2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heavy Seas - The Greater Pumpkin - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - The Greater PumpkinHeavy Seas - The Greater Pumpkin

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: mcallister on 07-28-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 417 | Reviews: 175 | Show All Ratings:
oline73

Maryland

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a clear orangish amber with a half finger of off white head and decent retention.

Smell: Pumpkin pie, spices and sweet malt with some brown sugar. Definitely the best part of this beer.

Taste: It kind of follows from the smell, but doesn't live up to it. There is pumpkin and pie spice, but it gets overshadowed by the bourbon and a huge anise presence. There is some bitterness, but the spice in the finish crushed everything.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and a bit syrupy. Tingly carbonation with a slick finish.

Overall: The aftertaste just killed this beer for me. It smells wonderful, but I found myself enjoying each sip a bit less than the last. Probably won't do this one again.

09-12-2011 14:33:38 | More by oline73
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance: hazy, dull orange. Very slight head that swells on an aggressive pour and recedes to a swirl or two.
Smell: Very modest for a greater pumpkin. There's pumpkin to be sure and some spice and sweetness but much lighter than I would expect from such a bold brew.
Taste: ummm. That's more like it. Chewy pumpkin pie. Very smooth.
Overall: Very tasty, smooth drinker. Well done.

09-10-2011 21:33:55 | More by cindyjeffsmith
MarkCyrAmanda

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

It has a very appealing look right off the bat; smooth, lacy, and just the right amount of sediment. The color is a deep orange copper.

The aroma isn't overpowering, but leaves something to be desired. The association with the bourbon barrels definitely influences the fullness of the aroma, but there are notes of nutmeg and other seasonably appropriate spices.

Possesses a well-balanced malt profile and silky smooth texture. A biting astringency is conferred by the whiskey barrel aging process, giving the impression that your glass has been used previously for a whiskey drink.

The competition between the flavors of autumn and the bourbon creates a battlefield on the palate, leaving way for improvement. Balancing the sweetness and astringency with a spicy hop would turn this from a good beer to a great beer.

Overall, a wholly enjoyable beer (but it's like the Pumking's alcoholic cousin, that is difficult to tolerate in large portions).

09-10-2011 02:27:21 | More by MarkCyrAmanda
zaphodchak

4.53/5  rDev +17.4%

EDIT: It seems as though I got a bottle of last year's batch, by some fantastic stroke of fortune. Over the fresh version, aging has improved it astronomically.

Thin whitish head, orangey hazy body. Some lacing.

Nicest pumpkin beer I've ever had the joy to nose. Pumpkin, nutmeggy spice, and a heavy helping of bourbony oak.

Holy cow; the taste absolutely lives up to the nose. Fantastic imperial pumpkin ale with heavy, heavy oaking presence. This bottle may have been from last year, which will only help it. There's a faint alcohol burn, but I don't mind in the least.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard and totally second fiddle to everything else. I don't notice it, so it must be all right.

Even if you don't like (or don't think you'll like) pumpkin beers, if you've ever enjoyed a bourbon-barrel aged imperial stout, you'll love this beer. I guarantee it.

09-09-2011 03:03:43 | More by zaphodchak
Meerkey

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Cloudy, some bubbles, lots of sediment. Orangey-brown. Some firm off-white head.

S: Really good. Lots of pumpkin and spices followed by an alcoholy sweetness that is the bourbon.

T: Whoa. Very tasty. It tastes so ... festive. Pumpkin and alcohol - bourbon shines through. Lots of dark, wintry spices like nutmeg.

M: Unfortunately the mouthfeel is kind of disappointing. Rather thin and little creamy and hint of carbonation. I can't tell if it's actually not very good or just not compared to the magnitude of flavor and other awesomeness that is this beer.

O: Very delicious. I love it. I'd definitely have another and recommend you go get one now.

09-06-2011 03:01:10 | More by Meerkey
AgentMunky

4.53/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. Fairly sure this was bottled Fall 2010. Aged in bourbon barrels.

