Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 AleHeavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: Higravity on 09-09-2005

Burnished gold with a rich citrus hop aroma, it is wonderfully drinkable with a big hop flavor. We’ve knicknamed it Hop3 (hop cubed) ale to reflect the enormous amount of hops in this beer: over 3 pounds per barrel! It is hopped 3 ways: in the kettle, in the hop back, and dry hopped.
4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Another very good find at the wonderful Neil St. Piccadilly, Loose Cannon pitches a thick finger and a half of off-white froth on an orange body with lemon highlights, Thin rings of lacing adorn the trusty Yankees pint glass.

The nose is key for Loose Cannon--a melange of hops and a strong fruit component, with orange, pineapple, and tangerine present. Right from the opening pop of the cap, the nose on Loose Cannon was arresting. The taste is a slight step down from the nose, primarily because the hop smell does not carry through into the taste. To be clear, this is a delicious IPA, but the hops are more for scent than for taste, unfortunately, in Loose Cannon. The IPA Cannon is, alas, more restrained.

Nonetheless, this is a very good IPA, balanced, hopped, delicious, and fruitful. I'm quite impressed. Clipper City has done very well with Loose Cannon, and hop lovers will serve themselves well with a sixer. Very good.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Pours a golden yellow color with a nice head. The head dies down rather quickly but manages to leave behind a bit of lacing.

S: Tons of citrus hops come rushing from the glass. Very hop forward, it's all about the hops.

T: Tons of grapefruit comes biting at the tongue right from the start. A nice level of bitterness with a dry finish and a touch of malt sweetness. I like it. I had it on draft before where it was a bit better. But either way they have a winner here.

M: Perfect carbonation and oh so refreshing.

D: Very... This one is begging to be drank on a hot Florida summer day.

Overall: I prefer draft a bit, but you can't go wrong with this one on draft or in the bottle. It is pure citrus hop goodness. I realy like it. These Clipper City, Heavy Seas, Loose Cannon brews are really growing on me.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Ahhh... I love a good West Coast Style IPA... particularly when it comes from the East Coast!

Pours a beautiful rich gold, maybe a slight tint of orange. Fluffy, mottled head with tenacious lacing (my glass is nearly completely coated).

Aroma is big time orange/tangerine, with some musty onion (god damn you summit hops), lemon, and flower and herbal notes.

Taste is a juicy burst of hop bomb delight. Malts take a trip to the background, providing only some sweet and bready backbone... but it's all pale malt, and it never asserts itself. Amarillo and Summit hops are at the forefront, not sure what else is in there but it's a pretty standard western set. Super dry, clean, crisp. Medium bodied (must have some sugar here to dry it out and keep it thin).

For everyone going apeshit that Ballast Point, noted IPA producer, just came out with a new IPA... here's one for y'all on the east coast that's easily as tasty, if not better.

Prost

4.59/5  rDev +14.2%

Aroma: Big-time tangerine! Holy hop aroma! Citrus fruit all over the place. Some orange slice sugary sweetness. A Northwest American aromatic party.

Appearance: Hazy pale golden pour with a sticky white head.

Flavor: More citrus. Lemon peel, grapefruit pith, and resiny. Some background sweetness to balance the full-on hop assault. Finish is bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, medium carbonation, and slightly creamy.

Overall impression: A highly hopped ale with a nicely balanced malt base. I could drink multiple pints of this. It has an amazing blend of hop presence and high drinkability. Strongly recommended.

4.66/5  rDev +15.9%

I've had Loose Cannon several times, both in bottles and on tap. It is a consistently good American-style IPA that delivers high marks in terms of interpretation and in taste.

Bottle being reviewed has a consume by date, with notches for June 2008.

Appearance is a nice copper-color, with a pocky head that laces nicely. Carbonation is appropriate and lends to a crisp mouthfeel. Solid show on that front.

What is totally exceptional about Loose Cannon is its wonderful smell. Big, piney-floral hop heaven. I'm half-tempted to dab this at my pulse points and become a marketing ploy for Clipper City. I can't emphasize how good this smells and how it sets up one's palette to enjoy the other components of this ale.

The overall taste is a nice sweet, toasty malt backbone paired with huge citrusy, earthy, "alpine" hops. I say alpine because it seems to cross a huge piney note with a floral note; a wonderful mix of tree and flower notes; a compliment to the Pacific NW hop scene. Medium to medium-heavy body with a smooth, dry finish.

