Gluek Honey Bock - Cold Spring Brewing Co.

Gluek Honey BockGluek Honey Bock

Cold Spring Brewing Co. visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Bock |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 09-10-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by matjack85:
matjack85

02-11-2013 06:27:34 | More by matjack85
ADR

3.05/5  rDev +4.5%

Dark reddish brown hued appearance, clear in the light. Head is about a finger deep and flat but has some duration. Simple lacing on the glass, doesn't all slip down. Aroma is light but malty, slightly saccharine and overly fluffy. Mouthfeel is slightish with medium carbonation, and there's a sense of dusty graininess. The toasty grain character is matched by an overly mass-produced honey sweetness. Finishes better, softly with very little apparent hop to my tongue. Frankly, this is a very average beer in all categories, but its cheap and drinkable -- and free from some of the off-tones and late mouth texture problems usually associated with other Cold Springs brews that I've crossed paths with.

07-05-2004 20:17:09 | More by ADR
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.13/5  rDev -27.1%

I'm a sucker for canned beers, I guess...appears a light amber brown in color with a large cream head leaving uneven patches of lace all around my pint. Aroma contains semi sweet roasty malt character with a tocuh of honey noted but really holds together a decent smell for this cheap of looking canned brew not too much hops of course if any noticeable. Flavors are pretty rough with grainy offness flowing touch of roasty character with a light herbal hop note, pretty damn bland not as much honey as in the nose in fact it's hard to pick out amongst the graininess. Mouthfeel a bit thin in body light with not much texture carbonation moderate but seems really unnatural infused into it. Drinkability...not great but manageable like a High Falls JW Dundee's Honey Brown not something I'd search for ever again.

04-06-2007 17:54:10 | More by WVbeergeek
schoon

Iowa

08-31-2013 20:58:58 | More by schoon
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

1.15/5  rDev -60.6%

Originally reviewed April 9, 2005. Poured from a can at the Gitchee Gumee Brewfest 2005. Not really any particular aroma. I’m very underwhelmed with this beer. It’s dusty and rubbery. Very sour and offensive flavors. The end of the profile hurts of stinging aluminum foil in my mouth. This is a bock? This is beer?

How can this beer be "Worth A Try"? It's certainly the worst bock I've ever had, if not one of the most offensive non-Pale Lagers I've ever had.

08-06-2006 18:11:05 | More by CharlesDarwin
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

2.5/5  rDev -14.4%

This is a second tasting and I still cannot believe the blandness. It is very drinkable and high in alcohol. Thin, white head that leaves some lace. Noticable metallic twang. Slight roasted caramel malt flavor, cheap graininess and nothing else .There's a big hole in the flavor of this beer that baffles me. There's no discernable hop flavor or aroma whatsoever. Sweetish and and unbalanced, alcoholic/solventlike finish. A lackluster effort.

09-10-2002 18:03:06 | More by EagleTalon
FreshmanPour77

3.88/5  rDev +32.9%

Reviewed 11-15-09
Cold, from a can to a glass

Must be a father beer, my dad tossed me a couple as well, yeah one of the cheaper brews floating around!

A - Dark brown/reddish tan color, ok carbonation but only 1 finger of foam after pouring

S - Sweet honey smell fixed nicely with a sweet caramel malt smell

T - Medium bodied, sweet tasty flavor, very smooth finish

M/D - Overall a pretty drinkable brew from Gluek, not a harsh beer, pretty smooth resting in my mouth, smooth going down. Not much of a malt aftertaste. For the price a well done brew? I would drink again, maybe even go out and buy it myself!

11-17-2009 18:29:40 | More by FreshmanPour77
Gump

2.42/5  rDev -17.1%

What is it that makes cheap beer taste bad?
My son, 12 years old at the time, said "it tastes like metal".

When I bought this beer, I thought to myself "I better get the 'honey' to cover the metal taste".

First pour is suprisingly dark and foamy head.
Smells of canned beer (what a coincidence, it IS canned beer) and light grass and honey.

Taste was the familiar "metallic" flavor of canned macro brew, but not as intense as some of the more cheap shit. Also more flavorful and robust than the other examples in this category. I'm glad I got the "honey" bock.

--- additional comments on Jan 27, 207 ---
Clean amber pour with minimal head.
Acidic sweet grain aroma
Canned taste
Hard to get past the huge metallic taste, especially on the first drink.
Compare this to other beers in this price range and it's a terrific value.

