Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Über Pils) - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Ãœber Pils)Heavy Seas - Small Craft Warning (Ãœber Pils)

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: farHillsBrewer on 03-12-2004

Reviews: 584 | Hads: 1,067
4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

I poured this tasty pils into a pils glass. Pours with a big, white, foamy head. Head dissipates after a few minutes leaving some nice lacing. Visually, the beer pours a pale golden yellow. As for smell, hops are up front with hints of fresh cut grass. What an incredibly smooth beer. Not over the top considering the avb of 7.5%. Hops and malt are well balanced making for an easy drinking beer, crisp and downright tasty and refreshing though it does leave your mouth a bit dry which makes me want to drink more of this beer. Overall, a very good imperial pils. Alcohol is well hidden which could make this beer a very dangerous session brew. Not quite as good at the Dominion Spring Brews but its not far behind. Go out and seek this one.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

I didn't know they made Double Pilsners, but I was anxious to try this, especially after really liking the Saison. On tap at Bado's in Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Though a pilsner, I was hoping for a bit more. Honestly it seemed to almost look like Miller Lite. I'm giving it a fairly high rating, however, because I'm not sure if it's supposed to be looking any different. Should it be hazy or anything? Either way, decent lacing and a quickly disappearing head, though swirling it around a bit built it back up. Nothing fantastic, but the taste and smell brought it back up.

Smell: Almost smells like an IPA, though what's interesting is the up front hop nose. Without the yeastiness and maltiness of an IPA, though, the hop aroma seems natural, as if they were just picked (though I've never smelled freshly picked hops, but if I did I think they'd smell like this). I want this made into a candle that I can light in the summer, as the aroma would be amazing.

Taste: Hops up front, with the slight maltiness of a pilsner. Very balanced, pretty different, and very delicious. I could hardly taste, nor smell the alcohol of a beer that's 7.5% ABV, and that impressed me very much. This went very well with my pizza, as the hops that were extremely fragrant but not overbearing worked perfectly with the flavors.

Mouthfeel: Since the appearance wasn't the most fantastic, I wasn't expecting a big, creamy mouthfeel, and I didn't get one. However, this is a palatable beer, and it's definitely medium-bodied.

Drinkability: I could easily make this a session beer. Definitely try this if you see it. After drinking this style it's going to be hard to go back to a pilsner. Watch out though because the balance and flavor (especially with it being a form of a pilsner) can lead you to believe its ABV isn't very high.

4.68/5  rDev +23.8%

This is what a Pilsner should be, strong, liquid gold color with a nice white head, spicy nose, great body, refreshing and abosolutely drinkable.

This beer has a great taste, it is slightly sweet alcohol laced with noble hops that compliment the nice pure malt flavors. It is so pleasent and subtle that each sip invites another. It stands up as a good beer even warm as a 32oz serving can get warm towards the bottom. The nose is staright ligth maltyness mingled with hops of fruityness and spice. Wonderful beer and not something to be past over when you see it.

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

I had not heard about this one before buying it, but seeing an "uber pils" with not only a date code, but also bottle-conditioned and a great label, I could not pass it up. I am very glad I took the chance.

Light gold with fine-bubbled carbonation rising continuously. Huge white head is mostly creamy but some big bursts in there too. Clumps of foam cling to the glass. Smells leafy and spicy, with a little crushed aspirin (amarillos?!) also limey and mineral-like. Taste is again leafy spicy hops, minerals (a bit salty), and honey. Very tasty. The only things I would ask for is a little bit more flavor from the malt (more graininess perhaps) and skip the aspirin-like amarillo hops that bother me in the aroma and flavor. Starts medium-bodied and sweet, but quickly dries out and finishes wonderfully balanced but flavorful. Well-carbonated and alive. Hell yes, this is a nice beer. In fact, until going to review it, I had no idea that it was 7.5%. Look out, it is hidden!! This is a dangerous one. Very very good.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

poured a beautiful amber color with enormous white puffy long-lasting head. nice crisp hoppy head. this seems like its going to a good one. Ah, the nice crisp hoppy taste comes through big and strong. feels great in the mouth and makes me want more. Hard to believe this is a 7% beer. Extremely drinkable. This will become one of my favorites

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

04/15/05- Received via trade from Santoslhalper.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no dates. Poured into my Radeberger pils glass.

