Heavy Seas - Siren Noire Imperial Chocolate Stout - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Siren Noire Imperial Chocolate StoutHeavy Seas - Siren Noire Imperial Chocolate Stout

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 02-20-2010)
1.38/5  rDev -63.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Snifter...

2010 Vintage

Appearance-Pretty black, light can shine through. Head is about One finger of light brown head which dissipates quikcly. Some streaks of lacing remain on the glass.

Smell-Fucker. I think I jynxed myself. To my knowledge I have never had an infected beer, and yesterday I was wondering if that day will ever happen and I hope it's not something that's crazy expensive. Anyway, I take my first whiff and I can a light aroma of chocolate and roast but something didn't seem right. Sniff it again and I got some vile, sour, vinegar aroma. Stings the nostrils. Surely this beer may be my first infected experience. Or maybe It just sucks?

Taste-Yep, somethings wrong. Big roasty note upfront, and then it just sucks. Has to be infected. Sour, disguisting. I took a few extra sips just for review purposes and once I finish this review it's going down the drain.

Mouthfeel-Taking away from the fact that it tastes like shit the mouthfeel also sucks. Just watery and not good.

Overall-I need to get a Rogue Chocolate Stout to drink this week, just to double check that these beers don't suck. Dammit, this taste is lingering and blows. At least it's not an expensive bomber.

SWMeyer4141, Aug 08, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -60%

chrispoint, Feb 19, 2012
1.7/5  rDev -54.7%

Poured into ccb snifter

Pours 1/2 finger of light tan head. Color pours a copper brown, but settles black.

Aroma: Roasted malts and dark chocolate. Heavy roast here with some hints of coffee. Notes of vanilla as well.

Taste: I really can't tell this is a stout. It has so many off flavors. It seems infected but it isn't fizzy like infected beers are. Chocolate and burnt malts. Cherry like infection notes. Not good at all.

Mouthfeel: Roasted, a bit fizzy, and dry. Medium to full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry and sour.

Overall, I think this is infected or something. It isn't good at all. I can't find anything I like about it. I don't know if I will be able to finish half of this bottle.

mothman, Sep 19, 2010

SickNukes, May 22, 2012

On tap at hulmeville inn

A- comes to me with little to no head that sits on top of a murky dark brown brew.

S- dark chocolate and a bit of roasted malts.

T- slight roasty flavor with bits of cocoa. Rather cola like all thing considered. Not that imperial at all.

M- thin body and mid to high in the card. A little to high I might say.

D- I'm not even going to finish my share of a pint split with my boy. I'm really glad I don't have to.

oglmcdgl, Jul 03, 2010
2.28/5  rDev -39.2%

22oz bottle...probably about 1 year old. Served at cellar temperature.

Pours thin dark brown to black with a one finger active light brown head that hisses like a snake, leaving some temporary spots of lacing and quickly recedes to a small cap.

Aroma is some light cocoa and bakers chocolate, some overripe if not sour dark fruits, a bit funky. Moderate strength.

Flavor is light on the chocolate, strong dark fruits with a touch of tartness, roasted malts, minimal alcohol, fairly sweet early but does finish with some bitterness.

Mouthfeel is thin with medium to high carbonation.

Not very Imperial Stout-like and the minimal chocolate presence doesn’t help. Not impressed.

elgiacomo, May 21, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -37.9%

2011 vintage, 22 oz bomber into a DFH signature glass. Opens with a very loud pop.

A - Pours a jet black body, Two fingers of light mocha foam with some pretty impressive lacing and retention. Stuff just clings on for dear life.

S - Oh no. Ohhhh no. Bittersweet chocolate, plastic, roasted malts, burnt coffee and some vegetal qualities. This is bad, real bad.

T - I'd rather not try this, but I must. Bitter chocolate fades into wet cigarettes, weird red fruits, and an underlying plasticy element. This isn't an infection, its just a beer that probably saw some less than ideal living conditions during its two year stay on the store shelf. I can't finish this. Ugh...mouthfeel is medium and coating and lasts for a long time, which does NOT help.

O - Chock it up to a bottle past its prime, but this is just undrinkable. BA Siren Noire was a bit average but a hell of a bargain. I was hoping that the base beer would be similar. Note to self, buy this beer fresh.

davey101, Mar 15, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -36%

A: It has a good look for a stout, with deep black impenetrable by any light at all. The head is a very fine and smooth creamy tan.

S: It smells like strong alcohol. At first it smelled like vodka but then it started smelling like spiced rum. I can smell some roasted grains but not much makes it past the alcohol.

T: It tastes pretty good. It doesn't taste much like chocolate so it loses some of the taste score for that, but it's a good stout.

M: The mouthfeel is good. It's creamy with just the right amount of carbonation.

O: Overall I think it's a decent stout but it's pretty low in chocolate flavor. Even the bitterness is lower than what I'd expect from a chocolate stout so it's a little weak. It's not a bad beer but I wouldn't choose it over any chocolate stouts I can think of off the top of my head.

teromous, Apr 29, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. I let it warm before opening and pouring this beer.

