Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Über Abbey Ale) - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Ãœber Abbey Ale)Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Ãœber Abbey Ale)

good

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Jaynuze on 03-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Über Abbey Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 421 | Reviews: 251
3.64/5  rDev -1.1%

(Originally reviewed 04/03/2010)

Heavy Seas Mutiny Fleet - Holy Sheet
Uber Abbey Ale
Clipper City Brewing Co
1pt 6fl oz
Glass - Church Brew Works pint glass

Appearance - deep amber color, half a finger's worth of a tan head that fizzled out quickly. Poured a little like syrup. Fair amount of carbonation bubbles rising to the top

Smell - I suggest filling half the glass and swirling it around, putting your nose to the glass to welcome the sweet scent of sweetened Malts, Belgian sugars, cloves, honey, and I swear I smell banana. After swirling the glass I can say the aroma is one of the better ones I've experienced.

Taste - slight sweetness due to fruits and sugars, spices honey, and i am picking up some banana. Finish of toasty malts that really grows on me as I continue with the beer.

Mouthfeel - clipper city claims full bodied - I'll say medium from my experience. No hops that I can pick up but a decent carbonation that tickes the tongue as you transfer from lips to tonsils. At 9% abv, it's going to finish with a warming feeling.

Drinkability - I want to kick myself - clipper city recommends letting this one age for two years before enjoying, while I like it now, I would agree that the flavor probably needs the time to develop with cellar-aging. Still, I have to admit that I enjoyed this ale immensley, the aroma is one of the best I've had, and the taste is not that far behind. I plan to purchase another, store it and give another review sometime in 2012 or 2013.

3.46/5  rDev -6%

12 oz bottle, served in a Chimay Chalice, ~55 degrees

A- Pours a dark amber color, very smooth appearance, yet the most apparent characteristic of the beer is its amazing clarity of body when compared to other Belgian Tripels, looks almost like a deep Irish Red. Thin white head emerges but dissipates quite quickly without a trace. Strong carbonation.

S - Fruity esters at first followed by slightly smoky malt and a little spice. Not particularly powerful like others of its kin.

T- Sweet fruit notes appear first (figs, plums mainly), followed by a moderate malt flavor with smoky hints leading to a rather dry finish and spice aftertaste. Very low alcohol/ warming taste on the tongue despite its 9% ABV rating.

M - Most prominent in the body texture is the high degree of carbonation which washes over the palette, reducing flavor. Medium to medium light bodied for a Triple.

D - Extremely drinkable for someone who isn't typically keen on the Belgian style. the high alcohol is surprisingly masked well by the lighter body and dry finish.

this brew was recommended to me by a friend who doesn't like Belgians all that much. But to that end, this seems like a good beer to help ease someone into the style: a lighter, easy drinking beer that still retains some of the aromas and flavor of its brethren. Most interesting indeed.

-Baron

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance- Burnt Orange and Dark Cherry, and a pinkish sheet of lace over the glass.

Smell- Chocolate and burnt caramel and sugar with a hint of fruit.

Taste- The only fruit I can taste is prunes, dates, and raisins. I'm not a big fan of any of those, so the taste score is lacking for me personally. Slight taste of the burnt chocolate, caramel, and sugar that the smell hinted. No hops or yeast that I can detect.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and fizz, lighter mouthful than the flavor would indicate.

Drinkability- Not a summer beer, a little too heavy on the palate and eye for that. I don't like the fruit tastes involved, and the mix of fizz and burnt sweetness with the sour fruit taste leaves me sort of, well, like I just sucked on something sour. I don't think I would search this beer out again.

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Auburn with a large, white head that quickly dissipates and leaves no lacing.

Smell: Sweet malts and a surprising lack of sweet fruitiness characteristic of the style. Some astringent chemical/alcohol notes.

Taste: Again, sweet and malty but lacking any sort of yeasty funk or fruitiness. Not offensive, but nowhere near as complex as I've come to expect.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and thick. Not exactly representative of the style, but definitely pleasant.

Drinkability: I could have one or two of these no problem, but I'd want a little more going on here if was to drink more than that.

This was a decent attempt overall. Like I said, not offensive in any way but not the best I've had by a longshot.

4.77/5  rDev +29.6%

It's a dark brown beer with a tan head that dissipates rather quickly. It smells sweet and fruity, but the taste is more complex. The malt is more than sweet and its mouthfeel is almost thick. It does not taste like the 9% on the label, even when I let it warm up.

I like this one so much, I'd session two or three (over the course of an evening), even though it is 9%!

4.67/5  rDev +26.9%

I tried this beer at the Clipper City Brewery this past weekend. They had it on tap and I would have to say that it is one of the best strong beers that I have ever tasted.

The beer comes out of the tap as a nice crimson reddish brown color with a small copperish head. It has a fruity/spiced smell. The taste has these subtle hints of fruit and spice with a smooth finish.

This beer is very drinkable esepcially for a 9-10% ABV beer. After the brewery tour, I bought a six pack to take home and enjoy.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

I went to the local store (Julio's Westborough MA) looking for New Belgium Abbey Ale (didn't have it) and I picked this up. I was not disappointed. It had a roasted brown colour and a light head that disappeared quickly. Strong alcohol smell; malty with date and figs; a little sweet. Weakly carbonated and a little syrupy but overall very good and easily drinkable. In direct comparison to others of this ilk (Dogfish head Raison, Deliriums) I think this is a clear winner.

4.12/5  rDev +12%

This beer took me entirely by surprise.

The look of the beer is a very dark and cloudy amber.

When I poured it into my glass it was very cold (and also possibly quite old) so the carbonation was low. There was little to no lacing.

The mouthfeel of the beer was a little too gritty and hars given the mellowness of rich smell.

The taste struck me. I was expecting something less rich and deep. The rich sweet malt is the first thing that reaches your tongue. After the malt passes rich hints of plum or similar fruit can be detected. This fruity flavor stays with you in the aftertaste with just a hint of bitterness to balance and offset what would otherwise be a cloying sweetness.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance - Pours easily and settled down with a thin tan head that dissipated quickly. Ranges from a mahogany to dark amber color as you move it around in the light.

Smell - Upon first opening the the bottle you are greeted with a nice characteristic belgian ale aroma; however, said aroma greatly tones down as the beer settles into the glass. After a few sips (with a good bit of room left in the glass) disturbing the beer a bit it will kick off a nice malty aroma.

Taste- Definitely tasted a few spices hitting the tongue right off the bat, however as it moved around I began to pick up a good bit of a honey flavor. The hops definitely offer more of an aromatic quality in this beer as they definitely linger in the after taste. The flavor of this beer really does let you know you are drinking a 9% beer .

Mouthfeel- This beer really sits in the middle of the road; I can't say it feels heavy, and I can't say it feels like the lightest beer either. It has a very light carbonation that gently tickles the tongue.

Drinkability- Very drinkable. I recommend starting your night with this beer and coasting with something like a Yeungling lager afterwards.

Grade- B (cold) / B+ (warm): When comparing it against other Belgian (style) Strong Ales I feel like this beer is a bit lacking in the flavor department, and it really has to be kicked in the ass to offer up a nice aroma. Holy Sheet is a very drinkable beer and something I would easily consider going back to if nothing better was offered at the time.

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%

Disageeable taste and mouthfeel, hard to finish a small glass of it.

Heavy Seas - Holy Sheet (Über Abbey Ale) from Heavy Seas Beer