Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin - Heavy Seas Beer

Maryland, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: mcallister on 07-28-2010

In the most worthy of pumpkin patches and during the silence of the midnight hour, the Greater Pumpkin raises up and pours a rich deep and burnished orange color. Heady aromas of bourbon, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and clove linger seductively over the thick white head of this tremendous brew. Its love at first sip as the full malt body, dominated by British crystal malt, brown sugar and pumpkin, slowly washes over your tongue. Bourbon barrel aging rounds out the flavors with notes of oak, vanilla, and bourbon. Pairs well with crisp autumn weather, crunchy fallen leaves, and the knowledge that your kids will be asleep soon so you can raid their Halloween candy bags.
4.24/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My god, I can't stand pumpkins and I love this one. It has to be served at the correct temp, around 50 degrees or a little warmer to really bring out the the bourbon barrel aging, but does the aging ever pair with the pumpkin and spices. Pumpkins are a style I can't generally abide, everyone has different tastes, but I enjoy bourbon barrel aged beers so when I saw this at the White Oak Tavern tonight, well I had to get a taste. After a taste, I ordered a full 10 oz goblet and savored every drop. (503 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was really curious about this one as I've never had or seen a bourbon barrel aged pumpkin beer so I really wanted to try it. Poured a very dark cloudy hazy orange with a somewhat small to medium sized white head. The head fairly quickly dissolved but somewhat stuck around till almost the end of the beer. Left hardly any lacing on the glass. The smell for me reminded me of a lot of bourbon barrel aged beers or at least had a familiar smell of that with the twist of a pumpkin ale. Had the bourbon, the vanilla from the oak, pumpkin and spices. The smell was very good. Taste was pretty much the same except I think the vanilla, bourbon, and the other taste from the barrel really stuck out with the pumpkin not totally in the background but still very upfront and well balanced. The pumpkin was there but not overpowering which I liked a lot. Went down really smooth, not very bitter at all actually kind of sweet. Mouthfeel was pretty average, nothing to rant or rave about. Drinkability was great. A mildly high ABV but very well hidden in my opinion. I could smell and taste the bourbon but it played no effect in making "hot" or undrinkable. I could have easily done another after finishing this one. Overall not the greatest pumpkin ale I've ever had but I'd put it up there. I was skeptical about a bourbon barrel aged pumpkin ale but it turns out it was quite wonderful, the bourbon and the oak barrel add great flavors to this beer. If I ever see this one again I will pick it up without hesitation. Great beer and great pumpkin ale. (1,546 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

The best pumpkin beer out there, and it's an ass-kicker too. Great spices and cloves in the taste, but you get a wonderful dose of malt and bourbon flavors as well. Sip this, get warm from the alcohol, and enjoy a nice evening in the fall with this beer. (256 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Cloudy, some bubbles, lots of sediment. Orangey-brown. Some firm off-white head.

S: Really good. Lots of pumpkin and spices followed by an alcoholy sweetness that is the bourbon.

T: Whoa. Very tasty. It tastes so ... festive. Pumpkin and alcohol - bourbon shines through. Lots of dark, wintry spices like nutmeg.

M: Unfortunately the mouthfeel is kind of disappointing. Rather thin and little creamy and hint of carbonation. I can't tell if it's actually not very good or just not compared to the magnitude of flavor and other awesomeness that is this beer.

O: Very delicious. I love it. I'd definitely have another and recommend you go get one now. (657 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured from a bomber that I picked up over at Bestway in G-boro. Light amber with a frothy white head, bit of cloudiness to it. Head sticks around with good lacing. Smells like some raw pumpkin guts, light vinegar or sourness, vanilla, and the traditional pumpkin pie spices. First sip reveals the 9% alcohol that was missing in the aroma. Fairly sweet with vanilla and caramel blending in with the pumpkin spices. Oak aging gives it a strange twang, sort of like sour wood, but it adds a new dimension to the brew. Raw pumpkin sneaks in again towards the end of the sip along with some booze and lingers. Mouthfeel is amazingly creamy with a moderate body to it. Nice carbonation going on. I enjoyed it, though some of the flavors seemed out of place and the alcohol seemed overwhelming. Nice pumpkin character to it. (818 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +7%

Pours a burnt amber orange with a yellow hue on the edges. Finger width of white head, with solid lacing retention.

