Impériale Stout - Brasserie Bièropholie

Impériale StoutImpériale Stout

Brasserie Bièropholie visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Russian Imperial Stout |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Rastacouere on 02-07-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by mzwolinski:
4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Black in color with a dark, tan head. Aroma starts off deep and rich with strong chocolatey and roasted malt characteristics, though this fades a bit as the beer sits. Roasted malts dominate the flavor as well. A bit of dark fruitiness emerges as the beer warms, conjoined with a bittersweet chocolate flavor. Finish is mildly bitter. Not alot of alcohol esters present here for the style -- and I'm inclined to agree with eyechartbrew's concern about this aspect of the beer -- but the mouthfeel is still quite hearty indeed. Pretty good stuff.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a perfect pitch black topped with a generous brown, foam head that holds up quite nicely. The nose offers up a large puff of coacoa and some nice roasted malts smothered beneath it all with just a pinch of coffee beans in the mix as well. A thick, creamy brew that stills offers up some moderate liveliness due to the subtle carbonation. Taste wise this beer took a step down from it's wonderful nose. Some bitter chocolate was obvious as well as bitter coffee notes but the roasted malts seemed to fade away and the finish offered up an odd tangy quality. I can't put my finger on it but the tangy finish left me unsatisfied and hoping for more richness and body. Along with the tanginess I found this brew finished up on a somewhat light note. Overall this beer started out very promising but I think the overall taste failed to live up to the appearance & nose of this beer. High marks up front, then a drop off towarsd the end.

Thanks Beersignal.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance – This thing could not have looked better. The body was jet black and poured like motor oil and the head was monstrous. I came up beautifully, lasted forever, and completely laced the inside of my Chimay glass. It eventually had to drink right through it.

Smell – This has a wonderful nose consisting of big, roasty malts, fine chocolate, hearty espresso, and a good dose of refined table sugar. The bitter chocolate notes especially were a joy to smell.

Taste – The dark chocolate and coffee come out big at the taste. The sweetness pulls back a bit, leaving a dark, bitter almost unsweetened cocoa flavor that completely satisfies. I think there’s a thin caramel flavor here, too, just enough to keep things interesting.

Mouthfeel – This was medium-bodied and very bitter in the mouth without a hint of the 7.0% ABV.

Drinkability – This is good, good, good. It’s not a heavy hitter like the Stone or Expedition, but it is terrific and makes for a very special evening.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

It poured a thick tan head in my Duval glass and revealed a wide variety of aroma. Heavy chocolate malt dominates, but there's a coffeee and brown sugar aroma, much grittier than a cookie. The first sip is like coffee grounds: it's thick, tough, and will kick your ass. Let it warm up and it will reveal a tough imperial stout with lots of flavor. It mellows out on the tounge in a pleasant mouthfeel; for all the initial taste, there's nothing sour or unpleasant on the tongue. It stays strong and firm with each sip. (Shaddup, you.) Further sniffs reveal a more lactose base, and a more milky backbone, probably what refrains this beer from being Hop City. The head dissipates into lace within minutes, but a strong aroma remains. Forgive me if I delve into commercial-speak, but this beer continues to be filling and satisfying to the last drop. Especially filling. I can't imagine another beer after this. With the strong aroma and taste, and the thick texture, make this the last beer of your beer tasting.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

(2004) Completely black, roasty anise aroma and taste, with coffee, oily quite drinkable. Not too discernable from other good stouts I have had recently. Bitter and sweet. Chocolate malt there and some citrus.

(2005) more chocolate in finish after some bitterness and coffee. Satisfing smooth. Overpouring thick mocha head. Much better than last year.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

I'm not sure how this happened but when I uncapped this bottle it started erupting like a volcano. I thought I had been gentle with it so watch out!

I managed to capture the majority of it in the glass I had with me. This stuff is about as black and opaque as a liquid can be. It pours like it's half molasses and the thick, foamy head is a nice dark tan colour. This is a great looking stout. Decent lacing once the head settles down.

Cocoa, caramel, roasted malt, hints of coffee, some kind of candy and a metallic quality make for a pretty unique smelling stout. Maybe there's some hops in there? I can't quite figure this one out but it smells really good.

Wow, the flavour is huge. Lots more espresso than I found in the smell, a good amount of dark chocolate, pungent roasted malt and something bitter-sweet I still can't put my finger on. Maybe it's some kind of hops I'm not familiar with. Not all that sweet for an imperial stout; more bitter, which is interesting. There's a unique, dry flavour on the finish. Drinking this is comparable to eating one of those 99% cocoa dark chocolate bars; really dry and bitter. The alcohol is a little more present than I would like and at 7.9% it's not even that strong. I can't say that I've ever tasted a stout quite like this one.

