1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Heavy Seas - Plank I - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas - Plank IHeavy Seas - Plank I

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Old Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jsanford on 03-15-2011)
3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

22 ounce bottle, shared by Matt and poured into a tulip glass.

A: Medium to dark copper, rustic mahogany colored body with an off-white, bubbly and creamy head. A nice retention cap forms and does manage to leave behind some minor lacing. There's nothing too much to really fault in the appearance, especially for an Old Ale.

S: Wood, smoked peat, leather, spicy yeast, tobacco, minor oak and a touch of old outdated bourbon. It's very rich, dark and has a lot of qualities you'd expect. It's an eclectic blending of flavors that make sense on the nose, I'm just unsure how this will translate to taste.

T: Tobacco, leather and a certain "meatiness" about the flavor comes through up front. Smoked dark malts are around mid-palate, and into the finish is a decent amount of an alcohol bite. It seems very astringent, with a flavor leaning more towards the bourbon family.

M: Fizzy but still somewhat creamy on the palate. Perhaps it's a bit too watery for what I expect an Old Ale to be, in my opinion. Not too sticky, dry or cloying in any way, just a touch thin.

Eh, this was okay for me. It may be that this isn't my favorite style but I've had other Old Ales that had a completely different flavor profile and qualities that this one didn't seem to have. It wasn't bad by comparison, but certainly isn't something I'd ever need to revisit again.

ShanePB, Sep 26, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

S: Rich melanoindens, toffee and caramel, a prominent woody component, almost like sawdust. Just a hint of dark fruits.

L: Very dark brown with some red highlights. Off-whie head that dissipates, leaving a ring of foam, almost still looking.

T: Toffee and some wood like qualities. Low woody bitterness leads to some faint dark fruits. Some wood like tannins near the finish.

M: Medium thin mouthfeel, medium low carbonation.

Ok, mouthfeel was a little thin for what i was expecting, but ok for 8% i guess. Fairly meh.

bum732, Jul 12, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a snifter.

a - Pours a very dark brown color with one inch of off white/light tan head and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of definite wood, toasted malts, caramel malts, burnt notes. Not bad but nothing great; I guess interesting is the best word to describe it. Definitely something different; lots of wood and tooasted/burnt notes.

t - Tastes of wood/oak, toasted malts, light fruity malts, smoke, roadted malts. A bit of a step up from the nose, mainly because of the fruit.

m - Medium body and moderate to high carbonation. A little too carbonated.

o - Overall an interesting beer. Not what I think of at all when I think of an old ale, but I don’t think they were going for something traditional. Lots of wood comes through which was their intention, so I suppose the succeeded. Tough to drink a 22 oz. bottle by yourself.

mdfb79, Jun 18, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a snifter. Old ale on poplar? Yes, please.

3.5 A: Clear with a deep crimson brown color. Two fingers of creamy tan head. Retention is about average and just the smallest touch of lacing is left.

4.0 S: Very pleasant nose. Dark caramel malts, plum, prune, fig, and date fruitiness, and brown sugar. The poplar isn't as intense as I would have imagined, but it does complement the brew. Sweet, but balanced. Booze is well hidden.

3.0 T: Hmmm. This isn't what I was expecting. The poplar takes control of the brew and adds more astringency that I'd like. In addition, the sweetness perceived in the nose is much reduced in the taste. In any case, this is still tasty, it just doesn't impress much. Underneath the poplar, there is the fruitiness, brown sugar, and caramel found in the nose, but at lower levels of intensity.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. A bit creamy, but could be more so. Not bad here.

3.5 D: Interesting experiment, but the base beer couldn't really stand up to the poplar contribution. Still, not bad.

DavoleBomb, Nov 14, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

A: This almost hit the harvest season in term of color scheme.... but not quite. Ruby red-orange color, clear, and with a slight head that quickly died down.

S: Very subtle, but that's the English style for you. Musty, and with mild puffs of butterscotch and candy sugar.

T: On the forefront, I almost tasted bourbon... but then I re-vamped my position. Very oaky and dry on the finish. This made it a bit tough for me in general.

M: Thick, with a slight "gelatin-like" feel. Very mild prickle on the carbonation, and the lacing was non-existent.

O: Dunno. On one hand, I like some of the subtle roasty aspects of this, but I found the finish to be off putting. Not bad, but definitely not great.

