1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hefeweizen - Yazoo Brewing Company

HefeweizenHefeweizen

good

good

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

An authentic example of a Bavarian Hefeweizen. “Hefe” means cloudy or yeasty and “weizen” means wheat. This beer is made with mostly wheat and uses a true Hefeweizen yeast that gives it a fruity, banana aroma with just a hint of cloves. The tart finish makes this the perfect summer beer.

(Beer added by: clvand0 on 11-01-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 262 | Reviews: 111 | Show All Ratings:
parkeak0

District of Columbia

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

I am ashamed to say that, despite having gone to school in Tennessee for the past four years, this is the first Tennesee brew I think I've ever had.

Pours a cloudy light golden yellow... about par for the course. Nose is full of husky wheat, tartness, and significantly less (though definitely present) banana and clove than one might expect. Palate is full of clean tartness, yeast, banana, some tart fruit (apple?). Perhaps a bit dryer than the typical hefe. A bit of astringency in the finish. Drinkabilitty is high... would be an excellent beer to session on a warm day.

Although a bit off the beaten path, this is a solid hefe. Will be buying again.

03-23-2010 08:22:46 | More by parkeak0
newcastleme

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a hazy yellw

S- Clove, banana, and an vanilla

T- Great after taste.

m- medium bodied.

I'd recommend for a person wanted to try out yazoo. Also, It's nice for a number of food groups.

This would be great with some breads and meats. Great beer! anytime!

Serving type: can

01-01-2011 01:23:12 | More by newcastleme
casemw

South Carolina

3.35/5  rDev -8.7%

My first sample from Yazoo thanks to a buddy of mine from MTSU.

Pours cloudy yellow with one inch head that fades completly pretty quick. Smells of alcohol are pretty strong, esters are present, but only after the beer sits a while. No lacing whatsoever.

Tastes/feels very similar to Hoegaarden which I'm not a huge fan of. The citrus aspects are very subtle, but linger a bit after each sip. I must say, the beer starts to gets better as you drink more. A little over-carbonated for my taste, but definitely natrual carbonation.

Mouthfeel is pretty light. I could drink a few of these, but if I were at a bar with other options I'd probably move on to something else.

Overall, not a bad hefe. I've had much worse. If I ever have a chance to try another beer from Yazoo I wouldn't pass it up.

12-07-2008 03:50:11 | More by casemw
reeverbythespeak

Alabama

This is one of my favorite American Hefes. It stays true to the style with it's creamy head, and light banana notes. I do wish it came in a 16.9 oz bottle though, for authenticity. Soft on the palate and belly, this is a perfect beer for yard work, or lounging around the porch day. The South truly needs a good hefe in it's midst, and I think this is the one.

05-03-2010 05:48:52 | More by reeverbythespeak
SDbeerguy

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

As I was back in Nashville I picked up a bottle of this one, as I wanted to try the Hef brewed by Yazoo, the very popular brewery from here. I was generally impressed.

I would say I poured this 12oz bottle into a pint glass, but that would be a lie. Because as I opened it, I lost about 2 ounces due to a slippery table. Fail. Oh well, on with the review.

Cloudy appearance, more of a copper color than lemon color but still not far from what is to be expected. Taste was more than I expected. A lot smoother than I have come to find with a lot of hefs. The wheat and spices come out a lot in the glass. Very drinkable and for those in Tennessee or the South as a whole, this should be an easy to find winner of a hef.

06-28-2010 00:38:55 | More by SDbeerguy
BeerskiBrewski61

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Working a few blocks away from the brewery, I should be loyal, however; I have to be honest.
It's not a bad beer is just not as good as all the 'beer snobs' say it is.
The color is o.k., smells o.k., the taste is just a little overpowering. Maybe I'm just too used to the Hefe Weissen beers from Germany.
I probably won't buy it again, but I will try other beers from Yazoo.

07-31-2009 21:35:51 | More by BeerskiBrewski61
treble

4.53/5  rDev +23.4%

I love this beer. I tried it when I went to the brewery in Nashville, it was poured into a sampler glass, and I wish I wasn't too buzzed to have another regular tumbler, but....

Nice appearance, a small fluffy pure white head when poured which fizzled quickly to only a thin ring. Lemony yellow/light honey in color, appealing shade. The sediment floating around makes the beer look foggy, more like frosty, pastel lemon sorbet. The lacing was light, flirting with moderate, in vertical formations, doesn't completely last.

The smell was citrus, though not very strong, hints of banana fruit, very well balanced light overtones of spice. Very pleasing, most definitely begs you to take a sip.

Wow, the taste is SO good, distinct banana! Very subtle lemon and spice hints, interesting and refreshing! The flavors work magic together, and the mouthfeel was very light and smooth with light carbonation. Very well balanced, great development and focus shift of tastes from initial sip to aftertaste. Light but not thin.

Absolutely delicious and drinkable, I could have these all night, for a week straight.

01-28-2009 22:46:33 | More by treble
BucksBrew

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I drink this in their local Taproom. A pint served on tap.

A - It was looked nice but nothing special. Normal American pint glass. It is a classic style Hefeweizen. Suspended yeast gave it a white haze to cool yellow color.

S - Had a normal Hefeweizen smell to it.

T/M - It had a good mouth feel. Not to carbonated. It just worked. It was your classic light tasting beer. Cool and refreshing. Perfect for the seesion (summer).

D - Very Drinkable. It really is just a classic Hefeweizen. It is not reinventing the wheel, but it rolls.

08-03-2008 22:34:53 | More by BucksBrew
awolcfh5150

Washington

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

This in my opinion is the best Hefeweizen made in the U.S. It's got a great cloudy color with a decent head. The smell of banana is wonderful. Also the banana tones that you get when drinking this beer are excellent. I used to go to the taproom and have a pint while they were filling my growlers for me to take home (all filled with their wonderful hef). I've recently moved from Nashville to Seattle and the thing I miss the most is Yazoo's Hefeweizen. It's absolutely great!

(side note: I don't like the bottle version at all. I believe this beer should be poured from the tap and enjoyed. Unfortunately I think that the bottle loses far too many characteristics of this beer)

09-26-2008 02:13:39 | More by awolcfh5150
Kcastr01

2.21/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I went on a Hefeweizen tirade for many weeks. This one is a little disappointing as it doesn't taste of a Hefeweizen one bit. It has a mid body Hefeweizen feel but only after an overly hoppy attack that you don't expect. If you're in the Hef game for a mellow, wheat feel-this beer will take you off guard.

03-05-2014 18:14:36 | More by Kcastr01
bcmurray66

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm a big fan of Yazoo as one of Nashville's few local brews and the only one focusing on brewing rather than brewpubbing, and I'm a big fan of Hefe's. I find the Yazoo Hefe to be an excellent example of the variety. The flavor of cloves dominates in this brew and isn't nearly as citrusy as some other hefe's I've had. The beer finish clean and goes down easy. I have had a few bad Yazoo Hefe's that tasted stale and nearly undrinkable, but I'll chalk those up to bad luck as the majority have been outstanding

The Hefeweizen is now available in bottles, so I'll have to give that a shot and see how it does.

07-21-2007 19:33:58 | More by bcmurray66