Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 AleHeavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: Higravity on 09-09-2005

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped.
3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

Our group gave this beer a B.
"Yeah Scallywag! -- I could trade for this beer ."

The beer pours with a nice slightly creamy head (little head like a midget with "midgetitus") with lots of lacing and a dark IPA look.

The smell is typical of an IPA smell and consists of fresh citrus hops with a grapefruity/piney smell.

In the mouth, the beer is very thick and smooth! A fucking awesome PIRATE IPA!

The taste is full of hoppy deliciousness, and I call a mutiny to throw any bitch overboard that doesn't like this beer because it has a very thick smooth taste like an IPA made for women. Some felt the taste was bitter and too bitter for this whitey matey... and bitter like the ex-wife of Tiger Woods.

Finally, drinking wise, the beer is "bitey," lighter than most IPAs, and smooth yet "loose" like my ex's love chamber. The beer is guaranteed to cure scurvy and most pirate transmitted STDs.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours a very nice clean golden amber with a nice frothy white head, really sticky lacing!
S - Smells fruity with some pine notes, smells like a really good IPA.
T - Nice citrus hop rush upfront, nice pine and resin flavor then comes in half way through, with a slight malt finish.
M - light - medium, really clean IPA.
D - Drinkability seems to be high on this one.
This beer is clean and well balanced without being boring. Great hops taste, nice finish, nice balance,....a Nice IPA all the way around!

Bottle dating: Enjoy before May 2011

Loose Cannon is a nice looking beer, golden amber with sunny yellow highlights, and a frothy whitish head that leaves good lacing.

The aroma has bright bitter hops, somewhat orangish tropical fruity with a fresh malt background.

The flavor is nicely balanced between clean pale malts and fresh grassy hops that taste of citrus, more orange than grapefruit and tropical fruits along with a nice pine resin touch. The flavor is bright and lively with a bitterness that builds through the middle all the way through the finish.

The mouthfeel seems to straddle a line between full and light (duh, I suppose that makes it medium right, lol) with enough carbonation to keep things hopping and also to lend a bit of creaminess.

A nicely done IPA that is growing on me the more I drink it. It may not become my favorite IPA but it is certainly better than the run of the mill. I'll bet it's fantastic super fresh and on tap.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

A: hazy golden orange with one finger of head. Head fades fast but lace is good.

S: sweet and hoppy. Grapefruit and lemons are prevalent. Clear hop scents in the nose highlighted by a touch of honey.

T: great clean taste. Sharp but not biting, nice hop balance and floral sweetness.

M: medium bodied. Finishes nicely.

D: really nice beer overall. Very balanced overall.

Love this beer. It is my favorite American IPA. Could be biased since i live about 4 miles from the brewery but the smell of this beer is amazing...grapefruit is what i get right away along with pine. Very plesent smell. The taste is amazing. Very sweet and citrusy that is slightly bitter. Just a great blend that has an amazing finish. Again if you can get this beer in your area, try it!

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Pizza plant was running this on cask, had heard good things so I got a pint

Appearance
Golden hazy yellow with an inch of dense, fluffy living beer foam. some yeast settlement at the bottom of my glass. The beer was served a bit too cold so I let it warm for a few minutes in my hand

Smell
Fruity grapefruit hops with a candy sweetness. A delicious smelling beer, very active nose with all the additionally produced co2 from the second ferm. There is a slight funk from the yeast, I would say that the yeast contributes the most to the intense fruit this beer delivers.

Taste
delicious IPA that is balanced and not too overpowering. I was able to compare this side by side to a stone IPA and was impressed by the additional level of fruit/yeast this beer had over the stone, although the stone was still regular draft. Citrus dominates the flavor profile but doesn't leave a rindy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel
Excellent at warmer temperatures, the bouquet this beer offers is quite unique. I'm certain the cask worked some magic on this beer, but I know you can't turn trash into gold just by conditioning/a second fermentation. I enjoyed the hops a lot, not too overpoweringly bitter for my palate, even from the first sip.

Drinkability
Formidable IPA opponent, especially for it's price. I enjoyed this beer as my first from the brewery and will be seeking out more in the future. Highly drinkable at cool and warm temperatures, no complaints.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic.

