Heavy Seas - Peg Leg Imperial Stout - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-03-2004

Deep mahogany in color with aromas of roasted coffee, molasses and dark chocolate. Subtly hopped, making it astonishingly smooth and easy drinking for such a big beer.
Reviews: 674 | Hads: 1,292
4.87/5  rDev +34.9%

I love dark stouts and imperial stouts, though most i can only deal with their flavors and strength once a night. The drinkability, flavored notes, and tastiness of Peg Leg was more than enough that i could drink it all night long. The smooth coffee and chocolate flavors make this imperial stout one of my favorites. (317 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +34.3%

Strong aroma is rather sweet and has a definite overtone of rum-soaked wood, as well as caramel and malty notes. It pours a beautiful clear mahogany with a fairly thick and fluffy pale tan head. Sublime flavor has tones of rum, caramel, malt and wood, and is rather sweet but not cloying. Full-bodied, syrupy texture has just a little fizz, though. A truly satisfying beer to be sipped and savored. (398 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

A: this pours black and since am color blind to red, I will take others word it has a ruby hue. Not much head, but nice lacing, in fact impressive lacing.

S: coffee, chocolate, aroma hops, sweetish hints

T: okay, others I think rate this low because of the name imperial, take out that word and let's rate the taste here. I love stouts and porters, and I have had many different brands, and have been disappointed with many due to lack of bold and aggressive flavors. This beer has a wonderful coffee hint but not too much like some. I can finally taste the hints of chocolate, it is full flavored, warming, medium lovely carbonation, smooth and very creamy. This is an alpha stout and I love it. It's one of this first stouts I had, then I sampled so many others thinking I would return to this and find the lack of quality, but I still appreciate this bold stout, and it is sweet, not dry like some other popular brands , not much hops here, but not bitter either.

M: smooth, creamy, slightly prickly carbonation.

D: okay, this is 8ABV and since it is heavy and somewhat sweet, I'd only have a few, but when I want a bold strong stout this will be one of the ones I go for. I will make sure there is always a few in the fridge.

Conclusion: maybe I am still an amateur beer reviewer, but taking the science out, and throwing in the taste and enjoyment. Of a strong stout, this is wonderful. Oddly I will always have a flying dog gonzo imperial stout available as well. Enjoy and give this a try. (1,502 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +28%

I am sampling a 12 oz bottle of this beer poured into a pint glass.
The beer pours a dark chocolate brown and allows no light to pass through the glass.
A small tan edge layer of head is all that exists, but it seems to have staying power.
The aroma is lots of roasted malt and molasses, mild coffee notes and brown sugar as well. No hop presence or booze either.
First sip reveals an average body with silky texture and fine rolling carbonation, the mouthfeel makes this beer slide down the gullet easily.
Flavor is just what is expected, roasted malt and molasses, some brown sugar again and no real hop presence. Again the booze is very well hidden and this beer would easily sneak up on you and become rather dangerous. A nice Imp Stout!! (742 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Poured into a snifter, it's pitch black with about a finger head which is retained for a decent amount of time.

Smell: Very nice! Dark chocolates with coffee. A very roasty sweet smelling stout!

Taste: Bitter dark chocolate is very up front with a touch of coffee. Very malty.

Feel: Could have more body for such a robust taste and aroma. But not bad.

Overall: Much better than I expected! Mixed sweet and bitter very nicely. (437 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +25.2%

My in-town trading partner, tone77, came through with some Heavy Seas beers recently and I am finding them very pleasant, especially in the face of so many AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers in support of The CANQuest (TM). I am anxious to see how this stacks up.

My (probably) over-aggressive pour brought the head right up to the edge of the glass and I am sure that my Physics colleague would tell me that surface tension or some such was all that kept it from foaming over. It also set up what almost looked like a cascading action before settling into just over a finger of mocha-tan head with great retention. Color was an inky black with ZERO light penetration. It did not matter how I held this one up to the light, nothing was getting through. Nose was rich and roasty, like coffee and dark chocolate combined. The neck label mentioned "... notes of coffee and dark chocolate" also. I agree. Mouthfeel was smooth, not quite creamy, but very reminiscent of an N2 pour. The chocolatiness was prevalent on the tongue and in the mouth, but it was not as bitter as the nose led me to expect. Instead, it had a mild smokiness to it in combination with the chocolate. Finish was very smooth, initially with a dark chocolate flavor but giving 'way to a light roastiness. A very pleasant beer and one that would be excellent as a dessert beer. (1,333 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours out a brownish black body with a large tan head that goes away rather quickly. The retention is very good, but has ok lacing and moderate carbonation. The smell is a nice roasted coffee and dark chocolate along with more dark chocolate. The taste starts out with some creamy coffee followed by some dark chocolate and roasted malts. The back of the mouth has a little bitterness to it, but overall the taste is well balanced. the mouthfeel is very smooth, creamy and silky feel in the mouth. This is a really really great beer to enjoy. Doesn't seem to be as full bodied as other Imperial Stouts I have tried, but still satisfying after one, even though two is always nice when it comes to a great tasting beer.This is going on my must have stout list, and I recommend anyone that likes stouts or imperial stouts to try this. (831 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +25.2%