Appearance- Bright yellow pour with a small 1/2 inch creamy head and light lacing.

Smell- Mosty a strong pils grainy scent. Nothing out of the ordinary. Prefectly pils like scent.

Taste- Taste like a pils, but with a nice kick to it. Very bready tasting. Almost like chewing on a chunk of sourdough. Ultra grainy as well.

Mouthfeel- Pretty heavily carbonated. Leaves a semi-dry mouth.

Drinkability- It was pretty good, but the strong nature of it made me crave a regular pils. Maybe just a bit too much over the edge for me for a pils. Thanks much to santoslhalper for the sample.

4.24/5  rDev +12.2%

Says Uber Pils on the side...apparently this is a Double Pilsner. I'm excited to try this monster.

Appearance: Gold with a darker hue to it. LOTS of carbonation. I sipped on this for some time and those bubbles kept coming at a torrid pace. Tightly packed frothy head that is white as a good. Looks very appealing.

Smell: This smells like the nectar of the Gods. What I like about immediatly is that it has a strong smell. I've drank too many beers where I really had to strain my nostrils to get a good smell of the beer. This one comes right out with fresh floral amoras, white bread, hop oils, lemon/lime rinds, grapefruit, and lemon tea. Truly exceptional.

Taste: Is this an India Pale Ale? Tastes like one kinda. I like the taste, but I wish it had more spice. That's not to say this doesn't taste great...it's just a wish of mine. Before I drank this beer, I read some reviews of it, to see what I was getting into. Someone in their review said that it was too "Americanized"...this is definitly true, but that's what makes this beer awesome. This beer tastes exactly like it smells, so if you want the tastes I detected, just read above.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing, lightly malted. Has a oily hop flavor. Tastes like they used a couple different strands of hops.

Drinkability: I had trouble just sipping at it, I wanted more.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a clear golden with a large fluffy rocky white head that lasts for a good bit. ( Warning pour slowly or you could have a gusher on your hands.) Aroma is a bit of bready malt and more spicy floral hops. There is also a bit of candied tropical fruit citrus note in there. My wife said it smelled like candied oranges from 5 feet away. Taste is good. Spicy hops with enough malt backbone to keep it in balance. Does not seem as bone dry hoppy like the Dominion Spring brew. This one seems to have more floral and citrus notes. As noted earlier carbonation is ample, but not over the top. Alcohol is very well hidden. A very very drinkable beer that goes down exceptionally smooth. I would definately recommend this. While not quite in Dominions class, it is close

4.12/5  rDev +9%

Appearence: Pours a clear gold with a thin, white head. The head leaves impressive lacing.

Smell: The smell isn't too strong of an alcohol smell, but more powerfully spicy hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Hmmm... What an odd beer. It's so mellow. One of the mellowest, and almost refreshing pilseneres I've ever had. Strange. It's really quite smooth and light. It's incredibly balanced. The mouthfeel is a little watery and thin.

Drinkability and Overall: The most interesting Clipper City brew I've ever had. I had a bottle of this the other night that wasn't as quality as this one, but this is great. I just can't believe how light it tastes. Almost a Belgian Golden Ale, but with a German quality. I don't know. It's enjoyable for sure.

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours a bright golden color with a thick white head. Crystal clear with steady stream of bubbles of carbonation. Grassy aroma. Taste starts out malty, tasting of bread and grass, but finishes with on a dry hoppy note. This is an incredibly drinkable beer, one of Clipper City's best.

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

This is an exceptional offering from Clipper City, my favorite of their line. It is slightly on the dark golden side for a pilsner but that's about all I can fault it for. It has a wonderful crisp, clean, dry taste to it. Great body but no floral or fruity notes (which is appropriate for the style). Noble hops come through strongly in both smell and taste but do not give any stringent metallic aftertaste. Furthermore, this one is not skunked or oxidized as are the majority of pilsners sold in the US (Get a locally made pilsner and you'll encounter a whole new delight!).

It is now offered year round which is great news! Go out and get some now!

4.23/5  rDev +11.9%

Body is crystal clear, a bright, bold, shiny gold, not some wimpy yellow. Little streams of carbonation. Big fluffy, bubbly, rocky white head rose above the rim. Good lacing. Looks dead solid perfect.

A nose full of truly fresh grain, hay swaying in a strong summer breeze, inviting everyone down to the field.

