles. Very weak ale. Amber colored with a film of a head, just an average sweet malt taste. Would not recommend with a sweet food such as the honey drizzled waffles, however was a good match for the chicken schnitzel.

tomdavistoronto, Mar 24, 2013

Damian74Shensky, Mar 10, 2013

Duvel, Mar 08, 2013
1.54/5  rDev -53.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

At least it looks pretty in the glass. Had it in Holland at my hotel ( very limited selection).
The body and flavor are thin and lifeless. Head dissipates quickly , Arroma has a touch of biscuit but overall an insipid beer. Why would they do this to water?

brewcnc, Mar 06, 2013

hayesjw, Mar 05, 2013

dugly2ugly, Mar 03, 2013

HabiMendes, Mar 03, 2013

likesbeer, Mar 03, 2013
3.56/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap in a tulip glass. Poured to a nice biscuit head which dissipates shortly with little lacing. Appearance was a clear, amber to copper color. Aroma was light with hints of sweet malt. Taste was grainy and lightly hopped with hints of caramel. Mouthfeel was medium to light with a nice dry, bitter aftertaste.

Huffs, Mar 01, 2013

Beermaine, Feb 25, 2013

djrn2, Feb 24, 2013

Milkysunshine, Feb 23, 2013

bsopko, Feb 16, 2013
2.21/5  rDev -33.2%

I picked up a bottle of Palm's Palm Speciale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I've seen this beer around a lot, but I've always overlooked it for some reason, so i decided to finally give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Best by June 20th 2013. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks ok, it got a clean classic look to it, but it's not that eye catching. It poured a darker golden yellow color that took on an amber hue when held to the light with a finger and a half of slightly off white head that quickly died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing behind. This was an ok looking beer, nothing really stuck out as being well done, but it wasn't bad either.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a stale caramel malt aroma along with some grainy and bready aromas. Up next comes a metallic like aroma followed by a pretty noticeable skunky aroma. I also get some orange zest towards the end and a little bit of Belgian yeast. This beer had a pretty disappointing aroma, the malts smelled stale and the metallic and skunky aromas were unwanted.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts out with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart some stale malt flavors along with grainy and bready flavors. After that comes a pretty heavy metallic flavor followed by a medium skunky flavor that wasn't as bad as the aroma led me to believe. On the finish I get a slight bit of Belgian yeast followed by a light amount of bitterness with a grainy and metallic aftertaste that was slightly skunky. This beer didn't taste good, the Belgian Pale Ale flavors didn't show up as nicely as I would like and there were far too many off flavors.

M- Smooth, sharp, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied, with a higher amount of prickly carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it seemed to be fairly true to style.

Overall I thought this beer was pretty disappointing and I don't think it's a good example of the style, the Belgian Pale Ale aspects that I like about this style were on the light side and there were just too many off flavors for this to be a decent beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down smooth and the body was on the lighter side, but the flavor didn't hold my attention and I was over it after the first couple sips, if I had to I could drink a few of these, but there's nothing about this beer that makes me want to grab another, so one is more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was the only aspect of this beer that I thought was fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the flavor and aroma, they both weren't good with too many off flavors and aromas. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's pretty easy to find a much better Belgian Pale Ale, it was pretty inexpensive and now I know why, not recommended to anyone. All in all I was pretty let down with beer, it wasn't what I expected and the added metallic and skunky flavors and aromas really hurt this beer. This was my first experience with Palm and it made for a poor first impression, I'm still down to try more of their brews, but after this one I for sure won't be in a hurry to. So far this is my least favorite Belgian beer, it needs a lot of work.

StoutHunter, Feb 16, 2013

-ronin-, Feb 15, 2013
3.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Aroma: Malty and thin, but crisp. Low hop aroma, but definitely in the background. A bit of floral grass. Aroma was not strong.

Appearance: Copper color as per style. Very bright and clear, also as per style. Very little head that dissipated almost immediately. No lacing. Points off there.

Taste: Malty, some caramel, a bit of earthiness, moderately sweet with a hint of hop flavor. The taste was "thin," and did not linger. This is not the "big" flavor one normally associates with e Belgian Pale.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light-bodied, and easy to drink.

Overall: Well, I have something of a soft spot for this one. When I went to Belgium last year I checked into the flat we rented and walked straight out to find beer. This was the first one I came across. Yes, it's like the Budweiser of Belgium, but you never forget your first. I like it in part for the nostalgia.

Beerstorian, Feb 15, 2013