Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale) - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale)Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale)

good

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: pezoids on 05-23-2004

3.37/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured a golden amber from a 12 oz. bottle. Lively head forms quickly, but dissipates quickly; leaves minimal lacing down the glass. Much yeast floating in the glass, more than most. Smelled more of grass, fruits, hops, but some sourness as well. Taste was nice, but more sour than what I look for in a Saison. Taste I found very similar to the Fantome variety more than the Dupont variety. Mouthfeel was average. Drinkablity for me is limited, as I prefer my Saisons a little drier and less sweet/sour than this one.

3.17/5  rDev -13.4%

Bonus points for pirates.

Pours clear, straw color with a 1 finger white head. Good retention and snowfall lacing. Constant bubbles from the glass bottom and live yeast floaties.

Smells like wheat and pepper. Some orange rind.

Tastes of mild wheat into pepper spiciness. Heavy spice finish. Some orange syrup. A campfire brew? My first saison...I think I'm all set with this style, pirates and all.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle to a standard pint glass. Received from the micro of the month club.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange with lots of flakes and a little white head that disappears quickly.

Smell: Very sweet and fruity with hints of banana cloves. Reminds me more of a wheat beer than other saisons I've tried.

Taste: Again, tastes more like a wheat than a saison, but still tastes good.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth.

Drinkability: Very drinkable and would definitely recommend.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Thanks goes out to mikereaser for this brew.

Pours a nice cloudy golden pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger foamy white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. Then nose is malty, with some yeast, and bananna/coriander. The taste is malty/yeasty, very nice spice balance. Medium body. Drinkable, I like this one, not as much spice as other Saison I've had in the past.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

Red Sky at Night is the color of an overripe pear with a soft white head that mostly diminishes, leaving a woodgrain pattern. There are many white particles all through the glass. The lacing is OK. The aroma is fruity and spicy: banana, clove, gewurztraminer, possibly numeg, dough, and cider. It is medium bodied and crisp. The carbonation is sparse and sharp. It leaves the mouth a touch slick. It's a well-blended flavor, lightly bitter, tart and acidic. It does remind me of a gewurtztraminer, in fact. All of the aromas are incorporated in the flavor. The end of the taste is of starchy apple and a spot of butter-- almost salty. It's quite tasty. I wish I had a 750 mL bottle of this.
(rated Jul 28, 2007)

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a clear golden orange color with a foamy white head that settles into a thin lace. Fruity aroma with hints of apple, pear, cloves, spice, banana and bread. Very crisp and quaffable with golden fruit flavor (apple, pear banana), spice, cloves, bread, cherries and strawberry.

1.46/5  rDev -60.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I guess the Saison style is just not for me. I got this in a beer of the month club and it was the first time I had ever tried this style

Poured into a Pint Glass

This beer certainly had a strong character, it has a distinct smell and flavor that I am sure many enjoy. I am new to microbrews and different styles - I am assuming that Saison is not for me.

Appearance - Yellow/Orange, hazy. I am sure this is the look the beer is supposed to have, but I did not care for it.

Smell - This was the biggest turnoff for me. Although there was a hint of fruitiness in the aroma, overall there was an overpowering aroma of yeast or something that just put me off.

Taste - Same as the smell, I just could not get past the flavor

Drinkability - I just dont think the Saison style is for me. I did not get any enjoyment from this beer. Just not my taste I guess, I would not try this one again.

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle suggests enjoying by 9/08, and it is 9/29/08. Enjoyed in a goblet.

A: Moderate pour yields 1/8 finger of head that quickly subsides. I would like more head. Liquid is cloudy, slightly lemony gold.

S: Tart wild smell, Mmmmm! Sour citrus aroma is nice, slight diaper smell is awful, but only flits in and out, not enough to be very distracting or detrimental.

T: Flavor isn't as sour as smell. Nice sweet malt with sour buzz around the edges. Slight alcohol and cooked veggie/yeast flavor once the dregs are poured in :( Apricot, apple and rainier cherry flavor arrives near the end, where did the sour go? This is a quality saison.

