Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Über Abbey Ale) - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Ãœber Abbey Ale)Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Ãœber Abbey Ale)

good

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Jaynuze on 03-12-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Über Abbey Ale) Alström Bros

MyTBeerDrinker, Dec 29, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -59.1%

sendbeer, Nov 03, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

Disageeable taste and mouthfeel, hard to finish a small glass of it.

madscientist451, Sep 03, 2014
1.95/5  rDev -46.9%

S: Heavy dark fruits, figs mostly, some rich caramel, spicy alcohol.

L: Cloudy reddish brown, light tan head that dissipates.

T: Dark fruits with some citrus followed by a medium high bitter, slightly lemony component. Mild rich breadiness melds. Quite acrid in the finish, drying slightly with some spiciness. An off compound i can't nail down, almost bleach like.

M: Hot, alcoholic, medium bodied, medium carbonation.

A really terrible beer, aroma was good. But there is a an acrid, bitter component that is very unappealing. Couldn't finish this one and ended up drain pouring it.

bum732, May 20, 2011

Pd1976, Jul 20, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

I poured this terrible brew into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a decently nice mahogany color that looked pretty good. But then the smell hit me and that was like soured beer smells the day after it has been in the trash can. The taste was equally sour with a sweetness I just could not stomach. Alcohol taste was way overpowering and too much also. Not buy again.

Minkybut, Sep 21, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -39.2%

Sampled on 3-25-09

Pours cloudy red/brown color, with a filmy white head that leaves behind pretty good lacing. A few bubbles constantly rise to the top.

Smell is very fruity, but with a subtle hop balance. No real Belgian in the aroma.

Taste is very light, with boozy kick. Not bad, just nothing there, except alcohol, which soon becomes obtrusive.

Mouthfeel is very thin, nothing like the style.

Drinkability is terrible, it's like washing down a shot of vodka with a Killian's.

Overall, avoid.

BMoney575, Mar 25, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -39.2%

Pours a transparent deep plum color into my Piraat balloon glass. Zero head despite the high-altitude pour directly down the center. Aroma is very clean and lacks any Belgian yeast character whatsoever. Dark toasty malt; very biscuity with just a little fruit. Smells quite similar to a doppelbock.

This is a Belgian style? A thin malty sweetness that turns tart and quickly fades away. Alcohol is very forward and feels like more than 9%. Not a hint of Belgian-style phenols anywhere on the palate either. Mouthfeel is thin and boring with medium-high carbonation.

Holy Sheet is a very disappointing offering from Clipper City, a solid brewery that I feel has some excellent beers in the form of Loose Cannon and The Great Pumpkin. I finished the bottle, but I won't be having this again.

dpasotti, Feb 23, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured into a pint glass

A- Poured a dark amber color with minimal head and lacing

S- Smelled very sweet with fruit and maybe figs, this was a bad sign for me

T- Very sweet to me, I just wasn't into it, it had sweetness with a nasty aftertaste

M- Mouthfeel was okay but the beer simply confused my palate

D- I could barely stomach one of these let alone a couple

CAP1868, Oct 29, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -36.5%

This beer is basically missing all the yeasty goodness. No clove, date, banana, anything like that. Smells like a cherry cough syrup and doesn't taste much better. There's a cheap, alcoholic aftertaste with a hint of chalk, the main flavor best described as medicinal. Call it extreme beer gone bad. Avoid.

tempest, Apr 01, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -35.1%

Attractive enough on the pour, with a clear, dark cherrywood color and a small amount of quickly-fleeting head. The smell is in-your-face strong and sweet but nonetheless nuanced a bit by dark fruit, brown sugar, and alcohol. In the taste, though, the strong vs. nuanced battle is tipped decidedly toward the strong. Very sweet and alcoholic in the way that cough syrup is. I think there was some spice trying to work its way in, but I couldn't drink more than a couple swallows of this. I like hefty Belgian ales, but this one doesn't work for me. Mouthfeel is full and chewy, but I don't want this taste to linger. Rare is the time I pour any beer down the drain, but I quickly fled this one in favor of a better example of the style.

BitteBier, Jun 19, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

A- A deep orange with some ruby hues. The carbonation is slow ot rise and the white head has decent retention.

S- Sugar, earth, raisins, and cinnamon. Light and somewhat metallic. Smells pretty similar to other Heavy Seas beers.

T- Same as the aroma with a strong alcohol edge.

M- Metallic, thin, and harsh. The alcohol is very apparent.