This beer pours a very pale, hazy colour that's somewhere between amber and straw. It has a finger and a half worth of head that has pretty good retention and lacing. The smell is primarily sweet citrus hops with a touch of pine and fruits. Just a hint of buttery diacetyls brings this down a bit. The taste is primarily hoppy, (piney, to be exact) as it should be. There's some serious grapefruit and pineapple going on here as well, with just a touch of sweet, biscuity malts. There's not very much of an aftertaste at all though besides a bit of a sweet, buttery persistence.

The mouthfeel is crisp and fairly highly carbonated, and the drinkability is good, no faults there. A pretty solid IPA, but nothing exceptional. I'd like to try a fresher bottle, as this was approaching the freshness notched date.

3.26/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured a slightly hazy copper color from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV and date of bottling on the label.
Little to no head on this IPA. Aroma was surprisingly anything but hoppy. Predominantly malty with hints of fruity esters and caramel coming through.
Taste too was all malts with hints of sweetness in the finish. Absolutely no hop flavors or bitterness whatsoever. Not sure if the bottle is from a bad batch, but this serving was quite flat and lackluster.
Decent lacing along the insides of the glass.
Drinkability was good, but taste-wise this IPA was nowhere near what I was expecting. Maybe a fresher bottle might help change my opinion.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Beer poured from bottle into Mug

A - Beer had a good amount of lacing; two finger head formed that held very well; clear gold body; plenty of carbonation

S - Beer has a floral yeast smell; earthy and pine notes; plenty of hops pack into this aroma laced beer

T - Needs more punch for a hop bomb; citrus and floral flavors accompany the yeast and malt backbone; washes out with a nice finish; some bitterness in retro-olfaction; bitter on the back-end

M - Thin and smooth consistency; effervescent and light with some foaminess

D - Like I mentioned this beer is light in taste for a three hopped beer, but since it's not that overwhelming it makes for a pleasant drink

3.82/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - pours a nice bright copper color with a one finger head that stays around for a while

S - rather weak nose for the triple hopped IPA. Lot of sweet citrus and spicy hops with some nice caramel and a little bit of earth/grainy malt.

T - starts off strong with a really nice lemon and citrus hops flavor. Hidden beneath the hops are some grainy and caramel malts. The caramel malt base is present throughout and adds a nice balance to lemony hops. The finish is lemony hops again this time complemented by a bit of grassy character. Solid IPA!

M - nice smooth mouthfeel

D - this is a really nice IPA. Lighter flavor profile that still has plenty of hops without being a tongue bruiser. I really enjoyed this offering. Thanks to apollokim for sending this beer my way as an extra!

3.16/5  rDev -21.4%

12oz. bottle

I like this beer but as it is billed as a triple hopped beer I expected something a bit different.

A pleasing copper as one would expect from a 3x IPA.

The nose presents none of the qualities expected in terms of citrus aromas. Some citrus but it smells like....an ale.

the taste is more consistent with with expectation. nice hop profile, slight sweetness at the beginning and more profound at the end. the mouthfeel is light and crisp.

at 7 percent abv, the alcohol is very very well hidden. i could definitely drink this all night.

good, but not great. a solid offering from a very good brewery.

4.77/5  rDev +18.7%

First off I am not an expert but I have had many different IPA's and I have to say this beer is by far the best I have had.

It poured a clear bright orange with a small but clingy head. Great lacing all of the way down the glass.

Smelled of grafefruit and pineapple with a citrusy backbone.

The taste was bitter at first with a sweet finish, very ballanced in my opinion.

It had a full body but was incredibly drinkable even though it was 7.25% ABV. I bought a six pack but could only bring myself to drink three because I wanted to save the others for later. This beer should be on everyone's list.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

A - A nice cloudy orange color, about a finger of head at the top that leaves a bit of lacing around the glass.

S - Lots of sweet fruit, pineapple and bananas as well as a hint of peach.

T - The hops on this beer is perfect, lots of pineapple up front,fruity for an ipa, and a bit of bitterness on the tail end.

