Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Brewpub

No picture uploaded.

Buffalo Brewpub visit their website
New York, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: wailingwench on 10-03-2004)
Reviews by generallee:

generallee, Jul 20, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a deep brown with a deep reddish hue when held up to more light with a thinner tan colored head on top,faint aromas of malted chocolate milk and earth but it was quite faint.Some decent oat stout qualities going on in the flavor dept but the mouthfeel was to thin almost watery,some mineral and milk chocolate with a dryer earthy finish.Eh I picked this outta the samples I tried and thats not sayin much I went there cause its close to work well the Pizza Plant is closer I'll be giving them my money not here.

oberon, May 20, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at the brewpub. Weak for the style, but the best beer they brew. Dark brown, somewhat lacey and a bit of off-brown head. Chocolate and a little roast aroma, above average carbonation compensating for below average mouthfeel that is syrupy. Sweet, as if brown sugar added, though not cloying. A light stout, really.

Sammy, Nov 15, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Sampled during a recent visit to the brewpub. Very dark, with a thin brown head. Decent nose, hinting at the stong coffee flavor. Strong coffee flavor, decent roasted undercurrent, but everything seemed to fade after a few sips. It was a little thin, but not nearly as harsh as some stronger stouts can be on the palate. I certainly didn't have any finishing it off though. Not bad, and nice to try a local brew, but not a top tier oatmeal stout.

hustlemuscle, Jul 02, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -35.3%

I'm going to be harsh on NY's oldest brewpub.

Eye Candy: Oatmeal Stout is somewhat dark, not ink black though. More dark amber if anything. Translucent, not hazy. Finally, a thin tan head. No retention. Some rising carbonation. Maybe the Oatmeal Stout could redeem the rest of the line up?

The Nose Knows: A bowl of cinnamon instant oatmeal.

Tongueland: If I wanted to drink a bowl of cinnamon instant oatmeal, this would suffice. I would venture that the Oatmeal Stout is the Amber with some food coloring and instant oatmeal added to it.

Bender Factor: Buffalo Brewpub is rumored to be an extract brewery. I went there with an open mind and was looking forward to purchasing their Oktoberfest, as I had sampled it at the Buffalo Brewfest. I began to get suspicious of their beers, which led me to try most of them before I gave up and went down the road to Pizza Plant.

I can honestly say that I will never purchase their house beers again. They have recieved subpar ratings on other sites and there have been similar complaints. Buffalo Brewpub should let Custom Brewcrafters brew their house beers.

wailingwench, Oct 03, 2004
2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

I am up here on business and had the chance to pop into the Buffalo Brewpub. I like trying house brews so I started with the oatmeal stout.

It showed up looking porter dark but not quite oatmeal stout dark. The head was pretty poor, basically lacing by the time it got to us.

Aroma was decent, but not really all that complex or outstanding. Smelled like oatmeal and malt extract.

Taste was again decent, but nothing to write home about (though I guess enough to write on a website about ?) Heavy oats with somewhat isolated malts. Not a bad beer for the $2.00 happy hour allowed me but not a beer I will seek out again.

hobbes2112, Feb 15, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours an amber brown with some light escaping rather easily, topped with a fading khaki cap.

Light aromas, despite the clear surrounings.

First swigs: Metallic caramel. An easy stout with roasty malt and delicate cocoa. This is a starter stout. Sorta goes towards a Scottish Ale.

Feel is moderate body with a diluted slippery style that left me wanting a bolder body.

Last swigs: Drinkable stout that gets a toe in the door of the style. Nothing shocking. The second best beer out of five.

blitheringidiot, Sep 01, 2005

coreyfmcdonald, Feb 10, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Stopped in here recently with only enough time for one beer, so I went for the stout. Pours a very dark brown with a thin white head. Some lacing on the glass. Hints of roasted coffee in the smell and in the taste. Somewhat bitter & a little sweet. Pretty average. Nothing to write home about, but glad I made it my choice.

oldirtycaffrey, Oct 29, 2007
Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Brewpub
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.