Hefeweizen - Yazoo Brewing Company

good

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

An authentic example of a Bavarian Hefeweizen. “Hefe” means cloudy or yeasty and “weizen” means wheat. This beer is made with mostly wheat and uses a true Hefeweizen yeast that gives it a fruity, banana aroma with just a hint of cloves. The tart finish makes this the perfect summer beer.

(Beer added by: clvand0 on 11-01-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hefeweizen Alström Bros
IBUnit63

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Courtesy of ckeegan04. Am drinking this earlier than planned 'cause I'm bottling today and realized I'm out of bottles, so WTF?!

Pours a light grapefruit color...slightly turbid. Surprisingly enough there's not a whole lot of head to this deal. Interesting - at first looks more like an American wheat beer. Carbonation is prevalent and climbs slowly up the ladder.

There's a hint of the classic Hefe banana and clove esters with a hint of citric acidity...not quite grapefruit but maybe a pinch of lemon zest. Definitely brings around a good yeast scent and electricity. A little more hoppy than the average bear, maybe?

Damn, this is refreshing if nothing else...but of course there's something else. Way tart on the first gulp when cold but then the clove hits you like a Kung Fu throwing star. A little ginger, too...maybe? It's sharp all over, with a big dollop of yeast and wheat electricity. Hop bite may be subtle but not as subtle as expected for the style. Thoroughly quenching.

Palate feel may have a little too much citrus for my taste but it's still enjoyable. Hops and cloves mix it up well, but the cloves win this battle to keep it light and spritely. Finish is crisp and clean...no caffeine.

This one may not be yo' mammy's Hefeweizen but it's a solid hybrid of a classic Hefe and an American wheat, which is fine by me. And it's a little hoppier to me. Maybe a little bit of extra sourness is the only thing that is a little out of whack but this is a very palatable lawnmower concoction. Nicely done.

05-26-2009 13:40:55 | More by IBUnit63
beeragent

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Poured a clear straw with a light haze towards the end. 1/2 inch white head with no lacing. Not the big head retention and lacing that I'm used to with a hefeweizen.

S - Strong aroma of bananas and lemons. Not much else is detectible aside from the fruity aroma, but thats what I expect from this style. The aroma reminds me a little of Hoegarden.

T - The taste is largely dominated by the flavor of the banana and lemon flavor, with a nice amount of malted wheat thickening up the taste. More complex than I make it sound to be.

M - Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Smooth clean finish.

D - This beer has a very nice full flavor, with enough complexity to keep it above your usual hefeweizen IMO. This is definitely one of the more flavorful hefeweizens that I've tried without having to go to an extreme version. A highly recommended sessionable hefeweizen!!!

05-12-2009 23:32:25 | More by beeragent
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Though its appearance was not very impressive -- given my affection for the Hefeweizen bench mark, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier -- this Yazoo offering makes up for its shortcomings in smell, taste and mouthful. This has all the characteristics of a good Hefe, with a definite yeast, banana, clove smell and taste. This might be my favorite Yazoo offering, next to its Hop Project IPAs. A definite keeper in my mini fridge. Nice job, Yazoo.

05-02-2009 04:51:37 | More by cadizkyguy
spointon

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

I had this one on tap at the Flying Saucer in Nashville last week. From my notes:

A= This hefeweizen poured a pale gold color with a moderate amount of cloudiness for the style. The 1/2" white head disappeared fairly quickly, and did not leave any lace (nor was any expected really).

S= Fruity and yeasty aroma, full of banana and clove as well as the expected wheat "twang". Exactly what you would expect from the style.

T= The flavor profile was good but not as good as the aroma. A bit muted, but still showing soft flavors of banana, clove, citrus, and of course wheat malt sweetness. Mildly tart finish.

MF= Medium bodied with a soft (in my opinion just a bit too soft) carbonation feel.

D= Not the best and not the worst by far. Solid middle of the road, no complications hefeweizen here.

04-06-2009 23:38:44 | More by spointon
Likeburning

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

First of all, I love this beer, and all of Yazoo's beers at that. Being from Nashville, I'll admit that I'm more than a little biased, but they really are good beers, especially this hefe. The coriander is noticeable as in other wheat beers that I like. The color is straight on yellow and hazy like an unfiltered wheat bee should be, and that's... that's just tops.
As far as other flavors, I'm going to go out on a little bit of a whim here. I think it tastes a little bit like crayons. No kidding, crayons. And I'm saying this as if it's a good thing, because to me it is. Not only does this beer taste like home, it also tastes like childhood (which took place in Nashville). When it comes to a summer beer and I'm feeling homesick, one sip of this hefe, and I'm back at home on my buddy's back porch hanging out and talking about life.

