Hefeweizen - Yazoo Brewing Company

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: clvand0 on 11-01-2004

An authentic example of a Bavarian Hefeweizen. “Hefe” means cloudy or yeasty and “weizen” means wheat. This beer is made with mostly wheat and uses a true Hefeweizen yeast that gives it a fruity, banana aroma with just a hint of cloves. The tart finish makes this the perfect summer beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hefeweizen Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
2.44/5  rDev -34.6%

A - Pours a nice golden yellow color, cloudy due to roused yeast, and a creamy white head.

S - Strong smell of bananas, slight bubblegum and clove, but could use more. Also slight rubber-like aroma.

T - The taste was a bit of a let down, the banana dominates and is accompanied by a slight soapy flavor.

M - Good carbonation and a nice creamy body. Good for style.

Overall, I was not impressed by this beer. The flavor profile was too estery and not enough phenolic to back it up. (484 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

A = a cloudy light orange-ish color with a 1/2" foamy head

S = citrus with a little bit of clove-like spiciness

T = a citrus taste with lemon dominating, but some banana and spices noticable

M = lighter than most hefe's I've had

D = this is a pretty good hefe and I like to drink it to support a local brewery. still can't top paulaner's hefe. if you're in nashville I'd recommend trying a pint or two of this stuff. (429 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -8%

Yazoo just started distribution to MS so I grabbed one of each of their beers to try. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass. Bottled on 4th week of September 2010.

A: Pours a light straw color with a frothy soap-white head. The head dissipates slowly to a thin film. This really looks more like a wit than a hefe, but it still looks good.

S: Huge cracker-like wheat is definitely the most prominent aroma. I smelled some faint cinnamon and orange rind, but it doesn't have much of a characteristic hefe smell.

T: Just like the smell, the most noticeable flavor is the almost cracker-like wheat base. The yeast doesn't offer much complexity, although there is a more prominent lemon note in the taste that doesn't show up in the nose. The finish is hard to describe; it's sort of metallic, almost like hard water.

M: Light and crisp, just as I expected. It's easy on the palate and has just the right amount of bubble.

D: This beer is light, fresh, and refreshing, but it doesn't stack up to the better hefeweizens I've had. At times, it really just tastes like I'm drinking a big saltine cracker. With some work, this could be really good. (1,154 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -2.4%

Drinking Date: 12/14/10
Bottled-On Date: Late October 2010

Appearance: Very cloudy and light yellow with an orange tint. Looks like freshly squeezed orange juice. The head is white and bubbly. It dissipates very quickly and leaves no lacing. There was very little foam left by the time I took my first sip.

Smell: Full-on fruity and banana aroma. A pleasure to whiff. A hint of alcohol was also present.

Taste: The taste followed the smell... very banana-like. Not a complex taste, but what was there was pretty good. The first sip was the best, becaues the fruity sweetness was right up front (then my mouth got used to it). Carbonation was at a good level.

Mouthfeel: Went down smoothly; too smoothly for my taste. Not enough body to the beer. It drank like a light American lager. ALthough, this does contribute to its drinkability.

Drinkability: Due to the beers light body and easiness on the palate, I could see drinking a few few of these easily.

Notes: Overall a decent beer. I would drink it again if I saw it on tap. Worth a try and/or for a change of pace. (1,074 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

First of all, I love this beer, and all of Yazoo's beers at that. Being from Nashville, I'll admit that I'm more than a little biased, but they really are good beers, especially this hefe. The coriander is noticeable as in other wheat beers that I like. The color is straight on yellow and hazy like an unfiltered wheat bee should be, and that's... that's just tops.
As far as other flavors, I'm going to go out on a little bit of a whim here. I think it tastes a little bit like crayons. No kidding, crayons. And I'm saying this as if it's a good thing, because to me it is. Not only does this beer taste like home, it also tastes like childhood (which took place in Nashville). When it comes to a summer beer and I'm feeling homesick, one sip of this hefe, and I'm back at home on my buddy's back porch hanging out and talking about life. (841 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a cloudy light straw color with 1 finger off white head, which retained most of the way down the glass. Per bottle recommendation, swirled and dumped yeast sediment right on top, which left a light brown trail on top of the head.

Smells exactly like most of hefeweizens I've had. Bananas and cloves come through strong, especially the former.

Taste follows the nose well. Tasty, bready wheat malt with a good dose of the banana tones. Very refreshing taste.

Feels slightly heavier in body than I usually remember from this style (I haven't drank a hefe in a while, so I'm going off memory). Coates the tongue pretty well, doesn't feel thin at all. The head retention probably helps attribute to the mouthfeel.

Overall very drinkable. The weather is warming up here so I will probably finish this 6 pack by tomorrow. A very tasty & refreshing beer, especially for a style which I normally don't care much for. Maybe I have a newly found respect for it now. (969 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

I am ashamed to say that, despite having gone to school in Tennessee for the past four years, this is the first Tennesee brew I think I've ever had.

Pours a cloudy light golden yellow... about par for the course. Nose is full of husky wheat, tartness, and significantly less (though definitely present) banana and clove than one might expect. Palate is full of clean tartness, yeast, banana, some tart fruit (apple?). Perhaps a bit dryer than the typical hefe. A bit of astringency in the finish. Drinkabilitty is high... would be an excellent beer to session on a warm day.

Although a bit off the beaten path, this is a solid hefe. Will be buying again. (657 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a hazy yellw

S- Clove, banana, and an vanilla

T- Great after taste.

m- medium bodied.

I'd recommend for a person wanted to try out yazoo. Also, It's nice for a number of food groups.

This would be great with some breads and meats. Great beer! anytime! (266 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

My first sample from Yazoo thanks to a buddy of mine from MTSU.

