Stite Golden Pilsner - Cold Spring Brewing Co.

Stite Golden PilsnerStite Golden Pilsner

awful

Cold Spring Brewing Co. visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-05-2002)
Reviews by pmcadamis:
pmcadamis

1.4/5  rDev -10.3%

A - This one came in a little aluminum bottle, like those Bud Lite can-bottle abominations. There is absolutely no head or lace at all, and this looks like a slightly darker macro. This looks a lot like a first morning piss.

S - This is very mineral-laden on the nose, and I hate that in a beer. There is a nasty malt liquor sweetness to this nose, along with a repulsive "round" husky corn-y ness.

T - This is fairly assertive for the style. The problem is with what it's asserting...corny mashed corn with sugar on top.

M - Light bodied and sour on my tongue. Blech.

D - No thank you. This is pretty damn nasty.

07-10-2008 17:59:02 | More by pmcadamis
ADR

1.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Listed by the company as a Pilsner (so that's how I listed it) but also as a new category that has a production patent (since 1942). Very, very low hop flavor, fizzy, with pale color. No distinct malty flavors other than a vague but heavy sweetness and a rather metallic tang in the throat. Its been years since I had a Malt Liquor but thats what this seems to taste most like. A bad beer in a stable of pretty bad beers...

03-05-2002 12:20:22 | More by ADR
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

1.4/5  rDev -10.3%

The shady characters at Gluek think they have found a perfect dumping ground for their latest abomination. They think the rubes in Oklahoma are dumb enough to buy their bogus claims about this beverage. The can is a 8.4 oz can decked in green, red and gold. The pull tab is dyed red (how friggin cute!) It label claims "A fine German Style Pils...Since 1942". "A unique patened process--Rich Full Bodied Flavor" I have never seen a beer that does not live up to it label hype quite like it--except Bud. But at least AB does not claim their beer is a German anything. The only thing remotely German or Pils about it is the appearance. Pours to a pale golden color and very Pils-like white head with fine bubbles that lasts to the finish. After that it is utter crap. Aroma is somewhere between Canada-brewed Foster's and cheap malt liquor--corny, veggie and sickly sweet. Flavor is absolutely lacking any noble beer character that you'd expect from an all-malt beer, much less a real German Pils. The flavor is of fermented corn syrup and carbonated water...the notorious Gluek "hole-in-the-flavor" trick. Mouthfeel is flat and watery. Finishes dry and leaves one a little parched, like Sapporo does. This stuff, if marketed as a malt liquor would not bother me...but German Pils? Damn them!

12-07-2003 18:52:45 | More by EagleTalon
Padron4KM

Arizona

1.1/5  rDev -29.5%

12 oz green and yellow aluminum bottle. A fine German Pils brewed in Minnesota? hmmmm.
Pours out golden yellow, with a creamy marshmallow white head.
Aroma is .. well ... what is it with the color green around beer? Skunky, cereal grain, corn, lots of corn. sweet canned corn.
Flavor is swet corn, metalic, with a little bit of sugar added. not so good.

08-19-2005 06:38:38 | More by Padron4KM
Gusler

Arizona

1.1/5  rDev -29.5%

The pour the quintessential lager/pils limpid golden yellow with the archetypal bright white and modest sized head that is frothy in texture with the lace almost adequate to cover the glass. Prototypical lager/pils nose, which is sweet malt, crisp, clean and fresh to the senses, start is the standard somewhat sweet malt with the top classical in its light to moderate feel. Paradigmatic acidic finish with the representative mild hop spiciness and the unexceptional dry lingering aftertaste. The beer is to thin, to sweet, not enough malt or hops, so down goes the rating, just not my Pilsner Glass of beer, but what the hell, I continue my search for a lager/pils I can truly say I like.

12-28-2003 18:59:26 | More by Gusler
Zorro

2.03/5  rDev +30.1%

Poured from a 12 Oz Aluminum bottle this is a clear yellow to gold colored beer with a momentary good white head that falls quickly.

The smell is sweet and faintly cidery. Fairly strong creamed corn aroma and a definite vegetable odor.

The taste begins sweet and corny with a clinging sweetness in the mouth a clear alcohol flavor makes me think malt liquor and not Pilsner. The taste is malty and boozy tasting but it really tastes like a semi-successful home brew from a kit.

The mouthfeel is not anything much.

If I really wanted a beer and this and Budweiser were the choices, bud would win. Pretty much cheap beer in a fancy bottle.

08-12-2007 02:01:44 | More by Zorro
TastyTaste

The name of the brewery should have been the first clue to the quality of this stuff. I like that this substance never claims to be a beer on it's label. Pours a clear yellow color, and smells moldy and sweet. Tastes awful, we all agreed that it had a pond water-metallic taste. Just not good.

Update: I have had another bottle of this, and I took away the one 1.5 score I originally gave it. It is a travesty of taste that this stuff even exists.

12-01-2003 22:10:29 | More by TastyTaste
climax

Missouri

1.48/5  rDev -5.1%

Hmmmm, the metal bottle intrigued me, so I bought one.... It poured a murky gold with unsettling floaties. Head was fizzy and quick to dissipate.

Nose was buttery, mealy apple, vinegar and alcohol.