Medium-full bodied with a light but powerful carbonation.

This is a great stout but it's pretty bitter and intense. I don't think I would be left wanting more once I'm done this bottle. I keep being spoiled by my familiarity with Peche Mortel; I don't expect to ever find a beer in the same style that lives up to it. Still though, this is a great stout worth checking out.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

2005 edition. Pours very dark and thick, looks black in the glass however I'd say it is more of a dark ruby red. A thin cap of tan head to begin with fell to a thin ring.

The smell is loaded with dark chocolate perched atop roasted notes. The chocolate smell covers both sweet and bitter, and is very pleasant.

The taste begins with subtle sweetness up front that hints at a caramel syrup. The finish has a charred wood flavour, which lingers for a long, long time. I get a faint coffee flavour, but it is more like burnt coffee beans. The effect is nice overall.

Thick but smooth body makes for a silkiness to the drink. The carbonation is almost non-existent, but that's ok.

Very nice beer. My first Imperial Stout, but certainly won't be my last. Thanks Mike(Orrshow) for bringing this back from Montreal.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-dark beer with an nice head with medium retention. Aroma is overpowered by roastiness and coffee, which I don’t mind. The taste is quite similar to the aroma, so again roastiness and coffee with a huge creamy body. Alcohol is very subtle with a finish that’s a bit too dry for my liking. Overall, this is another great beer from Bièropholie.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

This gets top points right off the bat for being utterly impermeable to direct sunlight, a well accomplished feat. Aside from appearing a thick oily black, it is capped by an impressive brown head that quickly subsides to a thin cap the rest of the glass. Aroma contains roasted malt, wood chips, sweet alcohol, faint licorice. The taste is of full chewy malt, milk chocolate, and some lactose sweetness. More of a rich stout (like an oatmeal/milk stout) than an Imperial stout, but I do like where they are going with this, it's a fine stout regardless of which category you wish to slot it in to. Creamy mouthfeel with a velvety texture, it flows over the palate, making this an easily regretable session stout (well, regretable the next morning after an evening of flowing delight). A standing ovation for northyorksammy for sending me this and all the other Bieropholie beers to sample, a man of worthy judgment.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

New reviews(18/12/04) A very dark black and opaque beer, that lights wasnt able to penetrate its core. A nice brownish head that never dissapeaed from my glass and let a nice oily skin to me glass. The smell was one of roasted coffee, small aroma of chocolate and expresso. The taste was actually quite very coffee, it reminded me of expresso coffee too. The mouthfeel is very weird for this second try, her taste tickles my palate and tongue, giving some tingling effects and I must say I do like that.

2.6/5  rDev -35.5%

12oz bottle cracks open and it p....oh my god, we have a gusher. Dark chocolate brownie batter brown foam rolls out of the bottle as I scramble to get a glass. I try and pour into my tulip but, in my haste, am overwhelmed by the foam as it now rolls out my tulip. I grab a pint glass and pour some in there to relieve the pressure. The brownie foam is airy and quickly dies down to a thin lacing on a deep, dark viscous brew. I have to dock the appearance though because the sexy darkness just doesn't look as good on the counter as it would in the glass.

Nose is dark and dreamy. Heavy roasted malts, espresso, bitter chocolate, all it should be.

Taste is... there could be something wrong with my bottle (this is from Quebec after all). Lots of roasting malts, bitter chocolate, espresso (as there should be) but it's joined by a solventy burning bitterness in the finish that can hardly be ignored. Sugary feeling aids the metallic bitterness as it sweeps around my teeth, rolls over my tongue, and makes me shudder. Definitely something a little off here.

I can see how this might be good. All the right notes are there, definitely disappointing that my bottle sucks because I was looking forward to this one. Or maybe it just doesn't suit my tastebuds. Whatever the case, I couldn't finish it.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Black with a chocolate head, medium at first and surprisingly persistent and sticky, still over a centimeter after 20 minutes. Nose of Coffee Crisp/ Kit Kat, not too bold, roasty lactic notes. Pleasant sniffing, but not so complex. Very creamy mouthfeel, medium body, almost silky. Bitter chocolate meets black coffee in a virtuous harmony. Burnt cigar and bitter torrefaction finish. First sip is pretty mild, but as time passes by, the tongue is well coated with the necessary bitterness. Highly drinkable for an imperial stout, I fear the name including imperial stout itself will hurt their ratings here, but I confess I was also hoping for something a little more over the top as well.

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

This is the December 2007 release.

