Heavy Seas - Plank I - Heavy Seas Beer

Old Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: jsanford on 03-15-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

I had this on-tap at Victoria Gastropub.

Appearance: Pours a clear brown color with a red hue. There is a layer of off white head that leaves no lacing.

Smell: Sweet caramel malt with hints of vanilla and a little smoke.

Taste: Again, there is a lot of caramel. The vanilla and smoke notes are there as well. I'm also picking up some dark fruit as well as a bit of alcohol. The finish is bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and mild carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: One of my favorites from this brewery. I really love the flavors added by the wood. Very nice. (567 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Had this at Max's this evening at the release event. This version was dry-hopped and on cask. I also had the C02 tap version. There are some slight differences that I will mention. For a more fleshed out review check out my other reivew.

The cask version had a more prominent vanilla presence in the nose and flavor profile.

The hop addition to this cask made this a more well rounded and balanced beer in my opinion, but some of the wood notes are not as present.

The aroma is slightly more hoppy and the finish is much more bitter. (536 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

poured from a cask at the Heavy Seas BBQ fest. reviewed from notes.

A - murky dark brown. some tan head, but not much. it does leave some nice lacing though.

S - strong roasted malts. hints of caramel, nuts and coffee bean in the nose. really nice underlying sweetness. smells very fresh and appetizing.

T/M - the flavor was mostly made up of the roasted malts. rich combination of the malts and coffee, which give it a bit of bitterness. you can definitely taste some of the flavor enhanced by the wood. the bitterness is balanced by the sweetness of the caramel on the back end. slick, creamy mouthfeel. medium bodied.

Overall this is beer is crafted very well. the flavors are very tasty and it's goes down easy and smooth. I'd like to get my hands on this again when it's more widely released. (802 characters)

A - The body appeared a brown-copper color with a bubbly, off white head...the head showed some retention and there was nice lacing

S - Woody aromas are apparent but this has some nice sweet and roasted malt aromas...caramel and chocolate

T - The flavors are pretty well in line with what was detected in the nose...more of the roasted flavors stood out...chocolate was a big part of the beer towards the finish...the flavors started off sweet with caramel...the poplar wood came out in the middle of the beer...it was mixed with some sweet, dark fruits...the finish had chocolate and some more wood

M - Medium bodied...nice cask feel...creamy...nice roasted finish

O - I was able to try this new offering from Heavy Seas the other weekend at the brewery...they tried something different with the wood and I don't know if it was their technique or the wood they used, but I found this a bit better than some wood-aged beers I've tried before...the wood flavor was present but there was a lot of other things going on...I wouldn't mind obtaining a bottle once it's released (1,076 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last