Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Allgäuer Cambonator Doppelbock - Allgäuer Brauhaus AG

Allgäuer Cambonator DoppelbockAllgäuer Cambonator Doppelbock

Allgäuer Brauhaus AG visit their website

Doppelbock |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 02-25-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

Its clear, very dark mahogany body reveals hundreds of tiny, steadily rising bubbles if you look closely enough; and its frothy tan head drops shortly to a wide, creamy collar and whispy surface covering yet continues to leave splashes of lace throughout the entire glass. The nose displays a dark, caramelized malt that expresses slightly fruity toffee, cocoa, and a bit of light molasses. It's body is firm and its carbonation is very fine and moderate, leaving it creamy in the mouth. The flavor is much as the nose suggests, although a healthy dose of alcohol and some solid bitterness help to thin it a bit and keep it from becoming sweet. It's clearly grainy beneath its caramelized layers; and it displays some floral and spicy hop character as well. It finishes dry with a lingering note of bitterness, some subtle residual maltiness, and a wash of alcohol that gives it a nutty (walnuts, peanut skins) and woody character that leaves the palate wanting more. It's quite enjoyable with perhaps a greater drinkability than some of the sweeter versions.

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

1 Pint .9 Fl. Oz.

I am so happy I opened this doppelbock tonight. I have said it before. I love trying a new beer and being happily surprised.

It pours a deep mahogany brown. Light penetrates the sides of the glass but not the middle. A big off white head starts us off. It dissipates slowly but leaves a trail of lacing like a labyrinth. Beautiful. The scents are sweet toffee with some dry wood. A bit of malty sweetness, grain and an alcohol bite. Some light cream and then a tinge of sourness to finish the olfactory parade.

Splendid. Almost too many flavors to write about. Many malt flavors dominate this doppelbock. Sweet toffee and molasass. There is a nice alcohol flavor to give is some balance. Sweet fruits like dates dipped in syrup and a seared burnt nut flavor. A caramel finish and an after taste that is pleasant and does not linger.

The mouthfeel is very good. Silky smooth. An in between medium and heavy bodied doppelbock, this one drinks easy. A bit of an alcohol burn but nothing that will take away from the enjoyment I had sampling this beer.

3.27/5  rDev -14.4%

Presentation: 17oz. brown bottle; no "bottled on" or "best before" dating; purchased for $2.29 from the Wine House in West LA; scenic portrait of a snow-dappled Auschwitz on the label; ok, sorry, a little Jewish hostility escaping there.

Appearance: Pours a clear, ruddy brown; fine, two-fingered, mocha-tinged head; adequate retention; moderate, web style lacing.

Aroma: Largely of toffee and caramel.

Taste: Like all doppelbocks, somewhat sweet; primary flavor characteristics are of molasses, dark bread and toffee; mild hop bitterness; buttery; nutty; somewhat spicy and floral. Medium bodied; poorly carbonated.

Notes: I must say I found the flavor profile more than a tad weak vis-à-vis the likes of Ayinger's Celebrator, Paulaner's Salvator, KW's Asam-Bock and Pizza Port's (Carlsbad) C-U-lator; nothing bad here, though, to be sure; definitely worth a try.

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%

Dayton, OH AleFest:I really enjoy drinking and rating Dopplebocks and even though this is not the best Dopplebock that I've had to date, it was not too bad.The appearance was a small sized tan head with fine sized bubbles that quickly diminished.The body was clear, uncarbonated and the hue was reddish-brown.The nose of this Dopplebock was malty along with some caramel.The flavor was sweet tasting and malty.It has a very smooth mouthfeel and is light-medium bodied.There was a fair amount of lacing on the sides of my glass.

Originally sampled on 26 April 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. This beer is clear brown. It has a malty, caramely flavor. It's a decent doppelbock, but nothing to write home about. There are lots of other doppelbocks out there which are better

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Dark brown color. Large head. Aroma is malts and dark fruits. A medium bodied dopple bock. Malts are roasted, slightly sweet and fruity. Touches of cherries and plums, Hops are spicy with a touch of grapefruit. Very smooth taste. Well balanced. I like the off dry finish and the full round mouthfeel. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is rather dry. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear and rather dark brown is the appearance, the head large at first and then reduces for a nice lacing effect. Malty aroma, pleasant if a bit subdued. Tastes like sweet molasses, a little toasty as well. It's very pleasant in that nothing is overdone. I find it more drinkable than other doppelbocks I have tried. Those others weren't bad by any means. This one is just a little less "in your face" with the sweet maltiness and thickness. A few of these could sit in my stomach and I would be fine. The high ABV shows in the finish but not in a bad way. A very drinkable doppelbock.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

Decided to depart from my "east coast of the United States" mindset, and pulled this beer out of the specialty cooler at my favorite beer store. Started out the afternoon -- a nasty mix of sleet and snow is pelting the windows, so a beer tasting session seemed like a good idea -- with a 2002 SN Celebration Ale (not too many left in Feb of '03), and then moved on to this Cambonator. As far as the appearance of the label is concerned, I cannot improve upon the only other review of this beer that mentioned the label, save to say that it depicts the sort of scene that would make one want to have a dopplebock, which would seem to be the point.