$1.80 for a 12oz bottle at Jacks. Brewed with English Pale, Crystal, Chocolate malts, and Black Barley. Hopped with Fuggles and Styrian Goldings. 8.0% ABV. Best By notched label. Bottle Conditioned.

Pours out to a clear dark brown. Not as black as expected, nor as thick as expected. Forms a tall fine dark tan head with good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is composed of molasses, prune juice, milk chocolate, distant espresso, rotting red apples, and plums. The mouthfeel is soft and very silky. Medium bodied, but with a very full, smooth palette that makes it feel thicker than it really is. Almost as smooth as a nitro tap. The taste is a recap of the aroma with a nice bittersweet edge. Decidely American in flavor, not British as anticipated by the ingrediants. There is a faint sourness which makes me think that this beer would not store very well. Perhaps it's the green hoppy acidity. Well balanced.

As an imperial stout, this isn't very representative of the style. It's rather mild for that, but overall, it's an excellent, very enjoyable beer. It's not rich beyond compare, but it is well-balanced, smooth, easy to drink and full flavored. I would certainly buy this one again. (1,219 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +24.9%

Short Version:
Wonderful warm creamy and complex stout with subdued roast, big chocolate, well balanced hops, and a drinkability that is uncommon in a beer this large. Heavy Seas is the bomb. Period.

Details:
OK, I've had 5 of these already and have to rate this one because it's the last in my six. Though I'm certain to buy it by the case in the future.

Pours like a dream. Thick 2 1/2 finger dark pecan colored head. Had a unique 'aftershock' effect where there is a slight pause after you finish the pour and the head reaches the top of the glass and then finds another gear and gushes up and over the side. Could easily be a 3+ finger head if a standard pint glass could contain it. I need to learn to pour these gingerly.

Head has exceptional durability and had the tempurpedic micro-bubble look. It develops deep craters over time and leaves a distinctly bubblebath residue on the sides as the head settles.

Color is deep, deep, deep opaque black. Tar or creosote comes to mind. High-swirling a half glass up to a bright light reveals dark brownish pigment rather than ruby or mahogony.

On the nose I get some sweet malt, a little alchohol, and chocolate. Some bready malt roastiness coming through but it is very subdued compared to many stouts. Some nippy hops poking their heads up in the background as well. There is a hard-to-describe 'warm creamy' smell about it. Maybe 'cuz this is the last of my 6 pack and I've been tipped off and know what is coming in the taste...

The taste is decadent. It's on the strong side of medium bodied with a big rich flavor that starts strong at the inlet, warms its way around the palate, and delivers the goods all the way down and out. More malty than bitter. Creamy chocolate with subtle nut flavors and an interesting faint hop tang. Alcohol is there too but ever so slight and not distracting. Just enough to make this thing stand forward proudly and announce itself as BEER. There is a certain creaminess about it mid palate that keeps bringing me back for another sip.

As it warms the roastiness increases and the chocolate characteristics pick up even more. This is one of the most well balanced stouts I've had. It's so warm and flavorful yet is one of the most drinkable stouts going. It doesn't get heavy and bomb you out after one or two. I could literally drink 4 of 5 of these and not get that overdone sensation where you are looking for an ESB to cut it and scour the palate like Ajax. Much the way I have to drink orange or grapefuit juice with bacon or sausage. Milk just doesn't cut the grease. You don't get that sensation with this stout. You can just keep indulging in its decadence without getting sickened. VERY bad combo... especially at 8% ABV!!!

Lace is out of this world. Just like the Heavy Seas Hop3 I rated. It's splattered and clumped all over the glass in huge marvelous creamy splotches. Unlike the Hop3 there is some remote semblance of a ring structure whereas the Hop3 was completely random.

This beer is quite complex and robust in flavor. The Heavy Seas line of beers out of Clipper City have quickly become my de facto favorite beers you can get in a bottle. I've had three different ones now and can't wait to try more. (3,217 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.8%

I purchased this beer at Malones Bar and Grill in Harrisburg, PA.

