Nils Oscar Coffee Stout - the Nils Oscar Company

the Nils Oscar Company visit their website
Sweden

American Stout |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: Ljunkan on 10-25-2008

2008: Rwanda Gatsinga espresso coffee is added to the finished stout.

2011: Brazilian Fazenda Ambiental Fortaleza espresso coffee is added to the finished stout.
2.46/5  rDev -35.9%

I was really thinking that I would enjoy this more. The color and the appearance looked very inviting the nose was very bitter smelling. The head wasn't around for very long. The taste of this beer was pretty much just straight black coffee. I wasn't able to get any type of Malts, Hops or anything else from it. I just found that this beer was kind of un-balanced.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

2.55/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass. Notch on back label but no way to tell what date it means. Was black in color. No visible carb and no lacing. Had an average sized tan head that quickly settled to a collar that eventually disappeared.

The aroma was heavy on the coffee from the Rwanda Gatsinga espresso. Not much else in the nose. Didn't get the chocolate or roasted malts that others mentioned. It needs something else besides the coffee. Taste followed the aroma and was coffee heavy and needing something to balance it. The coffee tasted watered down to me which hurt the mouthfeel.

Normally I love coffee beers but this one is a huge miss for me. And at $6.29 for a 11.2 oz bottle it is a major disappointment. Only positive is that I knocked Sweden off the list. At this price, don't recommend and one and done for me.

[1x]

2.59/5  rDev -32.6%

Got this bottle a couple of months ago at Sams' in Chicago. Should have kept it in the fridge. Poured with a soap bubble head that quickly subsided; no lace. Color is an opaque brown. Flavor is a wet cardboard dry coffee stout. Flat. Thin. Slight boozy finish. Something went wrong with this one. *sigh*

2.7/5  rDev -29.7%

11.2 oz bottle, I believe it is my first Swedish beer.

It pours a nice dark brown with a frothy tan head that leaves some nice lacing.

The smell is kind of weird, yes there is coffee, but it is primarily caramel and an odd funkiness. It's sorta like permanent marker.

The taste is better, if a bit thin, mostly caramel notes but with a tinge of roasted coffee.

Meh.

2.78/5  rDev -27.6%

A - a lot of red around the edge.for a coffee stout, the head is also off white, which is odd for a coffee stout. A lot of lacing.

S - mild cup of coffee, but also something like a mild fruit. Something like a breakfast of coffers and fruit bowl, but it is on the table a few feet away.

T - odd mix of coffee and fruit. Odd, but not bad.

M - kind of stocky, like pop. No tingles to speak of.

D - taste is not bad while different, so maybe one.

2.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Served this 11.2 oz. brown bottle in a Chouffe tulip. No date. The body was a solid brown with a light tan head. The foam faded to nothing rather quickly.

The smell was chocolate malts. Molasses and a slight ashiness.

The taste was of dark chocolate bitterness and coffee. Smooth.

The mouthfeel was thinner than expected. Easy to drink.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.27/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to beerisheaven for throwing this in on an extra in our latest in a long line of earth-shakingly excellent trades. I just saw the first bottles of Nils Oscar around here recently, so I'm hoping it's one more good brewery.

Smells very nice. Too many coffee beers, IMHO, are too much like a thicker version of coffee, without any subtlety, this one I have higher hopes for.

Hopes dashed! The coffee is omnipresent. There's a touch of malty sweetness & faint chocolate underneath the coffee onslaught, but I have to search for them.

Man, the smell was so good, but this is just another unsubtle coffee beer. Am I the only one that likes my coffee beers to actually taste a bit like beer? Decent enough, but I don't think I'll need another.

3.36/5  rDev -12.5%

-it is a really dark brown

-smells like leather to me. not very cool

-not too much coffee taste. might have been better in my mouth had i not just had the smoked porter 1st

-feels like coffee. that coffee mouth tongue thing

-not great for me. there is so much better coffee stuff out there

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%

Pros: Has some complexity to it. Fully flavored from start to finish. Unique expression of malt. I really think Nils can work magic with malt.

Cons: Thinly bodied. Not a great appearance. Sparse aroma. Only slightly above average for the style. Kinda disappointing.

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Brian for the bottle via Coffee BIF. Nice label design.