Chaney, Jun 10, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

appearance: Dark brown with red highlights.
smell: Not bad just not much happening. I guess the 'plank' addition is meant to be subtle but not getting anything in the nose.
taste: A pleasant taste to be sure and there's a little of the 'plank' aging. Again, understood it's supposed to be subtle but maybe a little too subtle.
overall: A decent brew, not a stand out.

cindyjeffsmith, Jul 01, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A small two finger caramel and light tan head is made, settles to a slow small collar. Body gives a nice dark red amber brown, kind of mahogany red. Some slight light penetrates giving some chestnut appearances.

Nose is toffee and sticky malts, smells a little oaky but also an interesting kind of balsam like sense, like sawdust.

Taste is quite tannic. A very woody and thin body mixes with a very light malt. Not very rich tasting, and quite thin in the palate and in feel. A prickly carbonation up front at first. Finish is kind of lacking but an almost varnishy quality perpetuates the mouth. Bitter tannic quality lingers, but not boozy.

Overall, it's not quite awful or particulalry bad, but it's not really that great. I could drink worse. However, the Plank II is CONSIDERABLY better.

smakawhat, Jul 16, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

Deep mahogany color with a nice sized head. Strong aroma of a somewhat metallic quality as it is poured from the bottle. Once in the glass there is a deep caramel sweetness going on, somewhat raisen like. Malty enough flavor with a whisper of wood and a hint of smoke. Fairly sweet then fades into a dry finish. Body is rather thin for my liking. Rather ho hum and unispired. Really was looking forward to this, perhaps I had myself psyched up for something else who knows. Lacks the unique wood notes I was expecting. Form your own opinion is all I can say.

lackenhauser, Jul 11, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -17%

A - Dark Brown with red hints, thin head

S - Caramel, roasty, some chocolate and fruitiness.

T - Roasty Caramel and malts, alcohol, and a fruity finish

M - Thin, carbonated

O - Meh, OK, was expecting more, maybe its just not my style. Not sure what I was expecting, wasn't bad just was OK.

HoosierInOhio, Sep 24, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

I really enjoy old ales, but this one misses the mark a bit- a bit too malty and creamy and a little one dimensional- too sweet. Pours a slightly turgid brown with only a slight head. Smells sweet and malty with a touch of fruitcake and wood. Pleasant enough if a little one-dimensional. Perhaps slightly rummy as well. The taste is more of the same- very smooth, perhaps too much so- I like a little bit of a dry bite in my old ale. Not one of their best efforts.

Georgiabeer, Jan 23, 2012

acurtis, Feb 05, 2012

waiting4lunch, Feb 05, 2012

yourefragile, Jan 23, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

Grabbed a 22oz bomber bottle from the Foodery. From what I remember hearing about this beer, Clipper City is experimenting with various woods for their "Plank" series. the bottle says that this Old Ale was aged on Poplar wood planks.

Poured into my snifter glass, the beer has an attractive deep ruby color with a tan head that billows up to about one finger thick. While the head does disappear in a minute and leaves no lacing or any trace that it was ever there, the beer still has a nice appearance.

The smell is quite average for the style. Old Ales should have a lot more complexity, especially after being aged on wood, but the aroma here is somewhat lackluster. There is a soft wooden smell, but not one that I am quite used to. I would describe it as more acidic than American Oak. Notes of caramel sit in the background from the sweet malts, but there is no depth here like I said before.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, in that there isn't much going on. In fact, what I believe comes from the wood aging here is a somewhat sour note that leans heavily on the delicate sweet malts. The aftertaste comes through with a bit of toffee, roasty flavor. I have had some excellent examples of English Old Ales, which I find have a deeper malt character that bring out fruitiness all throughout the aroma and flavor, and unfortunately, Plank I has missed the boat, so to speak. The alcohol does a decent job of hiding itself here, so good marks for that.

The mouthfeel is wonderful, full-bodied and soft. The carbonation was kept low, which I liked. Good job all around here. The only room for improvement would be to develop a slicker texture for the beer.

I love the idea of experimenting with wood aging, but one must realize that it will be hit or miss. This isn't a total abomination. Not even close really...I just thought that the base beer didn't really stack up to what I expect from an Old Ale and that it didn't mesh very well with the Poplar wood anyways. I would be interested in trying a vertical of all the different iterations over the years, but other than that, I don't think I will repurchase again.

MusicaleMike, Aug 27, 2011