In my mind, this is perfect for someone who enjoys hops, but isn't necessarily a hop head. Balanced and approachable. If you can find it on tap, the experience is even better in terms of smell and mouthfeel. I can, however, recommend that if you purchase in bottles, you will not be disappointed.

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Pours a very clear and nice looking golden to amber color. Head is foamy and a massive three fingers deep. Retention and lacing were excellent.

Smell: Nice mix of citrus sweetness and hops come through initially. Hops are more floral in character which is interesting. I was expecting a lot of pine. Caramel malts add to the sweet aroma. Yeasty or biscuity smell wraps it up.

Taste: Citrus flavors (mostly grapefruit and definitely orange) are sweet and slightly bitter. Hops provide more bitterness, but not quite piney. Caramel malts are sweet and add balance. It has a bitter finish that blends with a bit of a strong yeasty taste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light to medium bodied. Nice, crisp feel to it. Carbonation is good. I find it pretty drinkable. This is a solid IPA. There's better out there, but there's much worse too.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. into BMS mug...

Very nice foamy/soapy cream-colored head. Good honey/apple juice-colored body-slightly cloudy and well-carbonated.

There's big-time floral hoppiness here with an apple scent. A little soapy with some earthy slate tones.

Oily malt, apples (again?) and alcohol are present; they're not meshing together in beautiful chemistry but it's not unbalanced, either. Slight tangy citrus somewhere - reminds me of acidic notes in sour cherries.

This is clean and viscous with a nice finish; a little unbalanced here.

This is definitely drinkable with a heavy alcohol hit that precludes it from being sessionable.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Clear, light-amber with almost a slight orange tint to it. Nice looking beer with a medium, quickly subsiding head. Nice lacing to the finish.

S: I love the smell of this one. Citrusy, orange, grapefruit, extremely clean!!! Feels like I just cleaned out my sinuses. Floral scent within also reminded me that spring is coming soon to Rhode Island. Great fresh hoppiness in this one too!

T: Refreshing as well. Nice sweet maltiness up front with one heckuva sharp, dry kick in the pants. All I can say is crisp, sweet, and refreshing with the aroma to back it up. Very nice.

M: Very good. I enjoyed it but it was just a bit thick. I've got to remember however, this is a big beer and you've got to expect that. Good nevertheless.

D: I had only one of these but would have liked to spend a few more hours at the party to ensure I had myself a good beer here. I'm going to hunt this one down and keep them for myself. Outstanding.

3.56/5  rDev -11.4%

Served at cellar temp into a standard pint.

Aroma was a shocker, all malt. Expected something called Hop Cubed to have some hops in it.

Pour was nice, crystal clear and golden. Despite aggressiveness, couldn't get much head out of it, only 1/4 inch, but left thin yet persistent lacing.

Second sniff is more maltiness--actually, more honey aroma to be exact. Frankly, Yet Another Light Caramel Bomb. The all too common IPA recipe.

Flavor is weak on hops, too. Though to be fair, I'm drinking it side by side with my own homebrew, an Evil Dead Red derivative (that is--bittering addition was at 20 mins--half a pound of Simcoe hops in 5 gallons).

Mouthfeel is exactly as heavy as expected, with good bittering, just needs more hop flavor and more hop aroma.

Drinkability is good. Reminds me of Mojo and a thousand others. Call it Hop to the First Power, not Hop to the Third.

My new rule for American IPA: must taste like it has half a pound of hops per 5 gallons, or else the word hops is banned from the label.

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from Cask into a Snifter from Dilly Deli:

A - Pours a honey/amber with slight orange highlights. Nothing much to write home about on the foam, but what's there leaves a bit of stringy lace on the glass.

S - A huge blast of citrusy hops! A blend of grapefruit with a touch of what seems to be pineapple; followed by the mellowing dark malt sweetness. Oh Wow...instant salivation! Hello, Dr. Pavlov!

T - Taste is spot on to the nose; big juicy hops with probably the best blend of malt that I've come across. Finish is still the hops, but the malt cleans it up a bit and really removes the initial bitterness. Nicely Done!

M - Creamy smooth and extremely light in carbonation (due to the cask?). Slightly thick in viscosity, with just the slightest of oily resins on the tip of the tongue.

