Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale) - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale)Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale)

good

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-23-2004

1.46/5  rDev -60.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I guess the Saison style is just not for me. I got this in a beer of the month club and it was the first time I had ever tried this style

Poured into a Pint Glass

This beer certainly had a strong character, it has a distinct smell and flavor that I am sure many enjoy. I am new to microbrews and different styles - I am assuming that Saison is not for me.

Appearance - Yellow/Orange, hazy. I am sure this is the look the beer is supposed to have, but I did not care for it.

Smell - This was the biggest turnoff for me. Although there was a hint of fruitiness in the aroma, overall there was an overpowering aroma of yeast or something that just put me off.

Taste - Same as the smell, I just could not get past the flavor

Drinkability - I just dont think the Saison style is for me. I did not get any enjoyment from this beer. Just not my taste I guess, I would not try this one again. (890 characters)

Pours a pale orangey color with a bubbly white head that dissipates very quickly. It leaves no lace throughout the glass. The aroma reminds me of Hoegaarden, of bananas and medicine. The taste is medicinal and very strange. The first hit on the tongue is bland and uneventful, but, when the aftertaste hits, whew. Harsh aftertaste reminding me, again, of the Belgian white wheat. The bottom of the glass is hard to finish. Never again, on this one. (448 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -44.2%

This beer was a poor excuse for a saison. It was very heavy and spiced to the point of palate shock. I could barely get through it. If it wasn't given to me, I would have drain poured this one. (193 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -44.2%

Had on tap in pint glass.

A-Golden and clear in appearance. The bar tender gave me a ball park pour, but the head was still huge; at least three fingers.

S-Not very good at all. It had a very bad yeasty smell to it. Certainly not what I expected to smell. Some very off aromas.

T/M-Same as the taste. I think the beer was skunked. It had a very sour beginning, and then a bunch of off flavors hit you. It finished with a somewhat sweet aftertaste, but that was almost completely drowned out by all the off flavors sitting on my tongue.

Overall I wasn't impressed. I was hoping for something more. If I see this in a bottle, I will pick it up to try to get a better experience. (681 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -43.6%

Ap. Slighty cloudy and pale gold. No head or lacing to speak of, although a small head developed on the second pour.
Sm. Spice, is it cloves?
Ta. Clove soup, off-putting and unpleasant. Kind of a chemical smell.
Mf. Very little carbonation, nearly flat.
Dr. Gack! (263 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -38.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Color is orange, yellow, and straw. Smell is yeasty and slight odor of glue (not sure why). Taste is yeasty and earthy with hints of orange and corriander. There is a slight acetone taste to it that is very unsettling. Not the best saison I've ever had. Alcohol appears to be well hidden behind the malt as this is not as dry as I would expect a saison to be.

($2.10, 12oz, Oliver's Bev., Albany, NY) (447 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -34.7%

Bottle to wine glass. Sampled at the end of May.
Notching at the bottom of the label indicates "Puchase Before 8/10." At least that's what the top label indicated...there were countless labels slapped haphazardly on. Sloppy.

A: Pours with a small 1 finger creamy foamy head, white with a yellow tinge. (My experience with Heavy Seas is that all of their beers produce small heads, even with a vigorous pour.) Mediocre retention. A semi thick collar lasts long and is aided by the streamers along the glass and plenty of visible carbonation. The body is lightly cloudy if not hazy with lots of fine particulate speckling the bottom and sides of the glass. Medium value goldenrod orange.

S: Average amount of sourdough bread, grain (mostly wheat) and straw in the malt bill. Lightly toasted. The hops have average intensity as well with dominant notes of lemon and orange, citrus and flowers supporting. Heavily yeasty, identifiably Belgian) with sweaty aromas of light must and barnyard. Alcohol is noticeable. Very sweet on the nose...