02-19-2009 02:47:40 | More by Likeburning
treble

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

I love this beer. I tried it when I went to the brewery in Nashville, it was poured into a sampler glass, and I wish I wasn't too buzzed to have another regular tumbler, but....

Nice appearance, a small fluffy pure white head when poured which fizzled quickly to only a thin ring. Lemony yellow/light honey in color, appealing shade. The sediment floating around makes the beer look foggy, more like frosty, pastel lemon sorbet. The lacing was light, flirting with moderate, in vertical formations, doesn't completely last.

The smell was citrus, though not very strong, hints of banana fruit, very well balanced light overtones of spice. Very pleasing, most definitely begs you to take a sip.

Wow, the taste is SO good, distinct banana! Very subtle lemon and spice hints, interesting and refreshing! The flavors work magic together, and the mouthfeel was very light and smooth with light carbonation. Very well balanced, great development and focus shift of tastes from initial sip to aftertaste. Light but not thin.

Absolutely delicious and drinkable, I could have these all night, for a week straight.

01-28-2009 22:46:33 | More by treble
Brewsmith

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

From a 12 oz. bottle set to me from a friend in TN. Aroma is yeasty and a little lemony. Pale straw, with some yeast haze. Head is like soda and dissipated quickly. Flavor is bready with some lemon hop flavor, with a little classic hefeweizen clove and banana. High carbonation, and a little thin, but dry and refreshing. A decent example of a German hefe.

01-19-2009 01:28:59 | More by Brewsmith
feloniousmonk

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

In a Duvel goblet for this tasting, because it was handy. This is not only my first Yazoo Hefeweizen, and my first yazoo brew, but most probably my first Tennessee beer. So here's to that.Forget about the snakes and naked ladies...
Golden hued, very hazy, I tossed the yeast in and it's swirling around like a liquid snake...smallish head, for the style.
Aroma, citrus, yes, banana, yeah, some spice, a bit of clove...spicy and lively. Nice enough.
Taste: brisk,zesty, citrus-y, spritzy...big carbonation...lightish body...slight finish, though.

A bit weak, lacking in flavor, but not terrible, at all.

01-15-2009 08:54:07 | More by feloniousmonk
JamesS

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured a nice golden straw color with some fantastic head and nice lacing, if too clear (label said nothing about it being filtered or not). Good scent, nice and clean with a hint of wheat/straw, and a nice pepper undertone. Nice taste, crisp and clean with a nice banana and slight clove flavor, a good malt wheatiness to it. Goes down quite smoothly, a very nice wheat beer.

01-02-2009 11:53:04 | More by JamesS
corey0212

Connecticut

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

Got this one from ckeegan04 in the Secret Santa '08!

Pours a cloudy lemony/yellow color, minimal white head fades quickly into a foamy collar around the glass, no lacing to speak of, but a nice display of bubbles rising to the top. Lots of clove on the nose, some banana, slight lemon aroma as well. Taste follows right along, with a faint peppery hit. Mouthfeel is a little thin, zippy little bubbles, and ultimately pretty refreshing. Certainly very drinkable, but more suited to the summer months.

12-28-2008 22:54:07 | More by corey0212
casemw

South Carolina

3.35/5  rDev -9.2%

My first sample from Yazoo thanks to a buddy of mine from MTSU.

Pours cloudy yellow with one inch head that fades completly pretty quick. Smells of alcohol are pretty strong, esters are present, but only after the beer sits a while. No lacing whatsoever.

Tastes/feels very similar to Hoegaarden which I'm not a huge fan of. The citrus aspects are very subtle, but linger a bit after each sip. I must say, the beer starts to gets better as you drink more. A little over-carbonated for my taste, but definitely natrual carbonation.

Mouthfeel is pretty light. I could drink a few of these, but if I were at a bar with other options I'd probably move on to something else.

Overall, not a bad hefe. I've had much worse. If I ever have a chance to try another beer from Yazoo I wouldn't pass it up.

12-07-2008 03:50:11 | More by casemw
MMAJYK

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Bought direct from the brewery in Nashville TN.

A- Bright golden, creamy yellow color. Light head and lacing.

S- Bready, yeasty, fruity, moldy basement, citrus, and a corriander like spice.

T- Citrus fruits, pineapples, bananas and white cracked pepper.

M- Just a little watery for the style. Should have more of a creamy texture to match the appearance.

D- Definitely a good drinking beer on a college football Saturday. Low ABV, very nonoffensive, and goes down quite nicely.

Serving type: growler

10-04-2008 23:37:59 | More by MMAJYK
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev +7%

Sampled on tap at the Brewgrass festival in Asheville, North Carolina. Consumed on 09/20/2008 and reviewed from notes taken at the time.