M - Perfect carbonation, goes down smoothly, refreshing as well

D - I am impressed with clipper city on this IPA, definitely will have another. Great taste and a good IPA!

4.02/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Pours an orange color, small white head but good lacing and retention.

The aroma is strong with hops, very piney but also some grapefruit in there.

The flavor is more grapefruit hoppy up front, sweeter on the end of the sip. Pretty good, I think, slight piney bitterness when you swish it around.

Great mouthfeel, full and creamy, easy to drink for such a strong IPA.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a amber orange body, chunky white head that hold it's own pretty well above the glass.

Malt and hops is all I can really smell here. Can also smell a bit of the alchahol as it warms.

Taste is very hoppy which immidiatly gives it a nice bitter bite. Not overly bitter, can also taste ripe grapefruits and sweet malt and lots of citrus. Very good to say the least.

Mouthfeel is also very good. Nice and creamy, well carbonated and is very drinkable.

Had this beer a year or two back and remember not being too impressed with it. This 6er i'm having now has deffinatly changed my mind. This is a very good ipa. Also goes to show you should never settle on a first impression....unless its sam adams cherry wheat.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a light amber color with tall white head that lasts and laces. Aroma is mostly hoppy with citrus blossom perfume, mild alcohol, light spruce/resin. Light bodied but sticky with a bitter hops smack. Biscuit and lightly grainy malts up front give way to mostly resin and catty hops on the finish. Tastes a little syrupy and watery somehow. Not quite dry or astringent. Decent, quaffable IPA.

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from bottle into a simple pint glass. No bottle date, but consume by 3/2011 is clipped on the label tap.

A: Hazy, orange color. Unfiltered. No head retention, but that might be from age in fridge. White head that fades quickly. Some sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Nice earthy hop nose. Might barn yard smell? I've had this before and didn't get this nose...surprised me. Still got some citrus hops. Mild malts.

T: Good hoppy flavor. Nice bite at the end. Mild pucker, but not overpowering.

M: Mild. Some mouth coating. Nothing major.

D: Having this on tap and in bottle, a very easy drinking brew. I enjoy it dispite the average rating. Nice summer IPA...

Overall, this being a local brew it's easy to find and I will enjoy again and again. Compared to other West Coast IPAs....I doesn't hold a candle.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

I was happy with this beer even though I didnt know what to really expect.
It has a very pleasant nose and the first couple of sips gave me a sense of balanced hops and body.
What I really liked the most was that it was so easy to drink. I could easily sit down on a summer afternoon and down a couple of these and enjoy it.

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

I don't mean to come off as over-enthusiastic but this beer is just absolutely phenominal. When I first poured it, the first thing I noticed was not only the beatiful color but also the thick creamy head. We were off to a good start. The aromas were strong and sweet, plenty of citrus and a bit of floral from the hops. Upon first taste, to be honest, I was a little put off by it. It was not what I was expecting from an IPA, definitely more citrus tones than I was used to. With each following sip, however, I began to expect, and then soon enjoy the citrus flavors. To say this beer grew on me would be an understatement. It's been cycled into my regular purchases now. I would definitely recommend picking up a six-pack if you can find it.

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

Was able to find a (sort of) fresh bottle expires in March 2011

A - Nice clear light copper, typical IPA with a nice half inch of head that sticks around but should form a nice ring of lace.

S - Upon first whiff, wow that some nice dry hop goodness! From the glass nice fruity hops mostly citrus and bitter pine. Smells awesome!

T - Ow man that's good. Being on a hop fest from all the Hop slam may have made this easier to drink but it is very nice and bitter with strong grapefruit and citrus hop goodness with a nice malty backbone rounding the flavor.

M - I found this one to have a light to medium body.

D - It's hard to really give this one a high rating since it's at least a month old but it had plenty of hops and flavor with a non existent ABV bite so overall something I could enjoy multiples in one sitting. Great brew guys!

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

This was a really nice brew I have seen this kicking around finally figured I would try this and review as well.

A - Light copper color nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S - slight pine, grassy nice smell.

T - really nice fresh taste close to a dfh 60 min some malt in the background.