D - So good I had to have a second one the spot before looking for the six-packs on the shelf. Alcohol is present, but sensed as a spicing quality from the warmness.

Wow...So good I picked up two six-packs. Hopefully the flavors are comparable in the bottles as they are from the cask. I'm extremely impressed with this one. File this one right behind Bell's HopSlam for me.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

had on tap at the publick house in old town

A: pours deep bronze color with nice pillowy off white head. Head sticks around for a good while and when it finally decides to recede, leaves a fair amount of lacing.

S: Smell is strong of oranges and sticky hops. The more it warms the more the aroma opens up. More sour fruit smells and sweet malt aromas appear.

T/M: Taste reminded me of orange preserves piled atop of my grandmothers home made biscuits with a slive of butter but then finishes with a nice bitter hop and caramel. Perfect carbonation and great mouthfeel.

D: This was all I drank at the bar all night. One after another. Great, easy drinking wonderfully tasty, highly reccomended brew.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

The beer poured a copper color with moderate clarity, a finger and a half of white head that subsided fairly quickly with a bit of lacing. The smell was very hoppy with a very subtle hint of sweet malt. It tasted of hops with a mildly sweet backbone as it went down. No hint of alcohol in the taste. Decent mouthfeel, kinda left my mouth a bit dry afterwards. All in all, as a hophead, this is definitely one I will go back to.

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

A - A big tan three finger head rises above a clear bronze brew. The head is really creamy and whipped looking ....like meringue topping. Retention is good, and ridiculous amounts of lace are left on the glass. In fact, this has some of the stickiest lace that I've seen in awhile.

S - Musty, dank, herbal, dirty hops. Mandarin oranges, orange peel, and some grapefruit along with freshly chopped pineapple and mango skin. This is an outstanding nose! Complex, fruity, dank, and earthy. I'm very, very impressed.

T - Hard tack biscuit malts have an almost smoky component and support the gritty, earthy, and herbal hops. The flavor lacks some of the fruitiness of the nose in favor of a focus on spicy, herbal, marijuana like hop flavors. There is a pleasant mineral water note behind the crazy hop flavors, and there is some sweetness to the malt component too.

M - Medium bodied with some gentle but somehow abrasive carbonation and a dry and dirty finish. The lingering hop flavors provide a beautiful afterglow finish.

D - One of the most outstanding IPAs on the planet. There is not a single flaw to be found with this one. Really just an outstanding beer.

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a clear golden yellow with a pinky's width of creamy/foamy off-white head, ok retention, and spotty lacing. Smells like a hop bomb, lots of citrus, pine, and fresh grass clippings along with some caramel sweetness. Tastes strongly of grapefruit and orange peel mixed with cut grass and a solid caramel malty backbone, finishes with a little bit of pine. Medium in body with good carbonation, and semi-sticky, but a bit watery and not much of a hop finish. One of my favorites from Clipper City, very reminiscent of Nugget Nectar, though just a tad bit weaker.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

First review so I had to pick this one. Served from the bottle, at first slightly thin pour. Kind of thickens as it sets and warms. Which I prefer to drink warmer but by no means hot. Medium head with a cream color that fades about mid way through the beer. Stronger grapefruit smell than other citrus. Mouth feel is medium and smooth. Taste is awesome. At first sip gives a kind of good tingle. First gulp almost a honey taste. After taste is fair but leaving me with wanting more. :) Could drink this year round but prefer cooler weather.

3.97/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours your typical golden amber in color. No head, but there is plenty of sticky lacing on the side of the glass.
Smell is all hops. Beautiful, juicy, sticky hops. Taste is wonderfully balanced hops. Complete with bitterness and flavor. This is just a good, easy drinking, sessionable IPA. Good beer, easily the best Clipper City beer I've had yet.

3.64/5  rDev -9.5%

This IPA from Clipper City pours a honey-wheat orange hue with a slightly off white, foamy head that displays reasonable retention and some minor, spotty lace. Rather pale in color, kind of curious.

Bright and bitter with tons of hops. Orange, lemon, grapefruit pith, and sticky pine jump out initially then fade to a subtle honey and vanilla sweetness. Not a lot of caramel malt character actually; moderate I suppose. Very nice overall with plenty of hops and tons of character.

