Heavy Seas - The Great Pumpkin - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: sinstaineddemon on 09-18-2009)

MyTBeerDrinker, Dec 29, 2011

s1nist3r, Oct 16, 2012
1.81/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Bomber bottle poured into tulip. Pours dark orange with medium head. All I can smell here is nutmeg. There is no sign of pumpkin, and the spice is offputting and unpleasant. Flavor follows with unbearable nutmeg that takes my breath away, no real pumpkin flavor, and nothing that says to me that this is a beer. The palate is thick and yet burns with the spices here. This was a drain pour and a half.

BMMillsy, Feb 15, 2012

Turbodog666, Jan 11, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

jd77, Nov 13, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

mcss, Nov 03, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

I have been branching out and finding that pumpkin is a good thing in a beer. Shipyard, Puggsley's, Southern Tier and others are doing things that I am loving.

I am a fan of Clipper Heavy Seas, but this misses the boat,

It is a way over spiced attempt to bring what, a pumpkin pie in your mouth?

IMHO, pumpkin ales should be more pumpkin and less spice.

Make this one walk the plank...

beer4colin, Oct 22, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

chrispoint, Feb 19, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

lupercmda, Nov 19, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Zaphog, Nov 08, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

Little heavy beer for my tastes, had via 22oz bottle. Less Pumpkin dominate taste than other pumpkin beers. More spicy than "pumpkiny". Worth a try around halloween if you enjoy spiced/pumpkin type beers. Cetainly not bad for a try...give it a shot in a 22oz bottle or draft before going for a six-pack or case.

TheBigBoy, Dec 03, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

A: Pours a lovely orange-amber, with a massive head; lingering very good, lacing good.

S: A mix of allspice and sweet fruit, perhaps a waft of hops in the background.

T: Sweet malt (too sweet) hits the palate hard. Next comes the bitterness of hops, like a slap in the face. That's about it. The spices were present, but subdued in comparison.

M: Good carbonation, but strong alcohol (seems higher than labeled 8%)

O: I can't say I like this one.There are many better pumpkin beers to choose from, so the last couple of inches are headed down the drain.

TappaKeggaBrew, Oct 08, 2012

mendvicdog, Jan 28, 2013

Aromas are heavy on the pumpkin pie spice and sweet honey. There are some notes of bready malt with a slight vanilla note and faint hops.

The taste is centered around the maltiness with notes of honey and vanilla up front with heavy cinnamon and pie spice right behind it. Under that there is just a hint of pumpkin or squash like flavor. This finishes with a bland stale pumpkin flavor which seems artificial. This beer starts pleasant and end blah... next please!

claspada, Oct 30, 2010

MrBoh, Oct 14, 2013

harrymel, Jan 01, 2012

Dicers, Oct 18, 2013

ncstateplaya, Jun 13, 2012

Roland45s, Nov 01, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

Once again in my quest for Pumpkin beer enlightenment I stumble upon Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin, an homage to Charlie Brown. As I try to tackle another pumpkin, I wonder, when will I hit them all? Until then, here comes another review.

A: A good 1 finger head is somewhat light and airy, but nice looking. I can't even begin to describe how clear this beer is, I could perfectly watch the Red Sox game through it without a problem, well maybe some light bending. Anyways the amber and very light brown color is a nice toasty color. The head has divided to a nice light creamy good lookin head covering.

N: Yep, that's toasted pumpkin. Some semi sweet aromas with pumpkin and toasted notes basically fill out the entire nose. Perhaps some light spices, but that's all I have to say about that.

T: Tastes starts wicked sweet. Damn! I think this just gave me diabetes cancer! If I can make it through the sweetness I can get some obvious pumpkin taste and some toasty flavors. More spices than I thought from the nose. Some warming and slightly burning alcohol pieces its way through the flavors to let you know that it is 8%. Some clean crisp tastes, similar to a good lager or Marzen... Spices are also a little much, but they are kept at bay pretty well (see what I did there, with the bay reference... <sigh>). Back to business, not much else on the taste other than really sweet pumpkin, spices, toasty, and alcohol.

M: Very creamy and some alcohol burn. Pretty thick and slight syrupy, with light carbonation.

