Hefeweizen - Yazoo Brewing Company

good

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

An authentic example of a Bavarian Hefeweizen. “Hefe” means cloudy or yeasty and “weizen” means wheat. This beer is made with mostly wheat and uses a true Hefeweizen yeast that gives it a fruity, banana aroma with just a hint of cloves. The tart finish makes this the perfect summer beer.

(Beer added by: clvand0 on 11-01-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

The beautiful typical orange haze of a hefe, was overshadowed by its lack of head that didnt even have a chance to lace the glass. The smell was pretty blah as well, not much to speak. Needless to say the only thing that saved this beer from a bad first impression was the rave reviews I got from my friend sitting with me.

I don't know exactly what I was looking for in the taste, I just know that I didn't find it. It wasn't bad, but it didn't jump out at me either. The taste walked a thin line of being well-balanced and simply malnourished, if its possible for taste to be that. It's one step above average for the sole fact that there was nothing really wrong with it.

Theres a lot of hefes out there, like I said this one wasn't bad, but I sure as hell wouldn't run back to it. Try it, but if you have some selection within the style, go another direction.

mjw06, Jul 15, 2010

Kramerbarthomer, Apr 09, 2014

DmanGTR, Feb 10, 2013

whitebrow, Sep 09, 2014

Whiskeydeez, Apr 02, 2014

jophish17, Dec 30, 2013

swgwilt, Oct 25, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Pours a pale goldenrod color with a small white head that falls quickly and leaves little lacing. There's a nice cap of white foam that sticks around, though.

S: Banana and clove are present, but not to the degree in a true Bavarian hefeweizen. Light wheat malts and some hop aroma, as well.

T&M: Weak flavors of banana and bubblegum, not much spice in the flavor. There's a sharp tartness that's a bit overbearing. Too much carbonation and tartness, not enough complexity and smooth flavor. Body is light with an aggressive carbonation that's too tangy/spritzy.

D: It's rather light and drinkable, but the tartness and over-carbonation limit the drinkability of this beer. A decent effort from Yazoo, but it's just not up to par as a good hefeweizen in my book.

BamaBeerBuff, Jun 22, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -10.2%

Working a few blocks away from the brewery, I should be loyal, however; I have to be honest.
It's not a bad beer is just not as good as all the 'beer snobs' say it is.
The color is o.k., smells o.k., the taste is just a little overpowering. Maybe I'm just too used to the Hefe Weissen beers from Germany.
I probably won't buy it again, but I will try other beers from Yazoo.

BeerskiBrewski61, Jul 31, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Cloudy golden, as to be expected. Head was rather weak though.
S- smell is of apple, somewhat banana, some wheat. Some spicy clove presence to it.
T- Same as aroma. More apple than banana I feel.
M- Underweighted. Somewhat prickly carbonation.
D- Maybe my tastes have evolved/transformed, but this just wasn't as good as I remembered. Not a terrible beer, but not as good as some of Yazoo's more worthy products.

jsprain1, Nov 29, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -9.7%

My first sample from Yazoo thanks to a buddy of mine from MTSU.

Pours cloudy yellow with one inch head that fades completly pretty quick. Smells of alcohol are pretty strong, esters are present, but only after the beer sits a while. No lacing whatsoever.

Tastes/feels very similar to Hoegaarden which I'm not a huge fan of. The citrus aspects are very subtle, but linger a bit after each sip. I must say, the beer starts to gets better as you drink more. A little over-carbonated for my taste, but definitely natrual carbonation.

Mouthfeel is pretty light. I could drink a few of these, but if I were at a bar with other options I'd probably move on to something else.

Overall, not a bad hefe. I've had much worse. If I ever have a chance to try another beer from Yazoo I wouldn't pass it up.

casemw, Dec 07, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Very cloudy yellow with thick white foamy head. Moderate lacing in the glass. Looks like a model Hefeweizen.

S - Citrusy and grainy. Too grainy in the aroma for my liking.

T - Grainy with a hint of yeasty lemon and banana. Very tart at the end of the drink. The flavor combinations just didnt add up for me.