Poured from a 341ml. bottle.

Appearance: Pours a thick, black (i mean black!) body with a next to non-existant head. Almost molasses-like in color, black as evil is!

Smell: Warming, roasted malt & barley, intense & some coffee presence.

Taste: Creamy, mouth-filling which starts out smooth but kind of sneaks up on you. Very solid.

Mouthfeel: Strong coffee overtones, corsé with a burnt-like flavor to it. A bit of dark chocolate mouthfeel to it. Full-bodied & also some molasses in there.

Drinkability: I had this last Sunday evening (Apr.13) when it snowed in the morning(!), so safe to say this is a wonderful winter brew & (*sigh*) it still feels like winter. Perfect for after dinner.

Overall: Intense & staisfying, i have found my new drug. (On a side note, try a mouthful of chocolate with a sip of this, yum!)

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to CapFlu for this one! Pours a black body with a small, bubbly head. Looks nice and thick! An aroma of a malty chocolate sweetnes is very inviting. The taste is chocolate and malt. A little dry as well. Just the way an imperial stout should be.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

got this one in a recent trade with papat444. thanks pat!

12oz bottle topped with gold foil. sampled sept 5/09.

pours pretty much black and opaque with a huge fluffy dark brown head. the head drops slowly wiht a bit of chunky lace.

aroma is good. molasses. anise. dark caramel. bit of toffee. dark and milk chocolate. floral and slightly perfumey. light alcohol. bit of espresso and coffee. the floral character seems a bit odd in an imperial stout.

taste is good. rich dark and bittersweet chocolate. bit of milk chocolate. espresso and dark roast coffee. caramel and toffee. anise. bit earthy and woody. the strong floral/perfumey character that i noted in the aroma is largely absent - which i think is good. earthy and a bit woody.

mouthfeel is good. nice big body. just over medium carbonation level, a bit higher than i like for the style but it still seems to work pretty well.

drinkability is good. great depth and complexity. hides its alcohol well. a darn fine imperial stout.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle acquire in trade with tiggmtl (thanks!). 2005 vintage drunk at room temperature.

Poured a darker than dark black with a large sized brown head. It just doesn't pour darker than this. Aromas of roasted malts, dark chocolate, lighter coffee, and some caramel. Tastes of dark chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits and a light to medium bitter coffee finish. Some lacing left on the glass. Oily and smooth body. I don't know what it was with food last night, but this one reminded me of pistachio nuts as well.

Notes from 10/28/05

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

7.7%, not dated, presumably from 2006.

A: Black motor oil pour with dark tan head; very little retention; initial leg/lace.

S: Strong aroma: tar, molasses, booze, dark fruit & a little dark caramel.

T: Plenty of roasted bitterness: tar, coffee, dark chocolate; soya sauce; with some roasted acidity in the finish. The alcohol is actually hidden under all that roasted bitterness!

M: Full body is chalky & creamy; acidic finish. Modest carbonation.

D: A little too roasted for my liking.

Similar to the North Coast Old Rasputin, which I don't really like.

I've had a second bottle that was much better. No soya sauce... more of a chocolate brownie flavour with a balanced bitterness.

Perhaps the first one wasn't stored well? I've upgraded the rating appropriately.

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

A- Fark orange head that is very small and dissappears quickly and completely. Opaque extremely dark brown/black with hint of orange. Looks a bit soy-saucelike.

S- Strong roasted coffee up front. Touch of moka. Some soy sauce flavoured almond. Molasses. Overall feel is strange and slightly unpleasant.

T- Strong roasted flavours that lead to a bitter aftertaste that lingers. Has the character of cold coffee. Alcohol fairly well hidden. It tastes like a stout and is certainly not bland, but it is a little off.

MF- Full bodied. Carbonation decent. Ok feel left in the mouth at the end of the drink.

D- Suffers from slightly off taste and aroma. Decent mouthfeel helps. Alcohol well hidden. Drinkable but not great.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

12 oz bottle, thanks to grub for sharing!

Pours a very deep and opaque black, one of the blackest, huge and thick pillowy brown head forms, slowly settles down to a thick and big bubbled layer, lace chunks all over the glass. Smell is nice, sweet, molasses, toffee, buttery oak, earthy, licorice, chocolate, roast, biscuit, some dark fruit, super malty. Taste is nice too, sweet and fruity, iron, very malty middle, chocolate, licorice and molasses, roast, brown sugar, butter, sharp finish from the carbonation. Mouthfeel is medium bodied but oily, high carbonation detracts from the drinkability and mouthfeel. Overall a pretty solid RIS. Thanks Russ!