M: A little phlegmy from yeast. Bright from sour/wild aspect.

D: Pretty strong showing. This is one multi-faceted and tasty brew which keeps me coming back for the positive reward.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

A- Marigold sunflower yellow and crystal clear. The head is one finger of white foam that leaves lots of nice wet lace on the glass. The color of this brew is like looking through BluBlocker sunglasses, or a crisp German Pils.

S- Sweet malty caramel and sugar. Crisp grassy hops and a whiff of EtOH complete the nasal picture, and an outdoorsy flower garden note makes this very Springy and fresh.

T - Grassy, floral hops, lemony wheat, and mashed corn make up the bulk of this flavor profile. But, this is overly sweet and floppy. The nice fresh bouncy nose becomes bloated and fat on the tongue. This needs more hops or carbonation, and less sugar to hold it together.

M - Thick and sugary with very mild carbonation. This is almost too sugary, and the combination of sugar and booze makes this reminiscent of a cheap malt liquor.

D - Looks and smells good, and tastes pretty decent too. However, the flabby mouthfeel and crummy finish make this one fall apart.

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%

I'm a fan (but not an expert by any means) of the Saison style ales so whenever I see one, I like to give it a try.

This one poured with a very slight head, less than I was expecting. It has a nice golden color to it.

As farmhouse ales go, this one has the spice, a bit of fruitiness, and the refreshing taste. However, this one was just very mild in all those categories. It just didn't have any intensity to me. The lack of carbonation on the pour and the drink affected the experience. I think it just needs more.

In fairness I will give this one another try. Maybe my bottle was just a dud. It's a good beer but I was hoping for more. I do like the Heavy Seas line of beers in general. If my next Red Sky at Night experience is great, I'll gladly change my review in accordance.

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

I had just read a nice article in BA mag about saison ales and was intrigued. I love wheat, I love spice, and I love refreshing. So imagine my delight when I saw that Heavy Seas made a saison!? Now you are coupling the wheat, spice, and refreshment with my favorite domestic brewer! I practically crashed my car enroute to Bruisin Ales to pick me up a sixer. And man it did not disappoint!

Poured an orange straw color with a 1 finger soapy white "light" non-dense head. Wan't a strong pour. Coulda extracted a bigger head without too much trouble.

Head dropped to 1/8 relatively quickly. Carbonation was boisterous and with a hazy microsediment throughout.

On the nose was ripe fruit with some tangy malty characteristics. Taste was wheaty with some spice and fruity esters. I was getting overripe pineapple, banana, cantelope maybe. Perhaps some clove-esque spice. Not clove though. Similar.

You get some alcohol with a little mouth swish. Finish is tangy, fruity, lingering. Love the wheat element. Love the spice. This thing is haunting and taunting. Can't get my palate entirely around it. There's a "hefe" element about it. Perhaps a Bavarian style yeast strain giving it the fruity clovey characteristics. Not quite banana and not quite clove but there's something very similar going on.

Buy this beer and love it while you can. It's unique and delicious.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

Received from BRoss242 as part of Dance/Trance/EDM BIF. Thanks!
Lightly hazed and a bright yellow with a thin ring and skim of white bubbles after the fizzy cap settled. Nice aroma, spicy up front with cereal grain and lemon, a little floral and fruity too. Mild bitterness with fruit and spice throughout, some citrus zest. Slight banana and higher alcohol character as it warmed, but not enough to throw it out of balance. Medium bodied with average carbonation, very smooth texture with a bit of dryness at the end. Pretty tasty.

4.14/5  rDev +13.1%

From a brown bottle with notches on the bottom noting a best by date of November 2008. Pours a warm apple cider yellow with next to no head. Slightly hazy and bottle conditioned.

The nose is fruity and has a distinct Belgian ale/yeast scent. I get spicy apples, almost cidery, with some light crisp grapes.