A very aggressive straight pour yields a short tan foam atop a dark brown brew in my tulip with a little light coming in at the sides. Some lace throughout the glass.

Aroma is composed of freshly roasted beans and dark chocolate in somewhat equal proportions. Pretty nice actually, like a 70% cocoa dark chocolate, but the coffee isnt quite pungent and vibrant enough for me. Some dark fruit is evident in the aroma, as well as in the taste. Not really as coffee-centric as I like my coffee beers - this had nice coffee flavor but it just felt kind of dull in a sense. I was enjoying the chocolate flavors in the taste more than the coffee-ness. Low carbonation is fine, but the mouthfeel was kind of lifeless, not quite substantial enough. A decent beer, but I don't think that I would seek it out again. Especially at its apparent price point.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

No idea how old this is. Served cool.

Black. An aggressive pour yields a one finger light tan creamy head.

Smells like tootsie rolls but with some malty bran breakfast cereal.

The smell carries into the taste. But it is very mild, too mild and diluted. There is almost nothing happening to give it substance and backbone.

I was looking forward to more Scandinavian beers due to success with Nogne O and Mikkeler but this one is not in the same league. Pleasant, just not substantive.

Light-medium body

3.56/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a nonic pint glass.

This beer pours a very dark brown. Some light makes its way through the liquid. There is approximately one-half inch of surprisingly white foam making the beers head. It quickly recedes to substantive lacing.

There is coffee on this brew's nose, but it is very mild. There are some hints of sweet maltiness coming through, though mostly I'm hyper focused on the minimal coffee smell.

The mouthfeel on this beer is a little too biting for my tastes. I prefer a thicker brew when it comes to a stout. It seems to be just a tad over-carbonated which I'm willing to let go.

The taste of this beer is a bit of a let down. I wish there was more complexity exhibited with the malt/hops/coffee mix. Mostly there are just hits of bitter from coffee and maybe some chocolate malt. Ultimately this one is just a little too one-dimensional for my taste.

This beer is really drinkable. I think this might be its strongest suit as it is light on the palate and easily swillable.

3.57/5  rDev -7%

Poured a roasty black into a pint glass. Around a finger of loose tan head that receded quickly.

Espresso dominates the aroma (surprise!), with hints of sweet chocolate. One of the best smelling beers I've had!

Very smooth mouthfeel, not much carbonation. Exceedingly roasty at first, followed by bitter brewed coffee and a lingering cocoa finish. I'd say it actually comes closer to milk chocolate than dark chocolate.

If this beer were a coffee I'd say it was over-roasted, but in this context I suppose that's the point. After the wonderful aroma, the taste of this one let me down -- maybe a bit one-dimensional.

3.64/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Fullers snifter glass.

Pours a very dark brown/black colour, with a quick to dissipate off-white head.

Smells of coffee.

Tastes very bittersweet, of sweet and bitter malts, with a bitter strong taste of coffee. Slightly watery mouthfeel with high carbonation.

Overall a pretty decent beer but would prefer a more wholesome mouthfeel.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Enjoyed out of the bottle in my hotel room that has no cups, somehow and I left my tulip in the car. Ahh well. The bottle design looks nice. Coffee, cocoa and roast come off the nose as I give it an in-bottle swirl. Smells good. The taste is really unlike any coffee stout I've had. Really smooth, easy drinking, lower key coffee flavor. The coffee has a bit of sweet fruitiness to it with basically no bitterness. The beer is not really sweet though, nor altogether all that roasty. It's pretty much mild, but tasty coffee flavor with a completely clean finish. Mouthfeel is a touch thinner than I want in a stout, but it has good carbonation. I am enjoying this beer. While not exceptional, it is easy to put down and has an interesting and different coffee flavor.

3.67/5  rDev -4.4%

Picked this one up on an overnight trip to Loveland, CO, and drank it by the hotel pool. The pour nets a huge, fluffy light brown head resting atop the dark brown liquid. Aromas of freshly ground espresso, dark chocolate and brown sugar. On the palate, more espresso, bitter chocolate and roasted malt. A pleasant surprise, as I wasn't really expecting all that much from this one.

Nils Oscar Coffee Stout from the Nils Oscar Company