01-27-2007 23:34:48 | More by Gump
happygnome

3.08/5  rDev +5.5%

a: deep amber rust color with about an eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a slender ring of lace around the sides of the glass
s: kind of bland sweet honeyish smell lacks any aroma of hops
t: kind of bland sweet malts followed by a watery taste
m: light to medium bodied little carbonation

overall, for the proce (I think $7 for a 12) this isnt bad, Gluek is known around herer for cheap beer and cheap beer taste this isnt too bad, no metal taste but surprisingly bland, good thing its not a sessioner cause i wouldnt want to session this

07-23-2007 21:46:22 | More by happygnome
Doyle

08-05-2012 03:21:18 | More by Doyle
fizzy

3.7/5  rDev +26.7%

I believe this beer gets the "bum" rap much of the time due to being drank at to cold a temp. I have experimented with this beer over a wide range of temps and have found that at very cold temps the beer is downright "blech". At to high of temps it shares the "to cold" evaluation- pretty "blech". At just over 40F, maybe up to about 45F, this beer tastes pretty good. I would advise anybody trying this beer to drink it at cold cellar temps or slightly lower. It can't take the "lite beer" chill down that has become so popular with thin watery beers.

01-01-2009 00:01:34 | More by fizzy
TastyTaste

3.03/5  rDev +3.8%

Brown body, bubbly head. I was surprised that I found a dark beer for so cheap (i am used to pale lagers when I go cheap). Not bad all-around. Just a light taste of honey in this brew. Not much more to it. Easy to drink, but not a beer that I would prefer to many others.

05-31-2004 20:42:08 | More by TastyTaste
climax

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev -2.4%

i had to turn the label on the can around and forget everything i knew about glueks beer to do this review. this beer actually much exceeded my expectations for $3.50 a sixer

a - dark brown with a purple or maroon hue

s - sweet smell, no hops, maybe hints of banana and caramel, didn't smell like crap

t - like it smelled, sweet, vanilla, caramel, banana, seemed a little diluted but was never overly strong of alcohol (5.8 % abv)

m - beer was pretty thin, somewhat watery throughout but not enough to ruin the experience

d - easy to drink but would probably get old after a few, however a grand choice if your not rollin in the dough

12-26-2008 19:02:36 | More by climax
garymuchow

3.13/5  rDev +7.2%

Exceedingly sweet mix of the honey and malt make up the aroma. Also the flat lager smell of light beer.
Real dark brown with golden highlights. Clear. Not much head and that quickly moved to a thin coating and ring.
Toasty quality to the taste. Honey sweet, very slight brunt tones. Little to no bitterness, but some dryness at finish. Not much depth. While not a good bock, necessarily, this is as its name notes, a blending of honey and darker malt.
Really thin, like a light beer.
Nothing I'd go for much, but could be a transition beer for those moving away from light beer. Not bad. Best thing from this brewery.

10-31-2004 14:51:53 | More by garymuchow
Mistofminn

3.53/5  rDev +20.9%

Ok, I have never liked Gluek, but I have always liked Bock's (not necessarily Honey Bock's) so this is a clash that I was interested to find out how it turned out.

Pours a brown color with ruby highlights. Actually has a decent size head, but that disappears within a few minutes. No lacing.

Has a very strong smell. I opened the can and poured it into a pint glass and my roommate across the room said "wow I can smell that from over here." Has a pretty average smell. Not bad, not impressive. There is a strong presence of alcohol on the nose, however.

Tastes like a slightly watered down average bock. Definitely was not expecting that from a beer that cost's about $0.40 a can. Don't get me wrong, this is not by any means an impressive bock, but compared to the cost, it's really not that bad. It's actually...dare I say...kind of good!

Very crisp mouthfeel. Not smooth or creamy, with minimal carbonation.

Easy drinking.

The thing about this beer, is the cost to quality ratio. For $9.50 a case, you really can't go wrong. If you don't like it, leave it in the fridge for free-bee's when your buddies come over, maybe they will like it. Really though, I would buy a case of this anytime.

01-08-2009 02:43:59 | More by Mistofminn
cfitterer

Arizona

05-21-2013 03:00:01 | More by cfitterer
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.23/5  rDev +10.6%

Well, my buddy and I decided to get some good beer, so we got some good beer and some cheap beer. We went with Titan IPA and this. The Gluek was only $10 for a 24 pk and right now I am thinking it is quite the bargain. This beer is actually drinkable.

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory glass. Color is golden bronze. Pours a golden bronze color. Thin head that leaves no lacing.

The smell is mainly malty. No hop aroma. The taste is a lot similar. There are some earthy hops along with carmel notes. Not to bad of a taste.

Mouthfeel is very bitter and crisp. Leaves a slight sticky aftertaste.

Overall, this is one great beer for the price. I would much rather buy this beer than any BMC product. If you need to go cheap, check this beer out.

01-25-2009 02:25:30 | More by mothman
ZAP

3.15/5  rDev +7.9%

Nice looking mahogany color....off white head...looks the part....nose is light honey and vanilla....some hints of alcohol soaked dark fruits....body is on the lighter side of medium...slick...sweet....a bit watery but at the same time somewhat sticky sweet...flavor is sweet roasted malts...a little honey is evident..a small note of the dark fruit...the best thing about this beer is there are no off flavors....

I bought this hoping that it could compare to say Michelob Amber Bock...I had no grand illusions of this being some great beer but for 9 bucks a case if I could get a relatively decent "Amber Bock" like beer I'd be happy with that...mission accomplished...this is very comparable to Mich Amber Bock (which isn't a ringing endorsement but makes it drinkable in my eyes)..a little thin...finishes with a slight oversweet after taste but all-in-all the best Glueks beer I've ever had....