Smells of pumpkin, spices, oak, and bourbon. It smells like, well, an aged, spiked, The Great Pumpkin.

The taste is superfluous. The fall spices, pumpkin, wood, malts, and bourbon notes blend together almost too well.

It's lightly carbonated, very smooth, as it should be IMO. Medium bodied and hidden alcohol tones.

Overall, this is going to be a hit or miss beer with most people. I think it's a must try, if you do happen to find a bottle or two of it around your area. (592 characters)

The beer has a nice amber color that I expect from a pumpkin beer. I could smell pumpkin pie. If there is supposed to be any other smells in there, I'm not one to ask since my sense of smell is weak. The head disspated a little quickly. The taste is a blend of pumpkin and bourbon. I think the two go well together. I picked up a little vanilla in there too. The beer is a little creamier than the usual pumpkin beer, but it is a pleasant touch. (445 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours the standard brownish orange color with a head that wasn't overly large, but it fades to an off white cap that doesn't seem to be going away

S- some spice notes but also the bourbon wood is coming through; some pumpkin in there as well

T- really nice blend of pumpkin spices and bourbon wood bitter tangy flavors; a nice dose of citrus and bourbon at the end of the sip but right before there is this rich buttery crust flavor

M- a little fuller than most pumpkin ales and the aftertaste is actually quite nice with a hint of bourbon wood and citrus bitterness

D- it's hard to judge this beer because of the uniqueness; def nice to try but I can't really see myself going through a 6-pack if it were able in that packaging; it's not as pumpkin-pieish as other beers in the style, but more of a blend of flavors...if your looking for pumpkin pie dipped in bourbon your not going to find that intensity of flavor with this beer; definitely a nice version of the style but not my favorite (998 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a deep dark orange in color. Sweet smells of vanilla, Brown sugar, nutmeg, rum soaked raisins. The taste followed the nose closely albeit more subdued. The sweetness wasn't cloying. The beer is made to stand out in this concoction; the spices are just an accent. The taste of oak is slightly present in the taste also. The sharpness and burn of the alcohol is reminiscent of a brandy or bourbon and effective at breaking up the sweetness in this beer. Medium bodied, not overly bubbly. This would be an excellent beer to bottle condition for 2 years. Overall; I prefer this beer over Pumking because it isn't as sweet/ overly spiced. Recommended for pumpkin/yam beer lovers. (681 characters)

Pours opaque amber in color with one finger of beige head. Smells like the spices that go into pumpkin pie but pumpkin is faint. Mouthfeel is good. Taste is like a bite of fresh pumpkin pie with nice balance of spices and pumpkin. Finish is sweet sugar and more pie flavor. Overall, pleasantly surprised. Can't wait to have the next bottle! (346 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured a hazy orange with an unbelievable nose. If I could rate higher on the smell, I would. Pumpkin, peppermint, american oak come to mind. Taste was delish and mouthfeel was right on. Shared this with friends (poured 4 ways) and I wish I had the whole bottle to myself. I true jewel! (286 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer was poured out of a 22oz bottle.

A: A roasted orange color that is hazy. Sediment is present (bottle was poured gently to avoid disturbing sediment).

S: The aroma of this beer is very inviting. Unlike most other pumpkin beers I have tried the aroma is extremely balanced as opposed to focusing on spices. The bourbon character comes through but is not overwhelming.

T: The flavor is extraordinary. There is sweetness, spice, wood, malt character, as well as bourbon present. No one flavor dominates. An excellent blend of flavors for a barrel aged pumpkin beer.

M: The beer is perfectly carbonated in my opinion. with each touch of the tongue to the roof of my mouth I experience a sensation of bourbon vapors entering my nasal cavity which is very pleasant.

O: The Greater Pumpkin by Heavy Seas is a must try with well balanced characteristics, although I would swear this beer is higher than 9%! (914 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Golden orange, but hazy. Moderate head with no lacing after it recedes.

S: Overwhelming bourbon barrel aging. Southern Tier-esque. Though, unlike ST, they did manage to get a bit of other flavor in the beer; pumpkin manages to turtle-head out. Swirling allows some of the cinnamon and allspice to pop, also.

T: Vanilla. Jesus, this is bourbon barrel aged. Pumpkin hardly comes out, but you can find it if you look hard enough. Somewhat hot.

