Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Über Pils) - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Ãœber Pils)Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Ãœber Pils)

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: farHillsBrewer on 03-12-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Noah_

1.1/5  rDev -70.7%

I pulled this beer out of a cooler at a party a few weeks ago, and it was god awful. It smelled like a blend of herbal and red tea, and the taste... it was like drinking concentrated sugar water with an assortment of preteen girl perfumes dumped in, and the taste would NOT leave my mouth despite the fact that I immediately spat it out.

I assume that this was some kind of horrible factory error because nobody else is complaining about it, but I am leaving this review here for anyone else who has this horrible experience.

06-08-2013 23:41:03 | More by Noah_

Kentucky

07-13-2013 16:07:47 | More by mrfrancis
philipquarles

2.08/5  rDev -44.7%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear(ish) orangey-gold with a small white head. A bit of lacing left behind. Smells of pale pils malt, along with some sweet graininess reminiscent of a macro-lager. Hops are there for sure, but nothing remotely pronounced. Strong malty taste, both pale and caramel, with a slight bit of grassiness. Hard to pick anything good out of this one. Tastes like one of the macro-lagers on steroids--don't know how they pull this off without all of the adjuncts. Incredibly sweet. Full, syrupy body that doesn't come close to matching the style. This is fucking terrible. In making a "double pils" these guys have neglected everything that makes a pils good and paid strict attention to making it high ABV. Drain poured. I'd rather drink St Ides.

The fact that this is rated as highly as it is makes me lose faith in BA. Just more of the same.

09-21-2009 04:07:58 | More by philipquarles
elgiacomo

Georgia

2.23/5  rDev -40.7%

12oz bottle, best by June 2010.

Pours pale golden amber with a very small fizzy white head that quickly turns to a small ring, but does manage to leave some spots of lacing.

Aroma is grassy, floral, a hint of orange or lemon peel, bread, yeast, takes some coaxing to get a lot out of the aroma on this one.

Flavor is a fair amount of caramel malt up front, somewhat sweet, some earthy, floral hops, and the alcohol is certainly there in force, the finish on this really bothered me, best I can equate it to is the cheap high-gravity stuff like Steel Reserve, etc, but with a bit more hops.

Mouthfeel is weird, starts off quite watery, but ends up finishing a little syrupy, medium carbonation.

No Sir, I don't like it.

04-27-2010 03:04:50 | More by elgiacomo
Cresant

Kentucky

2.28/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured this 12 oz. into a pilsner glass. Deep golden clear body. Two fingers of head faded rather quickly.

Smell was primarily of alcohol. Malty sweetness and mild graininess.

Taste was sweet as well. Where are the hops? Unbalanced and lacking any noble hops signature. Corn husks and caramel. Not crisp or refreshing. Not what I expected of a double pilsner.

Mouthfeel was syrupy and rather heavy.

I will not drink this one again.

09-01-2006 01:10:15 | More by Cresant
ThisWangsChung

2.34/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours an amber color. The head is a one finger off-white shade with a nice, creamy texture. While the retention isn't the best, it does leave some lacing behind on the glass.

S: It's kind of hard to decide what's in the aroma. Okay, I pick up some floral hops, and maybe some herbs, as well. Oh, and some nondescript citrus tones. The malts in particular are too strange for me to like this aroma. A shame.

T: If the aroma was somewhat indecipherable, then the flavor is almost totally indecipherable. I get wisps of defined notes - herbs, grass, citrus, ginger, malt - in random places, but nothing that pops out. This beer is messy and, frankly, not very good. It's also metallic.

M: Full and creamy, yet not too sweet. Normally, I'd enjoy that, but since I don't like the flavor, it's hard to approve of the mouthfeel, either. Carbonation could be a little stronger.

O: Meh. Every once in a while sipping this, I'll think "hey, it's a decent brew", and then the next sip later, I go back to think "meh, don't like this very much". And there are even some sips where I consider a drainpour. Luckily, I toughed this one out - and I can safely say this is the only one I'll tough out.

01-20-2014 22:14:41 | More by ThisWangsChung
Dalem

2.38/5  rDev -36.7%

Colorwise it's a bit more orange than any other pilsner I've seen. Looks more like malt liquor (first time mentioned) actually. The slight head vanished fast and a very thin lacing that leaves from the side of the glass seconds after each tip. It smells of fresh mowed lawn and sugary malt. It's a smell that takes me back to my younger years of buying malt liquor (there it is again) 40's because they were more bang for the buck. The thing is though that while there is one day every summer where I go and visit my old friend Mickey Big Mouth I wasn't planning on today being that day. Maybe it's because of the higher alcohol content but the taste reminds me of malt liquor (3rd reference now) too more than it does of a proper pilsner. Metallic and too sweet like a corn syrup quality. It tastes like everything was overcooked turning the entire presentation into a flavor lacking mush. There is a bit of a hop flavor in the finish but the beer lacks complexities and particular characters to get excited about it.

