Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin - Heavy Seas Beer

Maryland, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: mcallister on 07-28-2010

In the most worthy of pumpkin patches and during the silence of the midnight hour, the Greater Pumpkin raises up and pours a rich deep and burnished orange color. Heady aromas of bourbon, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and clove linger seductively over the thick white head of this tremendous brew. Its love at first sip as the full malt body, dominated by British crystal malt, brown sugar and pumpkin, slowly washes over your tongue. Bourbon barrel aging rounds out the flavors with notes of oak, vanilla, and bourbon. Pairs well with crisp autumn weather, crunchy fallen leaves, and the knowledge that your kids will be asleep soon so you can raid their Halloween candy bags.
Ratings: 640 | Reviews: 204
4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

This beer poured out as a very nice looking orange color with a thin white head on top. The head fades mostly and leaves just a touch of lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer is very nice, it's got a near perfect balance of spicy pumpkin aromas mixed with the bourbon and vanilla on the nose. The taste is similar to the smell, lots of spice with a wonderful balance of vanilla and bourbon notes. The mouthfeel is creamy with a heavy body and a moderate carbonation to it. Overall I thought this beer was great, I would enjoy this one over and over during the fall season.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

I had heard amazing reviews from various sources before purchasing this brew. I expected a not overpowering pumpkin ale with a boozy twist. Now, I cannot say that I have the most refined palette, but what I tasted was a beer with a shot or two of bourbon in it. There was no appreciable pumpkin flavor. I wasn't expecting to be punched in the face with pumpkin like you might expect in a Shipyard, but I also wasn't expecting to get kicked in the balls with bourbon.

In my opinion, this is a better than average beer. It is obvious that Heavy Seas is trying to do something interesting that would be beyond the capabilities of most home brewers. I found this to be something I might serve via tasters to an interested group. I cannot imagine drinking more than one of these in a sitting. The overpowering bourbon flavor brought down what might otherwise be a complex and entirely enjoyable beer. I enjoyed the body, color, and the pumpkin spice aroma.

Overall it's worth a try, but generally the pumpkin beer money could be better spent on a Southern Tier Pumking.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Out of a bomber from Habersham Beverage in Savannah.

One of my favorite fall seasonals, a creamy pumpkin ale that is pretty drinkable despite the heavy alcohol. Not as spicy as the Great Pumpkin. The bourbon flavor is very forward, and slightly over takes the spices, but leaves a nice pumpkin crust finish. Well worth a try if you like full, barrel aged ales.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Stuck inside during the great Frankenstorm... seems like the perfect time to review some beer!

I poured the Greater Pumpkin into a chalice style glass. On the pour I get about two fingers of foam, but that dies down pretty quickly. The coloring is a deep orange.

I can smell this beer aroma is reaching me from a few feet away. You immediately get a bunch of pumpkin. You can also pick up the bourbon at the edges.

The flavor is really hot. It is over-whelming. You get a ton of alcohol in this. The pumpkin really comes out. I feel like this could get better with aging.

4.29/5  rDev +10%

Review from a 1 year old cellared bottle. Great'er Pumpkin pours a hazy orange amber with a small creamy white head. The foam dissolves quickly leaving behind a few spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is malty with a touch of tartness. Caramel, bubblegum. oak, vanilla and bourbon are blended with green apple and some medicinal alcohol.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is syrupy with mild carbonation. The flavor is rich and sweet with a touch of tartness. Caramel malt followed by oak, vanilla, bourbon and dark fruit are followed by some green apple tartness. It finishes with a taste of cinnamon with lingering oak and tart flavors.

This is a very tasty beer that's easy to drink for 9% abv.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

I do like my J.D., so when I saw this in Wegman's Collegeville PA I had to try it! It is a really lovely color, a coppery orange-brown, and fairly strong bourbon nose. The bourbon for me overpowered the overall taste a little, and also had a bit of the "hot" quality. But as I said I do like my bourbon as well as my beer, and I like pumpkin too! I'd like to taste a little more pumpkin and maybe a little more spice (not more cloves though). That doesn't take away from the brilliant idea of pairing the taste of bourbon with pumpkin and spice, all in a beverage that can be enjoyed in more than one tiny sip at a time. Great job! I'm going back for more tomorrow.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle thanks to runner440. poured into a tulip.

Pour: Nice copper orange with two fingers off light, light tan head. Leaves some pretty nice lacing and the head hangs around.