I little more mellow in the bitterness department than I expected. Plenty of citrus and a hint of pine but a bit more of a malt character. Actually a bit dead on the tongue. Not bland, but just kind of lacking. Don't get me wrong, this is certainly a pleasing and flavorful brew but I guess the nose wrote a check the flavor couldn't quite cash. Sweeter with buttery grain in the finish and a slight mineral note.

Fresh and bright with slightly lower carbonation. Semidry in the finish with a bit of lingering bitterness. Moderate bodied throughout. A solid selection, but I feel like this brew came up a bit short of its potential.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

For me, some beers are like an old friend. Whenever I go to the bar and they don't have anything I've GOT to try, Loose Cannon is my beer of choice. This is what I go to in times of strife or sorrow, or frankly, any other time I find myself in need of lubrication from a fine beer. Loose Cannon is a big flavorful beer with loads of citrusy and piney hops with a nice malty body that is an easy drinker on almost every occasion.
This is definitely not the best beer I've ever had, but it sure is a good one. Certainly it has flaws, but like a friend, I can look past its flaws and remember what it was that I liked about it to begin with. If you see Loose Cannon on tap, ask the bartender to pour you a draft and sit back and really taste it. Who knows, maybe you'll walk away with a new friend.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Been looking forward to this one. My brother told me it is an awesome beer.

Nice, white frothy head that looks alive enough to move on its own. Pale orange color that isn't quite clear nor hazy. Ample effervescence feeding and sustaining the head. Clingy lace to the last drop. No surprise there. Fresh looking beer.

The fresh, citrusy-pine hops with some herbal essence is tempered with a bit of raw, grainy sweetness. It bursts into the olfactory, and I actually begin to salivate. I need a drink of it!

Aaahrrr! Truth in advertising to confirm the smell. Every bit as fresh-tasting (despite being close to it's "buy before" date), and the citrus gets down to bidness as grapefruit establishes its dominance. There is definitely enough graininess and malt to stand up and balance this hop monster. The alcohol heat becomes apparent after a couple of swallows, and well before the beer is 1/3 down. The taste, like a siren (sea lore reference) keeps me coming back for more. I'd better type faster before its gone. This taste is close to a perfect IPA going down. In the aftertaste there is a bitter stickiness that may be attributed to its date, but lawd it's still yummy and remember, it is a strong IPA. I'd swear I got into a 9.5% abv batch. Esscuse me i-if I ssslurr...

Just how I like my IPAs: Lure us with the illusion of a crisp, light beer, then smack us in the chops with some serious substance. This is a nice cold weather ale that could be enjoyed year round. I think it would go great with fettuccine alfredo, beef stew, or a roasted turkey with the fixin's.

Hell, I could drink this with anything. Even a landlubbin scalawag like me brudda!

3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

clear copper with a white creamy head and lasting lacing. looks promising. no sediment noted. husky, grainy notes hit first in the nose followed by pine, toffee, and a bit of citrus. medium sweet malts followed by a prominent and lingering hop bitterness. well-carbonated, medium-bodied. this suffers a bit as i expect more from a 7.25% beer...just seems a bit rough around the edges and flavors not as well-integrated as i expected.

4.58/5  rDev +13.9%

Short Version:

Details:
Aaaaah! This was a VERY nice surprise. Wow! Clipper City knocked this IPA out of the park. Fantastic brew. Super fresh and delicious.

12 oz bottle with intriguing purple label depicting a peg-legged pirate on a ship deck.

They call it the Hop^3 Ale and for good reason. But it was done in a surprisingly smooth and non-offensive manner.

This thing poured like a dream. I had to pull up early and then nurse the rest of the bottle in slowly. The head was thick, offwhite/tan and ultra foamy and sudsy like beach foam. Color was tawny and cloudy with this mystical effervescense I've never seen.
The bubbles were so small it was hard to distinguish them from the ample micro-sediment floating around. Much like the Hubble Telecsope 'birth of a star' pictures. Slow motion churning cosmic soup. At times the upward surge of tiny effervescense effortlessly maneuvered in head-on traffic past the hoards of tiny sinking yeast particles. Reminded me of Discovery Channel footage where millions of ants are moving in a line simultaneously and effortlessly in both directions.

On the nose is an overwhelming eruption of hops and flowers. So decidedly grapefruitish it was unbelievable. I could've been standing in a grapefruit grove in the spring. Remarkably yeasty and fresh tasting. Unparalleled. Even better than the Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner and I didn't think that was possible. This could've come from a fresh keg. Was nothing like you expect from a bottle.

