Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 AleHeavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped.

(Beer added by: Higravity on 09-09-2005)
3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

12oz. bottle -- best by March 2011 -- served into a tulip

Pours a somewhat hazy Golden Poppy color. It reminds me of the yellow used by the Golden State Warriors. About one finger of buttermilk colored head doesn't stick around for very long. Lacing manages to be more than adequate considering the lack of head retention. I can't really fault the beer's appearance; it looks pretty good.

The hop flavors are quite strong, actually (never having had a Heavy Seas beer and a little wary of their cartoony labels and font that reminds me of the underrated PS1 RPG/Dating sim, "Thousand Arms," I was worried that this IPA wouldn't bring the thunder). It's heavy on the stonefruit and non-tropical citrus. Lots of peach & nectarine aromas, with some clementine opening up. Ghosts of ruby red grapefruit grow more tangible with warmth. Some hop resin. The caramel malt is not insubstantial; it's a little maltier smelling than I'd prefer, but I'm not complaining. Good stuff.

Lots of Ocean Spray Ruby Red Grapefruit juice on the palate. Lots. Just a bit of the clementine that the nose hinted at. Surprisingly, the stonefruit all but disappears. It's soapy, which is unfortunate. The caramel malts are gentler than I figured they'd be. Really nice flavor profile, but not varied enough to earn a 4.0 score. I imagine this would have been revolutionary to my palate four years ago.

I greatly prefer my IPAs to be very thin. This is on the thickest side of medium-bodied, sitting heavy in your mouth. Totally an East Coast IPA in terms of mouthfeel. Yet the flavors are not typical at all for the East Coast. Because of the tasty (but limited) flavors, this beer becomes quite drinkable for me in spite of the heavy mouthfeel.

This is an IPA that I enjoy more than the score indicates (though it certainly earned a good score). I might be being too stingy on the taste score. I'd love to have this fresh & on-tap. I'm glad that this beer is available to me in Alabama, and I'm going to try other Heavy Seas beers for sure based on how tasty this one is. If you like ruby red grapefruit then seek this IPA out.

Reaper16, Jan 25, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

Decent if unassuming transparent gold in color, with a rich head of foam and more than a finger of lace.
Scent is wonderful -- floral, sweet, delicate. Fresh and intoxicating from the start.
Flavor is a mouthful of malty sweet, followed by a biting hoppy bitterness. Finishes creamy and bitter. Absolutely a refreshing beer, and a top-notch IPA that I will be returning to!

secondtooth, Jan 24, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Medium dark golden color, clear as a bell, with only light
carbonation noticed; head was thick, off-white in color, and t
rocky

S: Strong; very hoppy; some citrus, peach, can vaguely be detected; very spicy, heavily hopped; piney nose with coriander and some woody elements; after the major hoppiness subsides, perhaps a touch of malt

T: Light hops detected early with a light malt taste and citrus sweetness; silky with a clear hop spice bite; citrus and a zest of
orange and lemon; hints of pineapple are also present

M: crisp and smooth; acidic on the tongue, even with its creamy texture

D: The bitterness overwhelms everything; it's silky smooth, but the aftertaste of bitter hops almost makes me pucker; can't drink more than a one or two

This is definitely a top-notch IPA. Although I couldn't drink many at once, it definitely represents its beer style well. A great brew, overall.

boudreaux, Jan 23, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

On tap in a shaker pint. See-thru light amber with a finger of off-white foam on top. Decent retention and some scattered sticky lacing.

Nose like a tropical fruit salad- tart grapefruit, sweet orange and tangerine, in-between notes of pineapple and mango. It stumbles out of the gate with a brief flash of soapiness, but the ship is soon righted and we're on our fruity voyage again. An impressive amount of tropical fruit to be sure, although oddly there isn't a lot of juiciness to the mouthfeel. The resiny lingering bitterness is more along the lines of what you'd see in a more piney/gritty IPA than a fruity one. Lightly sweet malt aftertaste. Kudos on the distinct lack of caramel.

Overall impression: Noteworthy as being one of the solid east coast IPAs, quite the elusive creature. Pretty tasty stuff.