The pour was very nice, classic hefe style here, with a rich and hazy and very light pale yellow color. A large, two inch high head of white came up over the top and settled down gently into a light and fluffy layer that all it took was a few seconds to wisp away. Lots of carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom of the glass throughout the session.

The aroma was light and very pleasing. A light banana and clove like smell comes at me with the first whiff. Sweet, almost bubblegum like presence, and we all know that all too familiar strain of yeast that makes it just really stick out in a crown. Flavor came through right away, light and very bright with a light grain base that was quickly overshadowed by a light fruit like flavor that really just shined right through. Quick and clean with the lasting flavor of banana stuck on my tongue, this was simply done very well. Light body with a great amount of carbonation in it, I was shocked by how smooth and easy this one went down.

Overall I really thought this was a very solid ale. Certainly my favorite of theirs that I got to try. I would have no issues at all with getting this one again any day. It was really just fantastic and a wonderful little beer.

09-27-2008 13:25:22 | More by mikesgroove
awolcfh5150

Washington

4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

This in my opinion is the best Hefeweizen made in the U.S. It's got a great cloudy color with a decent head. The smell of banana is wonderful. Also the banana tones that you get when drinking this beer are excellent. I used to go to the taproom and have a pint while they were filling my growlers for me to take home (all filled with their wonderful hef). I've recently moved from Nashville to Seattle and the thing I miss the most is Yazoo's Hefeweizen. It's absolutely great!

(side note: I don't like the bottle version at all. I believe this beer should be poured from the tap and enjoyed. Unfortunately I think that the bottle loses far too many characteristics of this beer)

09-26-2008 02:13:39 | More by awolcfh5150
joepais

Maine

3.58/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to ckeegan04 for this one. My bottle was poured into a Wiezen glass it looked real nice three fingers worth of white head that goes to a thick lace. The body was a hazy yellow in color interrupted by a bubble or two coming from the bottom of the glass

Aromas of citrus' bubblegum and wheat with a slight sourness as well filled my nose

Flavors of citrus and spices and there is that sourness again it kind of works with this brew .This brew is light and crisp in the mouth.

Good drinkability as well although I haven't had too many I wouldn't drink again. You could kickback a few of these real easy like. A good try at a Hefe not my favorite but not the worst either

09-20-2008 22:59:13 | More by joepais
marcpal

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks Ckeegan for this one in the latest BIF. Thanks really to andy van slyke.
12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: This is one pretty beer- what one should look like. Cloudy yellow-cheddar orange with tons of haze and a good head that thinned itself out.

S: Beautiful nose on this in my opinion. Bananas, tangy lemon, spices. The yeast aromas could be seen as overbearing if you look for a fault.

T: Sweet bananas and yeast. The spiciness doesn't have the balance that it needs but still a tasty beer. Bubblegum in each sip with a sour tart flavor in the finish.

M: Light yet chewy. Cleansing in the mouth and the spiciness clears up all flavors of what else you might have eaten or drank.

D: First effort from Yazoo, and this was nice. For a drinkable style, this isn't perfect but it packs a lot of flavor into a relatively small beer. Thumbs up although maybe something missing that would round it out.

09-13-2008 21:36:43 | More by marcpal
Wetpaperbag

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

A- Nice cloudy bright yellow color. The head is thick and foamy, very fluffy and light. Sort of cloud like. The head leaves no lacing, this must be due to the acid in this beer.

S- The smell is great, very traditional German Hefe smell. The banana and clove come though very well. I also pick up a smell of honey, spice, and the wheat.

T- Very light and refreshing. I'm sensing a bit of an acidic taste that seems to coat the tongue. I, personally, have never had a hefe that had this acidic taste, its very interesting to me. I like this aspect and find it fun and enjoyable. The banana is very present in the after taste and it seems to linger long after the sip has been taken.

M- Feels very good in the mouth, very light and crisp.

D- Very easy to drink, too bad this was only a 12oz beer. I'm sad to watch it go.

09-12-2008 02:04:51 | More by Wetpaperbag
nem2006

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured the bottle into a pint glass. Beer is a hazy, light yellow with an egg-white head. There was great carbonation and head retention.

The smell was 'bright'. Also lemon, floral and sweet.

I was extremely impressed by the taste of this beer. It is medium-bodied and there is a creamy mouthfeel to it. I would call the overall taste sweet and lemony, but not too strong. I found the taste was more subtle than some hefeweizens which was quite pleasant with the creamy texture of the beer.

09-03-2008 16:32:00 | More by nem2006
NJpadreFan

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Yazoo- Hefeweizen

Thanks to Unclejedi(Jed) for this 1!