M: Dry. Too carbonated for my liking. But I will admit, it is somehow making me want more...

D: Somewhat smooth. But too much bourbon to drink it quickly. Definitely a sipper. (623 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

The Heavy Seas (from Clipper City) already produces one of my favorite pumpkin beers, "The Great Pumpkin." They then take that awesome brew, age it in spent bourbon barrels, and call it "The Great'er Pumpkin." I've heard about this one for a few years now, but never had the opportunity to pick one up. This year it was released in the CT market, and we made sure to get some!

The Great'er Pumpkin pours a slightly hazy, burnt-orange, almost rusty color. It's a little darker than I remember the Great Pumpkin being, but I doubt I'd be able to tell them apart just by looking at them. The foam is pretty thick at first, but fades pretty quickly. I'm surprised at how much white foam there is at first, because this Great'er Pumpkin checks in at 9% abv, making it one of the stronger pumpkin beers this year.

The nose is awesome; filled with all kinds of pumpkin pie spices, I'm getting cinnamon, nutmeg, and I can't help but think of ginger for some reason. There's a mild amount of pumpkin aromas too, but it's hidden behind a substantial amount of alcohol esters.

Wow, once I take a sip, I am impressed! This is gorgeously spicy, a bit malty sweet, a little pumpkiny, and quite boozy. It's pretty much everything I like in a beer. Now, it's not nearly as heavy in the pumpkin as some others out there, but the spice is great, and I honestly love that little bit of a boozy nature. The alcohol isn't over-powering, but there's enough of it that you definitely notice it. I think I'd like to see a touch more pumpkin, but otherwise, I love this beer!

Well I'm getting down to the last few pumpkin beers to try this year, and the Heavy Seas "The Great'er Pumpkin" has really set the bar high. I think tomorrow night might be the time for the Pumking, and we'll see if it holds it's own again this year. (1,805 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Very aromatic fragrance. It smells like the perfect fall beer! I enjoyed the taste, but I tend to compare every pumpkin beer I drink to Southern Tier's Pumking, and all fall short. :) I enjoy the combination of malts and spices in this high-gravity beer. The 10% can sneak up on you as it doesn't taste quite that heavy.
Overall, this is definitely a beer I will enjoy again many times, but nothing, still, compares to Pumking. :) (436 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13%

750ml poured into tulip glass. Amber color with a one finger head. Nose is malt and spice. Taste starts with malts and spices, mixes with oak and finishes with pumpkin and bourbon. Medium body lingers nicely, with a slight alcohol burn on the back end. Very enjoyable entry into the pumpkin beer world. Would definitely buy again. (331 characters)

Poured into Goblet...

Pours a hazy burnt orange with one finger of soapy off-white head.

Strong organic pumpkin notes with cinnamon and nutmeg as well. Smells quite nice.

Good pumpkiny flavor with some of the spice, that is overtaken by a bourbon sweetness that takes over all the way to the finish. Never had a bourbon barrel aged pumpkin ale before, so I was interested to see how the flavor would be. It tastes kind of like a slice of pumpkin pie going in and being overtaken by a shot of Wild Turkey. Weird, but it works.

Good medium mouthfeel. Its not too heavy, but its hearty enough to let you know that you are having a big boy beer.

Overall, this was one that I was wanting to try and am not disappointed in it at all. Different, but nice flavor to it. Not on the level of Pumking, but nothing else is either. A nice after dinner treat for me on a chilly October night. (883 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -37.4%

Always a fan of Clipper City and their Heavy Seas series, I was excited about this seasonal brew. When I finally poured this from its 22oz bottle, I was eager to take my first sip. It's appearance was solid, even with a bit of sediment floating around in the glass. The unique red-orange color paired not wholly complimentary with its equally unique smell, a pungent mix of pumpkin, spices, and citrus. Once to my lips, this beer was not for me. The taste of this beer was unbalanced. There were notes of good flavors but together this didn't mesh well. Even worse was the finish which was down right awful and got me looking for a glass of water.

This was a one time special for me. (685 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

I had heard amazing reviews from various sources before purchasing this brew. I expected a not overpowering pumpkin ale with a boozy twist. Now, I cannot say that I have the most refined palette, but what I tasted was a beer with a shot or two of bourbon in it. There was no appreciable pumpkin flavor. I wasn't expecting to be punched in the face with pumpkin like you might expect in a Shipyard, but I also wasn't expecting to get kicked in the balls with bourbon.