PDXHops, Jan 21, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

On tap at Kinsale in Boston, and separately, a bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass. Based on numerous samplings, both on tap and poured.

Pours a light yellow/near golden color. At home in light, it actually has a hint of red as well.

Smell is fairly potent, primarily with a generic citrus hop aroma. Some buttery yeast as well.

Taste here is a just superb. The flavor profile matches my likes almost perfectly, which perhaps makes this review slightly biased (aren't all, though?). The hop profile is sweet and citrusy, a touch of grass, but not at all dry. The malt adds some sweetness as well, with a bit of a rye-like bite. The aftertaste is even phenomenal, as the hops are slightly bitter and sticky there.

Mouthfeel is great. The head always seems just about right, and each sip really explodes into smooth flavors.

Drinkability is just great. This may be to sweet and citrusy for many hop heads, and certainly I appreciate the drier and/or more floral hop profiles. But the sweetness and slight spice from the malt matches the hops here just perfectly, creating an amazingly drinkable beer for all occasions.

stonermouse, Jan 15, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +7%

Yellow beer, slight golden tint, nearly transparent. White head, with sticky lace.

Aroma is sweet hops. The hops don't overpower and there's no bitterness in the scent. Grapefruit. Floral (gardenia?). Slight pine.

Taste is big, sweet hops. Delicious. So smooth. The kind of hops that you want to guzzle they're so sweet. Grapefruit and pineapple. Some buttery, light biscuit malt in the back.

Light sticky residue lingers and that sweet hop taste stays with you. Very hop forward but brewed in a way to accent the fruit and floral natures of the hops. Malt is subtle and hops aren't overbitter. Very well done.

birderbeerer, Jan 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -3%

Smooth with deep hop taste. Rich flavor, slight maltiness. Beer sets up nicely in a glass.

Copper color. Nice head that dissipated slowly. Slightly bitter as temperature dropped slightly with deep hop tones which overtook the balanced flavor.

Good beer for a cold night and your favorite comfort food!

iGulp, Jan 13, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

A= Slightly hazy but mostly clear orange with moderate head,leaving thin lacing that sticks to the glass for a good several moments worth of time.

Nice citrus,hoppy aroma with barley in the background as well.

Upon sip, hops do come through very impressively, with a nice malt backbone that balances it out very well.

Body is maybe a little thinner than expected, but this is an exceptional textbook example of an East Coast American IPA. Very well done, I hope to acquire more soon or whenever.

happy4hoppybeer, Jan 12, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Good, bold one finger head crowning a hazy beer with color matching a 9 on the SRM beer color chart. Lace looks like snow drifts and has bunches of cling. Smell is hops, barley, oh did I mention hops. Taste is citrus, pine, lime, grapefruit, malt. Well built and hits you like a brick right out the door. Cream and soda body in my mouth, good amount of pop. I have one more of these, and I will not waste much time before I drink it. Good refreshing beer.

beerprovedwright, Jan 07, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured quickly into a pint glass, this beer has a nice foam that lasts a long time, and good lacing. I would describe the color as a light burnt-orange. Looks very nice, but I like a little darker orange IPA (I don't mean this to be a point against the beer, however). The abundant hops come through in the aroma very nicely, as well as a malty undertone. Mouthfeel is what one would expect from an IPA. Maybe just a shade toward the watery side, but that's what makes this one so easy to drink. It is hoppy, but not ridiculously so. The hops are well balanced by the malt, and the beer has a very pleasant, slightly bitter aftertaste. I had a glass with dinner and it was a very good complement to the food. I didn't know the ABV until after I was done with the glass, and was surprised to see it at 7%+! The alcohol doesn't make its presence known till you're done with it :-) I'll be buying Loose Cannon frequently.

GimmeAGuinness, Jan 06, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz bottle

Vigorour pour brings a fluffy white head which quickly dissipates. Nice golden color with an orange glow. Aromas are intense, piney, earthy, floral notes, hops exploding out of the glass. Yum. Taste is bready, nice malt front accented with piney hop bursts. Flavor intensifies as the complex hop profile takes over your tastebuds. Hold on for the hop ride, its delicious. Nice clean, smooth finish with a tangy hop pucker that sticks with you.

