Hefeweizen - Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: clvand0 on 11-01-2004

An authentic example of a Bavarian Hefeweizen. “Hefe” means cloudy or yeasty and “weizen” means wheat. This beer is made with mostly wheat and uses a true Hefeweizen yeast that gives it a fruity, banana aroma with just a hint of cloves. The tart finish makes this the perfect summer beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 375 | Reviews: 125
4.07/5  rDev +10%

Received a 12 FL. OZ. Bottle from a friend from Nashville, TN. Poured from the Blue/Yellow labeled bottle w/ a Blonde Women with wild hair holding a beer into a 12oz Snifter Glass. Has a BOTTLED ON DATE of FEB 03 12 on the side of the label.

Aroma- Has a great amount of German malt and also citrus. TONS of citrus at that. Light spices.

Appearance- Pours a .5 finger head that has average retention. Has a deep golden/light orange colored body with tons of cloud. Leaves good lacing behind.

Flavor- Sweet, light citrus, and good spice. Easy characters of malt and leaves with a sweet finish. No hops present.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, High Carbonation, Effervescent, and leaves only malts on the palate.

Overall Impression-Very nice for a Hefe that won a 2004 GABF award. I hope to pick up more of this when in Nashville this summer to enjoy during the heated summer months.

4.09/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into my hefe glass. Appearance is light, clear golden with a 3-finger, frothy white head. Minimal lacing.

The smell is strong of cloves, yeast, banana & lemon. Taste is mainly cloves, lemon, wheat & herbal hops. Mouthfeel is light & crisp; more carbonated than a lot of other hefes I've had, but that's not a bad thing.

This is a drinkable hefeweizen, flavorful & not medicinally bitter like a lot of American hefes out there.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a white head. Amazing banana aroma to this and almost as much bubblegum. Smells like overripe banana bread. Sort of light in the wheat/malt department, but I’m fine with that. The flavor has a touch of wheat bread, but otherwise it’s all banana and bubblegum with a bit of clove. Really tasty stuff. Light in body with a crisp carbonation.

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium globe glass.

Pours butterscotch gold with an off white head

Smells like banana bread and buttery yeast

Tastes is smokey, banana, spicy then more banana

Feels sharp at first, then really creamy

I really like this one, I could drink it all night.

4.14/5  rDev +11.9%

on tap @ Yazoo Brewing

By default, I think this is served with a wedge of lemon. I asked for it without.

Pours a super-cloudy straw yellow. The head is very thin, almost nothing but a little ring at the top. Almost no lacing on this one. The smell immediately hits you with spice - clove, black pepperbit of orange zest, with a sort of toned down banana smell, some esters. There's still quite a strong fruity presence, a bit of tartness, and quite a bit of breadiness and spiciness from the yeast and wheat combining. The taste tends towards the more subtle aspects of the smell. I get creamy banana-like sweetness, almost like drinking that banana-flavored milk, or at least almost like an artificial banana syrup (which isn't really a problem since there aren't any real bananas in this). That gets followed up by a sharp citrus presence, really fresh tasting and kind of sharp, and some herbal notes in the back, spices, earthy kinds of spices come out too. The wheat also provides a nice sweetness to compliment the yeasty flavors, and the lemon-like note lingers throughout the entire drink. The body is medium, maybe a tiny bit lower. But it's certainly not thin. There seems almost to be waves of thinness and waves of fullness, like slightly pulpy juice or something, which must be what I think of from all of the citrus flavors present. The carbonation is nice and prickly, but not overpowering. This one kind of warms as it goes down, but it's really enjoyable. I think it has to be one of the best hefes made in America. It sort of leans less towards spiciness and more towards sweetness than I've seen some German hefes do, but everything is here, and really enjoyable. I would recommend this if you like a good hefeweizen.

4.14/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a slightly hazy solar yellow with a thin white head - not impressive, but I am prejudiced in favor of dark beers, so I'll go easy since it's a hefe. Strong aroma is wheaty and yeasty with a slightly sweet lemon overtone. Yummy flavor is wheaty and yeasty and has a firm citrus undertone. There is a slight soapy hint, but this comes and goes. Texture is thick, smooth and finely fizzy. A good summer beer.

4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

On tap at the Yazoo brewery, served in a tall Hefeweizen glass. It arrived looking cloudy and golden wheat in color. A rocky white head filled the top of the glass. Great looking beer for the style.

The aroma shows lots of breadywheat and banana flavors to it. The yeasty, clove like spices are a little more reserved in it, which I like. Very nice for the style, and especially nice on this hot day.

In the taste I again get lots of banana and sweet, bready, wheat malts. A little clove spice comes out in the finish. Very drinkable and refreshing beer overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with moderate carbonation. Overall I thought it was a very solid beer of the style. I had this a few times over the weekend in Nashville and having it on tap, straight from the brewery, in the appropriate glass was a significantly better experience than the other times I had it around town. Maybe it was just the atmosphere or how hot I was, but that was my experience at least.

