Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin - Heavy Seas Beer

Maryland, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: mcallister on 07-28-2010

In the most worthy of pumpkin patches and during the silence of the midnight hour, the Greater Pumpkin raises up and pours a rich deep and burnished orange color. Heady aromas of bourbon, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and clove linger seductively over the thick white head of this tremendous brew. Its love at first sip as the full malt body, dominated by British crystal malt, brown sugar and pumpkin, slowly washes over your tongue. Bourbon barrel aging rounds out the flavors with notes of oak, vanilla, and bourbon. Pairs well with crisp autumn weather, crunchy fallen leaves, and the knowledge that your kids will be asleep soon so you can raid their Halloween candy bags.
4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

Poured a hazy orange with an unbelievable nose. If I could rate higher on the smell, I would. Pumpkin, peppermint, american oak come to mind. Taste was delish and mouthfeel was right on. Shared this with friends (poured 4 ways) and I wish I had the whole bottle to myself. I true jewel!

4.78/5  rDev +23.5%

This is more evidence of what some time in the woods can do for improving character. This is a completely different creature from its Great pumpkin sibling. It pours cloudy orange and has a fair amount of head. The Bourbon is very evident in the first sip and combined with the pumpkin spices it has a flavor much like egg nog. The smell is very spicy still much like pumpkin pie. It has a bit more of an boozy feel then the great pumpkin, which I like. In my oppinion this is probably my favorite pumpkin beer (when I had the great pumpkin I was debating whether I liked it more or Dogfish's punkin ale) as of now this is the best.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 edition, 22 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a beautiful amber color, specked with orange highlights, topped with two fingers of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic! Lots of candied pumpkin and ginger with strong notes of clove, cinnamon and brown sugar, along with some subtle notes of wood and vanilla. Due to the aging in bourbon barrels, and the high ABV, there’s some alcohol in the nose as well.

Taste: Tons of roasted pumpkin, candied ginger and cinnamon, followed by some wood, vanilla, clove, caramel-like sweetness, and finished with some notes of bourbon from the barrel the beer was aged in. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied to slightly chewy. Very smooth as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 10.0%, and with the aging in bourbon barrels, there is quite a bit of alcohol on the palate, imparting a pleasant warmth in the mouth.

Overall: This is a remarkable beer! I love the candied pumpkin and ginger flavor as well as the blended bourbon and vanilla flavors. Very, very good! I’m getting two bottle so this at least next year, one to drink right away, and one or two to age. Delicious!

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

The best pumpkin beer out there, and it's an ass-kicker too. Great spices and cloves in the taste, but you get a wonderful dose of malt and bourbon flavors as well. Sip this, get warm from the alcohol, and enjoy a nice evening in the fall with this beer.

4.73/5  rDev +22.2%

Delicious and dangerous: Poured from a 22 bomber into my Chimay Goblet

A- Orange/brownish....definitely a little darker than the great pumpkin.

S- Awesome! Sweet pumpkin pue with cinnamin and nutmeg. The burbon barrels adds a slight congac hint. Impressive

T- Awesome! A punch of pumpkin and spice with that burbon hint right in the middle. Finishes with the feel of just swallowing a piece of pumpkin pie with cool whip on it (Pie is just not pie without a dollup of coo-wHip)

M- Maybe could be a bit better. You can feel the alcohol content with it sitting on the palate, but neverhteless its a great one

D- I want to have 2-3 per night....i can afford 1-2 per month

4.64/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Poured from the bottle with a very thin, offwhite head, which quickly evaporated to a collar... over a completely opaque, turbid pumpkin color... with little traces of carbonation working its way up the sides of the glass.

S- The aroma is an incredibly complex combination of graham- cracker-like malt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, which is met with a wonderful compliment of bourbon and vanillin (presumably from oak). Some very mild vinous notes in the background. Just a tremendous amount of stuff happening here in this nose...

T- In the mouth you get this malt character, that again comes through with a slight impression of graham cracker... which is met with moderate, well-proportioned dose of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. On the mid palate, you have a mild surge of vanilla and bourbony flavor... which turns to a moderate hop bitterness into the finish, which terminates with a kiss of booze that lingers tremendously on the palate. I truly appreciate the amazing complexity of this brew in the flavor profile... and nowhere do I feel that one component of this symphony overpowers any other element. The ability to maintain such a dynamic yet balanced flavor is worthy of a '5'.

M- Medium-plus body, with a fair amount of texture due to unattenuated sugars and a very gentle, yet pervasive carbonation. Just a tiny hint of heat from the EtOH. And a very mild astringency.

D- This stuff is just too delicious... and dangerously quaffable. Hands-down one of the best brews I've had from Heavy Seas!