Solid IPA from a solid brewery.

Tripphop, Jan 04, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was nice dark gold with a white head.

Smell was fantastic. Tons of citrusy hops with some grassy notes.

Taste was fantastic. Tons of hops at the start with a very smooth finish (but not switching to sweet).

Mouthfeel was nice. Big at the start but finishes so well you could easliy lose count of how many of these you drink.

Lillenk, Jan 01, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

My in-town trading partner, tone77, came through with some Heavy Seas beers recently and I am finding them very pleasant, especially in the face of so many AmeriCAN Adjunct Lagers in support of The CANQuest (TM). I am anxious to see how this stacks up.

My pour resulted in two fingers' worth of thick, fluffy, eggshell- white head with good retention. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. I have said repeatedly that I am not a fan of filtration, especially when it strips away flavor so it was not a problem for me. The bottle was notched for February 2011, so freshness was not an issue, either. Nose was very grapefruit-citrusy and my mouth immediately began to water. Mouthfeel was medium with a really citrusy hoppy bite on the tongue. To think that I toyed (briefly) with abandoning bottles in support of The CANQuest (TM)! I would have missed something like this and for what? another AmeriCAN Adjunct Lager? This is the kind of beer that I really like drinking - plenty of hops but with a caramel malt sweetness on the finish. It makes me happy to be a beer drinker.

woodychandler, Dec 31, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Tasted blind courtesy of KimR, thanks again!

Pours a light gold color with a pretty nice white head.

Aromas are of citrus hops, a little funky, not sour funky, just kind of resiny hoppy funky. Lots of grapefruit, and slightly sweet tea. Smells odd, but not in a really bad way.

Taste is lemon like up front. Very crisp, faint dryness, light cream, and slightly sweet brewed tea. Finish is hoppy, bright crisp citrus fruits, and a general earthy tartness. This tastes like an East Coast IPA.

Mouthfeel is good, full, yet crisp and clean.

Drinkability is pretty good. Tastes like what I think an East Coast IPA tastes like. Pretty solid example, but far from the best, this could use a few tweaks to be really good in my opinion.

flexabull, Dec 31, 2010

A very good IPA but not great.

A: a mostly clear amber to a golden orange coloringwith a thin, quickly fading head of beige foam. OK lacing.

S: Full citrus. Orange, grapefruit, and tangerine

T: A nice balance of rich malt and crisp hops. Sweet with a ctrus bitterness.

M: Medium to full bodied

D: A decent IPA, crisp and clean.

Giggy, Dec 29, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

A-golden with a light foamy head that dissipates quickly
S-citrus and yeast, reminds me of Raging Bitch for some reason
t-most detectable is the pineapple but other citrus flavours going on, not too bitter and not too much malt
m-light and crisp
d-This one is very refreshing and drinkable, not the best IPA but certainly one worth having as a daily drinker, all in all tasty and better than average for sure

mahargcornsilk, Dec 28, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle into trusty Great Dane Pub & Brewing imperial pint glass; poured cold and warmed as tasted
A - Pours a cloudy pale orange, with a foamy head that quickly drops to a thin layer
S - A bit of citrus/mango, some caramelly sweetness, a bit of bready yeast and perhaps a hint of alcohol
T - Almost a honey sweetness at the front, mixed with a lemony bitterness. Sweetness persists through the mid, but the lemon/grapefruit hops take over at the end and really dry things up, kicking the sweetness out. Get a bit of mango/pineapple in the mid too, but just a bit. Dryness lingers around, way after the sweetness finally dissipates. Get just a hint of alcohol at the end too, but it's mostly undetectable.
M - Very smooth, carbonation is present but more "creamy" than "prickly".
D - Um, yeah. One of the more chuggable IPAs I've had, probably because of the slight tilt to the sweet side of things. That ABV is very well-hidden and could get you in trouble.
Overall a very enjoyable IPA, one I would definitely get again and could see keeping on hand in the summer months.

bosox941827, Dec 28, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

The first thing I noticed was the smell of hops that hits you in the nose as soon as you open the bottle. Poured into the glass it was a very nice golden color, with a small head. Mouthfeel was exceptional, deceptively drinkable. Taste was great, described in my words as a kick in the teeth with hops. Sweet, but with enough good bitterness to balance the brew. If you enjoy a hoppy ale, this one will certainly fit the bill.