Tastes like a Belgian style ale. Fruity with touches of clove spices and a dry candied finish. Not overly sweetened which is fantastic. Smooth with a little yeastie malt.

A nice summertime beer that hits the spot after a long run or some outside labor. This one isn't as rich as a Belgian ale but has a lot of the same characteristics. Quite refreshing with the perfect amount of carbonation a good balance of malts to hops to fruitiness and a nice semi sweet slightly dry finish.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

12 ounce bottle into my favorite goblet.

A: Nice honey hue with lots of suspended stuff in there. 3 finger head on pour that dwindles to a nice sheen (Martin not Charlie). Decent lacing.

S: Very sour smelling like a lemon tart minus the sugar aromas. Medicinal, wheaty.

T: lemon-bready-with-a-bit-of-butter kinda taste that has a very medicinal feel that leaves a tart dry aftertaste. Doesn't seem to grow on me like some of this variety, but good nonetheless. The booziness is ust a bit noticeable.

D: I was hoping as this warmed a setled on my pallate that it would get better, and it actually has a tiny bit but not as much as I was hoping. A really good beer though. Try her on for size, she'll fit nicely.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle marked to be consumed by 11/08. Smells like a fruit bouquet of cherry and maracuya with hints of mango and plum and of course, yeast. Pours to a cloudy golden red with lots of structure. Taste is slighty acidic, sweet yet sour with a good hearty mouthfeel. Om the finish the mouthfeel is silky, my guess due to the AC. The finish taste is is spicy and slighly bitter. Overall it leaves a fruity taste lingering. Complex and hearty. A good offering.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to a goblet.

Pours golden with a thin white head and lots of floaties.

Smell is semi sweet bananas with some pepper.

Taste is smoothe banana with some light spicy snap.

Full, carbonated mouthfeel

Very easy drinking 8% beer.

I like this beer. It is different from the "traditional" saisons, but a very nice beer to drink.

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Golden colored, relatively thick white head. Sweet fruity, vanilla, yeasty aroma. Fairly strong. Vanilla, cream and banana flavors in the taste with a sharp alcohol note in there. A full-bodied refreshing type of summer beer although the abv in this limits that a bit.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

old review deleted and recorded for posterity below the new, single from Whole Foods Reston notched 09/08

a: pours a low white head that recedes to leave a thin layer and ring, the beer is an attractive pale golden-orange with a light haze

s: pale barley and spicy wheat malts carry notes of granny smith apple, apricot, and white grape juice, a nice yeasty aroma brings some green banana, clove and other spices, some sweet candi sugars, papery hops contribute to a lemon toddy aroma, somewhat nontraditional but I'm very much enjoying this

m: carbonation and body both just under medium, could stand to be a bit more lively on the tongue

t: yeast and a touch of citrus ride a spicy wheat malt and pale barley backbone, on the sweet side for the style but nothing oppressive - though it is a little sickly/buttery to a fault, hints of green banana and clove, hops give a flavor of dried lemongrass and a mild bitterness

d: easy enough, though the sweetness wears a bit...a nice local saison for the summer

---

-Produces a one finger white head and is a golden straw in color, with maybe a minute tinge of red and slight cloudiness. Best before date of October 2005.
-Smells more sweetly of malt than the color would indicate. There is a nice little sprinkling of hops in there too, just enough. This thing smells delicious...hints of sweet banana, yeast, candied tropical fruits and sweet cherries, and watermelon. The 8% alcohol is nowhere to be found; well, maybe a little. (edit: as the beverage warms, the ethanol becomes easily noticeable)
-Generously carbonated and medium light in body.
-Tastes is of clean light malt and just a little hops. The ethanol is pretty evident in the finish. Finish is also dry with a little lingering spicy bitterness.
-I enjoyed the aroma quite a bit more than the taste, but this is a good brew nonetheless.
4/4/4/3/4

3.77/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Orange/yellow, mostly clear but with some fine particles suspended in the brew. A small, fizzy head forms quickly and dies quickly. Very minimal lacing.

