Palm / Palm Speciale - Brouwerij Palm NV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-04-2002

ABV 5.1 to 5.4%
Ratings: 968 | Reviews: 282
2.73/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours to a thin white head and copper color. Aroma is a pasteurized, played out mix of creamy malt and weak hops. Flavor is light and blah with balanced malt and hops. Mouthfeel is light and smooth due to muted carbonation. Doesn't feel like 5% abv. Overall, I am underwhelmed by the weak ass flavor. I've been spoiled by New Belgium. Pass!

3.78/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

on tap at sams in Durham. into a palm snifter.

dark copper color with no head. crisp, clean smell. malty. taste is the same. very typical for the style with a tad of lemon. its good and drinkable and excellent for a summer day. medium bodied with low carbonation.

overall this is a fine beer that won't blow anyone away, but that everyone should enjoy.

3.18/5  rDev -3.9%

On tap at The Abbey in Providence RI

Dark orange gourd color with a showy white cap. Looks nice in an appropriate Palm snifter.

Smells like fruit and mild toast. My wife once accidentally bought scented trash bags so now whenever I have a certain type of fruity beer I'm reminded to change the trash bag.

Tastewise this Palm is more fruit and less toast than I remember. Very mild leafy hop for some balance. Fruit = orange marmalade, golden pear and bruised McIntosh apple.

Tough beer to buy because I never know how long it's been sitting on the shelves. Which is why I'm pleased to find it on tap. Even so it's pretty mediocre at its best.

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 330mL bottle into my Troubadour tulip. Best by or brewed on date is not notched, but I think this is a fresh box.

ECE/SAE amber with amber highlights and a lasting half finger of beige up top - average retention and lacing.

Faintly grainy aroma with Pils malt and dead grass in the nose. No phenolics to speak of.

Unoffenstive palate entry, though if this is supposed to meld together an ale and a lager I think they went much too far in the direction of the latter - there is very little character to this beer. Crisp but somewhat bland finish, though I get just a touch of mild clean noble hop bitterness and maybe the faintest touch of melon in the aftertaste. The yeast seems to contribute nothing - perhaps excessive filtration/pasteurization steamrolled what little flavor there was to start with? "No off notes" is about the faintest praise I can have for a beer.

Bright, zippy, yet thin mouthfeel.

Much like Jupiler or Stella - to be avoided!

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: Amber; clear; effervescent; small head dissipates quickly

Aroma: Biscuity; peppery; orange

Taste: Juicy malt with citrus and hops on the start and mid; finishes slightly peppery and hoppy, and dry; pretty well balanced overall

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Clear orange glow with clingy and stingy bright white head. On the lighter side of medium bodied. Toasted hearty breads up front with an spicy and earthy hop finish. Hops cut up the malt bill a bit for a clean and pleasant lingering bitterness. A simple beer but with extremely clean and good flavors that I happen to enjoy.

3.61/5  rDev +9.1%

From a bottle at Walkers Pub in Athens. My nose is a little stuffy.
L: Pours a clear orange with a thin quickly vanishing head.
S: Not much (could be my nose a bit). Tangy malt, with very slight yeast.
T: Slightly tangy with a mild hoppy bitterness. Finishes with a malty butterscotch sweetness.
M: Very thin and crisp. Drinkable.
O: Good. Better than I had expected. Great for a warm summer day.

3.07/5  rDev -7.3%

Had on tap at McCoul's the other night.Poured an orange tinged lighter golden with a thinner white head atop.Aromas were really clean for a beer of this style,light yeast and lagar-like toasted grain with a hint of iron.Again clean on the palate with very mild yeasty spiced notes to mix with some grain and a little honey sweetness.You can tell this is a more mass produced beer, it lacks alot and is very average.

3.9/5  rDev +17.8%

I first enjoyed this beer in a restaurant on the island of Aruba and looked for it when I returned home to the US - I found it at my local supermarket Wegmans - great beer selection.
I thought this beer was better than many of the other post - not my favorite but definitely one that I will keep stocked in my fridge. It has very a very good amber color, and nice clean, mild hoppy smell, nice crisp smell and taste - different from most of the belgium beers I have had (though difficult to compare this to Orval, Duvel, Corsendonk, Maredsous, etc etc. - not in the same class) but I would have it a more everyday beer that I can drink numerous of - unlike ones like Maredsous with the big alcohol content.

I am watching DRINKING MADE EASY while enjoying this beer. GREAT show as is THREE SHEETS! If you have not seen these shows - look them up on youtube or do as I have and purchase the DVDs - they are awesome and HILARIOUS! All beer drinkers (or drinkers in general) should see them all!

2.58/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This pours a clear, amber color with minimal head. The aroma is a cross between a grassy adjunct lager and a pilsner. The taste is a god awful grainy, grass flavor that tastes very similar to Red Dog. Thin texture, very little flavor, and cheap taste does not make this beer very desirable. I tried it once but never again.

