Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 AleHeavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: Higravity on 09-09-2005

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped.
Reviews: 1,193 | Hads: 3,225

A: Beautiful copper color with a nice fluffy off white head.

S: Huge grapefruit nose very citrusy.

T:Again grapefruits and hops meld together beutifully.
M: Nice medium bodied with a pleasant creaminess.
D: Amazing. I've loved Loose Cannon for a while but to finally try it on cask....Fuhgedaboutit!! (306 characters)

This is a great beer, its my first choice if I go into a pub that serves it. When I have that in hand and the restaurant offers burgers, I get mine with blue cheese. Loose Cannon goes really well with stinky cheeses and red meat. It's great on its own too. (256 characters)

Serving Type : Bottle to a Duvel Snifter

A- Pours a beautiful golden orange. 2 Fingers of head that leave great lacing when it dissipates. Which it has not fully left after sitting ten minutes to warm up a shad.

S- Wow. Just amazing. Great american hops. Grapefruit presence with a slight pine resin in there. Mild malt backbone that seems to balance it out.

T- Unbelievable. This beer is simply amazing. What an IPA. Ultra clean finish, with a moderate crisp from carbonation. Grapefruit, citrus note and a undertone of pine. I love the hop profile combination. No alcohol taste or smell. Pretty straight forward beer that I have come to enjoy time after time. Since discovering this beer I have purchased about 10 6 packs and have consumed all :)

This is a great example of a balanced, hop forward beer. Its clean and super refreshing on this hot hot hot summer day. Highly recommended and its a 10/10 in my IPA eyes! (926 characters)

I first found this beer at the Southington Wine & Spirits store (in the Walmart Plaza on Queen Street, Exit 32, I-84). Now I'm seeing it turn up all over the place (most recently at "The Cork" in Torrington, CT).

I can't help but give this beer "exceptional" reviews across the board. On a night where I might pick out 4 or 5 different kinds of beer to drink throughout the night, LOOSE CANNON is one that I look forward to the most.

If there are other hop heads out there (I'm definitely a hophead-in-training) I would definitely pick this up if you haven't already. It went phenomenal with my pulled pork that had been crocking for 10 hours that day. (654 characters)

Giving Loose Cannon an overall 5 is not an overstatement. Rare, indeed, when an American IPA goes down smooth, just the right combination of hops and spice, yet at 7.25% this is one outstanding, drinkable beer. By far this is my favorite American IPA. Heavy Seas nailed this one.. Cheers! (288 characters)

Love this beer. It is my favorite American IPA. Could be biased since i live about 4 miles from the brewery but the smell of this beer is amazing...grapefruit is what i get right away along with pine. Very plesent smell. The taste is amazing. Very sweet and citrusy that is slightly bitter. Just a great blend that has an amazing finish. Again if you can get this beer in your area, try it! (390 characters)

This is one beer I am not uncomfortable about giving a perfect score. I am a HUGE fan of IPAs that lean toward citrus/grapefruit hoppiness. Loose Cannon fits that profile perfectly. I am one that tries new beers whenever I come across them. One of my local stores started carrying Heavy Seas beer and, on a whim, I bought a sampler 12 pack. Was I ever in for a surprise! I would have to say that Loose Cannon is definetly in my top 5 IPAs category. As a homebrewer, I can only dream about being able to come close to the flavor profile of this beer some day. (558 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

very impressive. a friend brought the Cannon over as an after thought for a steak and potato meal. what a combination. Complimented the meal to the T. Became a great session beer despite ABV. To the nose a flawless American APA. A style that has become too wide ranging, Cannon knocks it out of the park. Have never heard of this beer prior to tonight and I review highly do to my surprise that a HOP HEAD like me had someone else find it out for me. Embarassed as I am, I could not give this a higher recomendation. (516 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +22%

On tap in Richmond, VA. My first review here! Loved this beer every time I have it. Looks and smells gorgeous. Excellent carbonation. Interestingly the hops, the malts and the grapefruit come up front and also stay on the palate too. Mouthfeel is classic bitter and bready. Had four of them last time and I'm not a big drinker, usually! Drinkable. This gotta rank higher than the current 91! Excellent brew, great job and thanks. (429 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +22%

I manage a bar. We brought this in on rotation over three years ago to 'try it out' for a month. We haven't been able to take it off tap for love or money. I attempted one time just so I could bring in another craft from a local brewery....no go. I got PETITIONED by 76 of my regular clientele.
I love the stuff too.
Beautiful weight, color, head, lacing for an IPA. If you want to get technical about the bouquet I say it's pumelo. Amazing with seafood. Good job Heavy Seas! (475 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +22%

This is a great beer. I had it on tap at my local pub, The Royal Peasant in Athens, GA, and I was taken aback. It pours a nice, slightly hop hazed, orange. The aroma is a great mix of floral and citrus. The taste follows the aroma, it has a strong yet amazingly balanced hop character that makes you want to keep taking another sip. Loose Cannon is not the most intensely hoppy IPA out there but it is one of the most flavorful! An overall great choice for an IPA. (464 characters)

Best before date of May, 2006; Sampled December 2005
Pours with a brilliantly clear, copper color that is topped by a frothy light tan colored head. The aroma is just plain sticky with hoppy fat lupulin glands. The aroma is redolent of ruby-red grapefruits that have that mix of sweet citrus notes, tart citric acid, and sharp, floral grapefruit peel oils. The aroma is definitely hop-city, and is quite sublime for any lover of in-your-face American hop-levels. Is there anything else in the aroma? Maybe there is a hint of alcohol at the end, a bit of herbal hop character, and perhaps some accentuating notes of sweet malt, but all of these are quite secondary to the overwhelming grapefruit hoppiness that is found in the aroma.

