Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hefeweizen - Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: clvand0 on 11-01-2004

An authentic example of a Bavarian Hefeweizen. “Hefe” means cloudy or yeasty and “weizen” means wheat. This beer is made with mostly wheat and uses a true Hefeweizen yeast that gives it a fruity, banana aroma with just a hint of cloves. The tart finish makes this the perfect summer beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.27/5  rDev -12.1%

Cloudy yellow, fine rising bubbles, one finger head that dissipates into a sheen, thick clumpy lacing.

Smells typically heffish with yeasty cloves and banana aromas, plus some wheat and a touch of "wet dog." A good smelling hef (wet dog is not necessarily bad).

A slightly plastic/modeling glue taste detracted a bit from what was otherwise probably a pretty good hef. Cloves and bananas, yeast and wheat, very typical once again.

Feel is average. Thin with a little carbonation tang, light body.

Average drink. Not a bad hef but not a great one either.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Picked up a growler at the brewery.

A: Cloudy yellowish orange with minimal head and no lacing.

S: Strong smell of bananas and wheat. Some clove. Fruity and sweet.

T: Tastes like husky wheat with a compliment of sweet banana. Flavorful and refreshing.

M: Not as heavy as it looks. Light and bubbly. I would like to see the body a little more mellow.

D: Very very drinkable. Particularly on a hot summer day a sixer of this can go quickly. One of my favorite offerings from the hometown brewery.

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%

Drinking Date: 12/14/10
Bottled-On Date: Late October 2010

Appearance: Very cloudy and light yellow with an orange tint. Looks like freshly squeezed orange juice. The head is white and bubbly. It dissipates very quickly and leaves no lacing. There was very little foam left by the time I took my first sip.

Smell: Full-on fruity and banana aroma. A pleasure to whiff. A hint of alcohol was also present.

Taste: The taste followed the smell... very banana-like. Not a complex taste, but what was there was pretty good. The first sip was the best, becaues the fruity sweetness was right up front (then my mouth got used to it). Carbonation was at a good level.

Mouthfeel: Went down smoothly; too smoothly for my taste. Not enough body to the beer. It drank like a light American lager. ALthough, this does contribute to its drinkability.

Drinkability: Due to the beers light body and easiness on the palate, I could see drinking a few few of these easily.

Notes: Overall a decent beer. I would drink it again if I saw it on tap. Worth a try and/or for a change of pace.

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

A- Cloudy golden, as to be expected. Head was rather weak though.
S- smell is of apple, somewhat banana, some wheat. Some spicy clove presence to it.
T- Same as aroma. More apple than banana I feel.
M- Underweighted. Somewhat prickly carbonation.
D- Maybe my tastes have evolved/transformed, but this just wasn't as good as I remembered. Not a terrible beer, but not as good as some of Yazoo's more worthy products.

2.66/5  rDev -28.5%

Huge thanks to a fellow like minded ticker drabmuh for sending this extra. Another state crossed off the tick list.

A: Slightly cloudy bright yellow. Huge three fingers of stark white head. No lace but a solid cap remains.

S: Lots of citrus with a mix of clove, banana, wheat and mily acidity.

T: Faint citrus and pale wheat. Not much else. Very watered down tasting.

M: Light body with soft carbonation.

D: Overall a less than stellar hefe. Rather forgettable.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz Bottle poured into a SurlyFest Stien.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw color. White puffy head which lingers, but not a lot of lace.

Aroma: Lots of banana, maybe a little malt. Actually it reminds me a lot of banana bread.

Taste: Sweet, the banana smell doesn't turn into a lot of banana taste. Bit of lemon, and then the traditional wheat base.

Mouthfeel: Thin, bit of fizz. But in line with the style.

Overall: Not bad. Very in line with the style, but nothing super special.

3.86/5  rDev +3.8%

Nose of banana and lemon for the most part. Searched around for the typical cloves in this style, but couldn't find them.

There's some banana on the front, though nowhere near cloying or too "forward". There's also the cloves there as well, which are noticeable in the body of the beer. The finish sees a bit of lemon, plus some sweet wheat that lingers after the swallow.

This is pretty much a hefeweizen by the textbook. It isn't among the absolute best that I've had, as I like bolder flavors in these beers, but it's done pretty well and seeing as how this is brewed in the city in which I live, I should drink it more.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

Yazoo just started distribution to MS so I grabbed one of each of their beers to try. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass. Bottled on 4th week of September 2010.

A: Pours a light straw color with a frothy soap-white head. The head dissipates slowly to a thin film. This really looks more like a wit than a hefe, but it still looks good.

S: Huge cracker-like wheat is definitely the most prominent aroma. I smelled some faint cinnamon and orange rind, but it doesn't have much of a characteristic hefe smell.