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My favorite pumpkin beer which is surprising since I am not usually a huge fan of bourbon barrel aging. Heavy Seas does a great job with balancing the pumpkin and bourbon flavors so that neither dominates the other.

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%

EDIT: It seems as though I got a bottle of last year's batch, by some fantastic stroke of fortune. Over the fresh version, aging has improved it astronomically.

Thin whitish head, orangey hazy body. Some lacing.

Nicest pumpkin beer I've ever had the joy to nose. Pumpkin, nutmeggy spice, and a heavy helping of bourbony oak.

Holy cow; the taste absolutely lives up to the nose. Fantastic imperial pumpkin ale with heavy, heavy oaking presence. This bottle may have been from last year, which will only help it. There's a faint alcohol burn, but I don't mind in the least.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard and totally second fiddle to everything else. I don't notice it, so it must be all right.

Even if you don't like (or don't think you'll like) pumpkin beers, if you've ever enjoyed a bourbon-barrel aged imperial stout, you'll love this beer. I guarantee it.

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. Fairly sure this was bottled Fall 2010. Aged in bourbon barrels.

A: Unfiltered hazy brown-orange. Bubbles rise sustaining an inch of head. Translucent.

S: Holy hell. It smells fantastic. Huge pumpkin dominates. Spices are a serious undertone, completely avoiding artificiality and reminding me strongly of pumpkin pie. A bit of bourbon might come through as caramel sweetness.

T: What. It tastes like pumpkin eggnog that was spiced and liquored up. I would think this at Christmas or-- who am I kidding? I would drink this anytime. Deep, complex, tasty, creamy, pleasant, and spicy-titillating. Undeniable pumpkin pie with a bit of alcoholic burn...bourbon alright, or maybe rum. Slightly thin in feel, but never in flavour. Tentative carbonation.

O: One of the best pumpkin ales I've encountered. Maybe the best. It's perhaps a little strong, but the booziness gives it a layered complexity that I think improves the overall effect. Recommended, if you can find one. I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled.

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It pours orange with clouding, a nice head and lacing. There are aromas of cinnamon, allspice, clove, and pumpkin. It has initial flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, allspice, then the bourbon becomes evident with brown sugar and oak. It has alcohol warming and bourbon characters on the palate. It is a complex, but extremely well done brew.

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

On-tap at Lost Dog (Col. Pike) in Arlington. From notes made on 10/12/11

A - hazy orange color, nice head retention, good lacing

S - smooth pumpkin smell, sweetness, slightly malty

T - nice pumpkin flavors balanced with notes of Bourbon. Bready malt flavors in the background

M - medium bodied, smooth with noticable Bourbon alcoholic heat aftertaste.

O - heavy seas' greater pumpkin is a unique and great take on your traditional pumpkin ale. I'm all about aging pumpkin ales in bourbon barrels now!

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

The Heavy Seas (from Clipper City) already produces one of my favorite pumpkin beers, "The Great Pumpkin." They then take that awesome brew, age it in spent bourbon barrels, and call it "The Great'er Pumpkin." I've heard about this one for a few years now, but never had the opportunity to pick one up. This year it was released in the CT market, and we made sure to get some!

The Great'er Pumpkin pours a slightly hazy, burnt-orange, almost rusty color. It's a little darker than I remember the Great Pumpkin being, but I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart just by looking at them. The foam is pretty thick at first, but fades pretty quickly. I'm surprised at how much white foam there is at first, because this Great'er Pumpkin checks in at 9% abv, making it one of the stronger pumpkin beers this year.

The nose is awesome; filled with all kinds of pumpkin pie spices, I'm getting cinnamon, nutmeg, and I can't help but think of ginger for some reason. There's a mild amount of pumpkin aromas too, but it's hidden behind a substantial amount of alcohol esters.

Wow, once I take a sip, I am impressed! This is gorgeously spicy, a bit malty sweet, a little pumpkiny, and quite boozy. It's pretty much everything I like in a beer. Now, it's not nearly as heavy in the pumpkin as some others out there, but the spice is great, and I honestly love that little bit of a boozy nature. The alcohol isn't over-powering, but there's enough of it that you definitely notice it. I think I'd like to see a touch more pumpkin, but otherwise, I love this beer!

Well I'm getting down to the last few pumpkin beers to try this year, and the Heavy Seas "The Great'er Pumpkin" has really set the bar high. I think tomorrow night might be the time for the Pumking, and we'll see if it holds it's own again this year.

mild intoxicating booze aroma

Velvety smooth bourbon pallete

hoppy afterbite. The best pumpkin beer Ive ever experienced and I am not a pumpkin fan at all. Excellent job on the aging of this ale

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Pumpkin ales make autumn better!
This review combines my 2011 review (the first time I tried it) and my 2013 review (which was an amazing improvement on the 2011 version).