Smell: Really great bourbon, cinnamon, and pumpkin puree on the nose. Not booze, some caramel, but pretty darn clean.

Taste: This beer is delicious. Great pumpkin flavors, moderated by a delicious bourbon vanilla. Cinnamon and baking spice augment.

Mouthfeel: Where this beer excels. I expected this to be hot as shit, but it's very subdued and delicious. Incredibly creamy.

Overall: Really impressed. This beer gets less credit than it deserves.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

22oz bottle from Minks (Marietta, GA). 7.99. No bottling info but it is the 2012 vintage. Served in a large snifter.

Pours vibrant deep orange with three quarter finger pale head that fades quickly. No lacing.

Smells of vanilla, bourbon, mild spice, graham cracker and a hint of pumpkin. Strong booze as well.

Taste kicks off with bold bourbon and progresses to vanilla, unsweetened pumpkin pie, wet oak, stale graham cracker and a bunch of booze. While my description may not sound appetizing, it's actually pretty good. The alcohol bite can be distracting but I just play it off as the bourbon.

Medium full bodied with mild carbonation.

An interesting variation of the ever popular fall seasonal pumpkin brew. I haven't tried the base beer but I'm not sure it's quite enough to stand up to the bourbon barrel aging. The woodsy bourbon is nice but the pumpkin kind of gets lost in the mix. Still, a pretty good value as far as barrel aged imperials go and I don't regret the purchase.

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

Bright jewel tone color, saturated dark orange. Long lasting head of creamy foam, never breaks after the first few sips. Irregular spotty lacing.

Huge roasted pumpkin aroma, sweet like pumpkin pie, crust and all. Not overly "spicy" and no overt bourbon in the nose, but there is a nice mellow dose of vanilla and nutmeg.

Medium bodied with a little bit of bourbon heat behind it, lingering pumpkin and pie spice flavors. Slightly nutty, vanilla from the bourbon, and a hint of the whiskey barrel at room temperature. Nicely melded, really enjoyable, slightly boozy. Would seek this out again.

Thanks Chris for sharing this one!

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

This will be an odd review. This just came into my store recently so im going to mention this as a 2012 version of the great'er pumpkin. I tasted this beer twice from the same bottle and had differing opinions between the two tastings. I have purchased two bottles because of the rarity. From the initial opening it maintained the boozy aspect that you would expect from the bourbon barrel soaking. I was very dissatisfied initially because I felt like I was drinking bourbon with pumpkin beer flavoring added and it just wasn't a satisfying taste. After which I fell asleep for a couple hours and woke up later. Once I tried it again after it having sat out in the open air for a bit did it finally seem to balance out. The boozy notes of bourbon seemed to settle and a beautiful balance emerged. Now I am fully impressed with the style of the beer and am probably more likely to enjoy it again. If I had finished it before leaving it in the open air, I probably would have rated it alot lower than what i am giving it now. Overall I wonder if this beer would work well leaving it to age before drinking. But it is definitely something worth trying. A- overall, but only because I have yet to fully appreciate the bourbon flavoring.

Ap- Seems like a normal pumpkin beer (darker orange)

Sm- Smells like bourbon and pumpkin spice

Ta - Tasted like bourbon and pumpkin spice

MF - Smooth.

Ov - Bourbon seems to weaken over time esp in open air. Do not wait longer than I did to drink it, After so long the beer will go totally flat. I was very lucky that i didnt wake up after I did. The beer was timed perfectly from absolute random luck. (~5-6 hours later) FYI the bottle was 2/3s poured into a pilsner glass. Very little surface area from the brew. The rest was still sitting in the bottle, I constantly poured the remaining amount to try to obtain a bit of foam before drinking.

4.29/5  rDev +10%

A- pours viscous with a short ecru head. The foam that's there is bubbly and active and leaves minuscule spots of lace behind. Not surprising considering the abv and the spices. Body is an auburn color with bright orange highlights and relatively clear, but this is the first half of the bottle.

S- still cold, it smells of heavy nutmeg. I like that. Cinnamon, brown sugar and loads of whiskey barrel aromas follow up with an alluring vanilla and punkin pie profile. Tartness comes into play as well, and makes for a very well rounded nose thanks to the bourbon and charred wood. This one is earthy sweet, with a great balance of spice to counteract the sugars. Notes of buttered rum come through easily as it warms with date and fig and over-ripened berries.