T: ...And even sweeter on the palate. Too sweet in fact. And the alcohol is even more noticeable, especially as it warms. Flavors of light candi sugar, bubble gum, honey, some peppery spice and maybe even a hint of ginger would normally work well together, but somehow with the Red Sky at Night, it comes off out of proportion and sloppy. Maybe if they dialed the ABV back, this beer would be more palatable.

M: Medium-full body with an alcholic texture. I can't get past it. Lightly and appropriately sour.

D: Not impressed. This is definitely a case where the sweetness (and possibly the ABV) is wayyy out of scale...not only in the beer in question, but also the style. I sure would hate to be laboring outdoors with this as a "refreshment." (1,785 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -34.1%

This poured a clear light straw color with white head. It smelled like lemon and honey mixed with yeast. It had a strong flavor of lemon hops and wild yeast, but nothing else to add any depth. It was thick with noticeable carbonation and a strong lemon aftertaste. Overall this was a fairly typical light Belgian ale, which is one of my least favorite types of ale. (365 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -32.8%

I love heavy seas, Loose Cannon and Uber Pils, but they missed the shore with this one. 1. overly sweet 2. not complex 3. No earthy quality 4. not a dry finish. If this beer was called sweet sally ale I give it good marks. It drinks alright if you have a sweet tooth for the night. And considering this comes in a 6 pk. for $8.99 at 8% abv. it's still is a bargain. If your waiter ask you for desert grab one instead of that peice of cake. (439 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

Color of the beer looks good, slight orange hue to an overall pale beer. There is no head at all which is surprising.

Smells of pepper notes more than anything, a nice spicy malt scent to the beer, slightly bubblegum and grassy notes.

The beer is very silky smooth on the mouthfeel and has a heavy citrus taste to it. It really doesn't have the taste of pepper as on the nose. It's not bitter at all either. It almost tastes flat, which is a little dissapointing considering it's 'Belgian-esque' style origin. It makes it taste too thick and chewy.

I'm not crazy about this beer. (582 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an Evolution Brewing pint glass. Notches on the label say DEC 11.

A- Pours a light amber color with a 1/4 inch head that immediately dissipates and becomes just a patch of surface foam. Pretty much zero lacing.

S- Smells sweet and musty, like overly fermented honey. A bit of spice and what seems to be a strange attempt at a Belgian yeast aroma. Just comes off as spastic and unorganized.

T- Fruity with a bit of wheat that's overpowered by alcohol and syrupy sweetness. Some malt but not enough to balance. Unlike any saison I've had, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

M- Sticky and stinging. Low carbonation. What a dud.

O- I don't know what they were going for, but they missed the mark. Another big disappointment from Heavy Seas. (757 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

best by aug. 2009

pours a slighty hazy bright gold with a 1 finger head that leaves a little spotted lacing

smell is strong banana and belgian yeast

taste was much like the smell - the beer has no spice and pepper - just not enough going on here

mouthfeel was good medium body little syrupy with just enough carboantion to make it creamy

drinkability is ok but there are just too many real saison out there which are 10 times better

the only thing this beer has going for it is the price $8 sixers but the beer doesnt bring all the flavors to the table or anything new (574 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -29.5%

I happen to like this style of beer and I hope this one meets up to the one I have already tried.

It's sitting here warming up to the room. Lately I have letting my beers take the chill off before I first taste. I some experiences the beer gets better when it warms up

Here is goes.

Well, thats different. Less carbonation in this one.
The taste isn't as sharp like others.

Lacing very minimal, like none.

So far I really not digging this one but the style is represented.

It like it's to mellow or something, maybe bad timing.

I say try at your own risk on this one so far. (604 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -27.1%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours an absolutely beautiful amber color. The head is a two finger white shade. Its texture is creamy, and it fades away relatively quick. Lacing is streaky at first, but becomes more sheetlike as the head goes away. It's not really saison like in appearance - even so, this is damn gorgeous.

S: This has a lot in the way of candied sugar and phenols. Notes of coriander and sage are also present, but otherwise, this one seems too sweet for the style.