A: medium orange, creamy head that thins quickly - look, it's translucent deep orange with a tan head - how else should a strong pumpkin ale look?

S: cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, pumpkin, bourbon (how can you go wrong?). Strong.

T: sweet, but not too sweet - you taste what you smell: all the pumpkin pie tastes shift around with notes of bourbon, caramel, and ale. Boozy. 2013 version was a cleaner and leaner model. tight pumpkin flavors and an air of sophistication brought about by the bourbon. Suggestions of caramel, vanilla, and airy wood.

M: lightly carbonated, clean finishing, mild alcohol taste. Seems like all pumpkin ales warm very nicely. Rich. Toned down textures and weight in the 2013 release improve the mouthfeel and finish - the bourbon breathed easier and the finish was far drier.

O: WOW - I have found a pumpkin ale on par with Pumking and Smashed Pumpkin (my other faves so far) - Heavy Seas (the "greater pumpkin" version) is smack-dab in the middle in terms of tone and mouthfeel, but set apart due to the bourbon aspect - a slightly more enjoyable drink for fans of bourbon and imperial stouts. the 2013 eclipsed the aforementioned beers, taking full benefit of whatever changes may have been made to the recipe.

Clipper City Brewing has crafted a beer that is amazing. It has some of the syrupy-sweetness of Pumking, and some of the crispness of Smashed Pumpkin - throw in the bourbon accents and you have a flavorful pumpkin ale. Heavy Seas rolls with a bangin' (newly upgraded (from 9.0))10.0 abv, and that's got to be hard to beat. Get one if you see it.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

No disrespect to those who have reviewed this tasty delight before me, but this beer is being severely underrated, and under appreciated. Some of the previous "B" reviews have hinted that the parts of the beer (bourbon, rich pumpkin, restrained spice) may need time to coalesce, without seeing the process through. No need to wait until next Halloween! Pop this bad boy open now! Then throw it back on ice and wait an hour or two. Maybe sip on a delicous fresh HS/CC Great Pumpkin and enjoy the bright, fleshy, not-over spiced, pumpkin driven pumpkin goodness of their ready to drink un-aged offering as you wait.
Then get ready to enjoy a creamier, richer, bourbon-tinged treat. The boozeiness diminishes as the Greater Pumpkin has time to breathe, and the bold flavors find time to integrate.. you'll think you made the perfect pumpkin bourbon float.
This stuff is legit!
Just give it some time... in the cellar &/or simply w/ some air!

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

This brew is great stuff. Everything I hoped it would be an more. It has an excellent malty base built into the base beer and the bourbon barrel vanilla and slight oak play off the subtle pumpkin pie spices superbly. Very Well Done!

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

This beer poured out as a very nice looking orange color with a thin white head on top. The head fades mostly and leaves just a touch of lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer is very nice, it's got a near perfect balance of spicy pumpkin aromas mixed with the bourbon and vanilla on the nose. The taste is similar to the smell, lots of spice with a wonderful balance of vanilla and bourbon notes. The mouthfeel is creamy with a heavy body and a moderate carbonation to it. Overall I thought this beer was great, I would enjoy this one over and over during the fall season.

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

On-tap at the Porter in Atlanta.

Pours an almost opaque orange-amber color with a one-finger cream-colored head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of large amounts of spices - nutmeg and cinnamon - with fresh pumpkin seeds. Also present are hints of butterscotch and even lighter hints of vanilla.

Tastes very good. Medium malt flavors with good amounts of heavy pumpkin flavors kick things off. Joining in shortly thereafter are deep spices as in the aroma. Midway through the sip slight amounts of butterscotch flavors work their way into things, fading out into smooth bourbon flavors that carry through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was very impressed with this beer and even more impressed that the bourbon was as subtle as it was. A very well done beer that's well worth a shot, especially as the weather cools.

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

This will be an odd review. This just came into my store recently so im going to mention this as a 2012 version of the great'er pumpkin. I tasted this beer twice from the same bottle and had differing opinions between the two tastings. I have purchased two bottles because of the rarity. From the initial opening it maintained the boozy aspect that you would expect from the bourbon barrel soaking. I was very dissatisfied initially because I felt like I was drinking bourbon with pumpkin beer flavoring added and it just wasn't a satisfying taste. After which I fell asleep for a couple hours and woke up later. Once I tried it again after it having sat out in the open air for a bit did it finally seem to balance out. The boozy notes of bourbon seemed to settle and a beautiful balance emerged. Now I am fully impressed with the style of the beer and am probably more likely to enjoy it again. If I had finished it before leaving it in the open air, I probably would have rated it alot lower than what i am giving it now. Overall I wonder if this beer would work well leaving it to age before drinking. But it is definitely something worth trying. A- overall, but only because I have yet to fully appreciate the bourbon flavoring.