T- pumpkin pie WITH the pie crust. I've never had a pumpkin beer that strikes a balance between sweet/salty/sour/bitter but this does it. Malty sweetness with an earthy sweetness and tannins from the oak paired with a hint of bitterness from the spices does the trick. Cinnamon, clove, maaaad nutmeg, mace, vanilla, tobacco, cured wood and sour wood. Soil and mushroom, all backed up by the buttery sweet aroma with a fruity kick. Alcohol is there in a spiced rum sort of way adds to the flavor. Finishes like speyside scotch with burn and lingering fruity and peppercorn notes.

MF- the combination of alcohol and tight, zippy carbonation stings the palate, opening craters for the flavor to sink into. Barrel aging has definitely benefitted here as the tannins provide a spark to lift the sugary feeling. Idk if it is bottle conditioned but knowing clipper city and feeling the sandpaper, it probably is. Much love to em.

D- being a "big beer" and considering my notions of pumpkin ale, this shit is off the chain. Barrel aging sells it to me but even without that I believe this would be a stellar spiced ale. I'm not kickin it here all cinnamon faced either. Nutmeg and brown sugar are up front, although the brown sugar could be elements of the vanilla flavors from the wood. Either way, it's a banger.

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to Dana for sharing this beer.

The beer pours a nice orange color with a very small fizzy ring of head with littl lacing, has a sort of thin look but a nice shade.

The aroma is pretty nice but doesn't jump out of the glass like you would hope for, though it doesn't smell bad. Seems pretty thin in aroma actually the more I try to smell in there. Some boubon and spices rise out of the glass, obvious pumpkin pie aromas like cinnamon and clove though they are still pretty subtle and then a nice blanket of sweet and oak vanilla bourbon flavors.

The taste is quite nice though, the flavors mingle together very nicely. The bourbon is not overpowering but accompanies the spices and malts of the pumpkin base beer very nicely, it has a warm and endearing quality. Has a cereal like flavor to the malts. Very flavorful and elegant flavored beer.

The mouthfeel is medium and has just th slightest little warmth of alcohol although again it is not overpowering. Good carbonation, wish maybe it had a little bit of a thicker feel.

Overall a very nice beer, better than most of the pumpkin beer out there in my opinion.

3.62/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 Bottle aged for a year in the fridge.

Pours a dark amber color with a thin ring of tan foam around the outside of the glass that recedes to leave some pretty decent lacing on the glass.

Aromas are quite intense with tons of bourbon, quite a bit of booze along with the usual oak and vanilla. As it warms you get a lot of pumpkin pie spices as well; including cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.

The tastes begin with a great deal of sweet vanilla. Fairly sweet, but the oaky bourbon flavors helps to mitigate that a bit. As it warms the intense cinnamon and nutmeg flavors do an even better job of this.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low-medium carbonation. Finish is pretty darn sweet and boozy, which is suprising given the year of age.

OveralI, I chose to age this because I heard it was farily intense upon the release and it it still so after a year. The bourbon and spices are just overdone causing an intense flavor profile is just hard to really enjoy. I don't mind aging beers for more than a year but a pumpkin beer doesnt fit that MO for me

First off, i am drinking this bottle 8 months after it's release.

Color is a golden hue, lighter then i was anticipating, not much lacing or head at all, drops out right away.
The aroma is sweet pumpkin pie, wood, and alcohol. I would have liked more spice notes.
The flavors are rounded smooth pumpkin sweetness and a light woody alcohol. Little spice, really little bourbon character.

I enjoy pumpkin beers, but i like more spice then this one. This one was also probably better fresh when the bourbon was stronger.

2.31/5  rDev -40.8%

Review adapted from notes taken 11/12/11

Appearance: Hazy, but mostly clear - dark orange - little white head that doesn't stick around for long, average lacing

Smell: Straight-up bourbon, with a side of bourbon - some pumpkin flesh underneath - a ton of the usual pumpkin pie spices - nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, clove, ginger - some sweetness, tons of alcohol - it's like someone hollowed out a pumpkin pie and filled it with bourbon

Taste: Absurd, with so much bourbon - borderline more bourbon than beer - tons of wood, tons of alcohol - underneath this assault, there are some cooked malts and pumpkin - pumpkin pie spices everywhere - a vegetal sweetness, but mostly dry - totally unbalanced, way too much bourbon

Mouthfeel: Medium body, on the thin side considering the harsh flavor, adequate carbonation