A solid, firm malty base, very lighty sweet, followed by a gradual gathering of hops, which sneak up and overthrow the malt, with a strong snap of a finish, and a lingering hop bite thru the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is nice and chewy, not some watery American macro.

Drinkability: third of the night and thinking about another.

I have to love a beer that calls it self "Uber Pils", As DeGroens fades away, Baltimore still has at a great lager in the area. Glad to hear this will be a year-round offering. Hope it remains available in NJ on a regular basis.

Not a warning, but an advisory: try this beer.

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a very nice golden orange color with a nice inch of white head.

Scent is very crisp, grassy, and floral, smells much more hoppy than a regular pils.

Taste is a very crisp and floral grassiness just as the smell would have suggested, also has a nice grainy wood overtone to it, and a nice clean hop finish makes this a pretty tasty pils.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and lush.

Drinkability is rock solid here, hard to beleive this is 7%. A nice offering from clipper City, Thanks to lackenhauser for giving me the chance to try this one.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

A double pilsner? What in the world is that? Since I'm not that partial to pils, will this be just more of what doesn't appeal to me? I have to say that I much prefer the Uber Pils designation on the label; it makes the beer sound tougher, cooler somehow. To finish up my stream of conciousness observations, the label art is very well done.

Bright amber-gold with the barest suggestion of orange, topped by a large, frothycreamy, ivory head that sustains itself admirably and leaves behind scattered wisps of chunky lace. The nose is interesting and is different from any pilsner you're likely to run across. Its primary feature is that it's characterized by dueling hops.

In this corner, the gun-totin' Texan... Amarillo. And in this corner, 'Mr. Traditional'... Saaz. Amarillo wins comfortably, which may play havoc with the style purists out there, but, come on, these guys had to do something out of the ordinary to make their beer stand out. The fact that they chose to use one of my favorite hops makes me applaud the decision all the more.

Very, very nice. Those Amarillo hops are not backin' off on the palate. In fact, I'm having some difficulty appreciating the Saaz at all. As befits the 'double' nature of this beer, the malt structure is significant; much meatier than a standard pils by a fairly large margin.

Pale malt provides sweetness, structure and smoothness, but not much flavor (that's a good thing). The hops are much more flavorful than they are bitter, although there is a mild tightening on the finish. A beautiful, ample body completes the picture of a top-notch beer from start to finish.

Small Craft Warning is a beer for lovers of big beer. Throw all preconceived notions of the pilsner style out the window and just enjoy this sucker for what it brings to the table: loads of hop flavor and a lush, velvety body that carries that flavor across the palate with panache. Many thanks to lackenhauser for the opportunity.

3.78/5  rDev 0%

Hazy golden, good looking shining color, thin bubbles cover, sticky. Aroma is very bready, grassy, fluffy. Surprisingly grainy palate, somehow hay-ish, yeasty with an alcohol trace toward the finish. Nice mouthfeel: almost still, but creamy, cask-like. Thanks Larry!

3.79/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a bright straw yellow with lots of carbonation and a large white head. Aroma is sharp, tart hops, wet hay, clean but soft and not overwhelming. Traces of lacing on the sides.

Taste is grassy and a little sweet. Some fruity elements like mango or grapefruit along with blonde malts and clean, fresh hops and a light nuttiness. Finish is dry and a faintly medicinal.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth, the sweetness makes it very drinkable. Stronger and heavier than a traditional pilsner like Urquell. Thanks to meathookjones for sharing this unique style with me.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Best before date Sept 04, Sampled August 2004
Pours a crystal clear, deep gold color. The carbonation is slight and the head is an off-white when it is roused. A sharp strong aroma of hops emanates from my glass; it is grassy, herbal, lemony, and slightly funky. The taste is soft and malty up front, but leads to a solid hop flavor and then to a bitter finish. I get notes of toasted biscuits, spicy-herbal hops, and hay all mixed together. This is a pretty good example of a Pilsner, and it is quite tasty on this warm Arizona evening.

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The color was golden, with a short, bubbly white head. The smell was strong Saaz-ish hops with a good bit of malt sweetness. The taste started with the hops in the taste but then the obvious malt picked up, and there was just a bit of alcohol. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, could have quite a few.

A damn nice super-pils from Clipper City. Though it wasn't quite as good as the Morimoto, this is also more readily available, and I certainly wouldn't be sorry drinking a few of these!