Sweet malt smell very evident after opening. Short, dense, off-white head that settled down to a thin rim of white in a few minutes. Very small pearly bubbles in the head. Color is quite dark, hardly translucent; putting a bright light behind my glass shows a beatiful deep cherry color.

Round and sweet taste improves with slight warming. Slight bitterness at the tip of the tongue. Toasty, and again, very sweet! Mouthfeel is slick, leaves a slight, pleasant aftertaste at mid-tongue, almost fruity. Not as brutish as an Optimator; more subtle and thin (with no offense intended).

4.05/5  rDev +6%

The 3rd and final of the Allgäuer beers tonight, Cambonator - Dunkler Doppelbock.

Comes in a 500ml brown bottle with a gold foil edged label. It has a picture of a snow covered town, or village, in Germany. Very festive.

Now this beer pours a very dark brown color. Held to the light, not much gets through, but the rays that do are refracted to give a deep red, ruby-mahogany hue to this beer. The head is a shade of tan-brown that looks like that found atop a Guinness, a tight compact 1” deep head that looks perfect. Settles to about 1/8” though later.

Aromas: Wow, again so pungent that it permeates the air as I poured the beer and immediately makes me go, Aarghh…. A closer controlled inhalation reveals a plethora of sweet malt molassic aromas that expand the initial malty nose that is now so prevalant in my Apartment. This beer has more nose than Concorde.

This beer sets itself up well, before I have even tasted it. Fuck, what a Taste!! Pardon my French (German?) but this beer has plenty to say. This beer rocks - big style. I am in love.
This is my first real Doppel-Bock Tasting, and boy am I enjoying it. Initial tastes are of roasted malt, Walnuts, molasses, very rich Dates followed by an alcoholic warmth that makes way for a malt sweetness that just makes you want to run into the street naked and profess your love for this beer. Monster. I am very impressed by the beer, by this style perhaps. It just reminds me so much of Callard & Bowser Licquorice Toffee from England that I am homesick for the first time in 15 months. This beer is simply Gorgeous. So highly drinkable for a dark 7.2% ABV beer, that the people that made it should be arrested.

This bottle cost only $2.39, midway between the St. Magnus ($2.20) and the Winterfestival ($2.50), and it was the last to be tried, it’s a good job, because I am stocking up on this beer – f**k the others.

I am enjoying my road trip into the Wonderful World of German Beers.

Ich liebe Allgäuer Cambonator Bier und, der es jetzt stocked in meinem kuhlschrank permanent ist.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

It's brown with a trace of red. The head is tan and fairly thick and fizzy immediately after the pour but fades fast. It has a candy-like sweetness in the smell and taste. I must be falling in love with dopplebocks because I like this one a lot less than others, but I'm still scoring it up there.

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Ooooh baby, what a lovely color! Lovely deep amber hue, with lots of ruby/garnet highlights! A thin, fine head sat on top, and left real nice lacing. Has a big, sweet malty nose - now that's a D-Bock aroma! Body was pretty good, and fairly smooth going down. Flavors were of sweet malt, a bit of toffee, and even a hint of roastiness.There was a slightly bitter end to it, reminding me a tad of Celebrator. Real nice flavor-combo, though not in the range of Salvator/Andechs/or Sammy, IMHO. Still, it's a bier I could sit down and enjoy often! Thanks to Murph for the sample!

overall: 4.15
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

They say hindsight is 20/20, and, sure enough, my first hyperbolic rant-and-rave does not exactly match my second quaff of this "hard-as-H**L-to-get" brew. I'm dialing back 4 out of 5 of my digits to match the latest sips.

Stay tuned, however. I bought 13 of these babies!

There are beers, and there are experiences.

To quote my freind after I lent him a sip:

Bar none, this "experience" sits at the top of my all-time favorites. Of course, as luck would have it, I experienced it hundereds of miles away from home, and have not found it since.

"Complex" does not even begin to describe what an experience like this is about.

The best I could do, really, is just point in the right direction and hope you get the chance to experience it for yourself.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

Handsome brown with nice gentle head. Is quite good at a cooler temperature as well as gaining complexity when it warms. This is a roasty doppelbock, a bit closer to some porters than other doppels I have tried. Not as sweet and toffeeish as other doppels. This is more austere and woody, a little reminiscent of varnish. I think this would serve more as a restorative on a crisp dry winter day rather than a warmer for a damp spring evening - as I have used in this case. The finish is pretty dry and does not cry out for more. I had an insanely pleasurable experience at Zum Schneider in NYC with a basic helles lager of Allgauer's... I wish I could find more products of theirs to bring home, this doppel is the only bottled brew I've found.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last