Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale) - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale)Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale)

good

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: pezoids on 05-23-2004)

1.25/5  rDev -65.9%

1.45/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I guess the Saison style is just not for me. I got this in a beer of the month club and it was the first time I had ever tried this style

Poured into a Pint Glass

This beer certainly had a strong character, it has a distinct smell and flavor that I am sure many enjoy. I am new to microbrews and different styles - I am assuming that Saison is not for me.

Appearance - Yellow/Orange, hazy. I am sure this is the look the beer is supposed to have, but I did not care for it.

Smell - This was the biggest turnoff for me. Although there was a hint of fruitiness in the aroma, overall there was an overpowering aroma of yeast or something that just put me off.

Taste - Same as the smell, I just could not get past the flavor

Drinkability - I just dont think the Saison style is for me. I did not get any enjoyment from this beer. Just not my taste I guess, I would not try this one again.

Pours a pale orangey color with a bubbly white head that dissipates very quickly. It leaves no lace throughout the glass. The aroma reminds me of Hoegaarden, of bananas and medicine. The taste is medicinal and very strange. The first hit on the tongue is bland and uneventful, but, when the aftertaste hits, whew. Harsh aftertaste reminding me, again, of the Belgian white wheat. The bottom of the glass is hard to finish. Never again, on this one.

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

Ap. Slighty cloudy and pale gold. No head or lacing to speak of, although a small head developed on the second pour.
Sm. Spice, is it cloves?
Ta. Clove soup, off-putting and unpleasant. Kind of a chemical smell.
Mf. Very little carbonation, nearly flat.
Dr. Gack!

2.05/5  rDev -44.1%

Had on tap in pint glass.

A-Golden and clear in appearance. The bar tender gave me a ball park pour, but the head was still huge; at least three fingers.

S-Not very good at all. It had a very bad yeasty smell to it. Certainly not what I expected to smell. Some very off aromas.

T/M-Same as the taste. I think the beer was skunked. It had a very sour beginning, and then a bunch of off flavors hit you. It finished with a somewhat sweet aftertaste, but that was almost completely drowned out by all the off flavors sitting on my tongue.

Overall I wasn't impressed. I was hoping for something more. If I see this in a bottle, I will pick it up to try to get a better experience.

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Color is orange, yellow, and straw. Smell is yeasty and slight odor of glue (not sure why). Taste is yeasty and earthy with hints of orange and corriander. There is a slight acetone taste to it that is very unsettling. Not the best saison I've ever had. Alcohol appears to be well hidden behind the malt as this is not as dry as I would expect a saison to be.

($2.10, 12oz, Oliver's Bev., Albany, NY)

2.3/5  rDev -37.3%

Tastes like a spicy champagne.

2.35/5  rDev -36%

Bottle to wine glass. Sampled at the end of May.
Notching at the bottom of the label indicates "Puchase Before 8/10." At least that's what the top label indicated...there were countless labels slapped haphazardly on. Sloppy.

A: Pours with a small 1 finger creamy foamy head, white with a yellow tinge. (My experience with Heavy Seas is that all of their beers produce small heads, even with a vigorous pour.) Mediocre retention. A semi thick collar lasts long and is aided by the streamers along the glass and plenty of visible carbonation. The body is lightly cloudy if not hazy with lots of fine particulate speckling the bottom and sides of the glass. Medium value goldenrod orange.

S: Average amount of sourdough bread, grain (mostly wheat) and straw in the malt bill. Lightly toasted. The hops have average intensity as well with dominant notes of lemon and orange, citrus and flowers supporting. Heavily yeasty, identifiably Belgian) with sweaty aromas of light must and barnyard. Alcohol is noticeable. Very sweet on the nose...

T: ...And even sweeter on the palate. Too sweet in fact. And the alcohol is even more noticeable, especially as it warms. Flavors of light candi sugar, bubble gum, honey, some peppery spice and maybe even a hint of ginger would normally work well together, but somehow with the Red Sky at Night, it comes off out of proportion and sloppy. Maybe if they dialed the ABV back, this beer would be more palatable.

M: Medium-full body with an alcholic texture. I can't get past it. Lightly and appropriately sour.

D: Not impressed. This is definitely a case where the sweetness (and possibly the ABV) is wayyy out of scale...not only in the beer in question, but also the style. I sure would hate to be laboring outdoors with this as a "refreshment."

2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

This poured a clear light straw color with white head. It smelled like lemon and honey mixed with yeast. It had a strong flavor of lemon hops and wild yeast, but nothing else to add any depth. It was thick with noticeable carbonation and a strong lemon aftertaste. Overall this was a fairly typical light Belgian ale, which is one of my least favorite types of ale.

2.45/5  rDev -33.2%

Color of the beer looks good, slight orange hue to an overall pale beer. There is no head at all which is surprising.

Smells of pepper notes more than anything, a nice spicy malt scent to the beer, slightly bubblegum and grassy notes.

The beer is very silky smooth on the mouthfeel and has a heavy citrus taste to it. It really doesn't have the taste of pepper as on the nose. It's not bitter at all either. It almost tastes flat, which is a little dissapointing considering it's 'Belgian-esque' style origin. It makes it taste too thick and chewy.

I'm not crazy about this beer.

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

I love heavy seas, Loose Cannon and Uber Pils, but they missed the shore with this one. 1. overly sweet 2. not complex 3. No earthy quality 4. not a dry finish. If this beer was called sweet sally ale I give it good marks. It drinks alright if you have a sweet tooth for the night. And considering this comes in a 6 pk. for $8.99 at 8% abv. it's still is a bargain. If your waiter ask you for desert grab one instead of that peice of cake.

2.55/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an Evolution Brewing pint glass. Notches on the label say DEC 11.

A- Pours a light amber color with a 1/4 inch head that immediately dissipates and becomes just a patch of surface foam. Pretty much zero lacing.

S- Smells sweet and musty, like overly fermented honey. A bit of spice and what seems to be a strange attempt at a Belgian yeast aroma. Just comes off as spastic and unorganized.

T- Fruity with a bit of wheat that's overpowered by alcohol and syrupy sweetness. Some malt but not enough to balance. Unlike any saison I've had, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

M- Sticky and stinging. Low carbonation. What a dud.

O- I don't know what they were going for, but they missed the mark. Another big disappointment from Heavy Seas.

2.56/5  rDev -30.2%