2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heavy Seas - Siren Noire Imperial Chocolate Stout - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Siren Noire Imperial Chocolate StoutHeavy Seas - Siren Noire Imperial Chocolate Stout

good

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 02-20-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 328 | Reviews: 180 | Show All Ratings:
SWMeyer4141

1.38/5  rDev -62.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Snifter...

2010 Vintage

Appearance-Pretty black, light can shine through. Head is about One finger of light brown head which dissipates quikcly. Some streaks of lacing remain on the glass.

Smell-Fucker. I think I jynxed myself. To my knowledge I have never had an infected beer, and yesterday I was wondering if that day will ever happen and I hope it's not something that's crazy expensive. Anyway, I take my first whiff and I can a light aroma of chocolate and roast but something didn't seem right. Sniff it again and I got some vile, sour, vinegar aroma. Stings the nostrils. Surely this beer may be my first infected experience. Or maybe It just sucks?

Taste-Yep, somethings wrong. Big roasty note upfront, and then it just sucks. Has to be infected. Sour, disguisting. I took a few extra sips just for review purposes and once I finish this review it's going down the drain.

Mouthfeel-Taking away from the fact that it tastes like shit the mouthfeel also sucks. Just watery and not good.

Overall-I need to get a Rogue Chocolate Stout to drink this week, just to double check that these beers don't suck. Dammit, this taste is lingering and blows. At least it's not an expensive bomber.

08-08-2011 00:54:51 | More by SWMeyer4141
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

1.7/5  rDev -53.8%

Poured into ccb snifter

Pours 1/2 finger of light tan head. Color pours a copper brown, but settles black.

Aroma: Roasted malts and dark chocolate. Heavy roast here with some hints of coffee. Notes of vanilla as well.

Taste: I really can't tell this is a stout. It has so many off flavors. It seems infected but it isn't fizzy like infected beers are. Chocolate and burnt malts. Cherry like infection notes. Not good at all.

Mouthfeel: Roasted, a bit fizzy, and dry. Medium to full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry and sour.

Overall, I think this is infected or something. It isn't good at all. I can't find anything I like about it. I don't know if I will be able to finish half of this bottle.

09-19-2010 03:46:21 | More by mothman
oglmcdgl

On tap at hulmeville inn

A- comes to me with little to no head that sits on top of a murky dark brown brew.

S- dark chocolate and a bit of roasted malts.

T- slight roasty flavor with bits of cocoa. Rather cola like all thing considered. Not that imperial at all.

M- thin body and mid to high in the card. A little to high I might say.

D- I'm not even going to finish my share of a pint split with my boy. I'm really glad I don't have to.

07-03-2010 03:25:16 | More by oglmcdgl
elgiacomo

Georgia

2.28/5  rDev -38%

22oz bottle...probably about 1 year old. Served at cellar temperature.

Pours thin dark brown to black with a one finger active light brown head that hisses like a snake, leaving some temporary spots of lacing and quickly recedes to a small cap.

Aroma is some light cocoa and bakers chocolate, some overripe if not sour dark fruits, a bit funky. Moderate strength.

Flavor is light on the chocolate, strong dark fruits with a touch of tartness, roasted malts, minimal alcohol, fairly sweet early but does finish with some bitterness.

Mouthfeel is thin with medium to high carbonation.

Not very Imperial Stout-like and the minimal chocolate presence doesn’t help. Not impressed.

05-21-2011 03:46:38 | More by elgiacomo
davey101

Connecticut

2.33/5  rDev -36.7%

2011 vintage, 22 oz bomber into a DFH signature glass. Opens with a very loud pop.

A - Pours a jet black body, Two fingers of light mocha foam with some pretty impressive lacing and retention. Stuff just clings on for dear life.

S - Oh no. Ohhhh no. Bittersweet chocolate, plastic, roasted malts, burnt coffee and some vegetal qualities. This is bad, real bad.

T - I'd rather not try this, but I must. Bitter chocolate fades into wet cigarettes, weird red fruits, and an underlying plasticy element. This isn't an infection, its just a beer that probably saw some less than ideal living conditions during its two year stay on the store shelf. I can't finish this. Ugh...mouthfeel is medium and coating and lasts for a long time, which does NOT help.

O - Chock it up to a bottle past its prime, but this is just undrinkable. BA Siren Noire was a bit average but a hell of a bargain. I was hoping that the base beer would be similar. Note to self, buy this beer fresh.

03-15-2013 02:41:09 | More by davey101
teromous

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

A: It has a good look for a stout, with deep black impenetrable by any light at all. The head is a very fine and smooth creamy tan.