In my opinion, this is a better than average beer. It is obvious that Heavy Seas is trying to do something interesting that would be beyond the capabilities of most home brewers. I found this to be something I might serve via tasters to an interested group. I cannot imagine drinking more than one of these in a sitting. The overpowering bourbon flavor brought down what might otherwise be a complex and entirely enjoyable beer. I enjoyed the body, color, and the pumpkin spice aroma.

Overall it's worth a try, but generally the pumpkin beer money could be better spent on a Southern Tier Pumking. (1,066 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +22.9%

Delicious and dangerous: Poured from a 22 bomber into my Chimay Goblet

A- Orange/brownish....definitely a little darker than the great pumpkin.

S- Awesome! Sweet pumpkin pue with cinnamin and nutmeg. The burbon barrels adds a slight congac hint. Impressive

T- Awesome! A punch of pumpkin and spice with that burbon hint right in the middle. Finishes with the feel of just swallowing a piece of pumpkin pie with cool whip on it (Pie is just not pie without a dollup of coo-wHip)

M- Maybe could be a bit better. You can feel the alcohol content with it sitting on the palate, but neverhteless its a great one

D- I want to have 2-3 per night....i can afford 1-2 per month (673 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Had this brew a "barrel aged" tasting. It ranked right in the middle of the pack for my self. There was a large amount of spice in the brew due to it being a pumpkin ale. I didn't pick up the barrel aged at first but the body was quite full and large.

Worth drinking but I believe that there is better in the 8-9 dollar bomber range. (335 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Found this gem at a local co-op and had an open mind as I haven't seen this brewery's products around here. Amazing aroma of vanilla, pumpkin and nutmeg escapes the bottle and it pours a hazy red/amber. Half finger of white head that dissipates. Bourbon barrel aging apparent on tasting with warm boozy aftertaste enhancing the vanilla, pumpkin and balanced nutmeg. Overall my favorite of the 2013 pumpkin beer/ale/imperial ale class thus far...but I would like to do a side by side comparison with Good Gourd. (510 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

After much fanfare from friends of mine, I decided to plunk down some bucks and give this beer a try. I actually had pretty high hopes because this is the only aged pumpkin ale I've cone across yet.

Appearance: murky brown almost rusty in color with a small cap that left no lacing.

Aroma: I get a lot of wood, a lot of vanilla, plus pumpkin spice of course. I also get some dried apricot.

Taste: this is where the beer gets lost to me. Just about all I taste is vanilla and oak. There is lingering spice in there, but it is way overshadowed by the oak and the whole beer gets steered off course. In other words, it totally flew over the seasonal runway. I could drink this in February and basically think of it as a strong ale brewed with spices and aged in oak. I then may have given it better scores because I wouldn't have been thinking "pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin" (871 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- slightly better head than the great pumpkin by heavy seas and a little darker, but all in all pretty similar

Smell- big hit of vanilla and Bourbon with some pumpkin making its way through

Taste- there is a lot of vanilla in this beer. The Bourbon influence is a bit overpowering and masks the pumpkin a little too much for my taste. I would like more pumpkin and spice.

Mouthfeel - Carb is well done and keeps the party moving along

Overall - I think this beer could have been exceptional if the Bourbon influence was toned down. All on all, this beer is a bit of a let down. (591 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

No disrespect to those who have reviewed this tasty delight before me, but this beer is being severely underrated, and under appreciated. Some of the previous "B" reviews have hinted that the parts of the beer (bourbon, rich pumpkin, restrained spice) may need time to coalesce, without seeing the process through. No need to wait until next Halloween! Pop this bad boy open now! Then throw it back on ice and wait an hour or two. Maybe sip on a delicous fresh HS/CC Great Pumpkin and enjoy the bright, fleshy, not-over spiced, pumpkin driven pumpkin goodness of their ready to drink un-aged offering as you wait.
Then get ready to enjoy a creamier, richer, bourbon-tinged treat. The boozeiness diminishes as the Greater Pumpkin has time to breathe, and the bold flavors find time to integrate.. you'll think you made the perfect pumpkin bourbon float.
This stuff is legit!
Just give it some time... in the cellar &/or simply w/ some air! (939 characters)

Heavy Seas - Great’ER Pumpkin from Heavy Seas Beer