Palm Export - Brouwerij Palm NV

Palm ExportPalm Export

Brouwerij Palm NV visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-24-2006)

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Had poured on-tap at the Pint House in Fullerton, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Half a finger white head. Low retention. Light brown clear color.

S- Darker malts and molasses. Nut smells. Strangely sugary smells.

T- Honey sweet. Very clean flavor. Nice.

M- Medium bodied. Spicy carbonation.

O- Ok beer. Nothing to write home about.

2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a clear straw gold with a half a finger off white head that faded quickly, moderate lacing.

Aroma of malt and light hops.

Taste of lemon, gassy, bready malt and a very slight hint of hop bitterness.

Mouth Feel was light body, thin, medium carbonation, very crisp.

Overall a refreshing light beer, not much else.

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

11.2 ounce bottle purchased at 29 package store in Lilburn for $8.99 six pack.
Pours a crystal clear light amber with a slightly off white head with some excellent side glass lacing. Head itself shrinks quickly.
Aroma: get mostly grains with just a bit of lemon and lightly spiced hops. Not getting the bready biscuity aroma others indicate.
Taste: Thin, simple no complexity that you might expect at this price point.
Just enough to make it better than most economy macro brews but not any better than the say a Fosters Premium Ale yet significantly higher priced.

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours an amber color thats mosly clear. I didn't get much foamy head during the pour and didn't have on through the session. Lightly carbonated.

Aroma was light and malty.

Taste is pretty similar to aroma: light and malty.
There was a sutle hint of biscuits, and hops were light, This is a BPA.

Mouthfeel is light and a bit watery. Goes down clean.

This is an ok beer if I was at a party and I had to chose between beers, Iwould go with this one.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

It's a really nice pale ale, very clean and tasty. Yellowish copper in color, it is not overly hoppy. Very sessionable.

So, my department at work has a Roast every year (the thing where people get up and say really mean but hopefully funny things about one another), and this year I got invited to speak. I hadn't attended in years past because I heard that the roasters were really offensive and mean, and I didn't want to participate in that. But since I was part of it this year, I got to hear about half of it before hand and it wasn't so bad (and it was hilarious). Well, the half that I didn't hear beforehand turned out to be pretty vulgar, crude and mean spirited, but that's beside the point.
The point IS that I met a guy named Dave Cave (husband to one of my bosses), who's a promoter and distributor of craft beers in the Charleston area. He didn't as much as say so, but it sounds like he's responsible for many of the amazing beers we enjoy in Charleston being available there. Example, he was telling me about when New Belgium was wanting to break into the Charleston market and he convinced several pubs and restaurants to start carrying it. Now you can get a Fat Tire just about anywhere.
Needless to say, after 2 hours of going back and forth between laughing and cringing during the roast, it was refreshing to talk beer with a guy who really understands and enjoys it. He had a cooler with him and introduced me to 2 brews I'd not had before.
The second was Palm Export from Brouwerij Palm NV. That's a brewery in Belgium, which I think is why it's called Palm Export. Anywho, it's a really nice pale ale, very clean and tasty. Yellowish copper in color (or colour if we're being European), it is not overly hoppy. Dave Cave described it as "sessionable" and I can see what he means; I could definitely drink a couple-three of these.

2.73/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance - Poured copper with an off-white, finger width head. I dissipated pretty quickly which left a small layer on top and the lacing was pretty loose. Carbonation looks pretty bubbly.

Smell - There are some earthy tones on the tip which are accompanied by some toasted malts and a little sweetness. Hops smell a bit dry and a tad spicy.

Taste - The sweetness hits the palate off the bat and what follows can only be described as insignificantly hoppy and kind of bland. The sweetness lingers for a bit and then a bitter/funk flavor holds on the rest of the way.

Mouthfeel - It's density is okay, with it's body being of the medium type. Carbonation isn't as strong as it looked.

Overall - This beer doesn't wow me. It IS pretty easy to drink, but it's a little bland and just doesn't leave a good flavor in my mouth. Lucky for me, my wife loves them. She can have the rest....

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours out a deep copper/amber color with a wispy white head that laces a little bit and carbonation is limited which is appropriate to style. So far it looks good. Smells grainy and spicy. Taste is very grainy and has some Munich malt sweetness backed with a slightly citrusy grassy hop and some metallic taste. Overall grassy and grainy some notes of lemon peels, not bad at all. Metallic taste takes it from good to above average. Mouthfeel is thin and drying like tannin from a champagne. Overall this is a solid beer with some complexity to be offered in a small light package.

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

This beer is tasty but does not have the characteristic Belgian taste you would expect from a Belgian beer. The smell reminds me of Heineken but it's got a bit more mellow a flavor than that other green-labeled beer.

As a fan of Belgian beer this is not the Belgian beer I would rush to if I had the choice.