S: It smells like strong alcohol. At first it smelled like vodka but then it started smelling like spiced rum. I can smell some roasted grains but not much makes it past the alcohol.

T: It tastes pretty good. It doesn't taste much like chocolate so it loses some of the taste score for that, but it's a good stout.

M: The mouthfeel is good. It's creamy with just the right amount of carbonation.

O: Overall I think it's a decent stout but it's pretty low in chocolate flavor. Even the bitterness is lower than what I'd expect from a chocolate stout so it's a little weak. It's not a bad beer but I wouldn't choose it over any chocolate stouts I can think of off the top of my head.

04-29-2011 19:11:35 | More by teromous
TheHoppiest

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. I let it warm before opening and pouring this beer.

This stout is an oily black, with a carbonated tan head that quickly disappears.

Has a sweet malty smell, heavy on alcohol, with coffee and dark chocolate notes. Has an underlying milkiness to its smell.

Is a lot harsher than many other stouts of this style. Sharp in its alcohol taste, it is overly sweet, with an almost medicial taste to it. There is little malt taste to this stout, and it finishes with a slight sour nip at the tongue.

For a stout that I let get good and warm, it is actually pretty thin it its mouthfeel.

Not terribly drinkable, I do not plan on purchasing this one again. Its a shame, too, because as a fanof this style, I had high hopes for this one tonight.

07-10-2010 02:03:07 | More by TheHoppiest
jcparke

Connecticut

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

Had this on tap and didn't care for it. Smelled and tasted like a liquid tootsie roll. This is not what stout should be. I had high hopes for it but was disappointed. I enjoy stouts but will not try this again. Are there any good chocolate stouts? The mind boggles.

01-23-2011 22:41:31 | More by jcparke
morimech

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very dark brown in color with one finger of head that slowly settled to a thin cap. A little sticky lacing is left on the glass. Aroma consists of some nice chocolate elements but unfortunately there is also some acidity or sourness coming through. The flavor is also suffering. This sourness comes through in the flavor as well and ruins the otherwise good bittersweet chocolate flavor. Wish I could taste more of the malt because what I can taste, is pretty good. The alcohol is not detectable. The body is also thin and watery. Not completely undrinkable, but it sure made me work to get through the bottle.

08-15-2010 18:25:22 | More by morimech
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

Hershey bar brown with generous orange-gold highlights along the bottom edge of the glass. Far from a black hole. The upper third is filled with khaki colored foam that looks pretty good after the pour and slightly better as it melts. No lace is a no-no.

The nose has a fruity tanginess that shouldn't be present. The basics of a Belgian cocoa nib-added Imperial stout are there, but SNICS doesn't smell like it will be a malt bomb by any means. Nor is it very hoppy. This is setting up to be a disappointing member of the Heavy Seas Mutiny Series.

Calling Siren Noire average is being kind... and the taste score may not be able to cling to the 3.0 once the middle portion of the bomber is breached. There are many 5.0% stouts that contain more malt than this. Besides, the chocolate has an odd, extract-like quality that is inexcusable.

Specifics include watery cocoa, an unripe fig tartness, and a small splash of cold coffee. Very few malt sugars and even fewer alpha acids add up to a lackluster performance on both sides of the sweet-bitter seesaw. Maybe that's why sour is able to barge in the front door and get comfortable on the couch.

The mouthfeel is a sad excuse for an Imperial <anything>. It's devoid of expansiveness, creaminess, hang-on, silkiness, slickness... anything that would make me think big beer (or even good beer). In a word... pathetic.

Siren Noire Imperial Chocolate Stout is just short of being an unmitigated disaster. Did the brewers actually taste test this stuff before letting it leave the premises? This offering is a head-scratcher because Clipper City, while not outstanding, is usually able to deliver fairly solid beer across a wide range of styles. Not recommended.

10-09-2010 12:19:54 | More by BuckeyeNation
BARFLYB

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

On- tap at the Hulmeville Inn.

A- Bordering on light black if that makes sense with some muddy brown towards the edges, a semi tan head up top with a foamy look, minor stickage.

S- A small amount of cocco and chocolate bar is even lighter. More roasty than sweet chocolate. A hit of vanilla and cola. It smells like it's not going to be to sweet.

T- Not an Imperial chocolate stout, there may be alot of alcohol in it for that classification but certainly not big on chocolate. This taste like a light cocco infused cherry cola when all is said and done. I swear I get some cherry out of it, I don't think i'm crazy. Some roast, all together bad.

