Heavy Seas - Hang Ten (Weizen Doppelbock) - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Hang Ten (Weizen Doppelbock)Heavy Seas - Hang Ten (Weizen Doppelbock)

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Weizenbock |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: dedrinker on 06-19-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 298 | Reviews: 260
3.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The Heavy Seas weizen doppelbock wheat beer "Hang Ten" just came in this week. I was told there wasn't a lot to go around, so it was something I had to try. I'm a big fan of wheat beers, doppelbocks, and of course Heavy Seas.
Upon pouring, the aromas are leaping from the glass at me. The pour reveals a very dark rusty colored beer, with a light fluffy head. The foam is a light beige tone, and not super thick, but very fluffy and pillowy.
A little bit a swirling creates a ton of foam with such tiny bubbles I'm mildly amazed. Its sticking to the glass a little bit, creating some subtle lacing.
With my nose in the glass the first thing I get is the alcohol. I'm not surprised, considering the label declares the "Hang Ten" at 10% abv. This might be three highest alcohol wheat beer I've ever had. After I get past the booze aromas, I'm getting some soft wheat aromas that reminds me of the Weihenstephan Hefeweis. I'm getting virtually no hops at all, with some heavy malty sweets. There's definitely a bit of spice, but its tough to pick out any distinct aromas underneath the sweet wheaty malts.
With my first sip, it tastes great, but I'm a little disappointed. It tastes much more like a good hefe than it does a doppelbock. There is some mild spice, but like the aromas, dominated by malty sweetness. The "Hang Ten" goes down super smooth, its as fluffy in the mouth as it was when I first poured. Seriously, it's weird, it feels like cotton candy!
Although I'm a little disappointed comparing this to other doppelbock brews, the "Hang Ten" quite enjoyable. I'm a huge fan of the "Vitus" from Weihenstephan, for its body, spice, and drinkability; but the Hang Ten is very tasty. Yes Chris, I used the word "tasty" in that sentence.
So, is the Hang Ten an incredible version of a doppelbock? Maybe not. But I'm quite happy with my beer tonight. Try a bottle and tell me what you think.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

A - Cloudy caramel-brown. Reddish orange hues, with a big foamy head sitting high. Tall head leaving sticky spots all over the top of the glass.

S - Lots of fruits in the nose, mainly banana. Sweat malt and hints of clove and mild spices.

T - Sweet, viscous malt and sweet mashed banana. Spiced alcohol, slightly nutty. Bitter hop twist and and alcohol kick. Booze soaked raisins as well.

M - Full bodied, spiced and warming.

O - A sweet and spicy doppelweiss, tastes a bit young.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

2010 Vintage! Served from bottle into a Two Brothers Ebel's Weiss Weizen glass. Poured red-orange with a one finger light tan head that subsided to half a finger quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, wheat, floral, and alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, banana, wheat, metallic, floral, bread, caramel, and alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was an okay brew. Nothing on this brew really stood out to me to make it anything above ordinary. I was not really a big fan of the metallic and alcohol flavor combination going on in this at all. While it was not terrible it was not life altering either. Worth trying, but I would try to do so out of another vessel.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Paulaner weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, dark brown color with a large, frothy head that dissipates slowly and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Smells wheaty and yeasty with a bit of maltiness. Strong banana flavors as well.

Taste: Very malty up front with notes of dark fruit and caramel. Finishes highly alcoholic with a continued malty/yeasty flavor. The finish, however, is so alcoholic it actually burns slightly and covers up most of what's there. Call me a pussy, but this beer might burn a bit much going down...

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, almost creamy, but with a nice carbonation.

Overall: Whew, this one'll knock your socks off; it definitely earns its "Heavy Seas" name. It's clearly a well-made beer but the high alcohol content makes it difficult to really enjoy. Normally, I find that most high-alcohol beers have strong flavors to compensate for the alcoholic "burn". This one lets the alcohol get the better of it, I think. Worth a shot, just be careful.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in a chilled Palm tulip glass at Semolina.

A: Dark and rather immune to light. A cheery brown, verging on blood-black. Inch of creamy head. Impressive.

S: Grapes. Booze. Brandy? A hint of tartness, but none of wheat. Candy sugar; Belgian sweetness.

T: Grapes. Rinds. Sweet alcohol. Fruity tartness as well. Great flavour. Enjoyable, but clearly strong enough to mean business.