Ap- Seems like a normal pumpkin beer (darker orange)

Sm- Smells like bourbon and pumpkin spice

Ta - Tasted like bourbon and pumpkin spice

MF - Smooth.

Ov - Bourbon seems to weaken over time esp in open air. Do not wait longer than I did to drink it, After so long the beer will go totally flat. I was very lucky that i didnt wake up after I did. The beer was timed perfectly from absolute random luck. (~5-6 hours later) FYI the bottle was 2/3s poured into a pilsner glass. Very little surface area from the brew. The rest was still sitting in the bottle, I constantly poured the remaining amount to try to obtain a bit of foam before drinking.

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

Color: sits a slightly dark copper or burnished orange with some sediment

Smell: awesome. good spicing thats well balanced with the usual wood, vanilla and bourbon aromas with a little alcohol to give it soul. very pleasing. like the perfect holiday potpourri

Taste: aromas translate well into the taste. good balance of spicing and bourbon cask flavors. alcohol makes an obvious appearance but, again, in balance

Mouthfeel: smooth low-full body with low carbonation

Notes: fantastic pumpkin seasonal. they prove that bourbon barrel aging a pumpkin beer works extremely well. delicious.

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Cloudy, some bubbles, lots of sediment. Orangey-brown. Some firm off-white head.

S: Really good. Lots of pumpkin and spices followed by an alcoholy sweetness that is the bourbon.

T: Whoa. Very tasty. It tastes so ... festive. Pumpkin and alcohol - bourbon shines through. Lots of dark, wintry spices like nutmeg.

M: Unfortunately the mouthfeel is kind of disappointing. Rather thin and little creamy and hint of carbonation. I can't tell if it's actually not very good or just not compared to the magnitude of flavor and other awesomeness that is this beer.

O: Very delicious. I love it. I'd definitely have another and recommend you go get one now.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Greater Pumpkin, bottle bought at Whole Foods Chelsea in NYC for $11.99 plus tax. Way pricey but I love this beer. Have had it on cask (first at Max's in B'more and then at Pony in NYC) and on tap (at Pony). My first time on a bottle...

Appearance: Poured into my Lost Abbey snifter, The Greater pours freely and happy, delivering a deep-orange beer with barely a finger of head that dies almost immediately. Some lacing, though, but not great retention. About average looks overall.

Smell: Shines! Fleshy pumpkin, hoppy bitterness, sharp bourbon, barrel and booze... this has got it all. Plus some floral tones and spice, hoppy finish.

Taste: Follows nose, with a smooth pumpkin flavor drenched in bourbon. Spice, cinnamon. Tangy-tingly finish, feels like Christmas!

Mouthfeel: Smooth and bourbon-y, reminds me of drinking Elijah Craig or Evan Williams without the burn. Low carbonation, medium body and flavor. Beautiful all around, well-balanced.

Overall: Is this a complex beer? Maybe not... heck, it is all about the pumpkin and the bourbon! But I love it nonetheless. Drinkable, delicious, autumn-y, beautiful. And- different! Yeah. On cask, even better.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Sam Adams glass.

At the outset, I'll say this beer is going to be love it or hate it. I, for one, love it.

Pours a pale orange, nothing shocking here. Film of white covers the brew throughout, with little lacing. Lots of floaties.

Nice aroma here. Not as boozy as I expected. There's a good deal of pumpkin patch in the aroma, with little spices.

Taste is just what I was hoping. They held back on the spices, and some true pumpkin flavors come through. The pumpkin flavor is mellow yet savory, the way pumpkin should be. Of course, this beer is a young bourbon barrel, and as such, it's a bit hot. And the bourbon adds booze, but just a touch of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is solid. It's a little sticky, but not unpleasantly.

Good stuff here, although I can imagine that there will be a lot of folks who outright hate this. It's hot and minimally spiced, so as pumpkin ales go, it might be lacking the expected flavor profile for some. I dig it, though, and imagine it will cellar quite well.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had the GABF 2013 Rum Barrel aged version and I loved it. Not usually a big fan of barrel aging, especially bourbon or whiskey (as this beer usually is) as the liquor usually takes over too much for my taste. Using the sweeter Rum, and already being a fan of pumpkin beer, it was the best thing I tasted at the festival. Been looking for a Rum aged beer for awhile and this was a great first impression of using Rum for a sweet sample of awesomeness.

4.36/5  rDev +12.7%

Very very good pumpkin beer. If you're a fan of these kinds of beer than plz at least do me the favor and try this one. I happened to come across a whole case of these in almost April and let's just say I'll b buying the whole thing. Anyone who likes weyerbacher pumpkin ale will love this it tastes similar but packs more of a punch.

Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin from Heavy Seas Beer