T: Just like the smell, the most noticeable flavor is the almost cracker-like wheat base. The yeast doesn't offer much complexity, although there is a more prominent lemon note in the taste that doesn't show up in the nose. The finish is hard to describe; it's sort of metallic, almost like hard water.

M: Light and crisp, just as I expected. It's easy on the palate and has just the right amount of bubble.

D: This beer is light, fresh, and refreshing, but it doesn't stack up to the better hefeweizens I've had. At times, it really just tastes like I'm drinking a big saltine cracker. With some work, this could be really good.

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

Served on tap at Sam's Sports Bar.

A: Cloudy, what you'd expect from a hefe, almost no head but I think that's because it was a bad pour, left a good amount of lacing.

S: Sweet malts, banana, orange, coriander, again, what you'd expect from a hefe, which is a good thing.

T: Banana really shows through here, malty, sweet. Lemon and wheat finish. Great taste.

M: Light carbonation, crisp, refreshing.

D: Very drinkable.

This is one of, if not the best, hefe that I've had. I may be partial since it's from Yazoo and my hometown, but I absolutely loved this beer.

3.46/5  rDev -7%

Thanks Dustin, still working my way through this huge Yazoo gift box I got. Beer poured into my DFH signature glass. Beer is yellow and hazyl, straw yellow with a soft white head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate. Head could be bigger, carb could be higher but overall its good.

Strong wheat aroma, not much in the way of the classic esters I'd expect from a hefe. Eh.

Beer is medium in body and mildly sweet, finishes with an aftertaste of corn and wheat. There are SOME fruity ester in the mid and late palate, mild banana notes, I think the most interesting thing about this beer is covered up by the aftertaste. Drinkability is fine, in fact the faster you drink the better it is.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I got this bottle from the most exalted JohnQVegas. This is being reviewed from notes.

This is a cloudy pale straw colored gold with a minimal head and not a ton of lacing. It would get a 3.75 if that were an option, but we'll round down this time.

This smells lemony and sweet with wheat notes. My 3 year old says it smells like grapes, but I'm quite sure he doesn't know what he's talking about (he says every beer smells like grapes since he found out that wine is made from grapes). I do smell tons of banana notes-- and almost a tart lemon and sweet wheat finish.

This isn't the best Hefe, but this is easily drinkable. I would like to see this have some more carbonation.

Not rocking my world, but certainly not unpleasant!

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

The beautiful typical orange haze of a hefe, was overshadowed by its lack of head that didnt even have a chance to lace the glass. The smell was pretty blah as well, not much to speak. Needless to say the only thing that saved this beer from a bad first impression was the rave reviews I got from my friend sitting with me.

I don't know exactly what I was looking for in the taste, I just know that I didn't find it. It wasn't bad, but it didn't jump out at me either. The taste walked a thin line of being well-balanced and simply malnourished, if its possible for taste to be that. It's one step above average for the sole fact that there was nothing really wrong with it.

Theres a lot of hefes out there, like I said this one wasn't bad, but I sure as hell wouldn't run back to it. Try it, but if you have some selection within the style, go another direction.

3.72/5  rDev 0%

As I was back in Nashville I picked up a bottle of this one, as I wanted to try the Hef brewed by Yazoo, the very popular brewery from here. I was generally impressed.

I would say I poured this 12oz bottle into a pint glass, but that would be a lie. Because as I opened it, I lost about 2 ounces due to a slippery table. Fail. Oh well, on with the review.

Cloudy appearance, more of a copper color than lemon color but still not far from what is to be expected. Taste was more than I expected. A lot smoother than I have come to find with a lot of hefs. The wheat and spices come out a lot in the glass. Very drinkable and for those in Tennessee or the South as a whole, this should be an easy to find winner of a hef.

4.01/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottled 2nd week of January

Poured into a hefeweizen glass. Slightly cloudy, straw yellow in color with a thin white head, which fades into a thin ring around the edges of the glass.

Lots of sweet malts, banana, orange, coriander and light cloves on the nose. Yeasty, citrusy and spicy. Quite good.

Malty, light citrus (orange mostly) and banana in the flavor. Wheat and yeast come through nicely. Spices still present, but more aromatic than flavorful. Almost lemony on the finish.

Mouthfeel is fairly crisp, smooth and refreshing. Ample carbonation. Body could have a little more thickness to it, but still decent.

Drinkability is pretty good. I like the crisp tartness associated with the flavor. Not my go to hefe, but still a good showing. Easy to put down one or two of these. Would have this beer again if it were available in the area. Aroma was the best, but the flavor isn't too bad either. Worth trying if you see it.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Thanks goes out to JohnQVegas for this one.