A: Unfiltered hazy brown-orange. Bubbles rise sustaining an inch of head. Translucent.

S: Holy hell. It smells fantastic. Huge pumpkin dominates. Spices are a serious undertone, completely avoiding artificiality and reminding me strongly of pumpkin pie. A bit of bourbon might come through as caramel sweetness.

T: What. It tastes like pumpkin eggnog that was spiced and liquored up. I would think this at Christmas or-- who am I kidding? I would drink this anytime. Deep, complex, tasty, creamy, pleasant, and spicy-titillating. Undeniable pumpkin pie with a bit of alcoholic burn...bourbon alright, or maybe rum. Slightly thin in feel, but never in flavour. Tentative carbonation.

O: One of the best pumpkin ales I've encountered. Maybe the best. It's perhaps a little strong, but the booziness gives it a layered complexity that I think improves the overall effect. Recommended, if you can find one. I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled.

09-06-2011 02:42:48 | More by AgentMunky
sendsilk

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received in a recent trade. 22 oz. bomber

Murky orange with little head and not much lacing on the glass. Smells very much like cinnamon, cloves and coriander. Taste is pretty spicey, fairly sweet/sugary with the bourbon chiming in but not overly so. It's pretty nice but not the pinnacle of pumpkin beers. Mouthfeel is about average (I guess) for the style. Glad I got to try it but it was just slightly too spicey for me.

09-03-2011 01:34:35 | More by sendsilk
clayrock81

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Poured a hazy auburn w/ good carbonation leading to a large head that dies slow (not much lace). The aroma is a mix of pumpkin (not overbearing), some caramel/sugary sweetness, cinnamon, spicy pepper, some bready dry malt and hints of bitter citric hop. First impression is real sweet and smooth, as a sweet pumpkin (along w/ sugar, caramel, and maybe vanilla) taste hovers over the spicy, alcoholic edge. This sweetness is thin, however, and there is a crisp, dry finish of spice and a touch of hops, plus a touch of that bourbon barrel (I think...might be power of suggestion). This finish amplifies the sweetness on the next sip so I couldn't put this beer down and overall I'd say it's nicely balanced, although some might find it too sweet.

08-25-2011 21:14:14 | More by clayrock81
jale

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Pours a cloudy orange-amber with two quarters of off white head.

S: Pumpkin aroma with a lot of nutmeg.

T: Sweet with a hint of malt upfront moving quickly into alcohol heat. Pumplin but mostly nutmeg middle. I don't pick up any bourbon but the finish is considerable oaky tannins.

M: medium body which is somewhat sticky. For a lighter beer I find this slightly chewy.

O: I would like to have tasted more malt backbone in this.

07-11-2011 23:08:34 | More by jale
Phelps

Arizona

Received as part of the Blind Beers BIF from nlmartin. Poured from a bomber into a snifter and reviewed blind.

Deep, murky tangerine looks like a sunset in a glass, thick and cloudy as orange juice. A 1.5-finger layer of creamy off-white bubbles recedes slowly, leaving behind a thick top layer.

Interesting nose. It smells like pancakes for breakfast, with hints of maple, orange, butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Sweet pumpkin, some banana esters and a slight solvency as well. Very mild tartness hovers in the background.

The flavor is very similar to the aroma, with orange peel and lots of bananas offset by cinnamon and lightly toasted bread. Subtle hints of vanilla and pumpkin in the background combine with the banana to give this beer a sweet tropical fruit juice quality. The finish is super dry, and there’s a lot of lingering ethanol. Don’t get much from the barrels, though more vanilla emerges as it warms up.

Prickly medium carbonation amidst a medium-light body. It fizzes up moderately as it moves about. The alcohol, big in the flavor, isn’t too hefty here, though there is a good amount on the tongue and a bit in the nose.

Nice example of the style. It’s got a lot of interesting flavors inside — some working in harmony, some competing with one another. The finish could be a little less dry and the solvent alcohol could be taken out of the flavor, but it’s drinkable enough.