05-19-2008 01:52:55 | More by Dalem
JDV

2.4/5  rDev -36.2%

My apologies if I got this in trade, as I forgot it's source.
Pours rich golden white a medium sized whitish head. Smell is lemon, lager like malt and light alcohol. Together comes across fresh, bright and somewhat inviting. Taste is a bit dusty, chalky and lightly alcoholic without the burn, and with lager like malty characteristics and orange rind flavor. Flavorful with strong orange rind character and light malt. Very mild hop character. Citrusy, yet lager like. Definitely unique, but not particularly great, with some alcohol presence, which is a bit obtrusive at 7%.

06-30-2008 22:01:27 | More by JDV
nrpellegrini

2.42/5  rDev -35.6%

Bottle poured to pint glass.

A: clear golden orange, 1 finger head
S: earthy, slightly hoppy
T: starts hoppy, sweetness follows, bitter earthy hoppy taste ends, and leaves sore aftertaste
M: bitter zing, but smooths out with bland aftertaste
D: Didn't want more than 1

tatums1984

01-15-2012 13:44:22 | More by tatums1984
robertmarsh

2.55/5  rDev -32.2%

This was my first Imperial Pilsner and I'm just not a fan of something this light. I keep trying different variations and nothing has jumped out at me yet. Nice aroma after the pour but thats where this beer loses me. The flavor isn't there for me. Need something thicker with more substance.

07-25-2011 23:21:37 | More by robertmarsh
Mosstrooper

2.65/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 19oz pilsner glass.

Appearance: Deep straw color with a medium sized white head that dissipates pretty quickly and leaves a one-finger lace.

Smell: Straw and grass, with corn aromas. Smells like an adjunct beer,actually.

Taste: Tastes of grassy hops and sweet alcohol. Not a whole lot to it.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, with low carbonation and refreshing.

Drinkability: For the ABV, it's certainly drinkable, but there isn't much to set this apart from the macro beers. This one disappointed me.

12-01-2009 17:33:36 | More by Mosstrooper
spitInTheOcean

2.65/5  rDev -29.5%

no bjcp for this style so im just going to shoot from my hip here.

smell is low floral hoppiness.

gold color. clear thin white head.

not alot of flavor, like at all. low malt flavor. low adjunct flavor. low hop flavor. and high alcohol flavor. im sorry but this be just reminds me of the stuff i used to drink out of a 40 oz bottle when i was 17. the flavor of the malts just do not hold up to the flavor of alcohol. in fact all the flavors combined do not balance out the flavor of alcohol.

medium low body. crisp finish, but the taste of adjunct lingers.

im not really sure what they were going for here. isnt "imperial pilsner" synonymous with "malt liquor?" in theory this beer should work, take twice as much pilsner malt for the same amount of water, add twice as much yeast, lager. but i dont know what went wrong for them. sorry. my judgement is pass on this one.

08-13-2011 04:11:27 | More by spitInTheOcean
Lothar666

Rhode Island

2.68/5  rDev -28.7%

A- Cloudy, semi-translucent golden yellow body atop which was set a foamy single finger bone white head. This took a minute or two to receed and left a sticky lacing on the rim of my pint glass.

S- When I first opened the bottle I could smell pungent malts and yeast from over a foot away. This became stronger as I poured the beer into a glass. Though very strong, the smell is not at all complex and is frighteningly reminiscent of a beefed up version of an American Macro-Lager.

T- A bit of barley malt, a tiny bit of hop bitterness in the finish, and little else. Again not overly complex, and the aftertaste was rather unpleasant. I dread to think what this would taste like if I allowed it to warm.

M- Dry, crisp, and very light bodied. Could be considered almost refreshing if not for the bland and unremarkable flavor.

D- Very easy to drink due to the light body, and the alcohol is admittedly disguised very well. I could easily drink several of these in a session if my only goal was to catch a buzz, though I couldn't see myself wanting to what with the mediocre flavor. For the same price point I would much prefer to grab a Dogfish Indian Brown Ale or 60 Minute IPA, or even a good old Sam Adams. I will not be getting this one again.

01-31-2008 02:04:58 | More by Lothar666