Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 AleHeavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: Higravity on 09-09-2005

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped.
4.02/5  rDev 0%

This used to be my go-to beer at my local watering hole. I strayed away from it. Then I moved out of Heavy Seas distribution area.

'Traveling' regional breweries in the Midwest and up North made me appreciate this IPA. It's bold citrus and floral aroma and taste is unique. It's 'tropical' theme is unmistakable. Whenever reviewers say they taste 'grape fruit,' etc for other beer reviews, I have always thought, 'how in the heck is that freaking possible?' Well, in this beer, even my indiscriminate palette can detect the fruit.

There is a after taste that I cannot pin point if you stray and come back to this full bodied American IPA. You lose it with the tap. And it would come and go with where I would source bottles so I always attested this to distribution/storage quality and age.

I miss this beer and was tremendously happy to see it on tap when I visited friends in the South.

2.8/5  rDev -30.3%

Appearance-two finger head, golden color, some carbonation.
Smell-Hints of floral and malt. Nice smell.
Taste-Floral hops, wierd finish, mixed in with some malt in there, not impressed with the balance at all.
Mouthfeel-decent.
Overall-I have to say I was not really impressed with this beer. I have been drinking a lot of IPA's lately and this on pales in comparison. The problem for me lye's with the balance, not sure what type of hops are used but it produces heavy floral notes with almost a metallic finish.

3.41/5  rDev -15.2%

Nonic glass. Pale straw honey color. Nice lacing.

Smells of floral, almost sour, hops and crackery pale malts.

Floral/citric hops are stale. Thin flavor profile and somewhat strange hop element. Some artificial tang in the finish, similar to rust/metal.

A little watery. Feels wet enough. Ok.

I used to like this so much more. My taste buds must have changed. I would rate it higher as an English IPA.

EDIT: Revisited recently on-tap at the Diamond Market in Pittsburgh.

Citrus flavors pulled themselves together with only a minor acrid metallic note. Orange and grapefruit and floral hops all play a big role. Looks like the same beer; but the smell, taste, and mouthfeel are all slightly plus this time around. Pretty easy to drink, for the most part.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours that same beautiful golden color as the pale ale but with a touch of haziness. Bigger and stickier white head is present as well. Nose is very floral with a detectable malt sweetness.

Quite an elegant drinker. Like the pale ale the body is well held together but a bit bigger. Some faint malt sweetness up front followed by a very floral and minty finish. Detectable notes of citrus and grapefruit as well. Very nice drinker. Flavors aren't as in your face as other IPA's but like I said, it makes for one extremely elegant sip. On the drier side of things. This beer also exhibits a buttery-ness as well.

To some this beer up in two words, floral and fruity.

I like it a lot.