I have tried a few of their other brews, and being only a short distance from Baltimore, I am planning a trip to the brewery in the very near future to get a better taste of things.

Mumps, Dec 27, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz from a variety pack; bottle says best by February 2011. Reviewed on Christmas Eve 2010.

Pours golden, pretty light in color. Head sticks around a little bit and leaves minor lacing.

Smells like fruity hops: pineapple, mango, grapefruit and a lot of floral aroma as well.

Tastes like all the above: very little malt noticeable, lots--lots--of fruity hop and floral hop flavors here. Reminds me of Ithaca Flower Power quite a bit. Surprisingly little bitterness; after awhile the floral tastes start to add a bitterness different from the usual IPA type. Not as sweet as I remembered it.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp. There's little in the malt bill to add texture here.

This beer is great if you're into fruity IPAs. I personally prefer the more bitter, pine-y, grapefruit sorts, which this is certainly not. If you like Ithaca Flower Power, try this, or vice versa.

musicforairports, Dec 25, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Clear Golden color, thin head, thin decipating lacing.

S - Banana, pineapple, citrus, hops

T - Banana bread, mango, light hoppiness

M - A little thin and a little too much carbonation.

D - I like this beer, needs a few adjustments but I would like to drink a couple of these in a sitting.

Rickythejeweler, Dec 23, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. The label was notched with a best by date of March 2011.

A- Attractive, slightly hazy amber color, with a finger width white bubbly head. Nice head retention. The lacing is very nice and is still present on my drained glass.

S- My initial impression was of a peppery, citrusy aroma. Later I detected some pine.

T-Herbal, citrusy. Malty on the back end. Not as bitter as I expected, but very enjoyable.

M- Medium body, not watery. Carbonation was nice. I can feel hoppy bitterness lingering on the back of my tongue.

D- Before I knew I had finished this beer. It definitely went down smoothly. A very enjoyable overall experience. This beer doesn't have the crushing hoppy bitterness as I expected. A nicely balanced beer that I could enjoy all evening.

Definitely worth trying.

JohnScav, Dec 20, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Hazy golden orange appearance, upon close inspection there is some yeast sediment present.
S: Aroma is weaker than I expected it after hearing about others (perhaps my bottle is slightly old, though it says it's good for three more months); pine hops are detectable, as is a citrus aroma after warming.
T: Of hops and bitterness, with some orange/pineapple to it.
M: Lively carbonation, slightly bitter/citrus aftertaste.
D: Easy to drink, nothing stopping me from putting it down, but I'm not guzzling it either.

AwYeh, Dec 20, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Pours a golden color, nice frothy white head with great lacing down the glass
S: Smell is citrusy, also some pineapple scent to it as well
T: Slight caramel malt followed by a nice citrusy/grapefuit hop burst.
M: Medium bodied, crisp and just the right amount of carbonation.
D: This is a great beer, nice and hoppy but not to over the top...not too heavy on the malt or the hops, very nice balance. Wish I could get this stuff on a regular basis.

loren01, Dec 17, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon has a light orange colour and a decent 3 mm head that fades to thin lacing. This beer is super fragrant with hops and an almost passionfruit tang. The taste is initially of hops and some fruity passionfruit flavor. The aftertaste is slightly bitter but smooth. This is one of my favourite session beers. Really delicious and super drinkable. Watch out for that alcohol content.

vandemonian, Dec 16, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for sharing this one, Bobby.

A: The pour is a clear golden amber color with a thin white head and some mild lacing.

S: Smells surprisingly good. I get a bunch of tropical fruit such as pineapple, quite a bit of tangerine and grapefruit juice as well. Some mild fish food aromas on the back end.

T: The flavor starts off with the same grapefruit and tangerine flavors, but a bit more toward the peel side of things. A fairly substantial malt character, pretty bready and a bit of biscuit.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Not a terrible IPA, but not really my style. Too much malt and not enough intense hoppy character.

womencantsail, Dec 15, 2010