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Received bottle as part of CanBif3. Thanks Patrick!

Appearance: Pours a thick -motor oil like black colour with one of the darkest heads i've ever seen. The cap is big and brown with good retention, leaves lots of lace up the glass.

Aroma: Truck loads of bittersweet chocolate chips, heavy on the roasted malts on this brew. Fresh roasted coffee beans, blackstrap molasses, fresh baked homemade bread, and just a touch of sweet florals.

Taste: Much sweeter than I anticipated. Starts off with a huge rush of sweetness, some chocolate and espresso bitterness and a little saltiness. The finish is quite bitter and a tad sour. The sweetness is almost at a cloying level and salty flavour is just plain wrong.

Mouthfeel: Also does not have as much body as I desire in an RIS. Feels very creamy and light, very little carbonation.

Final Statement: Looks like a beauty, smells like a beauty, but doesn't taste or feel like one. The flavour is far too sweet for my liking and holds this back from being a good RIS. Would like to sample again on tap.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

poured a dense black into my porter glass...thick choclate colored cap. Aromas of cocoa, capichino,some nutty tones and light grass some astringense from charred grains. Mouth feel is thick rich and oily..coffee, burnt treacle, bitter sweet cocoa..dense and layered...finish lingers as charred bittering takes over...a nice imperial, very drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

2005: Pours thick, black, with a short, dense, mocha head. Plentiful lacing and good retention. Sweet, roasty, milk chocolate aroma with a bit of cherry. Same in the flavour, but the roasted character is more intense. Balanced bitterness. Lingering roast with a bit of acidity. Low carbonation, lightly astringent, full bodied and on the creamy side. Quite tasty, moderately complex. They've packed a lot of flavour into this beer.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

2005B: Poured an oil like black, no real head forms but some reddish trim. Aroma seems rather repressed, perhaps it will come through better as it warms. A well pronouced mouthfeel, very thick and dense. This is by no means the most dense or pronouced mouthfeel (a characterstic that I believe makes this style rated so high and above most/all others) but present none the less. It seems to fall apart fairly quickly however after swollowed. Flavour also lacks some harmony and again not as rich as others in the style. Surprinsgly, flavour falls alittle flat considering the presence of its mouthfeel. Though I lack the knowledge to say for sure, I'm feeling that some of this is the influence of the water used. Something is throwing off the flavour in this beer, and I think it might be the water used. Though this review seems to have focused on some of its minor shortcomings, I assure you this is a decent beer.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle Inspection: Gold foiled, twisty 341 ml (that’s 11.37 oz. to you and me) brown bottle. Corner notes 2005B, which I assume is the brewing date (sampled 2007, Aug). Notes 7.7% and “Strong Beer”. I guess our friends to the North have a different standard for “Strong Beer”, I should send them some DFH 120.

Aroma: Smoke, molasses, alcohol, really just deep dark malt.

Appearance: Black as Dick Cheney’s soul. Opaque, looks like motor oil, and holds the darkest tan head I’ve seen since Speedway Stout and gives up wispy bits of lace. “Don’t touch it, it’s pure evil!” (Time Bandits obscure reference of the month).

Flavor: Wow, full smoke note which brings to mind meat, lots of it and as that settles in a full shot of coffee as well. Roasted, edge of burnt malts round it out and a very minor hop bitter that ends up being a touch astringent, but not bad at all.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation seems fitting, medium body ends up seeming a little thin given all the color and taste.

Overall Impression: Nice stuff! BeerDiablo nailed it with an Old Rasputin reference. This is like his younger, lighter hearted brother. This ends up being an Impy Stout Lite, but in the best possible way. All of the flavor, not all of the alcohol or body. Well done beer!

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A big thanks to fellow BA David, for this and a fine selection of other Quebecois brews :-)

This brew is a dark black, nearly opaque colour with burnt ruby red edges and a neverending head of charred brown foam. The aromas are of burnt/deeply roasted patent malts, super dark belgian chocolate, light caramel sauce, slightly bitter hops, and more. The taste is very roasty/toasty, sweet, and bitter on the finish. There is a bunch of dark chocolate flavor in this brew, yet there is also an interesting lactic sweetnes, that almost leads me to believe that this is more of a sweet/milk stout than an imperial. The mouthfeel is a little less "chewy" than most imperials, but than again this one is only 7%abv. The drinkability is amazing as this stuff just goes down too damn easy. This may not be an imperial stout in the truest sense of the word, but it is a damn fine, easy-drinking stout, regardless of its classifcation. This reminds me of Deesse Nocturne (Dieu Du Ciels regular stout) I wonder why ;-)

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »