2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heavy Seas - The Great Pumpkin - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - The Great PumpkinHeavy Seas - The Great Pumpkin

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: sinstaineddemon on 09-18-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 366 | Reviews: 206 | Show All Ratings:
BMMillsy

1.81/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Bomber bottle poured into tulip. Pours dark orange with medium head. All I can smell here is nutmeg. There is no sign of pumpkin, and the spice is offputting and unpleasant. Flavor follows with unbearable nutmeg that takes my breath away, no real pumpkin flavor, and nothing that says to me that this is a beer. The palate is thick and yet burns with the spices here. This was a drain pour and a half.

02-15-2012 22:42:59 | More by BMMillsy
beer4colin

2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

I have been branching out and finding that pumpkin is a good thing in a beer. Shipyard, Puggsley's, Southern Tier and others are doing things that I am loving.

I am a fan of Clipper Heavy Seas, but this misses the boat,

It is a way over spiced attempt to bring what, a pumpkin pie in your mouth?

IMHO, pumpkin ales should be more pumpkin and less spice.

Make this one walk the plank...

10-21-2010 23:18:22 | More by beer4colin
TheBigBoy

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

Little heavy beer for my tastes, had via 22oz bottle. Less Pumpkin dominate taste than other pumpkin beers. More spicy than "pumpkiny". Worth a try around halloween if you enjoy spiced/pumpkin type beers. Cetainly not bad for a try...give it a shot in a 22oz bottle or draft before going for a six-pack or case.

12-03-2010 15:18:54 | More by TheBigBoy
TappaKeggaBrew

2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

A: Pours a lovely orange-amber, with a massive head; lingering very good, lacing good.

S: A mix of allspice and sweet fruit, perhaps a waft of hops in the background.

T: Sweet malt (too sweet) hits the palate hard. Next comes the bitterness of hops, like a slap in the face. That's about it. The spices were present, but subdued in comparison.

M: Good carbonation, but strong alcohol (seems higher than labeled 8%)

O: I can't say I like this one.There are many better pumpkin beers to choose from, so the last couple of inches are headed down the drain.

10-08-2012 02:25:33 | More by TappaKeggaBrew
claspada

Aromas are heavy on the pumpkin pie spice and sweet honey. There are some notes of bready malt with a slight vanilla note and faint hops.

The taste is centered around the maltiness with notes of honey and vanilla up front with heavy cinnamon and pie spice right behind it. Under that there is just a hint of pumpkin or squash like flavor. This finishes with a bland stale pumpkin flavor which seems artificial. This beer starts pleasant and end blah... next please!

10-30-2010 04:12:44 | More by claspada
jlindros

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

Once again in my quest for Pumpkin beer enlightenment I stumble upon Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin, an homage to Charlie Brown. As I try to tackle another pumpkin, I wonder, when will I hit them all? Until then, here comes another review.

A: A good 1 finger head is somewhat light and airy, but nice looking. I can't even begin to describe how clear this beer is, I could perfectly watch the Red Sox game through it without a problem, well maybe some light bending. Anyways the amber and very light brown color is a nice toasty color. The head has divided to a nice light creamy good lookin head covering.

N: Yep, that's toasted pumpkin. Some semi sweet aromas with pumpkin and toasted notes basically fill out the entire nose. Perhaps some light spices, but that's all I have to say about that.

T: Tastes starts wicked sweet. Damn! I think this just gave me diabetes cancer! If I can make it through the sweetness I can get some obvious pumpkin taste and some toasty flavors. More spices than I thought from the nose. Some warming and slightly burning alcohol pieces its way through the flavors to let you know that it is 8%. Some clean crisp tastes, similar to a good lager or Marzen... Spices are also a little much, but they are kept at bay pretty well (see what I did there, with the bay reference... <sigh>). Back to business, not much else on the taste other than really sweet pumpkin, spices, toasty, and alcohol.

M: Very creamy and some alcohol burn. Pretty thick and slight syrupy, with light carbonation.

F: Still finishes really sweet, I was hoping it would dry off. Now I'm a big fan of Southern Tier, which is usually sweet, but this is just ridiculous! This beer would give Willy Wonka a seizure. Some alcohol burns the tongue but then fades away pretty quickly. The pumpkin taste seems to stick around for a bit and morphs into a weird sweet syrup taste, and then to a bad bitter sweet flavor that just won't go away, no matter how much I punch my tongue, that is until I take another sip. But then the taste comes back again, ahhh!

Final thoughts: Yep, it's a pumpkin beer alright. Some toasty pumpkin flavor, light on the spices, but ridiculously sweet! Then the long nagging sweet pumpkin flavor that turns somewhat bitter and won't go away takes a lot from the drinkability. Also, did I mention its way too sweet! It's got a nice alcohol taste, warmth, and slight burn with is unusual for a pumpkin beer, but, you know, the sweetness. Don't think I could stomach this again. If it were, say, 1/10 the sweetness I might be able to attempt this again.

10-10-2009 02:55:12 | More by jlindros
tdm168

3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours an orangish amber with 1/4" of head that fades to a thin lacing. Pumpkin and spice are noticeable in the nose but notes of oak and alcohol esters are more prevalent. Taste is pumpkin, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and oak. Alcohol warmth is very noticeable. The oak dominates and clashes with the spices and pumpkin. Viscous, oily, but medium bodied.

Not a pumpkin I'd like to try again.

09-16-2011 23:18:32 | More by tdm168
BeerPhan86

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

Finally tracked this one down. This will be one a handful of imperial/double pumpkin ales that I have been able to try, my absolute favorite being Pumking by Southern Tier. It is an imperial style that really seems to work, and I see more and more popping up each year. Let's get into it!

A - Pours a slightly hazy orange copper with a very minimal light tan head that quickly dissipates. No real lacing to speak of.

S - Sweet malt, cinnamon, and some slight clove. A nice squashy aroma at the end.

T - Similar to the aroma. More squash/pumpkin flavor than I was expecting but oddly enough not enough of the typical pumpkin ale spice. Odd metallic taste in the finish.

M - Very undercarbonated and watery/thin. A bit more carbonation might help more of the flavors reach the palette.

O - Overall, a bit of a disappointment. I have yet to find something that rivals Pumking. It is a nice attempt at a more squash-based pumpkin ale instead of your typical spiced brown ale, but it does not impress me. The flatness and metallic taste in the finish ruin it for me.

11-26-2011 03:39:37 | More by BeerPhan86
donkeyrunner

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

Orange with a creamy white head. Crystal clear. Despite auspicious beginnings I'm left foamless by mid glass.

Pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and toast aroma. Like a pumpkin molasses sugar cookie. Burnt sugar in there too.

Pumpkin pie spice is certainly in the flavor profile but it's not overpowering. Pie space and burnt candy sugar vs. vegetal pumpkin in an artificial vs. natural pumpkin battle.

An inoffensive imperial pumpkin. It's not too spicy, it's not too sweet, it's not too vegetal. It's not very good either though. It's middling.

09-21-2012 00:25:36 | More by donkeyrunner
pwoody11

Delaware

3.1/5  rDev -18%

Did a side by side with the Greater Pumpkin. The Greater Pumpkin is the same beer aged in Bourbon Barrels.

This beer was a burnt orange with no head but a small ring around the edges. It was lighter in color than the Greater version.

Aroma was pumpkin and spice dominated with a little faint malt in the background.

After the first sip I'm pretty much only picking up pumpkin. As the beer warms I begin to notice some vanilla and nutmeg. Towards the end of the glass I picked up some some serious heat. Thought I picked up the bourbon glass for a second.

Mouthfeel was a little weak, but didn't detract from the overall drinkability.

As far as the side by, to be honest, I couldn't pick up on any major differences. I think the Greater Pumpkin is a correct description, as I preferred it over the other, but again, no striking major differences.

10-09-2010 21:48:41 | More by pwoody11
Gobigvt7

Oregon

22oz bottle into a pint glass

A - orangey-copper colored with a thinnish white baby's breath head. moderate lacing.

S - Actually getting pumpkin on the nose, with subtle downplayed cinnamon. Not an overpowering aroma, but somewhat promising.

T - Alcohol is rather pervasive, spices end up as downplayed in taste as they are in the smell. Could use more. Pumpkin is also very light, lacking richness. A slightly off-putting twang. Not squash sour or alcohol bite, something else I can't put my finger on, maybe a strange combo of the two. Lightly bready with gingersnap.

M - medium-heavy bodied.

O - Gotta say I'm disappointed, considering the style. At times, it feels heavy-handed, but moreso it just feels unartfully made. I've had much worse, but in this day of a million pumpkin beers, this is worth a one-time try and nothing more.

09-17-2011 21:03:07 | More by Gobigvt7
StoutHunter

3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

I picked up a bomber of Clipper City's The Great Pumpkin last week for $6.19 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a new Pumpkin Ale to try this fall so I thought I would give this one a try since every beer I have tried from Clipper City's Mutiny Fleet Series has been pretty good, so lets see how it goes. No visible freshness date 2011. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label on this beer is pretty typical typical for the Mutiny fleet, but after a closer look I can see that the skull is really a carved pumpkin, that was a nice subtle touch. It poured a nice burnt orange/ pumpkin like color with two and a half fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring with a thin lump in the middle that eventually faded to nothing.

S- The first thing that I pick up in the aroma is a nice mixture of spices that consists of clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg. After the spices come a little bit of sweet caramel malts and then some pumpkin and butternut squash at the end. A little more spice forward then I like but its still smells good, similar to pumpkin pie.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma with the spices seeming to stick out the most, all the spices that I picked up in the aroma are in the flavor and are the first thing I taste. After that comes that malts that just impart some sweetness and not really any flavor. The pumpkin in toned down and is overpowered by the dominating spices. The finish has a medium amount of sweetness and little slightly bitter warming alcohol at the end. I would have liked less spices and more pumpkin.

M- On the heavy side of being medium bodied and a nice medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was where it should be for an Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

Overall I thought this was an Ok Pumpkin Ale. I like my pumpkin ales to have a noticeable pumpkin flavor and not dominated by spices, and in this beer the spices were just too dominating and didn't let much pumpkin or malt flavor shine through. The heavy spices and slightly warming alcohol don't make this beer too drinkable, I am glad I am splitting this bomber with my brother or else this might be a chore to finish. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it seems to have ok balance in the aroma and it was similar to pumpkin pie. What I liked least about this beer was the flavor, there was just too much spices and too little malts and pumpkin. I don't think I would get this beer again when in need for a Pumpkin Ale, Screaming Pumpkin is cheaper, more balanced, and tastes better. If you love Pumpkin Ales you may want to give it a try but expect it to be spice forward. This wasn't a bad beer it just lacked the balance that I look for the most in this style, Screaming Pumpkin from the Michigan Brewing Company is still my favorite Pumpkin Ale, but I would still take this over Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale and I would like to try The Greater Pumpkin if I see it around, maybe barrel aging is just what this beer needs. My least favorite beer from The Mutiny Fleet so far, but Peg Leg is still my least favorite beer from them.

10-24-2011 03:31:16 | More by StoutHunter
RickS95

Indiana

3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a brownish orange. Cloudy and full of goodness, nothing clear about this beer. The head is somewhat lacking, it's offwhite but isn't there very long. No lacing.

In addition to the usual array of pumpkin spices, there are traces of actual pumpkin as well. Cloves and nutmeg fill the nose, as does the highish alcohol.

Unfortunately, the pumpkin and spices don't translate into taste because the alcohol masks everything. In the swallow it finally lets up a bit and the pumpkin comes out, but the taste was only average at best.

The alcohol ruins the palate more than some DIPAs I've had. It's all alcohol and little else. There's a slight sweetness and even a spicy bitter finish, but the alcohol grabs the taste bud immediately and never really lets go.

I was disappointed that this was only an average beer. I had high hopes, but it's too one dimensional. The alcohol was just too aggressive, I've had beers with double the ABV that were more balanced.

07-14-2012 03:29:22 | More by RickS95
mikereaser

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a bottle on 12/19/09

A - Pours a mostly hazy copper orange with a bright white foam that quickly disappeared

S - mostly just pumpkin spices, cinnamon, cloves, etc.

T - typical pumpkin spices, but i'm also picking up some lemons, oranges and apples as well. weird taste, maybe its just me

M - oily with active carbonations, creamy mouthfeel

D - one is enough for me, decent flavor, unique taste. pumpkin beers are hit or miss for me and this one is a miss.

07-07-2010 14:39:33 | More by mikereaser
tykees88

Indiana

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

A- It's a nice pumpkin orange. A head that is impressive. Alcohol legs, but no head lacing really.

S- Smells like pumpkin. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. It's a nice smell.

T-Letdown. It's a really sweet flavor, but the spices are too much. It creates a hot flavor.

M-It's really thick. Really chewy. I am just not a fan here.

O-Split a bomber, don't drink the whole thing like I did. you have to try it, cuz it has a cool label at least

10-29-2011 14:08:48 | More by tykees88
perrymarcus

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

bomber served in an oversized wineglass.

pours a luminous, hazy copper/orange tone with less than a finger of cream-colored head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass; lacing in spots.

aroma is more subdued than i was expecting. the usual players are all present and accounted for - pumpkin flesh, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice - but where the nose of, say, pumking is full and robust, steeped in mouth-watering pumpkin pie scents, by contrast this is relatively muted. some may find that appealing; personally i like my imperial pumkin ales more potent and aggressive.

flavor is not an improvement; its profile follows the nose in both makeup and strength. has a dry, slightly bitter finish. not terrible, but one of the more disappointing pumpkin brews i've had so far this season.

medium bodied, medium-carbonation mouthfeel. for me, a drinkability level on par with it's flavor, which is to say average.

09-28-2010 02:47:33 | More by perrymarcus
pwoods

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

22oz. brown bottle poured into a RR wine glass.

A: Pours a dark pumpkin flesh color. Moderate head on the pour without much retention or lacing.

S: Quite a bit of pumpkin spices and maybe a little bit of the squash. Plenty of nutmeg with lighter cinnamon and clove. Maybe some cardomum? Light barrel but not really getting any bourbon.

T/M: Alcohol is pretty apparent. Still not much of the bourbon but plenty of alcohol. Barrel is almost undetectable. Lots of pumpkin pie spices. Very glad the cinnamon isn't over done. Spices seem accentuated from the alcohol. Body is medium full with medium light carbonation.

D: Strong spices and pretty apparent alcohol really hurt the drinkability.

01-07-2011 05:21:06 | More by pwoods
BostonHops

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

bomber served in an oversized wineglass.

pours a luminous, hazy copper/orange tone while yielding less than a finger of cream-colored head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the glass; lacing in spots.

original review: 09-28-2010

05-15-2012 22:30:41 | More by BostonHops
SaCkErZ9

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Beer emerges crystal clear and amber in color with bright orange highlights and hues. Topped with a very small and thin white head. Not much action going on under the surface.

Aroma is laced with alcohol, which in this case, is a deterrant. Kind of corn like and cheap smelling. There are aromas of pumpkin but the overall aroma is laced with adjuncts. I dont think this one is too bad but this one just sets me off the wrong way.

Decent flavor profile but unless this one is served cold, the alcohol is definitely noticeable (mine is slightly less than cellar temp). Hot alcohol. Take your favorite malt liquor and place some pumpkin pie spice and a Nilla Wafer in the bottle, and this is what you come up with. I like the pumpkin flavors better than the aroma; solid bits of pumpkin pie spice with a little bit of breadiness and cracker.

Taking the alcohol into consideration, and by that I mean placing this in an "imperial pumpkin" category, this one isnt too bad. The alcohol is hot and very noticeable. I wouldnt have this one again. Pumpking is still the king of Imperial Pumpkins.

09-21-2012 23:08:23 | More by SaCkErZ9
atsprings

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

22oz bottle into a Duvel snifter pours a slightly hazy orange with a thin off white head that diminishes to a ring and leaves spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma is dominated by pumpkin spice with slight caramel malt. The taste is loads of pumpkin spice with slightly cloying sweet malts as well, there is also loads of boozy alcohol that becomes even more present as the beer warms. The beer is somewhat heavy with more alcohol presence than I would want in a pumpkin ale. I must say, the Mutiny Fleet series is starting to be one disappointment after another. Imperial beers are supposed to have more flavor overall, not just excessive alcohol on top of the standard flavors.

10-21-2009 00:55:56 | More by atsprings
WhiteOak

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Orange color. Loaded with floating particles. Head quick to settle.

S- The aroma is a one-dimensional artificial cinnamon smell, just like those old Red Hots cinnamon candy, or Big Red gum, and this is not a plus for me.

T- That same Red Hot cinnamon candy is there, unfortunately, even with some of that fake cinnamon burn. However, there is a background of nice nutty caramel malt. I would like to try this without that one particular cinnamon flavoring agent, because I think it would be a nice ale.

M, D - I like the feel, balance, sweet malt, CO2 level, and drinkability... all except the seemingly artificial "cinnamon." Not too bad otherwise.

05-18-2010 00:04:41 | More by WhiteOak
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: A deep brownish orange color coupled with a weak head that didnt stay on the beer very long.
Smell: It had a nice scent of male and pumpkin notes with a strong cinnamon aroma.
Taste: The first sip was a combination of the hops and malt working together. The beer had a very bold pumpkin flavor complimented by the cinnamon notes.
Mouthfeel and Drinkability: It had a nice light carbonation that made it easy to drink. It felt very clean while still being a very thick beer. Overall, it does not overwhelm the palate.

10-31-2009 20:33:27 | More by pzrhsau
BeerBelcher

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

A hearty (8% ABV) but pretty under-whelming pumpkin beer. Appearance is an orange murkiness with not much head. The flavor was pretty decent, but this beer seemed to have hardly any carbonation, and rather than being rich in mouthfeel like some other low-carbonation beers (Imperial Stouts), this beer came off as flat and kind of uninspired. But, the aroma and flavor were pretty good - lots of spice but somehow not quite as pumpkin-y as other really good pumpkin beers. I really like the pumpkin beer genre, and have had quite a few this year, and my three favorites are Southern Tier Pumking, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, and Hoppin' Frog Imperial Pumpkin. This beer is nowhere near as good as those three, but is still a pretty enjoyable. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, but I thought it OK.

I bought this beer at Blacklick liquors in Blacklick (near Reynoldsburg, outside Columbus), OH.

11-06-2009 14:54:41 | More by BeerBelcher
Kvltbm

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%

Bomber to snifter.

A: Deep copper orange with 1 finger of off-white head.
S: Pretty average, exactly what you'd expect from a pumpkin beer. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, some sweetness from the pumpkin, and a touch of alcohol. Nothing bad, nothing exceptional.
T: Same spices as in the nose, pumpkin, some breadiness, but followed by a big blast of booze. The booziest 8% beer I've ever had, I think.
M: Medium body, medium carbonation.

Not a bad beer, but the booziness kills it for me. Still very much looking forward to trying The Greater Pumpkin, however.

09-28-2011 04:40:54 | More by Kvltbm
Immortale25

3.3/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a medium dark amber with a 1/4 inch head that dissipates quickly. Sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Noticed sediment in the bomber when looking for the freshness date.

S- Pretty decent aroma with notes of pumpkin, spices, nutmeg and a bit of cinnamon.

T- A lot more flavor than I was expecting. A lot of spiciness that doesn't necessarily indicate nutmeg, cinnamon etc. Quite a strong aftertaste as well. Trying to find the hops and malt in this but the spices are quite overpowering. Plus, I don't find pumpkin in the taste as much as I do the aroma. Trying to place my finger on what this reminds me of...some sort of artificial flavor I've had before. I hate taster's block.

M- Heavy but in an herbal, spicy way rather than a thick way. Quite a bit of alcohol bite without completely spoiling the taste. Carbonation is heavily felt on the tongue and in the nose further adding to overall excessive nature of the brew.

O- It's kind of like they wanted to make a strong pumpkin beer but went too far with all of the special ingredients. My inability to derive at least a malt profile from this beer leaves me somewhat disappointed. Plus, there really aren't that many pumpkin notes detected other than in the nose. Another in a series of letdowns from Heavy Seas. I'm beginning to wonder if Loose Cannon and Dubbel Cannon are their only good beers...

10-10-2011 01:02:18 | More by Immortale25