M - Leaves a nice feel in the tounge not biting but nice nonetheless.

D - Nice price, nice Ipa goes down easy could see drinking this regularly.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

A - Pours a deep golden color. Decent foamy white head. Adequate lacing.

S - Smells of fresh cut citrus and pine. Nose is not as bountiful or complex as other top-shelf IPAs but still a joy to sniff.

T & M - Lots of grapefruit, peach, and assorted citrus fruit. Hop bitterness is right where i like it for this style. The maltiness leaks through a bit more than other IPAs which makes the mouthfeel fall into the higher end of the moderate range.

Overall/Drinkability - Back when I first had this IPA, it made me believe in the style. It was a glimpse of hope in a sea of mediocrity. Since my first encounter with Loose Cannon, I've had others that surpass it in complexity and flavor, but it is a top shelf IPA for sure. It's a great go-to. I always seem to have this around on my IPA kicks.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

12oz. bottle -- best by March 2011 -- served into a tulip

Pours a somewhat hazy Golden Poppy color. It reminds me of the yellow used by the Golden State Warriors. About one finger of buttermilk colored head doesn't stick around for very long. Lacing manages to be more than adequate considering the lack of head retention. I can't really fault the beer's appearance; it looks pretty good.

The hop flavors are quite strong, actually (never having had a Heavy Seas beer and a little wary of their cartoony labels and font that reminds me of the underrated PS1 RPG/Dating sim, "Thousand Arms," I was worried that this IPA wouldn't bring the thunder). It's heavy on the stonefruit and non-tropical citrus. Lots of peach & nectarine aromas, with some clementine opening up. Ghosts of ruby red grapefruit grow more tangible with warmth. Some hop resin. The caramel malt is not insubstantial; it's a little maltier smelling than I'd prefer, but I'm not complaining. Good stuff.

Lots of Ocean Spray Ruby Red Grapefruit juice on the palate. Lots. Just a bit of the clementine that the nose hinted at. Surprisingly, the stonefruit all but disappears. It's soapy, which is unfortunate. The caramel malts are gentler than I figured they'd be. Really nice flavor profile, but not varied enough to earn a 4.0 score. I imagine this would have been revolutionary to my palate four years ago.

I greatly prefer my IPAs to be very thin. This is on the thickest side of medium-bodied, sitting heavy in your mouth. Totally an East Coast IPA in terms of mouthfeel. Yet the flavors are not typical at all for the East Coast. Because of the tasty (but limited) flavors, this beer becomes quite drinkable for me in spite of the heavy mouthfeel.

This is an IPA that I enjoy more than the score indicates (though it certainly earned a good score). I might be being too stingy on the taste score. I'd love to have this fresh & on-tap. I'm glad that this beer is available to me in Alabama, and I'm going to try other Heavy Seas beers for sure based on how tasty this one is. If you like ruby red grapefruit then seek this IPA out.

4.84/5  rDev +20.4%

Decent if unassuming transparent gold in color, with a rich head of foam and more than a finger of lace.
Scent is wonderful -- floral, sweet, delicate. Fresh and intoxicating from the start.
Flavor is a mouthful of malty sweet, followed by a biting hoppy bitterness. Finishes creamy and bitter. Absolutely a refreshing beer, and a top-notch IPA that I will be returning to!

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Medium dark golden color, clear as a bell, with only light
carbonation noticed; head was thick, off-white in color, and t
rocky

S: Strong; very hoppy; some citrus, peach, can vaguely be detected; very spicy, heavily hopped; piney nose with coriander and some woody elements; after the major hoppiness subsides, perhaps a touch of malt

T: Light hops detected early with a light malt taste and citrus sweetness; silky with a clear hop spice bite; citrus and a zest of
orange and lemon; hints of pineapple are also present

M: crisp and smooth; acidic on the tongue, even with its creamy texture

D: The bitterness overwhelms everything; it's silky smooth, but the aftertaste of bitter hops almost makes me pucker; can't drink more than a one or two

This is definitely a top-notch IPA. Although I couldn't drink many at once, it definitely represents its beer style well. A great brew, overall.

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale from Heavy Seas Beer