The taste is soft and creamy up front, with just enough malt/ caramel sweetness to accentuate the citrus-like hop flavor. The finish has a solid, though not overwhelming, hop bitterness to it, which is in perfect balance with the malt sweetness. This beer screams American C-type hop flavors though; everything else is secondary, including the bitterness in the finish. What a fantastic hop character this beer has. It is just so fat and flavorful, it really is like sucking on the nectar from a mythic citrus/hop flower.

I don't know what it is, but this beer seems to have awoken the inner hop-head in me, this beer is just really hitting the spot right now. Everything is working to accentuates all of the hop notes that I like to see in a beer. As my palate gets used to it a resinous pine-like note begins to become noticeable, and the bitterness in the finish begins to take on astringent mouth puckering proportions that just beg for another sip of this hopaliscious brew. I am pretty sure that I never want to have this beer again, because there is no way it will live up to this singular experience of right here, right now. The quirks of beer drinkery, have delivered me the perfect convergence of time, place & beer; definitely one of the top beer experiences of my life. This is definitely one of those things you can't explain, you just have to experience it, the beer itself, objectively does not add up to it, but, regardless it happens. Here is to the journey, and the next beer that satisfies the soul. (2,259 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Living in Baltimore, Heavy Seas is a staple in the craft beer world here and Loose Cannon is the King. Have had on cask, tap and bottle and all are great, but on cask is like a little slice of heaven. This review is based on my recent bottle serving:

A: Pours a golden/amber color with 1 finger head. Great lacing.

S: Hops, hops and then citrus! Grapfruit dominates. Very plesent smell.

T: Amazing balance between citrus notes and pine hops with a smoth finish. Just great balance and easy to drink with 7.25% abv.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: This is one of my favorite American-IPA's and on casks may be my favorite beer to drink.

Serving type: bottle (674 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

I tried this beer in National Harbor, Maryland. Being from San Diego, CA, I wasn't expecting to be wowed.
This beer rivals that of anything I've tasted back home. I enjoy the hoppy stuff like Green Flash West Coast and Alpine Duet. Loose Cannon has all the great attributes explained in the previous reviews.
Mind you, I am trying this brew on tap, and relatively close to it's brewery. Freshness, I believe, is key to a great ipa.
The citrus hop aroma and fruity hop aftertaste will follow me back home to the west coast no doubt! (532 characters)

Oh My.
That was my first reaction when i tasted this beer the bi annual Beer Bourbon and Bar B Que festival in Baltimore. Being new to Maryland I was very curious about this hometown brew. Previously i jealously watched on as my roommates enjoyed their six pack "please" i thought to myself, "let me try just one bottle."
I was buzzed when i finally made my way to the Heavy Seas table at the BBBBQ festival but a good beer is a good beer and as soon as the head hit my nose i knew i'd found a new favourite.
There is not malt taste..i lie maybe in the after taste but the initial taste and the mouthfeel are On point. Hops, some fruit, and drinkablity are perfected in this beer. I'm not a fan of I.P.A.s but this one -- its not to heavy, its not to hoppy-it is what every Good I.P.A. should be.
I am drinking one right now-first time out of the bottle. I will feel sad when it is empty. The taste is.. im speechless. And in all honestly i am a few of the lucky ones because i get to enjoy this beer when it is first brewed i'm not sure how it stands up to shelf life but a beer this good-i don't think shelf life matters. If you see it BUY IT. You won't regret it. (1,168 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

wow, I was very lucky to attend a cask tasting of loose cannon. The rep said the furken keg was filled 8 days ago and they added extra hops just before caping the keg. I've already reviewed this in a bottle. But this tasting took this IPA to a whole new level.
The head had a slightly green tint because of the freshnest.
The seven different hops just overwelmed your senses. The first new flavor I picked up was earthy and fresh cut grass taste.Then a wonderful tropical fruit mixed with fresh pine zing. The acidity was alot more noticable. And the mouthfeel was creamy. A very long finish made you smile until it hurt. THANK YOU Clipper City! (647 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

golden color. very clear. thick, long lasting white head. excellent lacing.

intense smell of hops, both citrus and pine. definitely some dry hopping in this glass. a sweet malty backbone is also apparent.

taste upfront of hops. middle hops. finish hops. citrus, pine, grass. not as bitter as one would suspect, even sweet throughout. finishes bitter, but not intense. the flavor of the hops is stronger than the bitterness, all throughout, but especially in the finish, and the hop flavor lingers.

smooth. medium bodied.

this might be the greatest ipa the world has ever known. (582 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +21%

Well I finally had a religious cask experience! IT seems not a lot of bars in my area offer the firkin and those that do seem to choose poor beer or butcher the process! This IPA is suited for cask conditioning and we had the first glasses from a proper tapping.