Pours cloudy yellow with one inch head that fades completly pretty quick. Smells of alcohol are pretty strong, esters are present, but only after the beer sits a while. No lacing whatsoever.

Tastes/feels very similar to Hoegaarden which I'm not a huge fan of. The citrus aspects are very subtle, but linger a bit after each sip. I must say, the beer starts to gets better as you drink more. A little over-carbonated for my taste, but definitely natrual carbonation.

Mouthfeel is pretty light. I could drink a few of these, but if I were at a bar with other options I'd probably move on to something else.

Overall, not a bad hefe. I've had much worse. If I ever have a chance to try another beer from Yazoo I wouldn't pass it up. (798 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

This is one of my favorite American Hefes. It stays true to the style with it's creamy head, and light banana notes. I do wish it came in a 16.9 oz bottle though, for authenticity. Soft on the palate and belly, this is a perfect beer for yard work, or lounging around the porch day. The South truly needs a good hefe in it's midst, and I think this is the one. (360 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -18.5%

This beer isn't really my thing, but I see the appeal. It looks and smells good (very fruity smell), but I'm not super crazy about the taste or feel. Too thin for my taste also. Overall, it's not bad. I like it (a little bit). (230 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%

As I was back in Nashville I picked up a bottle of this one, as I wanted to try the Hef brewed by Yazoo, the very popular brewery from here. I was generally impressed.

I would say I poured this 12oz bottle into a pint glass, but that would be a lie. Because as I opened it, I lost about 2 ounces due to a slippery table. Fail. Oh well, on with the review.

Cloudy appearance, more of a copper color than lemon color but still not far from what is to be expected. Taste was more than I expected. A lot smoother than I have come to find with a lot of hefs. The wheat and spices come out a lot in the glass. Very drinkable and for those in Tennessee or the South as a whole, this should be an easy to find winner of a hef. (721 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -9.7%

Working a few blocks away from the brewery, I should be loyal, however; I have to be honest.
It's not a bad beer is just not as good as all the 'beer snobs' say it is.
The color is o.k., smells o.k., the taste is just a little overpowering. Maybe I'm just too used to the Hefe Weissen beers from Germany.
I probably won't buy it again, but I will try other beers from Yazoo. (376 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First time having this and new to this style of beer. Head left quickly. Smells of banana and bread. Light. Seems watery or maybe thin in the mouth. Pretty good taste, but not great by any means. Little tart on finish? If you want to stay away from hops, try this type. (269 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

I love this beer. I tried it when I went to the brewery in Nashville, it was poured into a sampler glass, and I wish I wasn't too buzzed to have another regular tumbler, but....

Nice appearance, a small fluffy pure white head when poured which fizzled quickly to only a thin ring. Lemony yellow/light honey in color, appealing shade. The sediment floating around makes the beer look foggy, more like frosty, pastel lemon sorbet. The lacing was light, flirting with moderate, in vertical formations, doesn't completely last.

The smell was citrus, though not very strong, hints of banana fruit, very well balanced light overtones of spice. Very pleasing, most definitely begs you to take a sip.

Wow, the taste is SO good, distinct banana! Very subtle lemon and spice hints, interesting and refreshing! The flavors work magic together, and the mouthfeel was very light and smooth with light carbonation. Very well balanced, great development and focus shift of tastes from initial sip to aftertaste. Light but not thin.

Absolutely delicious and drinkable, I could have these all night, for a week straight. (1,107 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I drink this in their local Taproom. A pint served on tap.

A - It was looked nice but nothing special. Normal American pint glass. It is a classic style Hefeweizen. Suspended yeast gave it a white haze to cool yellow color.

S - Had a normal Hefeweizen smell to it.

T/M - It had a good mouth feel. Not to carbonated. It just worked. It was your classic light tasting beer. Cool and refreshing. Perfect for the seesion (summer).

D - Very Drinkable. It really is just a classic Hefeweizen. It is not reinventing the wheel, but it rolls. (537 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I went on a Hefeweizen tirade for many weeks. This one is a little disappointing as it doesn't taste of a Hefeweizen one bit. It has a mid body Hefeweizen feel but only after an overly hoppy attack that you don't expect. If you're in the Hef game for a mellow, wheat feel-this beer will take you off guard. (306 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +27.1%

This in my opinion is the best Hefeweizen made in the U.S. It's got a great cloudy color with a decent head. The smell of banana is wonderful. Also the banana tones that you get when drinking this beer are excellent. I used to go to the taproom and have a pint while they were filling my growlers for me to take home (all filled with their wonderful hef). I've recently moved from Nashville to Seattle and the thing I miss the most is Yazoo's Hefeweizen. It's absolutely great!

(side note: I don't like the bottle version at all. I believe this beer should be poured from the tap and enjoyed. Unfortunately I think that the bottle loses far too many characteristics of this beer) (680 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +13.4%

This is my favorite beer really. I have only tried a handful, but as mentioned above, you better like bananas. The taste of banana is very present and if you are into that then this is probably the best beer you are going to find due to such a strong smell and taste. The banana gives it a sweeter taste than most beers, again, if you are into that. (349 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

I'm a big fan of Yazoo as one of Nashville's few local brews and the only one focusing on brewing rather than brewpubbing, and I'm a big fan of Hefe's. I find the Yazoo Hefe to be an excellent example of the variety. The flavor of cloves dominates in this brew and isn't nearly as citrusy as some other hefe's I've had. The beer finish clean and goes down easy. I have had a few bad Yazoo Hefe's that tasted stale and nearly undrinkable, but I'll chalk those up to bad luck as the majority have been outstanding

The Hefeweizen is now available in bottles, so I'll have to give that a shot and see how it does. (612 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last