M&D- Medium bodied but it comes off a bit watery since it's classified as being big, that's not the case. A cola like aftertaste. Not very sweet. Some people are calling this choklat light, well they are wrong, no way. I did not pour this down the drain, but the bartender did when I left the rest of my glass on the bar.

07-03-2010 14:42:21 | More by BARFLYB
kbutler1

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Bottle.
Dark brown color with a very slight head. More roast coffee flavor in the nose than anything and I get really no chocolate notes. The taste is farily smooth with some milk chocolate notes but very minimal at best. More roast coffee with some sweetness and dark fruit flavors. Medim mouthfeel. Nothing extremely special and I would be upset if I wanted a strong chocolate beer and I got this instead. Zero real alcohol taste.

09-20-2010 13:00:10 | More by kbutler1
HopGoblin

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours dark brown to black with a head that fades quickly. Smells of roasted malt, chocolate, and sour cream. Taste is more coffee than chocolate, rather bitter. The finish is long and funky...and it just won't quit. Mouthfeel is weak and thin. Drinkability is not too good, halfway through and no want for more. Won't try this one again.

04-06-2010 18:18:12 | More by HopGoblin
thechaser

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

22oz bottle into white wine glass.

Very dark ruby red, almost black. Tan thin head. Thin appearance.

Nose is straight up dark chocolate dominance. Slightly boozy and roasted dark malted barley.

Taste very similar to nose. Yet a bit more dark fruit, raisin, but not much. Too much carbonation for the style.

Overall this beer is slightly below average for this style for me. I was actually expecting much more out of it but I was led to an over carbonated, dark chocolate dominate stout. It had potential but didn't deliver.

03-12-2012 00:38:27 | More by thechaser
jmdrpi

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

22oz bomber pours into nonic pint glass

A - black, with garnet hues in the corners. minimal head.
S - big chocolate aroma. toasted marshmellow
T - bitter, roasty, but not really any chocolate that was in the nose
M - fairly thin for an imperial stout. acidic on the tongue
D - disapointing taste & body. wouldn't want another one

05-05-2010 03:09:18 | More by jmdrpi
david131

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

A- A deep, dark brown liquid with some light coming through at the edges. The brown head is thin and settles to a a slightly splotchy covering.

S- Dark chocolate, smoke, earthiness, and some oats.

T- Chocolate, smoke, and a touch of nuttiness. Sweet and a bit simple. There is a "unique" taste of concord grapes on the finish.

M- A thin body with some strange lasting flavors. A bit astringent on the finish.

D- Very thin for the style. Just not all that well executed and makes for a bit of a chore, which is surprising considering the reasonable alcohol content.

02-23-2011 04:41:59 | More by david131
donkeyrunner

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

via Slyph

Nice bottle art. Bonus points for pirates (as always). Opaque black with dark brown highlights. One finger Swiss Miss colored head that's quick to collar...then vanish. Looks like a glass of black iced coffee with all the ice melted.

Sweet cocoa and dark roast coffee aroma. Taste is bitter bakers chocolate, dark roast watered down iced coffee. Very little in the way of malt and mouthfeel. Watery all over, both taste and mouthfeel. Where'd the 8% go?

Too watery, not a fan.

06-01-2010 23:22:32 | More by donkeyrunner
LilBeerDoctor

2.98/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed on 3/13/2010. Bottle. Pours black with a thick light tan head. Aroma of roasted malt, bitter chocolate. Flavor of roasted malt, parmesean cheese, a touch of bitter hops. Lots of sweet malt, some medicinal notes. Meh, I could continue to drink this but it wouldn't be very enjoyable.

12-23-2010 19:46:54 | More by LilBeerDoctor
rudzud

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

Picked up on a whim at Julio's. Another let down from not doing any sluething. Been 10 days since I had a really good brew, and I cant remember the last time I bought a random beer that turned out to be really good.

A - Nice good typical stout appearance. Poured into my Duvel tulip a rich black pour with light tan one finger head that slowly fades leaving nice heavy lacing on the brew but minimal side lacing.

S - Kinda strange. Getting your usual stout aromas, not much chocolate but it is there. That being said, there is some dark ale like aromas. Dark fruits and figs are present.

T - Just like the nose, this is somewhat odd. Not really a fan of this. I'm not getting any of that nice typical roasty malt that one becomes oh so fond of when drinking a stout. Instead, I get some belgian type funky things going on. Dark fruits and funk here along with a little bit of chocolate.

M - Normal run of the mill mouthfeel though a bit on the thin side. Personally, I like my stouts, let alone imperial ones, to be nice and thick.

D - Its not that bad of a stout but the addition of some belgian qualities is unexpected and not exactly wanted from me. Much better stouts out there.