This was served a bit cooler than other cask conditioned brews that I've tried, and it definitely had just the right amount of carbonation to make it smooth, without being flat.

Hazy orange with a hint of yellow. Serious white long lasting lacing. Unbelievable citrus notes fill the nose with the full alottment of Lime, grapefruit, orange and lemon. Ahh, this is what "real ale" tastes like! This is flavorful, smooth creamy citrusy hop juice for sure! There is a subtle malt background that helps round out the finish. There is very little bitterness to be found. I guess the only knock on this near perfect beer would be a slightly thin feel. It is definitely a tad bit watery. Drinkability is through the roof! I can't wait to try this from the bottle and seek out other cask beers! Loved it! (1,061 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +21%

This is probably the best IPA I had on the east coast. Most east coast IPAs have a different hop character than west coast IPAs, which in my opinion, is a negative. Loose Cannon was definitely the most west coast style IPA I found back there. The one downside is that it is very strong. You have to watch out if you have more than a couple pints of this stuff. (360 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +20.7%

12oz brown bottle with a label split between white text on purple background above a picture of a pirate and bird, and "For brewery fresh taste, purchase before Dec '10" (notched).

Pours a unique color between gold and amber with a thin, lacy white head that sticks to the glass as it goes down.

Smell is very strong grapefruit and citrus hops, backed up with a moderate malt and some sweet yeast, as well as a hint of spices that may come from additional hops. Extremely and incredibly hoppy, the aroma matches the flavor.

Taste is extraordinarily hoppy - grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops are all prominent, but there is also a light malt and yeast that balance it out quite well - somewhat biscuit-like, very characteristic of Heavy Seas. Each sip through the glass reveals new flavors, as it warms up new flavors take hold - different serving temperatures bring out different flavors in the beer, all worth tasting.

Mouthfeel is consistent with the flavor, very tangy and smooth, low-medium carbonation that matches the flavor just right. Exceptionally drinkable, so flavorful that it quickly became one of my favorite beers.

I have had this from a few different batches so far, from a few different stores and distributors, and it is very fresh and amazing every time. Easily one of my favorite beers. (1,316 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

Decent if unassuming transparent gold in color, with a rich head of foam and more than a finger of lace.
Scent is wonderful -- floral, sweet, delicate. Fresh and intoxicating from the start.
Flavor is a mouthful of malty sweet, followed by a biting hoppy bitterness. Finishes creamy and bitter. Absolutely a refreshing beer, and a top-notch IPA that I will be returning to! (373 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

A= Slightly hazy but mostly clear orange with moderate head,leaving thin lacing that sticks to the glass for a good several moments worth of time.

Nice citrus,hoppy aroma with barley in the background as well.

Upon sip, hops do come through very impressively, with a nice malt backbone that balances it out very well.

Body is maybe a little thinner than expected, but this is an exceptional textbook example of an East Coast American IPA. Very well done, I hope to acquire more soon or whenever. (498 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

I had tasted this beer before on tap @ Taco Mac in Atlanta and was very impressed. I had a friend bring a six pack over when she came last weekend and i am on my third one.
This beer pours Golden Amber and has an excellent fruity hop aroma. To be 7.5 % it has very little alcohol taste. The main thing i was worried about was it being overy bitter since it is a Triple IPA. something like 3lbs of hops per barrel or something. But the bitterness is a perfect balance to the fruity notes on the front end of this brew. Loved it and will continue to drink it when i can. (570 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

I'm definitely a hop lover and I have tried a lot of hoppy micro-brews, but I keep coming back to this one. It's definitely one of my favorites. It's hoppy flavor and aroma is perfectly balanced. Just right and not too overpowering or weak. Clipper City has a winner with this one.

It pours to an average off-white head and has a nice amber-orange color. The lacing is excellent as it leaves rings and spots of an off-white residue around the glass as you slowly sip and savor this nice brew.

Aroma has citrus and floral overtones.

The taste has a lasting hoppy flavor. I will still explore other micro- brews, but this one is definitely a benchmark that I use to measure other hoppy ales and I always have a couple of these on hand because it's just so good. (763 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

I don't mean to come off as over-enthusiastic but this beer is just absolutely phenominal. When I first poured it, the first thing I noticed was not only the beatiful color but also the thick creamy head. We were off to a good start. The aromas were strong and sweet, plenty of citrus and a bit of floral from the hops. Upon first taste, to be honest, I was a little put off by it. It was not what I was expecting from an IPA, definitely more citrus tones than I was used to. With each following sip, however, I began to expect, and then soon enjoy the citrus flavors. To say this beer grew on me would be an understatement. It's been cycled into my regular purchases now. I would definitely recommend picking up a six-pack if you can find it. (743 characters)

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale from Heavy Seas Beer