05-13-2011 05:46:59 | More by Phelps
nickthetick

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

A: pours a clear cherry wood into a DFH signature glass with a finger of off white (the gf said eggshell, sounds good to me). The head dissipates rather quickly and the left behind bubbles cling to the glass and leaves nice little rings.

S: a bit cough syrupy, boozy and over the top. I get honey, spice and cheap bourbon notes.

T: a lot better than the nose, pumpkin spice and pumpkin, bourbon hits hard in the middle and chases the pumpkin away. The bourbon is strong but good and honey, vanilla and a menagerie of spices shines through. Caramel, vanilla and cinnamon hang on the tongue, the alcohol is noticeable but not troublesome.

MF: a bit syrupy, heavy body and light on the carbonation. Extremely warm and leaves a feeling on the tongue, like a syrup coating.

O: great beer with a sub-par "findabillity". It took me forever to find this damn beer and when it got to my nose I was a bit pissed. The nose could be better but the taste is amazing and the MF is good. I will continue to search this beer out when its released each year.

04-28-2011 01:27:50 | More by nickthetick
SchmoTerp

Alabama

2.38/5  rDev -38.3%

Always a fan of Clipper City and their Heavy Seas series, I was excited about this seasonal brew. When I finally poured this from its 22oz bottle, I was eager to take my first sip. It's appearance was solid, even with a bit of sediment floating around in the glass. The unique red-orange color paired not wholly complimentary with its equally unique smell, a pungent mix of pumpkin, spices, and citrus. Once to my lips, this beer was not for me. The taste of this beer was unbalanced. There were notes of good flavors but together this didn't mesh well. Even worse was the finish which was down right awful and got me looking for a glass of water.

This was a one time special for me.

03-12-2011 04:38:09 | More by SchmoTerp
JayS2629

Alabama

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

There are some bitter, lemony hop characteristics on the finish of this beer that seem out of place with the rest of the taste.

It pours a bright orange, pumpkin copper with a thin white ring of foam. Creamy swirls of white float on a thin film on top. Leave some thin creamy laces.

The smell is of pumpkin, hints of vanilla, allspice, and a touch cinnamon. Strong note of good bourbon.

Nice toasted malt hold its all up with hints of bourbon and oak peeking through. Follows the nose with the pumpkin and spices. Nice sweet front with a bitter, lemony hop in the breath of the finish that just didn't seem to fit. This could have been done better. The bourbon burns and fights the spice for domination. Bourbon wins. Out of balance.

The body was medium with some creamy qualities.

Its an easy drink, sweet but not cloying, and not overly spiced. The balance was done nicely, its just not my favoirte pumpkin beer.

02-21-2011 22:00:37 | More by JayS2629
billab914

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Sierra Nevada shaped glass. It poured dark orange in color with a frothy and sticky white head filling the top inch of the glass. The head faded to a thin, creamy, dusting and left just some traces of lacing as I drank it.

The aroma is very interesting with woody oak and pumpkin pie spice being the most prominent. They actually come together very well. A little bit of bourbon and vanilla come through in the barrel character as well. The spices are pretty subdued, which I like. Very nice mix of pumpkin and bourbon barrel flavors overall, and definitely one of my favorite aromas for the style.

The taste has a lot of woody oak flavors to it. The bourbon shows up more in the finish with some nice vanilla notes to it as well. Some pumpkin pie spice comes through and adds some interesting flavors to it. I get a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg in the finish, along with some pumpkin like flavors. I get a moderate herbal, hoppy, bitterness in the finish as well. Cool flavors overall and they complimented each other better then I expected.

The mouthfeel is a little above medium bodied and carbonation is on the lower side. I like the lower carbonation for a barrel aged beer. Drinkability was pretty decent. The spices mixed with the barrel flavors better then I expected, but I can't say they complimented each other as well as other styles do. Pretty drinkable, really cool and unique, and a very enjoyable pumpkin beer overall.

02-20-2011 01:53:41 | More by billab914
adamette

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Live review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at Wine and Beverage Depot in Mentor a few days ago for $8.99. No observed "best by" date or "brewed on" date. I am not sure that it matters too much with the reasonably high ABV of 9%. I have to admit being intrigued by this one by the Bourbon Barrel Aged aspect of it. Poured into my silver rimmed Orval goblet.