The lace was as tenacious as it was random. No lacey rings gracing the circumference of this pint. As the level plummeted the sides of the pint looked like a vanilla icing fight in a silo. Scattered and mis-shapen globs of foamy whiteness abound. An endless 1/4" head, stalwart until the end, was finally ripped unwillingly from its nest during the final swallow.

The body of this brew was medium and smooth. Hoppy but nowhere near bitter. The Clipper City website calls out Magnum, Centennial, Chinook, Amarillo and Palisade hops. What a combo.

And somehow they bury that 7.25%ABV under all the flavor. Similar again to the Sam Adams Hallertau. Not a whiff of alcohol to be had. Remarkable.

Taste is of massive sweet grapefruit. The dominating flavor, smell, everything of this beer is fresh grapefruit. But not fake in any way and not like a "flavored beer". Just a big yummy hop taste that I personally identify with grapefruit. It's slightly malty but in a subtle way that's not syrupy, earthy or roasty and adds some balance and backbone. It finishes wicked smooth and pseudo creamy. Nice balance. Pleasant aftertaste.

Only dings this beer got from me (as opposed to 5.0's across the board) was that it was just a tad sweet and a tad overboard on the grapefruit ester. Maybe a smidgeon more astringent bitterness would've made this a perfect 5.0.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

"Em-kay class, today we're gonna talk about IPAs..."

Appearance: Bold gold; nice sustaining white head
Smell: hops, baby! Reminiscent of Liberty Ale aroma: West Coast hops ad infinitum. That AND a wonderful sweet aroma of well-used and cooked malt.
Taste: Simply true. Yes, this is an American IPA to be proud off as it has the characteristics you'd expect: Floral hop bitterness, fruity, citrus foretaste, excellent caramel and almond-y sweet finish.
Mouthfeel: What balance! A classic American IPA: hops up front, malt in the back, balanced throughout. Nothing lacking here.
Drinkability: Money well spent. I picked this brew up as a part of a "mix-n-match" session while on a quick trip to Indiana last October. I'm happy to report that this beer is in excellent condition, and has been resting comfortably in my cellar for the past four months. I only wish I'd bought a sixer!

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a heavyish light orange. Magnificient head, but the haze is uneven and a bit off putting.

Smells very nicely balanced. The hopes aren't plentiful but they are strong, green and stingy. Big fruit and pine. Breadmalt backbone.

Tasets nice, sharp and well balanced, much like the odor only the hops aren't as wonderfully fresh.

Yet another high powered Heavy Sails brew that I mistook for a session ale!

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Was extremely disapointed with the last offering I tried from this brewery- hopefully this one is better.

A- Single finger thick, foamy white head set atop and orange-amber body. Head retention was excellent- it receeded slowly, leaving bits of sticky lacing at the top of the body.

S- A strong tingle of citrus and some floral notes in the nose- orange, grapefruit and perhaps a tiny bit of lemon. Hops are definitely present.

T- First sip is mostly a strong taste of grapefruit and extremely bitter hops- a very good thing. A second sip reveals similar notes with a bit more diverse floral and citrus taste in the background. In proving itself an excellent example for its style, this brew succeeded in every way that Peg Leg failed.

M- Dry, crisp and refreshing with very good carbonation. The pleasant tingle from the bitterness is exactly what I expect from an American session IPA.

D- A good session beer. Extremely drinkable, the somewhat high ABV is well hidden beneath layers of delicious bitter hops and citrus. This beer definitely restored my faith in the Clipper City Brewery.

4.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very impressive appearance with this beer. lots of clingy foam floating on top of a somewhat hazy goldish colored IPA.

Smells is remeniscent of English Ipa's and Bitters...very malty, bready, yeasty type smell. Not alot of floral hop aroma that you would get from alot of other American Ipa's.

They boast about how many hops they use in this beer, but it's definitely not as hoppy as some other American Ipa's. Hops are definitely there though, and balance out the malts rather nicely. It almost tastes like the use a bit of honey in the brewing process here....reminiscent of Hopslam.

Morey's Bottom Line: A solid Ipa for sure. Refreshingly different and unique as far as American Ipa's go.

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon - American Hop3 Ale from Heavy Seas Beer