A- Bright hazy yellow with a big billowy white head. Had to stop pouring and wait for it to subside.
S- Big strong clove aroma with a touch of sweet lemon.
T- Big sweet lemon honey with an equally bigger does of clove. Slight banana bubblegum flavors picked up in the end.
M- Very sweet throughout with a good tangy body and a crisp dry finish.

Overall- Quite good! Very clove dominated but tasty as hell! My 1st from TN and from Yazoo highly recommended(Thanks Jed!)

08-23-2008 20:00:12 | More by NJpadreFan
BucksBrew

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I drink this in their local Taproom. A pint served on tap.

A - It was looked nice but nothing special. Normal American pint glass. It is a classic style Hefeweizen. Suspended yeast gave it a white haze to cool yellow color.

S - Had a normal Hefeweizen smell to it.

T/M - It had a good mouth feel. Not to carbonated. It just worked. It was your classic light tasting beer. Cool and refreshing. Perfect for the seesion (summer).

D - Very Drinkable. It really is just a classic Hefeweizen. It is not reinventing the wheel, but it rolls.

08-03-2008 22:34:53 | More by BucksBrew
Oxymoron

Colorado

3.05/5  rDev -17.3%

Do you Yazoo? Pours a golden yellow hue with a slight orange hue through out. A good swirl leaving a cloudy appearance with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates.

The nose has noticeable hefe notes. A strong, almost fake banana aroma that dominates. A slight malt aroma with a hint of spice from the wheat. A light bubblegum and cloves aroma are detectable but mostly in the finish. Some yeasty notes but typical. There also is a slight plastic aroma that is board line rubber in the end.

The taste is similar but not as harsh. The banana is still very strong with more malt presence. More generic malt tastes with limited wheat notes. Cloves and Bubblegum both come out a bit stronger but still play second to the banana. Some good yeasty notes with a light pepper finish. Again with the rubber flavor that really is a deterrent.

The body is light to moderate with a light but good carbonation backing. Would have liked more of a balance and back off the banana but some good thing there.

07-21-2008 21:31:15 | More by Oxymoron
donaldchapman

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev -35%

A - Pours a nice golden yellow color, cloudy due to roused yeast, and a creamy white head.

S - Strong smell of bananas, slight bubblegum and clove, but could use more. Also slight rubber-like aroma.

T - The taste was a bit of a let down, the banana dominates and is accompanied by a slight soapy flavor.

M - Good carbonation and a nice creamy body. Good for style.

Overall, I was not impressed by this beer. The flavor profile was too estery and not enough phenolic to back it up.

07-07-2008 15:51:13 | More by donaldchapman
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

Been wanting to try this one for a while and finally found some in a little store..

Pours a very cloudy hazy pale yellow with a big creamy head...

Great aroma of banana, cloves, lemon, bubble gum, and that yeasty wheaty hefe smell... So far, so good.

Very light crisp taste of citrus, banana, and a hint of the cloves. Damn, this is a great little brew!! I had some Live Oak a couple weeks ago and I have to tell you, this is almost as good as that was!! This is exceptionally fresh having been bottled a couple weeks ago and you can tell.

Great little hefe!! Very drinkable! I will be heading back to grab some more of this one to keep around this summer.

05-07-2008 18:15:44 | More by Tilley4
ckeegan04

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Very cloudy yellow with thick white foamy head. Moderate lacing in the glass. Looks like a model Hefeweizen.

S - Citrusy and grainy. Too grainy in the aroma for my liking.

T - Grainy with a hint of yeasty lemon and banana. Very tart at the end of the drink. The flavor combinations just didnt add up for me.

M/D - Light crisp mouthfeel. A passable hefe, but not my favorite from these guys.

05-03-2008 12:46:46 | More by ckeegan04
GbVDave

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to HollyAnn for the hook up!

Bottled on: Jan/Week 2 (2008 I assume)

A: Pours a hazy pale gold color with a creamy white head that's two fingers in height. Although fed by some active carbonation the head dies pretty quickly, leaving a small amount of lace behind.

S: Nice yeasty aromas of banana and clove followed closely by some tart fruit and a mild breadiness.

T: Enjoyable yeast flavors (banana, clove, and bubblegum) that have biscuit-y, bread-y, and toasted crustiness nipping on their heels. Also along for the ride is pepper and a tart and slightly sour citrus flavor that lends some balance.

M: Pretty chewy and pleasantly spicy on the tongue. Interesting peeks of dry/toasted malt.

D: Very good. I bet this is very popular around Nashville in the summertime.

04-17-2008 23:26:57 | More by GbVDave