S - A hint of fruity esters are there, maybe pineapple? Otherwise the beer is highly phenolic, as expected, with scents of hay, pepper, iodine, and a distinct cheese/rubber aroma.

T - There's a peppery kick in the beginning, giving way to a very powdery yeast flavor. Iodine and cheese/rubber pull through and become almost salty, before being rounded up a citric bitterness.

M - Nice crisp carbonation, but the body is a little thick for my tastes.

D - A decent saison, even if a little heavy.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. The beer is hazy and golden colored with lots of suspended flakes and almost no head. I really liked the look of the liquid but the trim above the beltline was sort of tarnished. The aroma is very sweet and smells like the esters you get from some Belgian yeast strains, very much like Golden Monkey. The flavor is great but doesn't fit the style imo. This tastes like a very good tripel, not anything like the saisons I've had to date. Lots of fruit and yeast and so forth. Almost no hops that I could taste. Very drinkable based on sweetness despite some evidence of alcohol in the taste.

Overall this beer is more tripely than saisony. It's very good and I would have scored it higher if the label stated tripel, but based on the saison nameplate I gave it this less enthusiastic review. My least favorite so far from the Heavy Seas line-up, but really all of them have been good beers.

4.22/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very nice golden color with good head, nice lacing, and quite a bit of carbonation. Very nice scent, some clove tones and a nice maltiness, along with a slight pepper aroma. Excellent taste, some nice banana and clove tones, along with a fantastic honey flavor, with a nice spicy ending; very well balanced between malts and hops. Goes down quite well for a higher ABV, with just a bit of roughness from the carbonation. Nicely done!

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

appearance - Nice gold color, small white head with some lace.

smell - Spicy, hops, wheat.

taste - Has a fruity citrus taste, that is not overwelming. Has a bitterness and yeast taste towards the end.

mouthfeel Medium-light.

drinkability - Easy drinking beer, I think it was ok for a Saison beer.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

This is another relatively good beer in the Heavy Seas line, but line the other non-hoppy beers, this one could use some refinement to sharpen the flavors and increase the complexity. What you do get here is a creamy assortment of farmhouse spices, fruity Beligan esters and touch of light malt flavor - so all in all a tasty brew. It does sit a bit heavy for the style and isn't nearly as refreshing as other saisons, like Dupont. Still worth a try though for something different.

3.12/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Poured a slight, hazy golden-orange with a quickly dissipating white head. Visible carbonation was strong.

S: sweet fruitiness (apples), spices, light lemon hints and cereal grains.

T: For flavor there was some sweet malting, spices and fruitiness (oranges, apples). There was a nice yeastiness to the drink before finishing with a touch of sourness. The flavor was muted, almost wishy washy at times.

M: heavily carbonated, yet was very thin and light on the tongue.

D: Much better examples out there and honestly not worth the price of a 6 pack, and only barely worth the price of a loosie. Overall less then moderate drinkability and enjoyment,

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%

When I took a sip of this beer, I thought to myself "unexceptional tripel," but I thought it to be pretty decent. When I read the label as to what the brewer intended it to be, my opinion of the beer deflated slightly. It didn't seem very saison-y to me, and I didn't get the complexity that was purported. Nonetheless, it wasn't a bad beer but I'd be reluctant to seek out another.

Appearance was a hazy straw color. Head was virtually non-existent. Aroma was of candy sugar and some cloviness. Flavor was very tripel-like, with lots of clove and more candy sugar. Not a lot of "yeastiness" nor did I get any of the funk or diacetyl that is frequently associated with saison/farmhouse beers. Mouthfeel was a bit flat. Not bad, but hardly living up to its labeling.

I wouldn't really recommend this beer, not because it was bad, but because there is a world full of better choices out there.

I got 3 bottles of this from a gift membership to the "Microbrew of the Month" club.

Heavy Seas - Red Sky At Night (Saison Ale) from Heavy Seas Beer