T: Ayup, too damn sweet. An initial taste of phenols gives way to some mild spicing...and hardly mild candied sugar. Not only is it rather sugary, but the finish is a bit boozy. Nothing too harsh, though.

M: Syrupy, under-carbonated, hefty, lifeless - everything I DON'T want from a saison. Drinkability isn't great, either, but by no means is it completely undrinkable.

O: Look, it's not really a bad BSPA at all. It's just a bad saison: the only characteristic Heavy Seas got right is the spice flavor, and that's simply too mild. Not only is it too sweet for a saison, it's too sweet for a regular Belgian pale ale. I don't plan to revisit this one. (1,148 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -26.8%

This Saison offering from Clipper City pours a clean golden color, lots of carbonation trails rise to a meager head that drifts to splotches. No lace. Smell is sweet and yeasty. A bit of citrus fruit as well. Interesting. Taste is again yeasty, sweet malts, finished very sour. Not appealing at all. Any notes of the yeast and sweet malts get dominated by the sourness after a few tastes. Mouthfeel is bleh, the sourness ruins this brew for me. I see myself offering my remaining brews to a friend. (498 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a goldenrod shade of yellow with a whole lot of clarity. Lots of bubbles rise up to the top of the glass, albeit at a relatively leisurely pace.

The nose is pretty interesting. Not all that enjoyable, but interesting to think about. The first wave of aroma is all apple cider, perhaps some pear. Chalky wheat malt shows up too. There's some bubblegum yeast character, but the yeast isn't phenolic enough to seem like an properly-performed Saison yeast strain. This beer does have an aroma that I haven't come across before -- like that of a mustard seed-based wet rub (for meat that is to be barbecued).

I sort of like how this beer tastes, but I rate to style. Red Sky at Night is not a good example of the Saison style. It's just not dry enough. Apple juice right up front, followed by some musty bubblegum yeast flavors and a whole lot of spice. Not even the flavor of any particularly spices, just the harsh sensation of having swallowed a dickton of them. Despite the spicy notes, the beer is pretty sweet and wet tasting all throughout the drink. Imbalanced.

Saisons are dry beers, and this beer isn't so I can't justify giving it a decent score. It's medium-bodied for the style, perhaps even on the thicker side, but the sweetness and wetness does the beer in. Overall, this is a curious beer that doesn't taste poorly but also doesn't rate highly. It's trying to be a Saison and it is more or less failing at it. (1,472 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -24.9%

On draught Charlie Mopps Roswell Rd. Sandy Springs, Ga.
Let me begin by saying this is not a very good representation of the style at all. It poured a golden straw colour with a white head the vanished in seconds. Crystal clear, this was bereft of any sediment or even a touch of cloudiness. A far, far cry from what any respectable saison looks like. Smell, while mildly spicy and yeasty, didn't exhibit the typical saison profile, and more closley resembled a hefe than anything else. Smell was, however, closer to where should be than the appearance. Taste was mildly sweet with some very suble spice. I hesitate to give this even average, but do so in lieu of there being a 2.75. This was a very poor example of the style, however, I will say that I was stunned to learn that this was 8,0%, as it drinks, well, well, below that. Glad I tried it to satisfy my curiosity, but I won't be ordering this again. (910 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip. Best by date: 9/06.
Moderate head faded quickly and left no lacing or foam ring. Body was a cloudy golden yellow orange.

Smell was fruity, vinous. Candy sugar sweetness.

Taste was fruity and tart. Candy-like. Not especially dry. Rather one dimensional.