M: Not thin, but somehow...lacking. Little carbonation. Sweet thickness isn't *entirely* pleasant.

O: Great beer! -- although I love Heavy Seas. Sweet-strong, fruity-forceful, warming-strong. Interesting beer and definitely worth trying.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%

sampled 10.13.10. reviewed from notes. cask served in a pilsner glass

A - deep reddish muddy color; thin head has shiny, rainbow inflected colors (soap on glass?)
S - sweet malt and vegetable with light herbs(what herb i dunno)
T - malty, slightly earthy vegetable, yeast; toffee, sweet finish
M - soft and smooth as expected from cask; sweet finish
D - solid but not excitable; a little too much vegi for me; nice to try but would not seek out again

3.89/5  rDev +2.4%

[Best served in a Weizen glass]

The pour was a cloudy medium chestnut brown with the head being rather large (3-4 fingers), a frothy light tan and fully diminishing with fair lacing.

It had a sweet aroma to it that started with a toasted straw malt and a large dose of a sweet doughy yeast with notes of banana, dried fruit caramel and a strong scent of alcohol.

The taste was moderately sweet and malty with a nice caramel note at first then became a little sour with a very strong yeast flavor that had hints of some dried fruit and a heavy alcohol presence at the end. The flavor hung around for a good long time, which most definitely enhanced the drinking experience.

Mouthfeel was just a smidgen below medium in body with the texture being thick and creamy and having a slightly dry finish and a mild carbonation.

Overall an interesting mix of styles, but I got to say it works so well I will definitely be having it again.

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%

A- Dark, murky, muddy river bottom. Small fizzy head that fades quickly but leaves a bit of lacing.

S- Chocolate covered raisins, yeasty raisin challah bread, ripe banana, clove and cinnamon. Nice, but nothing overwhelming.

T- Banana nut bread, chocolate and dark fruit. Has some hints of aged rum, sour grapes and chinese five spice. Nice little alcohol burn.

M- Yeasty breadiness never leaves. Decent carbonation and alcohol taste. Neither are overwhelming. Medium bodied with nice raisin bread flavor that really sticks around.

O- I honestly don't have alot of things to compare this to. Maybe Aventinus, but that's in a class all it's own. Really nice, bready and drinkable. I'd have this again... high abv, good price, and really nice drinking.

4.48/5  rDev +17.9%

Live review. Poured from the 22 oz. bottle that I bought at Giant Eagle in Painesville, Ohio a few days ago for $6.99 into my Brewery Ommegang gold rimmed Westvleteren style goblet. No “best by” date observed by me but “2011” prominently printed on the right side of the label.

A Very dark caramel opaque body with a light brown dense, creamy head that sticks very well to the inside of the glass. Really, the look cannot be improved in my opinion. 5.0

S A great, big malt sweetness with banana and cloves lingering about. Really, exactly the smell that I was hoping for! 4.5

T The taste is directly related to the smell. Explosions of sweet malt with a nice accompanyment of the banana and cloves. This is a big, tasty treat and precisely what I was hoping for when I saw this label in the store. There is a burn of alcohol but it comes mid taste and it is escorted along with that big, sweet malt taste so it is fairly well hidden. I did not detect that until the 3rd or 4th sip. 4.5

M Big, thick and beautiful, just the kind of mouthfeel that I enjoy from this style. 5.0

D/O Well I am only going to be able to have one of these but what a great ride while it lasts. I think that it is very competitively priced as well, driving up the drinkability and the likelihood that I will be buying more of it. Bravo! 4.0

3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

Picked up a 22oz bomber in a trade with Dawson's Liquor in Severna Park, MD and poured it into a hotel room rocks glass (not traditional glassware but its all that was available at the time) - thanks fellas!

A: Pours a hazy burnt orange, almost rootbeer brown hue, with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly leaving good lacing in my glass from start to finish.

S: A bit underwhelming overall, but what comes through is sweet and bready, very malty, cinnamon raisin toast with a very faint trace of grassy hop on the back end.

T: Pretty much on point with the nose but the hop character is completely lost in the mix, which isn't a major flaw for the style, but the nose suggested there may be some nice hop in the flavor.

M/D: Nothing special here - chewey and slightly overcarbonated. I'm impressed with the lack of booziness for a 10%'r but the malty sweetness of this brew is a bit overwhelming and difficult to drink. I honestly couldn't finish this one.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Heavy Seas - Hang Ten (Weizen Doppelbock) from Heavy Seas Beer