D- Boozy and not all that appealing. The sweetness helps a bit. Not good, but stuff like this has come to be expected from this brewery.

david131, Apr 15, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy caramel color with a buoyant head that one would expect from a Belgian style; leaves plenty of lace

Smell: Spice cake and cherry cough syrup

Taste: Starts out with a medicinal, almost cherry cough syrup flavor that is fortunately not overly sweet; after the swallow, some mellowing prune flavors arrive to cut into the first impression but the overall effect is very strange

Mouthfeel: Medium body with heavy carbonation; plenty of warmth on the finish

Drinkability: Why they released this beer I will never know as it is a poor facsimile of a BSDA and a mediocre home brewer could have done better; just a mess from a brewer that makes some great beers

brentk56, Oct 05, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -34.1%

A: Pours an amber color, when I opened it I could immediately smell it, very little head which dissipated very quickly

S: Fruity, with a berry like taste, very sweet smelling

T: Well, this is my first abbey ale. I haven't found too many beers I don't like. But this is one that I can't stand. Anyway, tastes of cherries, rasperry, maybe lingonberry- cough syrup. It seriously made me feel sick. I think I'll stop here. This is the first beer I've had that I had to pour out. Could have been my tastes at the time, but I really didn't feel good after it.

fightingirishcmk, Apr 14, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -33.2%

A - This beer pours a somewhat translucent cola-brown hue; it is capped with a thin tan head that exists briefly and then recedes to a collar.

S - The nose is a mix of spicy notes from yeast, nutty impressions and dark fruitiness, especially dates.

T - There is a strong metallic taste in this beer that I do not like whatsoever. The off-flavor is disconcerting to the point that while I can detect some of the same nice elements I found in the nose, I cannot suffer this offense for more than a few mouthfuls.

M - It's not the feel's fault.

O - The beer is mostly a moderate-to-middling offering, except for the terrible taste. Why bother?

ktrillionaire, Apr 16, 2011

ygtbsm94, Aug 12, 2013

chrispoint, Feb 19, 2012

OriolesFan1008, Jun 04, 2012

Fettpopps, May 31, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -29.7%

Deep garnet color, clear with no head or lacing after the initial pour. Pretty color, though.

The fruity esters from the yeast are definitely there with a good bit of dark fruit aroma as well. However, the overwhelming smell is hot, nail-polish remover alcohol. It's not hidden well at all.

Still a lot of alcohol in the taste, but the essential flavors for the style are there as well.

A bit high on carbonation, neither very drying or very sticky.

Not the best example of the style. The alcohol is running rampant in both the nose and the flavor.

bboven, Mar 20, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

This is a pretty beer in terms of the color of the liquid but there is no head to speak of off my semi-gentle pour.

Is there something fruity in my nostrils? Either I inhaled a sweet tart or this beer has some candy sugar in it. This beer is a bit more alcoholy than I would have liked. Perhaps a year away from light on the lower level of a ship would do this beer good. Of course, if they were "heavy seas" they would shake this sh** out of this beer until it was worthless anyway. I taste fruit, something dark and sweet but not quite as dark as a plum or anything.

I would drink this again but probably only if it was given or was really cheap at the store. Still, not bad all the same. Maybe next year they will tweak it a bit. There is nothing in there to make me cry Holy Sheet!

Big78CJ, May 30, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Well that was a disappointing first experience... after listening to a podcast w/ the head brewer here on TBN I was excited to see that Clipper City beers were available on my trip to Boston, so I picked some up.

First of all, this is a dubbel, not a belgian strong dark (hopefully this is corrected as you're reading this, and you're just wondering why I'm even pointing this out).

Now, it pours a nice rich ruby/mahogany that's clear, and has decent, but nothing special, head.

Smell is hugely sweet with tons of caramel malt, and some hot, fusel alcohols. Belgian fruitiness and floral notes are present but barely there. It reminds me almost of the aroma of Avery's Kaiser, which was an out of control caramel malt bomb.

Taste is the same, but not quite as oppressively rich and sweet as expected. Despite a big mid-palate burst of juicy, rich, mouth-filling sweetness, it finishes dry enough. Some banana and raisin and bready malt come through, it tastes just like dubbel that is out of control with malt and alcohol. As it warms, the alcohol is noticeable. This wouldn't be bad in a big beer like this... if it weren't trying to be a Belgian. Belgian beers shouldn't have such noticeable, and distinct, alcohol. Drink too many of these and it'd be headache city.

Mouthfeel is too rich and heavy, and it's under-carbonated.

Seems like a Belgian Dubbel influenced too much by someone who loves English Barleywines.

A bit of a mess, and not recommended, but not awful.

errantnight, Mar 18, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not experienced in the abbey ales so keep in mind....

Pours a deep caramel with little head. Smells sweet, particularly for an ale. I was not impressed with this one but probably mostly because it felt and tasted more like a barleywine than anything else. Even the aftertaste was a bit off for an ale.

I'll be curious to try this one again after sampling more abbey ales but for now, I'll be leaving it alone.

SchmoTerp, May 04, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Damian74Shensky, Dec 07, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Nice red color, clear body with a thin, loud, fast and fizzy head that dissipated completely. No lacing whatsoever.

Aroma was of raisins, sweet malt, caramel, and hints of chocolate. Alcohol was definitely noticeable, it was almost boozy.

Taste was of very strong malt, with slight roasted hints. It was sweet, with rum notes evident. Alcohol was not well hidden - it did taste like booze. I didn't get any peanut taste that others have mentioned.

Mouthfeel is kind of average, not much body for something with this much flavor. A trifle thin.

Drinkability gets lower marks. I was hard pressed to finish this before it got too warm. It was like downing shots of whiskey mixed with Sam Adams Boston Lager.

connecticutpoet, Apr 05, 2009