4.16/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Poured a clear straw with a light haze towards the end. 1/2 inch white head with no lacing. Not the big head retention and lacing that I'm used to with a hefeweizen.

S - Strong aroma of bananas and lemons. Not much else is detectible aside from the fruity aroma, but thats what I expect from this style. The aroma reminds me a little of Hoegarden.

T - The taste is largely dominated by the flavor of the banana and lemon flavor, with a nice amount of malted wheat thickening up the taste. More complex than I make it sound to be.

M - Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth clean finish.

D - This beer has a very nice full flavor, with enough complexity to keep it above your usual hefeweizen IMO. This is definitely one of the more flavorful hefeweizens that I've tried without having to go to an extreme version. A highly recommended sessionable hefeweizen!!!

4.17/5  rDev +12.7%

Served on tap at Sam's Sports Bar.

A: Cloudy, what you'd expect from a hefe, almost no head but I think that's because it was a bad pour, left a good amount of lacing.

S: Sweet malts, banana, orange, coriander, again, what you'd expect from a hefe, which is a good thing.

T: Banana really shows through here, malty, sweet. Lemon and wheat finish. Great taste.

M: Light carbonation, crisp, refreshing.

D: Very drinkable.

This is one of, if not the best, hefe that I've had. I may be partial since it's from Yazoo and my hometown, but I absolutely loved this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured the bottle into a pint glass. Beer is a hazy, light yellow with an egg-white head. There was great carbonation and head retention.

The smell was 'bright'. Also lemon, floral and sweet.

I was extremely impressed by the taste of this beer. It is medium-bodied and there is a creamy mouthfeel to it. I would call the overall taste sweet and lemony, but not too strong. I found the taste was more subtle than some hefeweizens which was quite pleasant with the creamy texture of the beer.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

A- Nice cloudy bright yellow color. The head is thick and foamy, very fluffy and light. Sort of cloud like. The head leaves no lacing, this must be due to the acid in this beer.

S- The smell is great, very traditional German Hefe smell. The banana and clove come though very well. I also pick up a smell of honey, spice, and the wheat.

T- Very light and refreshing. I'm sensing a bit of an acidic taste that seems to coat the tongue. I, personally, have never had a hefe that had this acidic taste, its very interesting to me. I like this aspect and find it fun and enjoyable. The banana is very present in the after taste and it seems to linger long after the sip has been taken.

M- Feels very good in the mouth, very light and crisp.

D- Very easy to drink, too bad this was only a 12oz beer. I'm sad to watch it go.

4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

A – Banana gold with a light haze. Decent head.

S – Bubble gum, light sour apples, banana, and a lace of salad greens. Strange, but surprisingly pleasant.

T – Bright, prickly lemon acidity mellows into sweet banana, caramel, and Clementine. The finish is fantastic, and absolutely loaded with wheat.

M – Lively carbonation into a smooth, medium-full body. Sweet finish.

O – Refreshing with a great wheat character.

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%

This is my favorite beer really. I have only tried a handful, but as mentioned above, you better like bananas. The taste of banana is very present and if you are into that then this is probably the best beer you are going to find due to such a strong smell and taste. The banana gives it a sweeter taste than most beers, again, if you are into that.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottled 5/7/2011, I think (the date is smeared, but it has the new Yazoo bottle labels, so it is fresh.) Consumed July 4, 2011.

A- A glowing, hazy, unfiltered orange. This looks like what a hefe should, as best as I can tell.

S- Big banana notes. Some cloves. A little bit of peppery spice. Again, this smells dead on for the style.

T- Cool and refreshing. A wave of fresh banana and yeast roll over the palate, with just a bit of a spicy kick on the finish.

M- Light and easy drinking. A wonderful summer beer that is going down great as I grill some chicken on the 4th.

O- I admit to being a bit of a biased Nashvillian on this one. The is the beer that turned me on to hefes years ago, and it is still my go to for the style. Just an awesome example of the style that I can always get fresh. A must grab if you love wheat beers, and something you should try if you don't.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

Been wanting to try this one for a while and finally found some in a little store..

Pours a very cloudy hazy pale yellow with a big creamy head...

Great aroma of banana, cloves, lemon, bubble gum, and that yeasty wheaty hefe smell... So far, so good.

Very light crisp taste of citrus, banana, and a hint of the cloves. Damn, this is a great little brew!! I had some Live Oak a couple weeks ago and I have to tell you, this is almost as good as that was!! This is exceptionally fresh having been bottled a couple weeks ago and you can tell.

Great little hefe!! Very drinkable! I will be heading back to grab some more of this one to keep around this summer.