1.9/5  rDev -41.7%

awful, awful, awful. Who ever says this is a good beer is full of it! It's heavy, tastes like metal and was very pooy mashed. Overpowering sense of dough! A very under attenuated beer. Don't waste your time buying this beer. Wow. Cloyingly sweet. Drink two of these and you'l have diabetes. For real! No, seriously...you will

4.18/5  rDev +28.2%

I found this single 330ml brown bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL. Clearly marked best before date on the back label. This one says 9-14-2011 so it's plenty fresh.

The beer poured a clear, dark amber color that produced a 1-finger white head that lasted a minute or so and left some decent lacing.

The beer has a bit of skunkiness to it, but not as bad as a Heineken. Other than that, the beer has a mild biscuity malt smell along with a whiff of mixed fruit, and even milder herbs and spices.

Really nice flavor. Honey kissed biscuity malt is the predominant flavor but the sweetness is kept in check with a small dose of peppery spice. Not much hop presence until the finish when a bit of mild bitterness comes through. I'm not usually a fan of pale ales, but this one is good.

Light, crisp, and refreshing mouthfeel with lively carbonation.

Easy to drink and enjoyable to drink.

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Put aside all the first timer hype of the belgian beers over the last 10 years, and the "oh i love Chimay' crowd, this is a beer that stands on it's own. This is not a typical belgian beer, and it should get some props for being just that, a simple yet solid pale ale. it pours a deep dark amber, it has a nice light malty balance, and it taste great. I would drink this any day over the other mass produced over hyped belgian lagers that have convinced soccer moms that stella is a pretty name and a good beer.

4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It kind of looked like a beer that would lack taste or would come off too wheaty (which I like, but wasn't expecting).

But there was a nice balanced hoppiness to it. Tried as part of a beer tasting and this beer went over quite well with most of the beer drinkers involved. Good creamy malt beer.

3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

a. Appears like a light beer. Nice head retention and straw like in color.

s. Smells of clean alcohal and malts. Just a bit hoppy.

t. Tastes of belgian style hop and malts. A bit of adjunct in there as well.

m. Mouthfeel is crisp and warming.

d. Drinkability is pretty solid. A brew to accompany a good meal. The review is a bit skewed since a good friend brought this back for me from his trip to belgium. There are better belgian brews out there.

3.63/5  rDev +11.3%

I bought a 6 pack of these, and proceeded to chill and try them; I realized it wasn't as heavy as a typical pale belgian strong so I i figured I could drink it in a more upright glass- so I poured it into a samuel smiths pint glass; orangey tan; nice body for the lightness of the abv; a nice solid head structure.

The smell was suspiciously bready and smelled of none less than- oof American macro lager? off again; The mouthfeel was nice, but there never was a wonderful complexity that I was led to believe existed. And I wanted to love this one, but unlike my most favorite Belgian's, I was disappointed flavor wise-as the beer heated up in my hands. All together, there was enough flavor of malt and some bitterness to make it palatable for having a few in rapid succession.

4.15/5  rDev +27.3%

My buddy swooped up one of these for me to try during a recent trip to the Netherlands. Ahh, the motherland. What a glorious place.

Pours a nice sunset orange. Mix in some amber and thats the color. Ok head, and nice lacing.

Smells floral, hoppy, a little bit of skunk (almost like a heineken) but not a bad skunk. Malts on the second sniff and just a touch of pine on the third.

This is almost like I would want Heineken to taste like...if that makes any sense. Nice bold crisp flavor, touch of pine but overall fairly light and sweet.

Crisp and refreshing. This beer is a winner.

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 330 ML bottle into a tulip glass; "best by date" marked 9-16-09

P: Light-gold colored liquid out of the bottle, and sits a slightly reddish amber in the glass. Head is white and kind of fizzy almost like Sprite foam, and faded rather quickly as expected. It did leave some decent lacing behind.

A: Toasty biscuity malts, a smidgeon of floral hops, a few blades of grass, some honey, and yeast.

T: Biscuity malts take control from the start, and feels unbalanced due to the almost non-existent hop flavor. Honey, pepper, and some spice come forth shortly thereafter, keeping it somewhat interesting. But, the flavors never really meld together to create a "full" taste to me. Finish is dry, with some spicy pepper and yeast to round it out.

M: Light-bodied, airy, crisp, and pretty smooth with a moderate amount of carbonation that leaves a sharp bite on the tongue.

D: While this one does drink easy, because it's so light and airy, I couldn't drink more than two due to the slightly boring and uneventful malt-heavy flavors.

Notes: While pale ales aren't particularly my favorite style, this one is decent. I do wish the aroma and taste were a little more robust and complex, but it's not bad. I'm just glad I got a 6'er of this as a Christmas present from the friendly neighborhood liquor store owner. Now, I can take the other 4 and re-gift them!

Palm Export from Brouwerij Palm NV