4.34/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a review of the unfiltered version served on draught in a restaurant in Gent. This ale has the appearance of many unfiltered wheat beers. Cloudy and dark straw colored with a weak white head. Aroma and taste is a very nice balance of wheat and barley malt. Very slight spicy hop character. Extremely high drinkability. Haven't tried the filtered bottle version but this baby was solid. Recommended.

3.54/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice amber color with tan foam cap.

S: Aroma is slightly hoppy and a well balanced malt backing.

T: Taste buds are very pleased with the awesome balance between hops and malt, just the right amount of sweetness of malts and bitterness of hops.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good carbonation.

O: Overall a great example of your typical Belgian Ale, nothing to extreme or awesome but good beer.

3.09/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served at Bier Market in Toronto. Paired with chicken schnitzel and Belgian waffles. Very weak ale. Amber colored with a film of a head, just an average sweet malt taste. Would not recommend with a sweet food such as the honey drizzled waffles, however was a good match for the chicken schnitzel.

1.58/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

At least it looks pretty in the glass. Had it in Holland at my hotel ( very limited selection).
The body and flavor are thin and lifeless. Head dissipates quickly , Arroma has a touch of biscuit but overall an insipid beer. Why would they do this to water?

3.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap in a tulip glass. Poured to a nice biscuit head which dissipates shortly with little lacing. Appearance was a clear, amber to copper color. Aroma was light with hints of sweet malt. Taste was grainy and lightly hopped with hints of caramel. Mouthfeel was medium to light with a nice dry, bitter aftertaste.

2.23/5  rDev -32.6%

I picked up a bottle of Palm's Palm Speciale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I've seen this beer around a lot, but I've always overlooked it for some reason, so i decided to finally give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Best by June 20th 2013. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks ok, it got a clean classic look to it, but it's not that eye catching. It poured a darker golden yellow color that took on an amber hue when held to the light with a finger and a half of slightly off white head that quickly died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy lacing behind. This was an ok looking beer, nothing really stuck out as being well done, but it wasn't bad either.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a stale caramel malt aroma along with some grainy and bready aromas. Up next comes a metallic like aroma followed by a pretty noticeable skunky aroma. I also get some orange zest towards the end and a little bit of Belgian yeast. This beer had a pretty disappointing aroma, the malts smelled stale and the metallic and skunky aromas were unwanted.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts out with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart some stale malt flavors along with grainy and bready flavors. After that comes a pretty heavy metallic flavor followed by a medium skunky flavor that wasn't as bad as the aroma led me to believe. On the finish I get a slight bit of Belgian yeast followed by a light amount of bitterness with a grainy and metallic aftertaste that was slightly skunky. This beer didn't taste good, the Belgian Pale Ale flavors didn't show up as nicely as I would like and there were far too many off flavors.

M- Smooth, sharp, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied, with a higher amount of prickly carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it seemed to be fairly true to style.

Overall I thought this beer was pretty disappointing and I don't think it's a good example of the style, the Belgian Pale Ale aspects that I like about this style were on the light side and there were just too many off flavors for this to be a decent beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down smooth and the body was on the lighter side, but the flavor didn't hold my attention and I was over it after the first couple sips, if I had to I could drink a few of these, but there's nothing about this beer that makes me want to grab another, so one is more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was the only aspect of this beer that I thought was fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the flavor and aroma, they both weren't good with too many off flavors and aromas. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's pretty easy to find a much better Belgian Pale Ale, it was pretty inexpensive and now I know why, not recommended to anyone. All in all I was pretty let down with beer, it wasn't what I expected and the added metallic and skunky flavors and aromas really hurt this beer. This was my first experience with Palm and it made for a poor first impression, I'm still down to try more of their brews, but after this one I for sure won't be in a hurry to. So far this is my least favorite Belgian beer, it needs a lot of work.

3.36/5  rDev +1.5%

Aroma: Malty and thin, but crisp. Low hop aroma, but definitely in the background. A bit of floral grass. Aroma was not strong.

Appearance: Copper color as per style. Very bright and clear, also as per style. Very little head that dissipated almost immediately. No lacing. Points off there.

Taste: Malty, some caramel, a bit of earthiness, moderately sweet with a hint of hop flavor. The taste was "thin," and did not linger. This is not the "big" flavor one normally associates with e Belgian Pale.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light-bodied, and easy to drink.

Overall: Well, I have something of a soft spot for this one. When I went to Belgium last year I checked into the flat we rented and walked straight out to find beer. This was the first one I came across. Yes, it's like the Budweiser of Belgium, but you never forget your first. I like it in part for the nostalgia.