Bottled On: 3rd Week of May

Pours a nice cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger fizzy white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, with some bannanas, corinander. The taste is slighlty sweet, malty, nice touch of yeast, with some bannanas/corinander. Medium body. Drinkable, a nice thirst quencher on a hot day.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to travita for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a very murky light yellow color with a white head. The aroma is basic hefeweizen with bananas and cloves. The flavor is similar but the bananas and wheat are much stronger than the cloves. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.98/5  rDev +7%

This is one of my favorite American Hefes. It stays true to the style with it's creamy head, and light banana notes. I do wish it came in a 16.9 oz bottle though, for authenticity. Soft on the palate and belly, this is a perfect beer for yard work, or lounging around the porch day. The South truly needs a good hefe in it's midst, and I think this is the one.

3.83/5  rDev +3%

This stuff is everywhere in Nashville, and definitely is as good as any hefeweizen I've had from the US. Had a few of these in bottle and pints, and took my notes on the pints.

Pours a golden white with a sunny glow that makes this a good looking brew. Head is bright white, two fingers, and remains throughout the drink. Nose really lacks - slightly metallic to me, with a subtle bit of citrus.

Taste is where this one really scores - great creamy body with excellent balance of wheat and citrus, with just a hint of vanilla, and a little bit of banana. Goes down very smooth, and really is enjoyable for a single or quite a few.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

I am ashamed to say that, despite having gone to school in Tennessee for the past four years, this is the first Tennesee brew I think I've ever had.

Pours a cloudy light golden yellow... about par for the course. Nose is full of husky wheat, tartness, and significantly less (though definitely present) banana and clove than one might expect. Palate is full of clean tartness, yeast, banana, some tart fruit (apple?). Perhaps a bit dryer than the typical hefe. A bit of astringency in the finish. Drinkabilitty is high... would be an excellent beer to session on a warm day.

Although a bit off the beaten path, this is a solid hefe. Will be buying again.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle into a pint glass.

A - Poured cloudy, golden color with lots of head that slowly dissipated leaving lots of lacing around the glass.

S - Straight forward smell of wheat and yeast. Hints of grass and floral are present as well.

T - Wheat and grass upfront followed by yeast and slight presence of hops.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation.

D - Very drinkable and tasty, very light as well. Would definitely want to drink more in the future.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle into pint glass.

Cloudy pale straw, nice effervescence, very thin white head that's not that impressive. Nice color, though - wonderful balance of clarity and haze to give the color really nice depth and pop.

Nose is really nice and wheaty, with a nice dose of vanilla and clove as well. Not getting too much banana, and just a bit of a sourdough yeast note on the end.

Taste is dry and very crisp. Wheaty, almost husky graininess, big clove, and a hufty whack of yeasty sourness towards the finish. Finish is longish, yeasty, a bit earthy.

Mouthfeel is light and a bit creamy, nicely put together.

Drinkability is pretty solid - very respectable American hefe from a brewery I'm becoming increasingly happy is local to me. Could be a bit more balanced in the yeast flavors but it feels authentic, unlike many, many of the American hefes I've had.

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a clear, pale yellow color. 1/5 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, sweet malt, citrus (lemon), and slight spice (clove), and hint of wheat. Fits the style of a Hefweizen. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of wheat, yeast, slight hops, spice (clove), and sweet malt. Overall, a rather above average Hefeweizen, nice body, blend, and flavor.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a hazy yellow with a thin white head. Smells slightly of banana, and a lot more like lemons. Tastes quite lemony and refreshing up front, followed by a slight saltiness and a tiny bit of sweet banana. Crisp and citrusy in the mouth, this beer is definitely on the lighter side, but the nice mellow lemony citrus makes it easily drinkable and a nice summer porch beer.

3.37/5  rDev -9.4%

Working a few blocks away from the brewery, I should be loyal, however; I have to be honest.
It's not a bad beer is just not as good as all the 'beer snobs' say it is.
The color is o.k., smells o.k., the taste is just a little overpowering. Maybe I'm just too used to the Hefe Weissen beers from Germany.
I probably won't buy it again, but I will try other beers from Yazoo.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle shared by Lee at the Brick Store.

Pours clear yellow with a small soapy white head that dissipates almost immediately and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is heavy on the tart lemons with a subtle underlying sweet banana and bubble gum sweetness. Sweet malt and yeast make up the rest. Not much spiciness that I could tell.

The taste also starts with a tart lemon zing which gives way to a very modest hefe base with some ripe bananas and cotton candy. The finish is very dry and slightly tart.

The mouthfeel is highly carbonated and drier and a bit more tart than most hefes.

This is a solid beer but not one my favorite hefes. It's a little more tart than I'd prefer with a bit more sweetness. Still, not bad.

Hefeweizen from Yazoo Brewing Company