Gluek Golden Pilsner - Cold Spring Brewing Co.

Gluek Golden PilsnerGluek Golden Pilsner

poor

Cold Spring Brewing Co. visit their website
Minnesota, United States

German Pilsener |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: JeffreyG on 09-13-2002)
Reviews by xymyl:
xymyl

Arizona

1.27/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured into ordinary water glass.

Very light yellow/orange with a weak white head that fades quickly to fully reveal a clear, still, bland-looking beer.

Stinks of bad bad bad corn with a hint of barley malt peeking from beneath the stench. There are some other aromas, but none are that great and certainly cannot battle this scarecrow.

Tastes like diluted overcooked vegetable (mostly corn) juice.

I drank the whole thing out of respect for my kindly hosts but there were moments that I fought off a serious gag reflex. This is some bad bad bad stuff. However, it was a very interesting experience.

No redeeming qualities to this (not mean but still) offensive beer.

08-19-2008 18:18:36 | More by xymyl
Rifrafboy

2.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Mine was ice cold, poured into a pint glass. Slight, watery head that is gone quickly. The smell is definately of cheap grains, but not as bad as some others. Taste is bitter, very grainy. Not a lot of hoppiness. Somewhat smooth finish. Actually I was quite impressed with the overall quality for the price. This is definately one of the best cheap beers I have ever had. I paid $10.99 for a case. This will be good in the summer.

05-05-2007 19:05:52 | More by Rifrafboy
umustdrink

2.85/5  rDev +32.6%

$5.99 for a case!!!
How could I not??

A - Completely see-through neon yellow color; looks like an energy drink. Head is bright white and fades to a film, thicker around the edges.

S - Corn and sugary sweetness. A very faint bitterness makes it smell more like beer than plain cooked corn.

T/M - Thin with a sharp carbonation bite, slightly sweet corn-like taste with a light bitterness. Not bad tasting, but far from anything discernible.

D - Definitely better as cold as possible (I think I enjoyed it the most right out of the freezer, with little bits of frozen beer). If you can get it for the price I did, go for it, if only to have it waiting for the right occasion.

I'd buy another case.

08-02-2007 05:01:17 | More by umustdrink
happygnome

2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

a: pours a very pale golden color with an eigth inch of head that dissapears fst leaving very little lacing
s: sweet start in aroma followed by slight bitterness
t: very similar to aroma in that it starts with sweet corn grains and has a little hop presence
m: light bodied adequitly carbonated

Overall if this beer is served ICE cold it can be very refreshing and many of the unpleasantries are diminished.It's a lower ABV beer and that increases its refreshing characteristic. Not a bad beer for the price

04-07-2007 17:21:30 | More by happygnome
TastyTaste

2.53/5  rDev +17.7%

Picked up a 24 pack for about $7.60, not a bad deal...
Poured out clear straw color, with a small head that dissipated to a microscopic layer on top of the glass. Smell is slightly skunky, barely there. Taste is very weird. A very mellow, banana/grassy flavor that is not very usual for a beer like this. Not that bad, for the price. Defiinitely designed to be consumed in mass quantities.

09-13-2004 20:28:55 | More by TastyTaste
mnstorm99

2.8/5  rDev +30.2%

Straw yellow pour with a little head that is gone in a minute. No aroma to speak of except a faint sweetcorn aroma. Flavors are actually not to bad, for the style, corn adjuct very prevelant, and malty, but for a pilsener it has flavor. Unfortunatly, this would be a better American Pilsner than a german one.

04-09-2008 12:52:55 | More by mnstorm99
natemann133

1.93/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a straw, pale-yellow color. Frothy head that quickly disappears. A fairly smooth taste and mouthfeel for a cheaper beer. Tastes much better from the tap than from a can. A non-offensive, sweeter smell, much better than most beers in its price range. Not recommended as a great first beer, but it definately gets more bang for its buck ($8-$10 for a 24-pack).

11-22-2006 16:40:52 | More by natemann133
JeffreyG

1.7/5  rDev -20.9%

I couldn't find a single thing that made me think this was really a pilsner so I listed it as an American Lager. This beer isn't just bland, it's borderline offensive. It's appearance is not too bad, but really not much head to speak of. The smell is very off-putting, kind of a rotten corn (silage) kind of smell. The taste proves not much different, i'm not sure if this is what they are going for but it's got a nasty sweetness to it, again with a kind of rotten taste. Almost no hop flavor at all. I don't know how good I am recognizing adjuncts, but I think that is what is going on here. I honestly almost poured this beer out.

09-13-2002 08:26:24 | More by JeffreyG
ZAP

2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

This is not a German Pilsner as listed but a regular old American Lager....ingredients used are definitely cheaper than most.

The first time I had this I thought it was Ok...upon further review this is bad.

Pours a very clean, clear light golden color....the nose on this is OK...sweet vanilla, perhaps a some almond extract...

Taste is slightly sweet...body is light and watery...

Could work as a lawnmower beer if you're not too picky...I expected complete shit when I bought this and I am pleasantly surprised...it is clearly a slight rung up the ladder from "complete shit" don't rush out and buy this thinking it will amaze you...it has a lot of cheap qualities to it and is below average but it is not "AS" wretched as most of their offerings...the Honey Bock still is their only decent beer.

08-05-2005 05:51:41 | More by ZAP
budgood1

pours out of the can the typical straw yellow colour with a fluffy fizzy head. it has a lightly fruity and adjunct aroma, sort of reminds me of keystone. as far as the taste is concerned, there is nothing offensive about it...in other words it doesn't taste bad, which is a plus for this cheap beer. mellow flavour...a bit of corn and maybe some grassy notes. has that banana angle that reminds me of keystone noted previously. it quenches at least. i'd call the mouthfeel on the watery side and the body light...it almost tastes like a light beer. drinkability is ok...a lawnmower or yard work quencher or one to mix with some tomato juice. it's cheap beer at a cheap price.

05-27-2006 22:49:44 | More by budgood1
cpolking

Iowa

2.7/5  rDev +25.6%

I had previously tried Gluek Light. It was thin, metallic, a bit sour and typical of some of the Cold Spring beers. So I was I bit leery of this. But it is not objectionable. I am not saying it is praiseworthy, but it is non-objectionable. But it is definitely an american adjunct lager and not a german pilsner. It is a very pale golden color. Quickly dissolving head. Nice carbonation and mouthfeel. A crisp and refreshing regional American lager in the macro style. The light was hard to get down. I could drink several of these. I am not saying I would seek it out, but I would not avoid it, and I can't say the same about the Light. But avoiding that is a moot point as Gluek is now almost a dinosaur, a.k.a. extinct.

11-03-2010 00:47:54 | More by cpolking
feloniousmonk

1.43/5  rDev -33.5%

Color, extreme in it's lightness of yellowness
Aroma, extravagant in it's capture of the essence of nothingness
Head, a wispy, soon-dead, flash of the ghost of foam that never-quite-was
Mouthfeel, ...I'm sorry, what?
Texture...whutchyutalkin'bout?
Taste...I...really...honestly....Lord, I'd like to forget this one...not BAD, but not anything at all, and certainly not a Pilsner, not even Golden...I think even Coors Light has more flavor and body, God help us all...alas, poor Gluek! Ah, what do I care! Only, please, learn from my sad experience and withdraw your dollars and dimes from any of their output!
Only good thing about this, was I didn't pay for the bottle!
Don't you, either!!!

11-30-2003 09:37:33 | More by feloniousmonk
Gluek Golden Pilsner from Cold Spring Brewing Co.