The appearance was very dark and rich!

The smell was very inviting as well.

I am not one who likes Stouts but i can tell you that i enjoyed this beer very much.

I would definitely purchase a sixpack of this beer if given the opportunity. I really enjoyed this stout and look forward to having another one! (375 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.8%

Had this at Piratz Tavern in Silver Spring, MD.

A: Black with some light that shines through when held up to light. Barely noticeable head.

S: Caramel, dark fruits, malts, toffee, dark chocolate. Nice and sweet but not cloying, with a great roasted malt backing.

T: Heavy Seas has really made an imperial stout to compare with the best. Roasted coffee, malts, and dark chocolate biscuit shine through. Dark fruits are readily present: blackcurrants, blueberries, and blackberries come to mind. This is one delicious brew.

M: Decent body; not too heavy, but has gravity. Creaminess is also prominent, imbuing a chewy feel.

D: Great drinkability. It's nice to see a local brewery near where I live producing something this world-class. (741 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +23.8%

I thought I had tried this a while ago, but didn't have any records of it, so I tried it again last night. It poured opaque black with tan head. It smelled like caramel and coffee malts, citrus hops, and a bit of alcohol...sweet but without the typical chocolate. It tasted like caramel and oatmeal malts mixed with mild coffee and milk chocolate, creating a surprisingly delicate and subtle flavor for an imperial. It was slightly thick with a bit of carbonation and had a lasting, bitter aftertaste with some slight alcohol warming. Overall this had an interesting balance of flavors that shifted from sweet to bitter. It was very clean and drinkable, but they could have cranked it up one more notch to reach its full potential. (731 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: black with ruby highlights towards the bottom of the glass when held up to the light. Very small light tan head that disapates fairly slowly. Nothing too impressive, but still looks good. very little lacing.

S: Very strong smell of roasted malts and chocolate and some dark fruit.

T: Dark fruit and roasted barley is very up front, then then coffee-like bitterness comes in and stays for the finish leaving a bitter aftertaste. I didn't taste any alcohol until the last couple of sips. This is definatly an imp. Stout, but it's a little bit lighter than others I have had... that isn't a bad thing however, sometimes I'm in the mood for a big beer that dosn't kick my ass and this one is perfect for that.

M: Though it's a little thin, it is smoothest beer I've ever had. It goes down as easy as water. Which could be a bit dangerous since it's a little high on the ABV.

D: Very easy to drink and very tasty. I can't believe this has an ABV of 8% because I sure couldn't tell. It would be easy to down quite a few of these without knowing how much you just drank. Very good. I'm going to have to get me some more of these. (1,139 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

Brew Bud came over and as we were brewing we took a break and this was sampled...

A: black as night and nice frothy head about 1/2 inch.

S: Coffee and dark fruit fill the nose.

T: As expected coffee and dark cherries fill the buds with a nice light hoppy after taste at the very back end I think is a molases comes out biting.

M: smooth and rich, silky and slips around the toungue waking all the pallate.

D: Very drinkable and will definitly seek this one out this week as I travel to Baltimore, Maybe a tour if I have enough time after working! (551 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While helping one of my companions to the Maryland Oktoberfest find a nice regular beer (Clipper City Gold) I saw this and got a glass.

The beer poured a solid black with a nice tan head. The aroma was of dark fruits. The taste was a warming mix of malt and dark fruits. The feel was surypy and thick. This is what I look for most in an Imperial Stout, and I found it to be quite enjoyable. I will be picking some up in the near future. (440 characters)

Had on cask at Beer Run in Charlottesville

A: Pours a light and bubbly dark brown with really interesting carbonation. A nice, bubbly light brown head with about half of the ten ounce glass down filled with visible bubbles rushing up.

S: Coffee, chocolate, and cream.

T: The cream is again present here, along with some vanilla. More dominant are milk chocolate and roasted coffee. Slightly bready and nutty.

M: Very nice, though probably partly due to being on cask. Creamy yet bubbly, and very smooth.

D: Could drink this all night--in fact, I went and had this two nights in a row. I'm glad I came across it. (618 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured a very dark brown with a tan head that leaves lacing

S - Is of malts and mocha coffee

T - Nice malts some caramel and chocholate

M - Very smooth and creamy if I could get this at starbucks with some caffine I'd have one every morning

D - See above a little high on the abv to make it a session brew but I think this is my favorite stout that I've had so far (374 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Poured a dark brown, forming a 1/2 inch creamy tan head with very light lace.