F: Still finishes really sweet, I was hoping it would dry off. Now I'm a big fan of Southern Tier, which is usually sweet, but this is just ridiculous! This beer would give Willy Wonka a seizure. Some alcohol burns the tongue but then fades away pretty quickly. The pumpkin taste seems to stick around for a bit and morphs into a weird sweet syrup taste, and then to a bad bitter sweet flavor that just won't go away, no matter how much I punch my tongue, that is until I take another sip. But then the taste comes back again, ahhh!

Final thoughts: Yep, it's a pumpkin beer alright. Some toasty pumpkin flavor, light on the spices, but ridiculously sweet! Then the long nagging sweet pumpkin flavor that turns somewhat bitter and won't go away takes a lot from the drinkability. Also, did I mention its way too sweet! It's got a nice alcohol taste, warmth, and slight burn with is unusual for a pumpkin beer, but, you know, the sweetness. Don't think I could stomach this again. If it were, say, 1/10 the sweetness I might be able to attempt this again.

jlindros, Oct 10, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours an orangish amber with 1/4" of head that fades to a thin lacing. Pumpkin and spice are noticeable in the nose but notes of oak and alcohol esters are more prevalent. Taste is pumpkin, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and oak. Alcohol warmth is very noticeable. The oak dominates and clashes with the spices and pumpkin. Viscous, oily, but medium bodied.

Not a pumpkin I'd like to try again.

tdm168, Sep 17, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

Orange with a creamy white head. Crystal clear. Despite auspicious beginnings I'm left foamless by mid glass.

Pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and toast aroma. Like a pumpkin molasses sugar cookie. Burnt sugar in there too.

Pumpkin pie spice is certainly in the flavor profile but it's not overpowering. Pie space and burnt candy sugar vs. vegetal pumpkin in an artificial vs. natural pumpkin battle.

An inoffensive imperial pumpkin. It's not too spicy, it's not too sweet, it's not too vegetal. It's not very good either though. It's middling.

donkeyrunner, Sep 21, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

Finally tracked this one down. This will be one a handful of imperial/double pumpkin ales that I have been able to try, my absolute favorite being Pumking by Southern Tier. It is an imperial style that really seems to work, and I see more and more popping up each year. Let's get into it!

A - Pours a slightly hazy orange copper with a very minimal light tan head that quickly dissipates. No real lacing to speak of.

S - Sweet malt, cinnamon, and some slight clove. A nice squashy aroma at the end.

T - Similar to the aroma. More squash/pumpkin flavor than I was expecting but oddly enough not enough of the typical pumpkin ale spice. Odd metallic taste in the finish.

M - Very undercarbonated and watery/thin. A bit more carbonation might help more of the flavors reach the palette.

O - Overall, a bit of a disappointment. I have yet to find something that rivals Pumking. It is a nice attempt at a more squash-based pumpkin ale instead of your typical spiced brown ale, but it does not impress me. The flatness and metallic taste in the finish ruin it for me.

BeerPhan86, Nov 26, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -18%

Did a side by side with the Greater Pumpkin. The Greater Pumpkin is the same beer aged in Bourbon Barrels.

This beer was a burnt orange with no head but a small ring around the edges. It was lighter in color than the Greater version.

Aroma was pumpkin and spice dominated with a little faint malt in the background.

After the first sip I'm pretty much only picking up pumpkin. As the beer warms I begin to notice some vanilla and nutmeg. Towards the end of the glass I picked up some some serious heat. Thought I picked up the bourbon glass for a second.

Mouthfeel was a little weak, but didn't detract from the overall drinkability.

As far as the side by, to be honest, I couldn't pick up on any major differences. I think the Greater Pumpkin is a correct description, as I preferred it over the other, but again, no striking major differences.

pwoody11, Oct 09, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a brownish orange. Cloudy and full of goodness, nothing clear about this beer. The head is somewhat lacking, it's offwhite but isn't there very long. No lacing.

In addition to the usual array of pumpkin spices, there are traces of actual pumpkin as well. Cloves and nutmeg fill the nose, as does the highish alcohol.

Unfortunately, the pumpkin and spices don't translate into taste because the alcohol masks everything. In the swallow it finally lets up a bit and the pumpkin comes out, but the taste was only average at best.

The alcohol ruins the palate more than some DIPAs I've had. It's all alcohol and little else. There's a slight sweetness and even a spicy bitter finish, but the alcohol grabs the taste bud immediately and never really lets go.

I was disappointed that this was only an average beer. I had high hopes, but it's too one dimensional. The alcohol was just too aggressive, I've had beers with double the ABV that were more balanced.

RickS95, Jul 14, 2012