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow! This beer just erupted out of the bottle and into my glass. Highly carbonated to the point of looking like a golden colored spritzer. A beautiful creamy white head topped off the beer and had very good retention throughout. The aroma gives off a lovely sweet honey maltiness along with sweet and grassy floral hops. Well matched aromas with just a touch sour mash malt in there.

The taste is very nice. Bittersweet and robust. This claims to be an Uber-pils and it seems to be just that. Like a German Pilsner on steroids. Full bodied and hearty. Highly attractive and inticing. Overall, this is a beer with guts. Not your typical Pilsner, but an amped-up version that has an originality about it that I like. I felt like I tried something new here, and I like it. Well done and probably underrated.

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a hazy deep gold with thin lasting head & very active carbonation. Has a somewhat mild aroma of spicy hops, sweet malts, lemons, and freshly cut grass. In the mouth this is much more full & rich than a pilsner hitting you with some butterscotch and sweet malts initially. Some gentle hopping with hints of citrus & an herbal/floral flavor. Finishes with toffee & a touch too much candied sugar for my liking. Extremely drinkable for the alcohol content & probably the best Clipper City offering I've had to date.

3.35/5  rDev -11.4%

Label has a best bought by: Aug notch. Small Craft Warning 12 oz.’er into me Guinness pint shows a clear straw colored pour, with a scant eggshell head coating. A few bubbles rise up the sides. Some scrod yeasties finally fell out after holding it upside for about a three hour tour...a three hour tour. The weather started getting rough...

Light wheaty and yeasty scents. I thought that I was going to have to fall into me glass to smell this. A few swirls release a generic grainy nose.

This Uber Pils has a mild grainy taste. Dry lettuce like aftertaste. Rather one dimensional. Afterall, it is a Pils.

Good carbonation sizzle while it sits on me tongue.

Last swigs: This will definitely age for a few months to see if this improves. A good drinker. Didn’t blow me away. Thanks to BA Shappuding for the swap.

Beer is good. Happy heavy beering.

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours out a clear light gold with a nice, cream white head that settled down to a light layer. Lightly scented with freshness, citrusy, fresh cut grass... nice. Very refreshing tasting, not too much jumps out at you. Little bit of a bite from the hops, maltyness is there, but nothing is overwhelming. It is just a nice brew. Great session beer. Picked this one up after staring at it at my fave distributer for quite a while, then finally speaking to Larry who pours for Weeping Radish at some of the fests around here, who said when ya see it to grab it. Grabbed some for Father's day gifts for my beer loving fathers too! Very drinkable, nice and light- but not too light. Good pils!

3.63/5  rDev -4%

This poured a clear golden yellow with a good-sized foamy white head. This quickly falls to a collar and leaves a little lacing. Aroma contains citrus hop scents, a bit of an earthy tone and the malt shows through as it warms. Tastes a bit sweet at first then it is followed by a spicy citrus hop flavor to balance it out a bit. The finish is a little bitter and also slightly warming. Mouthfeel is medium and this goes down quite smooth. Makes for a pretty good session beer even at 7%.

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer pours very clear and light gold, with a smaller head than anticipated that leaves quickly. Hmmm, it must have heard about the wind advisory.

Lots of nice, crisp hop aromas that do not overpower, especially for a hophead like me, but are certainly enough to refresh the senses after a long day's work.

This beer does not write checks it can't cash, as the taste is dominated by a happy hoppy profile (a little spicy... i like it) and some lingering bitterness after a clean finish.

I have only had two of these so far, but quite drinkable.

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

Golden with lots of tiny suspended particles, a big pillowy white head, very active carbonation, and sporadic lace rings. Prominent flowery hop aroma with a touch of citrus from hops (maybe Amarillo?). Malt aroma is evident later as it stands. Nice hop and malt balanced flavors. Medium bodied and very soft with a bitter hop finish but not overly so...

Easier drinking than OD Spring Brew 2004 (Imperial Pilsner).

Per C.C. website:
ABV: approx. 7%
IBU'S: 40+
Malts: German Pils and Carapils
Hops: Amarillo, Saaz, Hersbrucker and Tettnang
Style: Pilsner Bock - rich, malty, and rounded with a firm structure of noble, European hops.

Purchase Before: Aug 04