Mouthfeel was spritzy. Medium/full bodied. This is not one I will return to. I have yet to find a Clipper City beer I really enjoy. (458 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Has some sweetness to it which is odd for a Saison. I don't really find this beer to be a traditional Saison brew. This beer was on the cloudy yellow colored side. Has a pretty good head that sticks around till the end. The beers sweetness kinda turned me off from this brew. To me a Saison should be more earthy or funky but this one just didn't have that. (357 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -23.6%

12oz bottle, served in a Duvel tulip

A - aggressive pour yields a very thin layer of loose bubbly white foam which quickly settles to a ring and small floating island. the beer is rich golden in color, and quite hazy. crazy amount of white sediment collecting at the bottom of the glass.

S - fruity with candied lemons and banana...light tartness. some gentle clove and earthy spices and faint grain.

T - strong grainy base with some fruity banana and candi sugar. rosemary and clove add some spice towards the end before a mild grassy hop finish.

M - awkward thickish body with a medium amount of carbonation. leaves mouth slightly sticky due to near cloying sweetness.

D - ummm, this at best this is a mediocre Hefe...certainly doesnt have any of the good Saison qualities. too sweet and not nearly refreshing enough. ill pass. (835 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -22.5%

Dark golden body with slight head.

Yeasty smell, with caramel and ripe fruit tones.

This saison is dominated by malt character in my opinion. Yeast is the next noticeable flavor, adding a slight spiciness. Ripe fruits are in the background.

Creamy with good carbonation, a decent mouthfeel overall.

After having one of these, I don't really plan to have another, so the drinkability takes a hit. (399 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -22.5%

Pours a super clear light golden color. A thin white head fizzles out to a thing ring and provides some lacing.
Aromas are malty, wheaty, candied and spicy.
Flavors of slight malt, candi sugar, a little coriander. Is a little sweet. I'd venture to gues a Wit yeast was used.
Medium to full bodied. A little syruppy.
Overall, I'd say that this beer is not to drinkable. It just seams that the sweetness would wear you out. (425 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -21.7%

Not much lacing in the pour. Large bubbles that quickly dissipated. From the start I wasn't impressed.

The smell was mild, not what I expect from a Saison. When I was smelling it, I dunked my nose in the beer trying to getting a better whiff. It smelled like a Saison, only muffled.

Taste was the same, I felt as though I was drinking through a filter, although the carbonation was was tighter than the appearance. This created a better feel on the tongue than I expected.

It was drinkable because there wasn't much flavor. If it wasn't for the high alcohol content, this would be a great beach beer. (603 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured out dead despite a strong golden color with great clarity. Little to no carbonation and thus a very thin, watery mouthfeel.

Straight out it smells of green grapes, soft white bread, and a light grainy presence. Fairly simple and nowhere near as alluring as more assertive or complex saisons.

Tasted like all types of grains and thangs: white bread crust, crushed crackers, and dulled spice. A light grape/pear flavor comes light. Hops are light and muddled, bringing on a distasteful finish of cheese, paper, and corn meal.

A couple of bad bottles? It was pretty dead in the water, simple bodied, and the finish was long in the wrong way. (655 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -21.1%

Bears many of the typical Belgian aromas--orange and coriander, with hints of pear--but these are accompanied by a candy-like sugary aroma, almost like a Jolly Rancher had been dropped into the bottle. And these rest on top of a layer of toasted grain notes, which seem--at least in my bottle--to have a slightly sour note around the edges.

On the tongue, the fruity flavors come out swinging right from the bell, bringing rather large apricot, orange, apple and pear uppercuts. There is a good layer of spice surrounding these fruits, but nowhere near as heavy as in many Belgians. The sourness noted in the aroma also takes a swing or two, coming across as a vague hint of apple cider in the mix. Toasted grains lie just underneath, and come on strong in the later rounds.

Overall, while there are many lovely and delightful flavors in here, this does seem like a featherweight Belgian: easy on the tongue, and not as nuanced or practiced as its bigger brothers. That doesn't mean that it's a bad beer, of course--in fact, it's very drinkable. But if you're a huge fan of Belgians, this is not going to add anything new to your repertoire. (1,145 characters)

Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale) from Heavy Seas Beer