I dunno, something tells me this one is tainted, but I wouldn't know why. Sour apple, butter, and Italian dressing.

Maybe this was a beer gone bad instead of a bad beer... at least I hope so. Maybe next time I won't be lured in like a child to a metal bottle.

01-14-2010 03:20:26 | More by climax
DogFood11

Aluminum packaging in a bottle shape. Bottle graphics modest but sharp. Poured into a pils glass ultra aggressive it barely forms a skim on top. Golden body with some copper towards the core. Carbonation is visible but no head or retention of any kind.

Doughy, sweet malts are the theme here although one could argue that there really is no theme as its a jumbled mess of epic proportions. Slightly candied as it warmed a bit. The malts lay on the palate for some time and slowly roll down and away from the palate. Ughhhh. This thing is all over the map and nothing worked well together. It tries out a little spicing towards the finish only to be swept away by an astringent although tiny hop appearance.

Notes: Not for me and I doubt it will be for anyone. I truly love a light pilsner or a macro lager but this is simply junk. Its like there was no quality control on this as it would never leave the doors of 99% of the brewers I've come across.

05-09-2007 00:41:38 | More by DogFood11
garymuchow

1.65/5  rDev +5.8%

I had this once before, many moons ago, and I remember not be as offended as I found myself being this time around. This really is quite bad.
Aroma seems purely an adjunct based experience, that includes an unpleasant sourness.
Big full white head, gold-yellow and clear, with bubbles rising. A creamy appearance to the head and a scattered look to the lacing.
Adjunct based flavor. Not as obnoxious as in the aroma, but still dominated by corn. Mild bitterness to balance. Finish is shorter with a slight sourness. This seemed okay.
Watery, with no particular feel from the carbonation. Somewhat soft.
This is pretty bad. Doesn't seem worth trying for any reason.

05-23-2004 08:16:05 | More by garymuchow
matty

I really don't know what to say except that this is a Coors Light in an aluminum bottle.Hardly has any aroma with a slight watery beer taste. It goes down like water and i'd be curious to know what the ABV is.I would rate this as I would a Coors Light,great when you want to just kick up your feet or need some refreshment on a hot day.

10-04-2007 04:56:11 | More by matty
Disease

05-12-2013 05:41:24 | More by Disease
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.68/5  rDev +7.7%

Simple amber with a fine dusting of miniscule particles that remain in suspension. The dirty ivory cap is two fingers in thickness only because of a high altitude pour and is actually plastering the glass with a decent amount of lace.

I'm thankful that the nose is low on power because what I smell is not all that wonderful. In fact, it smells a great deal like the standard lagers from BMC with their off-putting musty graininess. It might also be on the sweet side, it's hard to tell without actually tasting it.

This is lousy beer, no question about it. It starts out tasting like any other AML, but quickly morphs into a low-ABV malt liquor variant with equal parts corn squeezins and grain alcohol. That underlying sweetness that I suspected from the nose is indeed present and gives the beer a nasty, rancid corn syrup flavor.

My most reliable test for bad beer is the involuntary grimace test. If it takes effort to keep to from grimacing after drinking, then I know, regardless of all else, that I'm dealing with nasty beer. Stite fails that test miserably. Oh yeah, this is as much a pilsener as it is a Russian Imperial Stout. How about a name change? Stite Crappy Lager works for me.

The body/mouthfeel is an amazingly incompetent, seemingly contradictory mixture of thin and lightly syrupy with a lack of bubbles that only highlights its lackluster feel. How is it possible for 'the largest brewery in Minnesota' to brew such awful beer? Do people actually buy and drink this stuff?

I found it hard to believe that ten different BAs could review this beer and not one of them felt that it deserved a score as high as 2.0. I'm a doubter no more; only the appearance is worth any sort of praise at all. This review can be summarized in three short words: Stite is shite.

10-06-2006 12:57:42 | More by BuckeyeNation
iceberg3k

1.7/5  rDev +9%

Poured into my favorite glass from a 12-oz. green glass bottle. I don't mind green glass, hell, I'll drink a six-pack of Rolling Rock once in a while. This is an odd duck to say the least.

Drinking Stite is kind of like drinking... well, like drinking mediocre malt liquor. I wouldn't say there's a whole lot of additive flavor. Hell, I wouldn't say there's a lot of flavor, period. I think I'd prefer Budweiser to this bilge.

01-31-2004 04:19:36 | More by iceberg3k
hero27

1.05/5  rDev -32.7%

12 oz aluminum bottle (which is a good housing for a summer brew)

Very nearly colorless..very light straw with a film of white head sitting on-top. Leaves a bit of lacing behind.
Musty, metallic corn aroma..not pleasant..but here goes..

Ugh...what happened here? Fresh out of the fridge it tastes extremely flat..almost no carbonation. Flat, light syrupy texture carries the bland cornflake flavor very poorly. This is far from a decent pilsner...or even a pils at all...definitely a poorly made lager.

I really don't like giving any beer terribly low ratings, but this one absolutely deserves it. God help you if you actually pick up a 6-pack of the stuff...luckily I only snagged one bottle.

06-05-2007 04:22:57 | More by hero27
Stite Golden Pilsner from Cold Spring Brewing Co.