This stout is an oily black, with a carbonated tan head that quickly disappears.

Has a sweet malty smell, heavy on alcohol, with coffee and dark chocolate notes. Has an underlying milkiness to its smell.

Is a lot harsher than many other stouts of this style. Sharp in its alcohol taste, it is overly sweet, with an almost medicial taste to it. There is little malt taste to this stout, and it finishes with a slight sour nip at the tongue.

For a stout that I let get good and warm, it is actually pretty thin it its mouthfeel.

Not terribly drinkable, I do not plan on purchasing this one again. Its a shame, too, because as a fanof this style, I had high hopes for this one tonight.

TheHoppiest, Jul 10, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -34.7%

Had this on tap and didn't care for it. Smelled and tasted like a liquid tootsie roll. This is not what stout should be. I had high hopes for it but was disappointed. I enjoy stouts but will not try this again. Are there any good chocolate stouts? The mind boggles.

jcparke, Jan 23, 2011

deebo, Jun 07, 2014

sneth019, Feb 10, 2012

Faina, Jan 05, 2012

Kelp, Apr 23, 2013

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

DeutschesBier, Mar 08, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very dark brown in color with one finger of head that slowly settled to a thin cap. A little sticky lacing is left on the glass. Aroma consists of some nice chocolate elements but unfortunately there is also some acidity or sourness coming through. The flavor is also suffering. This sourness comes through in the flavor as well and ruins the otherwise good bittersweet chocolate flavor. Wish I could taste more of the malt because what I can taste, is pretty good. The alcohol is not detectable. The body is also thin and watery. Not completely undrinkable, but it sure made me work to get through the bottle.

morimech, Aug 15, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -30.7%

Hershey bar brown with generous orange-gold highlights along the bottom edge of the glass. Far from a black hole. The upper third is filled with khaki colored foam that looks pretty good after the pour and slightly better as it melts. No lace is a no-no.

The nose has a fruity tanginess that shouldn't be present. The basics of a Belgian cocoa nib-added Imperial stout are there, but SNICS doesn't smell like it will be a malt bomb by any means. Nor is it very hoppy. This is setting up to be a disappointing member of the Heavy Seas Mutiny Series.

Calling Siren Noire average is being kind... and the taste score may not be able to cling to the 3.0 once the middle portion of the bomber is breached. There are many 5.0% stouts that contain more malt than this. Besides, the chocolate has an odd, extract-like quality that is inexcusable.

Specifics include watery cocoa, an unripe fig tartness, and a small splash of cold coffee. Very few malt sugars and even fewer alpha acids add up to a lackluster performance on both sides of the sweet-bitter seesaw. Maybe that's why sour is able to barge in the front door and get comfortable on the couch.

The mouthfeel is a sad excuse for an Imperial <anything>. It's devoid of expansiveness, creaminess, hang-on, silkiness, slickness... anything that would make me think big beer (or even good beer). In a word... pathetic.

Siren Noire Imperial Chocolate Stout is just short of being an unmitigated disaster. Did the brewers actually taste test this stuff before letting it leave the premises? This offering is a head-scratcher because Clipper City, while not outstanding, is usually able to deliver fairly solid beer across a wide range of styles. Not recommended.

BuckeyeNation, Oct 09, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -29.9%

On- tap at the Hulmeville Inn.

A- Bordering on light black if that makes sense with some muddy brown towards the edges, a semi tan head up top with a foamy look, minor stickage.

S- A small amount of cocco and chocolate bar is even lighter. More roasty than sweet chocolate. A hit of vanilla and cola. It smells like it's not going to be to sweet.

T- Not an Imperial chocolate stout, there may be alot of alcohol in it for that classification but certainly not big on chocolate. This taste like a light cocco infused cherry cola when all is said and done. I swear I get some cherry out of it, I don't think i'm crazy. Some roast, all together bad.

M&D- Medium bodied but it comes off a bit watery since it's classified as being big, that's not the case. A cola like aftertaste. Not very sweet. Some people are calling this choklat light, well they are wrong, no way. I did not pour this down the drain, but the bartender did when I left the rest of my glass on the bar.

BARFLYB, Jul 03, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

Bottle.
Dark brown color with a very slight head. More roast coffee flavor in the nose than anything and I get really no chocolate notes. The taste is farily smooth with some milk chocolate notes but very minimal at best. More roast coffee with some sweetness and dark fruit flavors. Medim mouthfeel. Nothing extremely special and I would be upset if I wanted a strong chocolate beer and I got this instead. Zero real alcohol taste.

kbutler1, Sep 20, 2010

Goldfishman, Apr 22, 2012

rabiddawg, Feb 18, 2013

yourefragile, Jan 23, 2013

beertardis, Mar 20, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours dark brown to black with a head that fades quickly. Smells of roasted malt, chocolate, and sour cream. Taste is more coffee than chocolate, rather bitter. The finish is long and funky...and it just won't quit. Mouthfeel is weak and thin. Drinkability is not too good, halfway through and no want for more. Won't try this one again.

HopGoblin, Apr 06, 2010