1.43/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Another Inbev disaster. Had this on-tap at an American wood-fired pizza venue. Decent amber color, but ultra-thin tasting. Nothing Belgian about this. No odor or nose to speak of either. I kept wanting a hint of flavor- but practically no grain and no hopping evident. Watery mouthfeel too. As the menu had no prices for drinks, I had to ask the waitress what I was paying for this beer- hoping it wasn't a $6 pint- she assured me it was only $3. You get what you pay for and I won't make the mistake of ordering this again. As a fan of Belgian beers from Gulden Draak to Maredsou to Kwak, this beer delivered nothing of the character or malty goodness of those- a bit of research online shows this to be another Inbev disaster which means to find it on-tap at a mainstream bar means this is Budweiser product. This one is to be avoided.

2.88/5  rDev -13%

Copper penny, clear...1 inch white to off-white head that faded to a cap over a minute. Wispy lace.
Malty with a slight grassy hop background.
Very one dimensional - - not alot going on in the flavor...some malt and a little iron/metal type of twinge to it. Dissapears quickly but doesn't leave a cloying sweet after taste, that is a plus.
Somewhat thin mouthfeel - clean though.
Overall - not very impressive, I had never had it before today and I think I had higher expectations. Could be a pizza, burger beer - - something to not think too much about as it washes down the chow.

3.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle looks nice with the red, green and horse art. This beer is amber clear color, foamy head, hint of sweet honey, medium carbonation, bit dry aftertaste and slightly skunky. Notes of caramel, grain and light hops in taste, overall decent average beer.

2.16/5  rDev -34.7%

Part of a mixed 12 pack called "Belgium's finest" for $19.99 @ Bevco. 11.2oz bottle labelled "Speciale Belge Ale. ...the complexity of an ale, brewed to be refreshing like a pilsner or lager." BBF 9-10-2013. Pours out to a brilliantly clear, apparently filtered, very pale caramel, forming a modest white head with ok retention and some lacing. Carbonation is moderately brisk, ~3.0 carbs. The aroma doesn't have much to describe...a little malt, a little corn (adjuncts or DMS), a faint whiff of fruity esters, and no appreciable hop aroma. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean, lightly acidic, with a medium-light body. The taste recaps the aroma...not much of anything, but it has a "beer-like flavor" with a touch of caramel (crystal malt) and fruit esters. Mild bitterness. Tastes like a domestic malt liquor...it really does.

A beer that could only be dreamed up in a lab after copious tasting panels and adjustments to ensure that it appeals to the market...which is to say...a lame market. Not something that I would ever buy, but hey, this is "the finest of Belgium". Ummm, ok. Not much above a drain-pour unless it's ice-cold.

3.11/5  rDev -6%

On draft at Hurricane Wings, Hauppauge, NY.

Served in a Palm snifter. Poured a medium copper hue with a two finger frothy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light stale caramel.

The taste consisted of the same full caramel malt with a faint grassy hop and no esters to speak of.

The mouthfeel was toward the lighter side of the style.

Overall a basic pedestrian ale with not much to offer flavor wise. Uneventful.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

250ml bottle served in its own tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark orange to amber color. Clear. Forms a medium bubbled white head with medium to low retentions and some lacings formed and left

S: Sweet caramel and malts in upfront. Very grainy. Notes of corn. Followed by bready yeasts and flowery hops. Hops are a bit citrus reminding a British Bitter somehow. Very light notes of sourness in the end and a bit metallic too

T: Slightly sweet upfront. Again, very grainy in the mouth with a light sourness in the background. Interesting. Corn. Toffee. The hops are quite citrus giving it an air of a British Bitter. By the way, bitterness is quite light too. In overall, a quite balanced taste

M: Light to medium body. Slightly molasses. Medium carbonation and grainy/toffee aftertaste

O: Easy-drinking. Smooth and pleasant. Nothing special but, at the same time, an "above the average" Belgian session Ale. Recommended

2.77/5  rDev -16.3%

12oz Bottle from the Ottawa LCBO for 2$

Appearance - Clear gold colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for 5+ minutes.

Smell - Malts, skunk, breads/grains, metallic, corn

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts and corn mixed with some slightly harsh herbal/metallic notes. It ends with a grainy corn syrup type aftertaste.

Overall - It's been a while since I've opened a beer and smelled such a high amount of skunk. The scent seemed to die down and the beer got better as I progressed through my glass, but this is still nothing that warrants drinking again.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Enjoyed this on tap at Matchbox out of a Palm sifter glass.

A: Pours a clear copper hue with a thick 2-finger white head that slowly dissipates in to a wispy lace.

S: Slightly malty biscuit aroma with faints hop scents.

T: Good mix of malt and hop flavors. Good background tastes of grains, toasted honey, and, fruits.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Decent Belgian Pale ale. Not my favorite Belgian brew but worth the try.

Palm / Palm Speciale from Brouwerij Palm NV