A VERY short lived off white head over a hazy, thick looking pumpkin colored body. The head which was barely there after a vigorous pour disappeared almost completely in 10 seconds. I really like the look of the body. 4.5

S Well, smells of a sweet malty pumpkin beer with bourbon notes. Just like I expected but intriguing none the less. I am not convinced yet, even as I am about to taste this beer, that these combinations will even work. 4.0

T Interesting. I taste probably more of the bourbon than the pumpkin but the pumpkin is certainly in there. The pumpkin is a nice subtle, authentic pumpkin and not a candy or spicy pumpkin which I find often in pumpkin beers. The bourbon tastes provide the sweet malty, burn of alcohol that you would expect but have a kind of dark caramel taste that is quite good. 4.0

M Surprisingly smooth for the elevated ABV and ultra sweetness. 4.0

D This is meant to be a sipper and it intentions are well received. I will only be able to drink the bomber but the process is enjoyable. 3.5

Notes: I can understand if this is a polarizing beer. Some will really embrace it and other will be repulsed. Actually I find that this is the case for any pumpkin beer. I came in skeptical but interested and I go out pleased with this beer.

01-23-2011 03:06:13 | More by adamette
biggred1

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Dense, deep pumpkin-orange with a creamy eggshell head that leaves pretty lace on the glass. The aroma is pumpkin spice and bourbon barrel, toasted oak notes. A creamy, custard-like pumpkin pie and whiskey barrel quality..who wouldn't like that? A toasty, oaky whisky barrel version of a pumpkin beer. Good stuff. Full bodied,oaky and sticky.

12-25-2010 03:16:29 | More by biggred1
aerozeppl

3.03/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Reddish amber color with quite a bit of stuff floating in suspension. A half finger of white head with some lacing.

S: The nose is mostly nutmeg. For a bourbon aged beer this nose is tight when it should really be bright. Not that impressed at all.

T: No bourbon at all which is a disappointment. Not much pumpkin either. More pumpkin spices which I think it a way to turn an ale into a pumpkin ale. It is not bad and there are no off flavors or anything like that but it is just kind of meh for me. The idea of a bourbon pumpkin ale really exited me but the execution left me wanting more.

M:Medium bodied. Carbonation is soft and pleasing.

D: A friend had this on cask and said it was one of the best beers that he had ever had. This was a big let down for me. I think they might have a small issue on the bottling line. Their draft beers are always remarkably better. For a big barrel aged beer this is kind of bland.

12-19-2010 21:56:53 | More by aerozeppl
LanceW

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Had this brew a "barrel aged" tasting. It ranked right in the middle of the pack for my self. There was a large amount of spice in the brew due to it being a pumpkin ale. I didn't pick up the barrel aged at first but the body was quite full and large.

Worth drinking but I believe that there is better in the 8-9 dollar bomber range.

12-05-2010 21:39:47 | More by LanceW
Mora2000

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Big thanks to Exiled for sharing this beer.

The beer pours a light orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the pumpkin and associated spices - mainly nutmeg and cinnamon. I don't get too much bourbon-aged character in the aroma.

The flavor is pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon and some oak, vanilla and whiskey notes. You can definitely tell the bourbon is there, but is more subtle than in a lot of other beers. The bourbon-aging compliments the base beer, it doesn't completely overshadow and dominate it..

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

11-27-2010 19:44:28 | More by Mora2000
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.9/5  rDev +1%

22oz. bottle served in my Darkness tulip. Pours a semi-hazy burnt-orange with a creamy, loose, one inch bright white head. Head gradually disperses into a creamy slick with some thin, but densely packed strands of lacing evident during the tasting. Nose expresses bourbon, a buttery quality, pumpkin spice aromas and a trace of citrus. Taste follows nose - pumpkin pie flavors dominate upfront; nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, followed by bourbon flavors that nicely integrate with the other elements. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to medium), with a lively carbonation, a slightly silky texture and some residual alcohol heat detectable at the finish. A very pleasant variation on the style and makes a great post-Thanksgiving digestif. That being said, 22oz. is perhaps a bit much. A 12oz. bottle split amongst two is more than satisfying.