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%

First of all, I love this beer, and all of Yazoo's beers at that. Being from Nashville, I'll admit that I'm more than a little biased, but they really are good beers, especially this hefe. The coriander is noticeable as in other wheat beers that I like. The color is straight on yellow and hazy like an unfiltered wheat bee should be, and that's... that's just tops.
As far as other flavors, I'm going to go out on a little bit of a whim here. I think it tastes a little bit like crayons. No kidding, crayons. And I'm saying this as if it's a good thing, because to me it is. Not only does this beer taste like home, it also tastes like childhood (which took place in Nashville). When it comes to a summer beer and I'm feeling homesick, one sip of this hefe, and I'm back at home on my buddy's back porch hanging out and talking about life.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Picked up a growler at the brewery.

A: Cloudy yellowish orange with minimal head and no lacing.

S: Strong smell of bananas and wheat. Some clove. Fruity and sweet.

T: Tastes like husky wheat with a compliment of sweet banana. Flavorful and refreshing.

M: Not as heavy as it looks. Light and bubbly. I would like to see the body a little more mellow.

D: Very very drinkable. Particularly on a hot summer day a sixer of this can go quickly. One of my favorite offerings from the hometown brewery.

4.42/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Cloudy yellow with a thin layer of white head. 4.5

S- Clove, yeast esters, banana, bubble gum ans sweet bready malts.

T - Banana and bubble gum flavours are huge up front with some spice, clove, citrus and yeast esters.

M - Light to medium body. Creamy. Moderate carbonation.

4.42/5  rDev +19.5%

I had this beer on tap at the Yazoo brewery while visiting Nashville.

A - Poured a nice bright hazy yellow with a small white head.

S - BIG aroma of bananas. Some nice sweetness in there as well.

T - Hugely flavorful and near perfect for the style. Huge flavor of banana touch of sweetness, a small bit of tartness and cloves. By far the best tasting american Hefeweizen I have had, maybe the best overall.

M - Medium carbonation and a bit light. Very nice.

D - Perfect. Extremely flavorful and balanced. It would be perfect on a hot summers day or a freezing winter night.

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very good beer. Great taste with no sour tones. Perfect mouth feel and color

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%

I love this beer. I tried it when I went to the brewery in Nashville, it was poured into a sampler glass, and I wish I wasn't too buzzed to have another regular tumbler, but....

Nice appearance, a small fluffy pure white head when poured which fizzled quickly to only a thin ring. Lemony yellow/light honey in color, appealing shade. The sediment floating around makes the beer look foggy, more like frosty, pastel lemon sorbet. The lacing was light, flirting with moderate, in vertical formations, doesn't completely last.

The smell was citrus, though not very strong, hints of banana fruit, very well balanced light overtones of spice. Very pleasing, most definitely begs you to take a sip.

Wow, the taste is SO good, distinct banana! Very subtle lemon and spice hints, interesting and refreshing! The flavors work magic together, and the mouthfeel was very light and smooth with light carbonation. Very well balanced, great development and focus shift of tastes from initial sip to aftertaste. Light but not thin.

Absolutely delicious and drinkable, I could have these all night, for a week straight.

4.64/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pale/wheat ale taste at first with a weaker banana after taste. A different but great taste for a sunny day!

4.72/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Awesome beer. Favorite heffe So far

4.74/5  rDev +28.1%

This in my opinion is the best Hefeweizen made in the U.S. It's got a great cloudy color with a decent head. The smell of banana is wonderful. Also the banana tones that you get when drinking this beer are excellent. I used to go to the taproom and have a pint while they were filling my growlers for me to take home (all filled with their wonderful hef). I've recently moved from Nashville to Seattle and the thing I miss the most is Yazoo's Hefeweizen. It's absolutely great!

(side note: I don't like the bottle version at all. I believe this beer should be poured from the tap and enjoyed. Unfortunately I think that the bottle loses far too many characteristics of this beer)

4.82/5  rDev +30.3%

A: Poured from a stubby bottle with a funky yellow cap, this beer starts with a slightly cloudy yellow haze, but once the yeast is swirled and poured in (as per the bottle instructions) it becomes very cloudy and thick looking. The yeast swirling and mixing is quite enticing. There's a small foamy head which quickly settles into a decent lacing.

S: The aroma of banana is dominant, as well as a nice smell of cloves. Smells delicious.

T: Following the smell, the banana comes through immediately along with the clove and a bit of pepper and tartness, but the tartness is not overbearing. A bit yeasty and bready. Not too sweet. Fantastic.

M: Smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. This brew seems just hearty enough to really feel the beer in your mouth, but light enough to stay in that "Spring Seasonal" arena.

D: Clean and smooth. Highly drinkable, I'm just about to have another.

Notes: Score one for a local brew! I decided to review this after my second try with the Yazoo Hefe. I had a sixer a couple months ago that was perhaps a little stale; the yeast came out flaky and a little chunky. It was still quite enjoyable, but this batch is flat out delicious. This was bottled within the last month, so be sure to get it fresh.

Hefeweizen from Yazoo Brewing Company