Allgäuer Cambonator Doppelbock - Allgäuer Brauhaus AG

Doppelbock |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: xlperro on 02-25-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

Deep dark brown bordering on black. dark head, spider web lacing, alcohol cuts down on the head retention as it warms.

Chocolate chip cookies, toasted qualities, and dark fruits make up the jist of the smell.

Plums are the centerpiece as it warms along with the background bakers chocolate and some toasted wheat bread. Not much from the other side of the spectrum although a touch of citrus towards the finish is a nice addition. Dopplebocks are an incredible style and this serves it well.

chewy mouthfeel, carbonation is very laid back in the midst of such a thick brew. Alcohol is hardly evident until late into the aftertaste. (641 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12%

Pours a cloudy dark brown with a 1 finger off-white head that leaves a touch of lacing.

Smells of dark fruits and dark candy. Nice.

Taste is very good. Dark fruits and toffee are the most prominent flavors. Dates and molasses are also present. Love the fruit in here. Seems to have a touch of hops to balance out the sweetness. Relatively complex flavors for a doppelbock. I like it.

Mouthfeel is just right - somewhat creamy with a nice level of carbonation and a slightly sharp finish.

Drinkability is very good on this. (534 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12%

The beer after its escape from the 500ml brown bottle in to my Leute Bock beer glass sets a deep brown with ruby high lights; the head is smallish and bubbly in texture, the color a nice tan, the resultant lace a thin curtain to drape the glass. Nose is malt sweet, caramel, hints of yeast, a bit musty I must say, start is sweet, thick malt presence, top is middling to almost full in its affect on the taste buds. Finish is has an imperious acidity, the hops noticeable but pleasant, aftertaste droughty and lingering upon the palate, a very nice doppel bock, a style I wish there was a bazillion of. (602 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12%

Dopplebocks are some of my favorite beers... I don't know if that makes me more or less critical of any particular example. Regardless, I found Allgäuer Cambonator to be a great representative of the style. Poures a malty, syrupy brown. Left a slight, chocolate brown head, and it left lacing down the sides of the drinking glass as I finished it. Has the traditional doppelbock flavor, but the taste of alcohol is very muted. The result is all the flavor of doppelbocks without the alcoholic aftertaste that accompanies many other doppelbocks... quite an accomplishment for a beer with over 7% alcohol. I highly recommend this beer. (634 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Roasted hazelnut suffused with reddish bronze. The toasted tan head is on the small side, but is firm enough to last for a while. Microbubbles on the upper surface leave micropits when they pop, but there isn't a hint of sticky rockiness. Obviously then... no lace.

All in all, this a good doppelbock nose. I can appreciate cocoa, a figgy fruitiness, a drop or two of molasses and a pleasant German hoppiness. The first few sniffs weren't overly impressive, but with time and warming things have opened up quite a bit.

Cambonator is an excellent version of the style. The interplay between dark malt, fruit and hops is seamless. Increasing or decreasing the contribution from any of the three would make for a lesser beer. Malt, of course, is the focal point. A mild smokiness is great in combination with the earthiness of the roasted barley. Fig paste and molasses are still apparent, even more than in the nose, and anise makes a delightful cameo.

Hops play second fiddle and remain in tune throughout. There's just enough stealth bitterness to keep the malt sugars in check and to further expand the range of flavors available on the palate. The finish is shorter than I would like (but not short), thanks to a mouthfeel that is lighter than I would like (but not light). I spoke too soon. With each degree of warming, the mouthfeel increases in creamy smoothness and develops a wonderfully supple chewiness.

Cambonator Doppelbock is a more than pleasant surprise. I didn't see its deliciousness coming, but from the first sip I knew this was a wonderfully complex beer. The 7.2% ABV, which is barely evident on the palate, ensures that a second bottle can be enjoyed with ease. A fine effort. (1,711 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

First of all, what's up with the name? (In an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice) "I'm duh cambonator ....I'm he-ah to save John Conn-ah ...I'll be bock!" Get it....BOCK. Ok. I apologize for my crappy sense of humor. Anyhow...

This one pours dark and flat black with a deep purple tint when held up to the light, and the lable shows a quant German village buried in snow.

A half-finger tan head only stuck around for a minute before dissapearing almost entirely, but some suds re-appear when aggitated. This brew looks flat and boring in the glass, but the bottle is very, very cool.

The scent is caramely, malty, milky, and sweet. Hints of milk chocolcate and vanilla flavored coffee creamer also.

Damn! This is one sweet beer! Sugary and malty, this one feels very full and smooth in the mouth. My first impression is of chewy caramel candy... the kind that yanks out your fillings and sticks around in the cracks in between your teeth for days. This is follwed by big bitter chocolate (that really develops as the beer warms) and a nice alcohol kick in the back of the throat. I'm also picking up some very slight dark fruit flavors too ...like a super-ripe plum.

This one is heavy and sweet like that bitter dark chocolate that my mom used to cook with (she told me not to eat it plain...but I did anyway and sort of liked it). I enjoyed the full, sweet, thickness that is presented here, but the overly bitter dark chocolate character eventually becomes a little too much. I feel that one is definitley enough for now, but I will most likely come BOCK to this one some other time...maybe in the winter (like on the neat bottle)! (1,643 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance – Dark brown in color with good carbonation and a decent head that didn’t last very long but left some cool lacing.

Smell – Beautiful, rich aroma of yeast, toasted malts, and butter. This one smells very creamy and rich yet has the classic burnt nose.