Overall: In a word, harsh

I thought a touch of bourbon would do good things to a pumpkin beer. And maybe it would. This beer throws so much bourbon into the equation that it is nearly incomprehensible. And this beer may or may not have made me need to vomit.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Out of a bottle purchased at Hopheads this beer was a hazy orange color with a thin layer of white head. The retention was not very good but it did leave some streaks of lacing throughout the sample. The aroma was an appealing blend of pumpkin, spices, booze, caramel malt and hints of toasted nuts. The flavors were good and definitely put it amongst one of the best pumpkin beers I’ve had. It was doubtlessly boozy right from the beginning with notes of bourbon and vanilla but beyond that first wave was the pumpkin and spices one would expect followed by the subtle notes of caramel and butterscotch. I suspect this beer would age really well because I felt the strong booze notes were quashing some of the potential complexity. The mouthfeel was good, the body medium/full and the carbonation on-point. A “big” beer but a good one and exactly what I’d expect from Heavy Seas.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

The Heavy Seas (from Clipper City) already produces one of my favorite pumpkin beers, "The Great Pumpkin." They then take that awesome brew, age it in spent bourbon barrels, and call it "The Great'er Pumpkin." I've heard about this one for a few years now, but never had the opportunity to pick one up. This year it was released in the CT market, and we made sure to get some!

The Great'er Pumpkin pours a slightly hazy, burnt-orange, almost rusty color. It's a little darker than I remember the Great Pumpkin being, but I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart just by looking at them. The foam is pretty thick at first, but fades pretty quickly. I'm surprised at how much white foam there is at first, because this Great'er Pumpkin checks in at 9% abv, making it one of the stronger pumpkin beers this year.

The nose is awesome; filled with all kinds of pumpkin pie spices, I'm getting cinnamon, nutmeg, and I can't help but think of ginger for some reason. There's a mild amount of pumpkin aromas too, but it's hidden behind a substantial amount of alcohol esters.

Wow, once I take a sip, I am impressed! This is gorgeously spicy, a bit malty sweet, a little pumpkiny, and quite boozy. It's pretty much everything I like in a beer. Now, it's not nearly as heavy in the pumpkin as some others out there, but the spice is great, and I honestly love that little bit of a boozy nature. The alcohol isn't over-powering, but there's enough of it that you definitely notice it. I think I'd like to see a touch more pumpkin, but otherwise, I love this beer!

Well I'm getting down to the last few pumpkin beers to try this year, and the Heavy Seas "The Great'er Pumpkin" has really set the bar high. I think tomorrow night might be the time for the Pumking, and we'll see if it holds it's own again this year.

3.49/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottle shared at the December iteration of the Santa Cruz tasting series. Dark orange color. Peppermint and cinnamon aroma, very wintery, pumpkin pie plus spices. Smooth pumpkin sweetness, big spice notes, too much nutmeg/cinnamon. Didn’t get any bourbon. Dial down the spices, dial up the squash and the booze.

4.01/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Pours a dark orange with a finger of off-white head that recedes into a thin layer with little lacing.

S: Some pumpkin spices up front followed by vanilla, oak, and a surprising tart aroma that is reminiscent of tart cherries. Smooth bourbon aromas bring up the finish with some slight yam notes. Quite nice.

T: Spices up front again followed by a fairly strong kick of bread and bourbon. Vanilla and oak are mixed in as well with a slightly bitter finish and pumpkin showing up on the aftertaste. Light alcohol burn.

M: Medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer could benefit from a creamier body to compliment the bourbon aspects.

O: A pretty good pumpkin ale. While the bourbon does tend to dominate the pumpkin flavors, it does not completely mask them.

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%

A – Opaque ice tea apricot body. Creamy, white head has ok retention and lace.

S – Green olives dominate the nose. Bright oak and molasses play backup, but can’t stand up to the overwhelming brine.

T – Strangely, but thankfully, none of the brine makes it into the profile. Soft bourbon is restrained, sweet, and paired with a vanilla and rolling oak. Chardonay-like twang in the center. Honey and light-grade molasses balance the alcohol and oak in the finish.

M – Medium-full body. Well carbonated.

O – Outstanding flavor profile, but almost no pumpkin flavor.

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: 22oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip. Colour is a hazy-orange brown. Very thin head fades to a thin film. No visible carbonation.

Smell: Cutting spice of nutmeg, cinnamon, and pepper. Mild aromas of malt and pumpkin.

Taste: Sweet, boozy flavour, definitely from the bourbon barrels. Spices are not so strong in the taste as they are in the smell. Aftertaste is the faintest touch of peeper and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, a hint of carbonation, somewhat silky, a little sticky.

