Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin - Heavy Seas Beer

Maryland, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: mcallister on 07-28-2010

In the most worthy of pumpkin patches and during the silence of the midnight hour, the Greater Pumpkin raises up and pours a rich deep and burnished orange color. Heady aromas of bourbon, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and clove linger seductively over the thick white head of this tremendous brew. Its love at first sip as the full malt body, dominated by British crystal malt, brown sugar and pumpkin, slowly washes over your tongue. Bourbon barrel aging rounds out the flavors with notes of oak, vanilla, and bourbon. Pairs well with crisp autumn weather, crunchy fallen leaves, and the knowledge that your kids will be asleep soon so you can raid their Halloween candy bags.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 636 | Reviews: 203

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Did a side by side with the Greater Pumpkin. The Greater Pumpkin is the same beer aged in Bourbon Barrels.

This beer was a burnt orange with no head but a small ring around the edges. It was darker in color than the Great version.

Aroma was pumpkin and spice dominated with a little faint malt and bourbon in the background.

After the first sip I'm pretty much only picking up pumpkin. This is "spicier" and more "pumpkiny" than the Great version. The other version is much sweeter whereas this one seemed to be heavier on the nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.

Mouthfeel was a little weak, but didn't detract from the overall drinkability.

As far as the side by, to be honest, I couldn't pick up on any major differences. I think the Greater Pumpkin is a correct description, as I preferred it over the other, but again, no striking major differences.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

I had heard amazing reviews from various sources before purchasing this brew. I expected a not overpowering pumpkin ale with a boozy twist. Now, I cannot say that I have the most refined palette, but what I tasted was a beer with a shot or two of bourbon in it. There was no appreciable pumpkin flavor. I wasn't expecting to be punched in the face with pumpkin like you might expect in a Shipyard, but I also wasn't expecting to get kicked in the balls with bourbon.

In my opinion, this is a better than average beer. It is obvious that Heavy Seas is trying to do something interesting that would be beyond the capabilities of most home brewers. I found this to be something I might serve via tasters to an interested group. I cannot imagine drinking more than one of these in a sitting. The overpowering bourbon flavor brought down what might otherwise be a complex and entirely enjoyable beer. I enjoyed the body, color, and the pumpkin spice aroma.

Overall it's worth a try, but generally the pumpkin beer money could be better spent on a Southern Tier Pumking.

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft at The Tap Room, Patchogue, NY.

Pouted a murky amber hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured hot alcohol and a touch of pumpkin spice.

The taste consisted of a rindy pumpkin, booze and spice.

The mouthfeel was toward the heavier side of the style.

Overall a boozy malty experience. Not what I am looking for in a pumpkin.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

After much fanfare from friends of mine, I decided to plunk down some bucks and give this beer a try. I actually had pretty high hopes because this is the only aged pumpkin ale I've cone across yet.

Appearance: murky brown almost rusty in color with a small cap that left no lacing.

Aroma: I get a lot of wood, a lot of vanilla, plus pumpkin spice of course. I also get some dried apricot.

Taste: this is where the beer gets lost to me. Just about all I taste is vanilla and oak. There is lingering spice in there, but it is way overshadowed by the oak and the whole beer gets steered off course. In other words, it totally flew over the seasonal runway. I could drink this in February and basically think of it as a strong ale brewed with spices and aged in oak. I then may have given it better scores because I wouldn't have been thinking "pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin"

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin from Heavy Seas Beer