01-27-2011 05:59:11 | More by rudzud
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

My friend ordered this beer, and I was able to try about half of it as she didn't really care for it. The appearance was average.. a nice, thick, black color, with little to no head (which could have been due to an improper pour.) The smell was malty, bitter, and had some definite coffee/ chocolate notes. Taste was just about the same - a little on the sweet side. I think this is a pretty good beer for someone looking for a chocolate-y stout, and one that I would have again - for dessert!

03-29-2010 00:58:25 | More by alysmith4
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured into a Duvel tulip...

Pours a pitch black appearance with a small quickly disappearing head... No light is penetrating this one at all.. It's completely black..

The roasted malts dominate in this category... this actually smells more like a porter than a stout.. I don't get the richness or depth that's present in most imperial stouts..

Big dose of roasted malts up front without the chocolate in the name... Hmmm... this one seems really light for an imperial stout... If this was a porter, I'd get it... but it's not.. It's labeled an imperial stout and judged in that category, it just doesn't measure up... It's not awful or anything like that but it's not as rich or thick as it needs to be...

Overall, I was a little disappointed in this one... Nothing majorly wrong but it just doesn't do this brewery justice.. The brews they make are too good for this one to represent the brewery..

04-03-2010 05:51:38 | More by Tilley4
Metalmonk

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Head is a super-creamy tan thing, which takes awhile to transform to a crown. Liquid is the expected opaque black, although not the most abyss-like dark black of some other imperial stouts.

Aroma is...not what I expected. Dusty cocoa, even Quik chocolate milk mix further back, maybe a little black licorice and some alcohol snapping at the nostril hairs...but by far, the most prominent smell is a mineral/creek-pebble sorta deal. Stony, stiff and literally quite rocky.

Flavor is little better than the aroma. Elements of sweet cream sneak in, and the chocolate is of the bittersweet dark/baking variety...still hampered by too much mineral. Lots of roast, like a so-so variety of dark-roasted coffee bean. Lacking the depth and gooey oomph of other stouts in this general category.

Texturally, this isn't helped by the too-present carbonation, although there's a slickness and something approaching roundness that I like. But it's not the stuff of truly great double/imperial stouts.

A letdown, especially as I've tended to enjoy Clipper City's Heavy Seas series. Just not what I want out of a double/imperial stout, chocolate or no chocolate, and the chocolate fails here as well. It's not a total disaster, and there are some things being done right, but for the money and calories, there are many better options...

08-27-2010 22:51:32 | More by Metalmonk
stoutfiend27

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

bomber into the duvel tulip...decided to give this one another try when they were put on clearance for three bucks a bomber...the first one ended up as a drain pour...smelled like sewer water and tasted terrible...

a-black..three finger khaki colored head...overly fizzy on the pour..appears thin

s-bitter chocolate...sweet malt and a faint hint of roast and coffee

t-much like the nose...starts off sweet...a little milk chocolate and bitter chocolate...some roast in the middle....some tartness as well??...finishes on a thin bitter note...and that tartness lingers...

m-thin and fizzy...damn the tartness....

d-for three bucks a bomber it is acceptable when you cant make a decision i suppose but nothing i would ever go out of way to get..

05-31-2010 23:34:29 | More by stoutfiend27
HURTemHIZZY

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a deep brown with a good amount of red and golden highlights easily noticeable. Not as dark or opaque as I would prefer. One and a half finger tan head takes a while to dissipate but leaves no lacing. Smell is bittersweet chocolate, coffee, burnt grains, and some bitterness from hops that I wasn't expecting.

Taste is pretty weak on the malt side, with thin bittersweet chocolate being the main player, and coffee and toasted grains being noticed slightly. Slight hop bitterness. Disappointing. Mouthfeel is far too thin for the style. Easily drinkable, but not all that easily enjoyable.

10-11-2010 15:13:18 | More by HURTemHIZZY
cpetrone84

3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

A-pours a dark brown liquid with a somewhat dense tan colored head that fizzles away a little quick and leaves no lace

S-dark chocolate right up front followed by a taste of crème brule. Roasted coffee hints in the back, slightly burnt.

T-off taste of crème and a good bit of dark chocolate, notes of vanilla and burnt coffee towards the back.

M-very smooth and creamy with a good thick and chewy body. It is a good full body but the carbonatoin is quite low. It is very limited in the back but does just enough to let you know its there.

D-funky taste of crème and chocolate that doesn't quite sit that well with me. Its pretty big and thick which is nice; the flavors aren't bad they just seem a little off.

04-02-2010 01:59:36 | More by cpetrone84