Overall: The bourbon comes off a little too strong. the sweetness compliments it well but the lack of spices in the flavour make it a little imbalanced. A very noteworthy attempt.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a nice creamy 1 finger head that fades at a med pace with a bit of lacing, over mostly clear pumpkin orange colored beer.

Nose is huge, explodes with heavy fruity pumpkin, fresh pumpkin not really pie or canned, then a light non-gourd like fruit like a sour berry kinda fruit, light holiday spices, a creamy malt with hints of caramel and toasty malt, and light bourbon to round it off which also brings light oak.

Taste starts with more bourbon, much more than the nose. A nice bourbon flavor with some buttery oak, a lot more oak as well, and hint of vanilla. Then the pumpkin but not a ton, again more like fresh pumpkin more so than pie filling or canned, with more of a juicy fruit kick but no berry this time, although maybe a hint of pear like fruit, and light spices. the fruit really starts to take over, and it's not really a pumpkin fruit just an overall fruity taste that seems to make the beer a bit too weird as it dominates. Semi sweet with a hint of booze coming through with the sweet malts, a bit creamy malt and light toasty, as well as hint of caramel. Finish is semi sweet still and sticky, little bit more warming booze and pumpkin, hints of spices and bitterness, and little more bourbon and oak.

Mouth is med to a bit heavier bodied, decent carb, some warming almost tingly booze.

Overall not bad, it has some decent bourbon and buttery oak, decent pumpkin that adds a nice flavor not canned flavor, spices are kept in check, drinkable, light bitterness, a bit too sticky and sweet esp on the finish. Nothing special but tasty and done well.

2.06/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to angrybabboon for splitting the bomber.

Appearance: Hazy orange. Bright-white head. Pours a little heavy with some decent carbonation. Minus the haze, this is what I would expect to see.

Smell: This is where things start to go wrong. Bourbon, vanilla, clove, nutmeg, and a nice splash of real pumpkin. Sweet like pumpkin pie filling. Fleshy, vegetable goodness mired in some straight bourbon. Not a lot of aroma blending going on here. It's like sniffing a shot of bourbon and then jamming your nose in pumpkin pie filling.

Taste: Sweet pie filling soaked in bourbon. It tastes like someone got drunk in the kitchen and decided to share. Vanilla and oak jam down the sweetness. Clove and nutmeg dominate the spice profile, but bourbon kicks it in the balls and says "To hell with you. I'm the king!" and promptly drops a steamy load of bottom shelf bourbon on your tongue. Pumpkin bombs! Drop a shot of canned pumpkin in a glass of Jim Beam and you'll get the idea.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate carbonation. Drinks on the smooth side, with a hellaciously dry booze burn after every sip.

Overall: They didn't bourbon barrel age this. I think they pumpkin aged some bourbon. Seriously off balance and almost undrinkable. If I wanted to drink a glass of bourbon, I'd do it.

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%

saw this locally and had to jump at it. just looked too interesting to miss.

a - opened the bottle and filled my cbs snifter. poured a soft orange, but settled in the glass as a darker brown with a thin white bubbly head that fizzed away somewhat quickly. to the light, this beer is chunky!?!

s - nice festive spiciness of a craft store with a soft barrel. the bourbon here is more in the vein of backwoods than in various -bal stouts. smells pretty fantastic.

t - full bodied pumpkin with a slap in the face of booze. has a kind of sangria type vibe with a pumpkin twist. the booze is REALLY in your face on this one.

m - boozy tingle. full bodied. the heat is on.

o - overall, who would've guessed it...barrel aged pumpkin!?! and it works!!! overall it is good, but the alc is just intense and i never say that. enjoyable none-the-less and a must try for the fans of the pumpkins.

3.24/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a bomber into a true pint, the beer is a light, bright, yellow-copper coloring with a slim film covering of white froth. Light pumpkin sweet aromas, with only a slight spicing, and some stronger bourbon and woody overtones. Flavors are boozey right off the bat, with strong oak and bourbon highlights on the slick pumpkin flavors. The spicing is slight on the tail end, and ends up slightly overpowered by the other flavor profiles. The aftertaste is pumpkin and bourbon, which blends nicely. The finish is clean and quick, after the smooth, round body throughout drinking. I was surprised how different this brew is from the Great Pumpkin Heavy Seas offers. Tasty.

Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin from Heavy Seas Beer