S - Strong roasted malts dominate the nose with the alcohol coming through slightly throughout.

T - Roasted malts and coffee coat the palate. The taste finishes with a coffee/cocoa bitterness to the end. No hops noticeable throughout the taste. Not as complex as some RIS, but still very full on flavor.

M - Heavy bodied with a low amount of carbonation. Very smooth mouthfeel.

D - For not being as complex, this RIS still has a great flavor with an equally great body to go with it. The abv is high as usual, but not high enough to keep from enjoying one or two throughout the night. Overall, not an amzing RIS but still great enough to keep me going back. (789 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

A- This looks like motor oil thats about 6 months overdue for a change. Light only gets through around the very very edges. Has a nice one finger tan head that sticks around for a few but not too long.

S- Caramel syrup malty smell. Has hints of coffee and plenty of chocolate.

T- Toasty coffee and chocolate. Love the chocolate malt. Not very bitter. Nice loooong finish.

M- Full body, frothy and a smooth finish going down.

O- I love this one. because the company has focused on the malt rather than the hops it makes this one very drinkable. Have to force yourself to drink it slowly or that 8% can creep up on you. Great beer. (633 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours an opaque black into a DFH signature glass and when held up to the light the skinnier parts of the glass give off some ruby tints. There is a solid finger of dark tan head that dissipates slowly and leaves a bit of lacing.

S: the first thing to hit the nose is a wallop of cinnamon and sweet chocolate. Some beautiful smoke and dark chocolate with a nice coffee and caramel note.

T: wonderful dark chocolate bitter/sweet right off the bat. Nice medium roast coffee and more sweet chocolate with some spicy under notes. There are some great dark fruits; figs, dates and prunes.

MF: a good heavy body, slight effervescence keeps it a tad viscous and smooth.

O: a great, easy to find, affordable and some brilliant undertones mixed with a well balanced core style. (778 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%

appearance - Pitch black color, with a tan head, that didn't stick around.

smell - Roasted malts and cocoa.

taste - Has a sweet taste, with hops present at the end of the taste. Taste of caramel and chocolate flavors are present.

mouthfeel - Light-medium body.

drinkability - Very nice stout,.might be one of the best I have had. (335 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours jet black with a half inch head which stays at about an eighth of an inch to a wisp high and has the aroma of chocolate and coffee.

Has a very slight molasses coating, but may be just a bit over-carbonated which may dull that effect.

Tastes somewhere between a bitter stout and a sweet porter--overall has a very good taste and at $10.99 for a sixer you can't go wrong at all. (385 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great imperial stout. Big fan of the style. Very smoky / roasted flavor and very heavy overall as.a stout should be. Definitely not a session but perfect for cold winter days at home. (183 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into my pint-sized pub glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown, essentially black. No light gets through. Very little head at the beginning, and what there is dissipates quickly. There is no lace left on the glass.

Smell: Lots of rich chocolate and coffee scents emerge from the glass, with hops also being present. You can tell you're in for a good beer....

Taste: Yep! The taste makes good on what the smell promised. This is quite sweet for an imperial stout, and the 8% alcohol isn't very noticeable. There is a subdued hop bitterness that keeps the beer from being too rich. The finish is pleasant and not extremely long, with the malt being the main hanger-on.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy, just as it should be.

Drinkability: This is such an enjoyable beer that it's easy to forget how alcoholic it really is - if not for that, I could session with this, and would savor every drop.

Needless to say, I really liked this beer; in fact, this is now one of my favorite imperial stouts. It's not as strong as others I've had (speaking in terms of flavor), and perhaps that's why I find it so drinkable. Wassail! (1,134 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice.

Best before Sep/08

A: Pours a dark-brown, coffee-black color with a a small tan head capping the top. The foam disappears quickly and leaves behind a faint skim and small bubbly ring. Specks and globs of lace are left in the glass.

S: Interesting aromas of dark chocolate, dark roasted malt, brown sugar, dark fruit, and a faint whiff of hops.

T: Prominent flavors of dark chocolate and roasted malt. Also along for the ride is brown sugar/molassas, raisin, french press coffee, hops, and cocoa.

M: Initially sweet. This becomes drier and noticably bitter as it marches through the middle and onto the roasty finish. A little thinner than I expected. Sticky finish lets the roastiness develop on the tongue.

D: Very nice flavors and aromas coupled with an abv of only 8% make this pretty drinkable. (861 characters)

Heavy Seas - Peg Leg Imperial Stout from Heavy Seas Beer