AARGHtoberfest! - Heavy Seas Beer

Heavy Seas Beer visit their website
Maryland, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BB1313 on 09-10-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by MusicaleMike:
4.04/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. I am very impressed with what I see! A rich copper-amber color with tons of carbonation rising through the semi-cloudy body. The head, a creamy textured, cream-colored cap, sports a decent thickness and sticks well on the glass. It would be hard to improve upon the appearance to be honest.

The aroma is not quite as impressive, though it is quite decent in its own right. Notes of toasted bread, caramel, and European hops mingle nicely together. Light aroma, and slightly metallic.

The first impression is of the light body and perfect carbonation. Really excellent body for this Marzen. The flavors are of toasty malts, and a little bitterness in the finish. Clean, smooth body. Nice caramel notes in the aftertaste.

Not as good as the real thing, but Heavy Seas did a good job of creating an Americanized Oktoberfest beer. I say "Americanized" because the true Oktoberfests are usually much lighter in color and a bit more substantial in the body. Certainly not as "toasted" as this one is. Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable pint, and I would definitely drink more of this beer!

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

We need more new Oktoberfest beer out there,good to see Heavy Seas come out with a new one,a cool looking can to boot.Poured one and a half cans into a 1/2 liter stein,a clear rich copper with a great looking fluffy slightly off white crown atop that lasts for a quite awhile but not leaving any lace behind.Full on German malt aromas with some mineral and toasted pizza crust,just mild caramel sweetness,so far this beer is vastly underrated by the other two to review it in my opinion.The feel is a little watery with a flatness to it so that's not so good.Flavors are toasted with caramel sweet doughiness but not overly sweet,a tinge of iron and light crispness in the finish.Hmm I don't know I kinda like it,the mouthfeel leaves something to be desired but everything else is pretty damn good.More new "not overly sweet" Oktoberfest beers please!

2.79/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Filtered bright copper with a light beige head forming thick, dwindling slow. I always liked their marzen, this is now packaged in a can with some pretty cool artwork. Aroma has some serious toasted malt character, a hint of nuttiness, caramelized sugars going on with some herbal hops peaking through. Flavor has some disconnected malts and hops, not a refined lager pretty rough excessive fruitiness going on, with herbal hops and mild bitterness coming in and out of the equation. Really weird flavor wave going on starts sweet balanced by toasted malts and herbal hops, ends feeling very disconnected with each sip. I've had a lot of this seasons oktoberfests, this may be on the bottom of the pile thus far. However it smells great, I can't quit smelling this beer, it's awesome I just wish the flavor held up to the nose on this one. It almost seems like it wasn't lagered long enough there's just some many rough spots with each sip, it becomes abrasive about half way through the can. Rough on the palate, lingering bitterness between sips, medium to light bodied lager from the can. Overall I'm excited to see canned beer from Clipper City aka Heavy Seas but this O fest needs some tweaking, I've always loved their marzens as a side note.

3.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is full of malts, a bit bready. Taste is malty, sweet, somewhat bready, some caramel notes, very refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

Best before 1/2/14. 12oz can poured into a pint glass. Pours a beautiful transparent auburn; fluffy white head that fades slowly and leaves nice retention and solid lacing. The aromas are full of caramel malts. There are also hints of butterscotch. It has a weird grainy/mineral like aroma which carries on to the flavors. It's kind of distracting. The flavors are full of more caramel. It has a nice hop kick to it, which I really enjoy. Lots of breads and grains. There's some grass in the mix as well. Very earthy. Slightly spicy. Finishes dry. Mouthfeel is very nice. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied and it's pretty fluffy and creamy; active carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

I guess I'm not really feeling this one. I am a fan of Heavy Seas. Despite my opinion, it's still crisp and refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

4.45/5  rDev +26.1%

The CANQuest (TM) is on the approach to CAN review #1,000, a number that was unimaginable at the outset of this adventure. I had copped this back in the fall of 2013, but picture approval took a while, hence the delay.

From the CAN: "Oktoberfest Style Lager"; "Nice Mugs!"; "Our AARGHtoberfest is a rich and toasty amber lager made with German specialty malts and imported hops. Prosit!"

How inappropriate for the parrot to be making the preceding comment to the dirndl-wearing mermaid! I am surprised that it was approved. Ha! I celebrate "Talk Like a Pirate Day" every year on 19 September and it is always a blast. One former student, Omarrr the Pirate, still goes by that moniker.

The Crack! gave me a little spritz across the bow of my index finger and thus I returned fire in the form of an inverted Glug into my Schlafly CAN glass until the head became too much to CANtinue. I could only watch as a pseudo-cascade gave 'way to a massive three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with great retention. I cheated and licked a drop off of the CAN while I waited for it to settle. Yum! Color was a deep coppery-orange (SRM = > 13, <17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a Grape Nuts-like malty sweetness underlain by a grassy hoppiness and I was all for it as I have had many in the style that were cloyingly sweet. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was about as perfect for both the style and myself as I have encountered. It was semi-sweet, at most, with the grassy hops really keeping the malt in check to the point that I could have also said semi-dry. It still had a malty sweetness, make no mistake, but it was not over the top in its intensity. Great lacing began to form as I drank from the glass. Finish was more hoppy than malty, giving it a freshly-mown hay-like flavor at the end. Definitely worth a re-visit in the fall!

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%