06-26-2004 04:18:28 | More by ZAP
budgood1

3.45/5  rDev +18.2%

pours out a mahoghany colour...sparse head and lace. a light toasty and sweet aroma...not too bad. while not a true bock, it tastes alright....light nuttiness and a touch of sweet honey mingles with a graininess and toastiness that melds quite well together. the good thing is that i can't find anything i don't like about the flavour profile. i can sense the bittering hops, and i would say this is a fairly tasty dark lager. the mouthfeel is nice; the body a bit lean and watery... but for $10 a case of cans one can't go wrong. the elevated ABV isn't noticeable either. i think i found my new cheap beer alternative. i'll be buying more.

08-18-2005 00:22:49 | More by budgood1
Bighuge

3.63/5  rDev +24.3%

Deep russet brown with a crimson flair to it as well. Big thick beige head with decent retention and nice lacing. Nice sweet aroma. It doesn't lead me to believe that this is going to be a thick, syrupy over-sweet concoction as some of their other offerings are. Some cereal grains and light honey on the nose. The taste is very agreeable. Sweet, but definitely not overdone. Some adjunct tones come into the mix. Grainy. A little bit of a dry finish. From hops?? Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and the body is a little better than medium. No signs of alcohol.

Damn, this one's not bad. Easily the best to come out of Cold Springs. At less than $10 a case, this is actually a pretty good deal.

07-01-2004 05:31:22 | More by Bighuge
scruffwhor

3.48/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.

Appearance- Left only a one finger head with about two minutes retention. Color was a mix between betwen mahogany and brown sugar mixed with tap water.

Smell- Some watery, yet tpasty malts insist on telling my noise it is a worthy bock with a slightness of sweet honey straight from the plastic bear.

Taste- Starts out with a dry earthy crystal malt and light German hop bitterness. The honey slowly shows itself in a drak way. By dark I mean in the shadows. Left behind a slurry of light toasted malts.

03-29-2006 03:23:02 | More by scruffwhor
lwillitz

3.38/5  rDev +15.8%

12-oz can poured into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - 2-finger white head disappears in less than a minute and crackles like Rice Krispies as it goes. The beer itself is a transparent orange-brown, almost a combination of the main brown color of the can and the color of the orange goat on the can.

S - overwhelming sweet smell of honey, some malty scent, faint hop presence

T - sweetness of honey and malt balanced fairly well by some hoppy bitterness, especially in the finish; not much complexity to the flavor, but what it has is pretty good.

M - light- to medium-bodied with average carbonation

D - This is not exactly a world-class beer, but it was always my default when I just needed to re-stock the fridge with something. At about $10/24-pack, this beer packed plenty of bang for the buck. Unfortunately, the brew is no more. This is very likely my last experience with Gluek Honey Bock. RIP

03-15-2011 23:18:49 | More by lwillitz
BeerBelcher

1.45/5  rDev -50.3%

This beer was good from the perspective that it exceeded my expectations from a cost-to-value perspective. I picked it up on a lark because it was soooo cheap at Discount Liquor. I expected a pale economy lager all other budget beers I can think of. What I got was something that actually seemed a bit bock-like. The bad news? It was not a bock I liked! Truer to style than other budget beers might be, but still not really worth buying or drinking, no matter the price.

It was dark brown but brilliant and sparkling, with a fine white head. I started to think that maybe this cheap beer wouldn't be so bad...price isn't everything after all. Aroma was diacetyl, metal, and some caramel. Flavor was not good...malted milk ball graininess with some sourness that I really don't think was supposed to be there. Pretty awful. Mouthfeel was thin. Most of this went down the drain.

I would not recommend this beer. I have several more in the fridge awaiting their eventual disposal, which will not be via mine (nor anyone else's) stomach.

I bought this at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.

11-10-2008 19:31:15 | More by BeerBelcher
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

1.93/5  rDev -33.9%

Drank right out of the can at a boy's weekend in Fargo... We pick beer by price, and the place went to this beer cost less than 25 cents a can...

The beer had a mildly sweet quality to it, and was drinkable when excessively chilled. I will have good memories of it due to the time I had, but I would never buy it again except under similar circumstances.

07-11-2008 23:09:47 | More by kjyost
jera1350

3.23/5  rDev +10.6%

My dad picked up a 12 pack for under $4 at the local liquor store for this so I thought I'd try it out.

Pours a lighter brown with pretty nice head and some tight lacing.

Some honey, grain, banana and a bit of citrus.

Mostly light roasted malt, some grain, hints of banana also.

Pretty thin feeling. Carbonation isn't too bad. Finish is dry.

Easy to drink. Nothing spectacular, but nothing that turns me away either. Middle of the road bock, but at a stellar price.

09-06-2009 23:36:20 | More by jera1350
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Gluek Honey Bock from Cold Spring Brewing Co.