Taste – This one is a mouthfeel. The super-rich toasted malt and yeast flavors are out in force here. This is exactly as it should taste – just like a bock only bigger. There’s just enough alcohol to be noticed, and the caramel-infused creaminess is out of this world.

Mouthfeel – One of the smoothest, creamiest dopplebocks that I have rated thus far. This one had an exceptional mouthfeel. It is full-bodied with very light carbonation and, did I say, very smooth and creamy.

Drinkability – This one had me talking German. I’ve had some disappointing offerings from this brewery, but this example was excellent. (897 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

The rim of this bottle had malt markings around the rim and on the cap which made me worried that maybe the seal had been broken. Maybe it had, and maybe the thick, sweet malt then sealed the bottle back up....

Regardless, it poured a rich, nearly opaque brown, just a tad deeper than cola, and a slight rim of brown with a floating smattering of bubbles around the top.

It takes some effort to pull an aroma off the beer until it fully warms, but the aroma is nice and sweet, almost woody, and slightly smokey.

The taste is fantastic. Its rich, brown and combines a substantial sweet-malt body with a bit of tartness you'd expect from a strong malt beer. The mouth is left with a surrounding flavor that's both sugary and nutty.

It drinks quite well, though its also a clear, cold night, so its rather appropriate to be drinking it. (846 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +13.8%

very dark purplish brown. This the dopplebock for the light drinker. Very smooth yet full taste, but immensely drinkable. color id dark & foamy, with an aroma that is very vinious. Grapes andraisins reign supreme. Are we sure this is not a wheat beer? Very smooth malty/graint taste, with some fruity esters. Slick smooth mouthfeel and as I said earlier drinkability is ridiculous.

Very good (394 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a .5L bottle to a tall .5L glass. Try as I might I can't get this beer to produce a head during the pour. As the bottle empties about a 1 finger head rises slowly from an intense dark liquid. The head fades just as slow leaving almost no lace.

The smell is of Malt deep dark roasted malt with a very lively selection of dark fruit. Lost of dates, plumbs and figs. I anticipate something like a Weihenstephan Kobinian.

The taste very fruity indeed, Chocolate and some coffee notes also enter the mix. The malt is very very intense and the extensive complexities are intriguing. This lager also hints of licorice in the finish that all but totally covers the alcohol. This offering is also very sweat in its tastes, drying with some bitterness only in the finish. Each slurp leaves you quite unsatisfied. I started with a few slow sips but this really grows on you fast, and I find my self filling my mouth with large gulps trying to engage all of my taste bubs.

The mounthfeel is great. The feel is thick and coating, a very full body drenches the mouth full of flavor. The carbonation awakes within the mouth adding to the taste sensation. The finish is superb just a slight alcohol taste. Very nice, what I look for not the staleness I get from so many cheaper dark ales.

The drinkability is very high, This DB goes down very easy with no objections. Prost und Zum Wohl! MK (1,399 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Had this first at a Bon Vivant tasting and brought home a 0.5L bottle: It pours a nice roasty reddish brown with a big head of small bubbles. The aroma is sweet, almost raisiny or grapey, counterintuitive to the appearance. The flavor is similarly sweet and fruity, but there’s a big caramel-sugar anchor beneath it that makes this a wonderfully scrumptious winter beer. Prost! (#2752, 3/15/2007) (397 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

They say hindsight is 20/20, and, sure enough, my first hyperbolic rant-and-rave does not exactly match my second quaff of this "hard-as-H**L-to-get" brew. I'm dialing back 4 out of 5 of my digits to match the latest sips.

Stay tuned, however. I bought 13 of these babies!

------------------------------------------------------------
There are beers, and there are experiences.

To quote my freind after I lent him a sip:

"Now THAT, is an EXPERIENCE!"

Bar none, this "experience" sits at the top of my all-time favorites. Of course, as luck would have it, I experienced it hundereds of miles away from home, and have not found it since.

"Complex" does not even begin to describe what an experience like this is about.

The best I could do, really, is just point in the right direction and hope you get the chance to experience it for yourself. (868 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.9%

To be fair, I am on a kick right now where this beer fits perfectly. You know how it goes: you get into a certain beer-drinking groove and you find something that really just fits within that particular arena.

This beer is doing that for me. Despite its dark ruby color, the majority of the taste of this beer comes from nice, light, sweet pils malt. A nice distinctive, sweet blast mingled with that pronounced sulfur bite. Like a very good pils, but supersized to the extreme.

But that is just the start of this party. Well, not the "start" really, the pils malt is the host. It is there most noticeably at the beginning and ending, but the whole experience is undeniably affected by it. Now, if I know pils malt, it was hoping for a low-key party, you know, a couple of pils buddies sitting around listening to indy rock, maybe smoking a bowl, and then everybody goes home.

Unfortunately for pils, one of his buddies called Munich malt and told him about the party. Munich I called munich II, and the whole deal went cat-in-the-hattish quite quickly. Nice juicy summer fruits play a huge role in this beer, mmm, more plum than anything.

So, after Munich I and Munich II crashed the place, some crystal malts show up. Really just a nice layer of ineffably sweet complexity added on top of everything. If it wasn't already crazy enough, this guy really wrecks the party and makes it totally insane.

But then that damned fish starts nagging everybody. That's right, the alcohol makes its presence known in the end and cleans everything off. The sweetness fades, everybody is gone . . .

And you are again left with the pils malt, now alone and sad. He starts to wave goodbye, but he is really awkward about it and really clings onto that farewell. So, you feel sorry for the guy and have another sip . . . and the whole mess starts over again! (1,850 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last