M/D - Light crisp mouthfeel. A passable hefe, but not my favorite from these guys.

ckeegan04, May 03, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I got this bottle from the most exalted JohnQVegas. This is being reviewed from notes.

This is a cloudy pale straw colored gold with a minimal head and not a ton of lacing. It would get a 3.75 if that were an option, but we'll round down this time.

This smells lemony and sweet with wheat notes. My 3 year old says it smells like grapes, but I'm quite sure he doesn't know what he's talking about (he says every beer smells like grapes since he found out that wine is made from grapes). I do smell tons of banana notes-- and almost a tart lemon and sweet wheat finish.

This isn't the best Hefe, but this is easily drinkable. I would like to see this have some more carbonation.

Not rocking my world, but certainly not unpleasant!

AleWatcher, Aug 03, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -7%

Yazoo just started distribution to MS so I grabbed one of each of their beers to try. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass. Bottled on 4th week of September 2010.

A: Pours a light straw color with a frothy soap-white head. The head dissipates slowly to a thin film. This really looks more like a wit than a hefe, but it still looks good.

S: Huge cracker-like wheat is definitely the most prominent aroma. I smelled some faint cinnamon and orange rind, but it doesn't have much of a characteristic hefe smell.

T: Just like the smell, the most noticeable flavor is the almost cracker-like wheat base. The yeast doesn't offer much complexity, although there is a more prominent lemon note in the taste that doesn't show up in the nose. The finish is hard to describe; it's sort of metallic, almost like hard water.

M: Light and crisp, just as I expected. It's easy on the palate and has just the right amount of bubble.

D: This beer is light, fresh, and refreshing, but it doesn't stack up to the better hefeweizens I've had. At times, it really just tastes like I'm drinking a big saltine cracker. With some work, this could be really good.

charlesbyrd, Oct 14, 2010
3.46/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a pale yellow that is crystal clear. One and a half white fluffy head with lots and lots of bubbles. Oddly...not much retention and zero lacing

S - Whew...better like bananas! Very heavy on the bananas up front. Smells sweet. Definate clove on the back as well.

T - Very much like the aroma. Very heavy on the banana flavor followed by clove. Very good flavor overall....if you like banana

M - Extremely light drinking beer. Bubbles tend to cling to your tongue and the roof of your mouth.

O - A very good hef. East drinking with a ton of flavor. No complaints. I dont want that much banana in my beer al lthe time but at times it would be a very nice change

Goosehunter75, Apr 02, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle a clear pale yellow color with a sharp fizzy white head. This one is so fizzy, I'd swear someone dropped in an Alka-Seltzer.

Big aroma of bananas along with mild cloves, lemon, and table salt.

The taste is lemon, green apple, and wheat. The tartness of this one caught me by surprise.

Thinner bodied, crisp and tart, and sharply carbonated.

A decent hefe from Yazoo but not one I'll likely have again.

Monkeyknife, Jun 19, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks Dustin, still working my way through this huge Yazoo gift box I got. Beer poured into my DFH signature glass. Beer is yellow and hazyl, straw yellow with a soft white head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate. Head could be bigger, carb could be higher but overall its good.

Strong wheat aroma, not much in the way of the classic esters I'd expect from a hefe. Eh.

Beer is medium in body and mildly sweet, finishes with an aftertaste of corn and wheat. There are SOME fruity ester in the mid and late palate, mild banana notes, I think the most interesting thing about this beer is covered up by the aftertaste. Drinkability is fine, in fact the faster you drink the better it is.

drabmuh, Sep 09, 2010

Cynic-ale, Nov 09, 2013

dmk91, Nov 07, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

A big white head quickly falls into a thin lacing above a clear pale golden colored beer.

Banana, cloves, and other little spices aroma with a little bit of yeast coming through on this light bodied beer.

Light banana, light cloves and maybe some other similar spices with some added light bread like malts taste.

The aftertaste on this beer is a light dryish with just a bit of the spicy notes hanging around, and it seems to turn to a slight banana as time goes by.

Seems to be an alright lighter hefeweizen, but still a light to much banana for me.

LXIXME, Sep 05, 2012