11-27-2010 00:24:07 | More by Jwale73
elgiacomo

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, fall 2010 vintage.

Pours hazy amber/copper with a one finger off-white head that leaves good spotty lacing and holds a good cap.

Aroma is pumpkin, spices: clove, ginger, cinnamon, clove, not much bourbon on the nose although good overall strength.

Flavor is pumpkin, spices such as ginger, clove, nutmeg, a little cinnamon, fair bourbon whiskey, light vanilla, malty, light hop presence, alcohol makes an appearance, long spiced finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, medium carbonation, creamy.

Good pumpkin beer, less bourbon than expected. A big beer that needs sharing as 22oz would be too much for one person.

11-25-2010 21:51:36 | More by elgiacomo
rootbeerman

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

from notes:11-5-10

A: pours cloudy dark orange with a thin short lasting orangish white head.
S: malt sweetness with spiced pumpkins, a touch of bourbon main spices are allspice clove and a touch of cinnamon.
T: great balance between bourbon and pumpkin. nice spice blend with the pumpkin and malt.
M: slightly syrupy, coating and lingers for a long time. carbonation is low.
D: good sipper, flavors are balanced well, bourbon adds a nice touch.

11-25-2010 00:33:54 | More by rootbeerman
nlmartin

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer was served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: The body of the beer is a reddish orange coloration. The head was white and quickly resolved into a ring of foam.

Smell: The aroma of the beer has suprise vanilla bourbon, pumpkin, nutmeg, honey and cinnamon. Pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

Taste: The taste is a mixed bag for me. The bourbon vanilla barrel flavor peaks its head out of the jack - o - lantern. Meaning a fairly well balanced interplay between flavors. Was hoping for a bit more bourbon. The spice part of the beer is really well done. I have had pumpkin beers that are a giant mess due to spices. The cinnamon, nutmeg and perhaps cardamon are fairly subdued.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Smooth even slick full bodied beer low carbonated but works well with the beers character. No sign of the alcohol in the mouth. The more of this I drink the more I am digging the beer. The beer would be a sipper for a more restrained beer drinker. Nicely played!

11-22-2010 11:08:16 | More by nlmartin
david131

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

A- A hazy, bright orange liquid with a thin but creamy bone white head.

S- Very aromatic with loads of bourbon, vanilla, mint, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Very nice.

T- Bourbon and pumpkin pie. A bit heavier on the spices than the aroma lead on. There is some definite alcohol presence.

M- A creamy body with subtle carbonation. The finish is pretty warm from the alcohol.

D- A bit of a sipper, but very memorable and enjoyable. Worth seeking out for something different.

11-22-2010 04:26:34 | More by david131
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev +1%

The Greater Pumpkin has a hazy orange body with a ton of sediment floating throughout it. The head is off-white in color and more than two fingers tall.

The aroma is really nice: pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, bourbon and some sweet malt.

I really liked the idea of a pumpkin beer aged in bourbon barrels, because I figured that pumpkin beers have such strong flavors that they could stand up to barrel-aging. I think I was right, as I like how the flavors work together in Greater Pumpkin. Bourbon and pumpkin mix together at first, coupled with an array of spices that include cinnamon and nutmeg. As the spices fade they mix with a woody flavor. A little bit of sweet malts shine through toward the finish, and also a low hop-bitterness. A blast of warmth from the alcohol finishes it.

The body is pretty full with a creamy smoothness. Good mouthfeel for a beer that is this big and packed with strong flavors.

Pumpkin spices and bourbon are two flavors that can be unpleasantly overpowering in a beer. Mixed together, the two manage to complement each other quite nicely. This beer is a little bit hot and boozy, especially as it warms.

11-19-2010 00:43:27 | More by Hojaminbag