Dos Perros - Yazoo Brewing Company

good

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

American Brown Ale |  3.50% ABV

Many Mexican beer styles today are descendants of old Austrian styles, from when Austria ruled Mexico in the late 19th century. Our Dos Perros is made with German Munich malt, English Pale malt, and Chocolate malt, and hopped with Perle and Saaz hops. To lighten the body, as many Mexican brewers do, we add a small portion of flaked maize. The result is a wonderfully bready malt aroma, balanced with some maize sweetness and a noble hop finish.

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 11-24-2004)
Reviews by Misfit138:
4.05/5  rDev +11.6%

This is my first review ever so let's see how it goes.

Since I live in Nashville I have had this beer several times and its my favorite from Yazoo.

Served from a stubby short neck bottle into my Guinness pint glass.

A- Poured a nice brown color with a highly carbonated head that rose about an inch, would leave lacing along the sides of the glass. However, the head would not last for long.

S- The scent was lightly chocolate and malts.

T- I think its a tasty beverage. It has a hint of chocolate and perhaps caramel. Goes down easy.

M- Pretty light overall. Has more carbonation than appears.

D- I think this is a beer that I can drink a few of whenever. It has a nice flavor and I think would go with a large variety of foods as well.

I do recommend this beer if you see it in your area, its possibly even better on tap.

I do know that the owner is slowly trying to get Yazoo beers distributed to a wider area, as long as it is presented well enough.

Misfit138, Apr 11, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

Now this a different take on an american brown ale,and I kinda like it.Poured a deep tawny brown with a thinner white head atop,deep roast in the nose,along with some brown sugar and a mineral scent.Flavors are roasted with some bitter chocolate, nut and earth round out a soft finish that the flaked maize had a hand in I am guessing.Hmm I had low expectations,but I gotta say it has a uniquness thats pretty good.

oberon, Apr 19, 2010

pdoler12, Sep 06, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz. bottle poured into a Yazoo branded shaker pint glass

It pours a deep rich brown with some ruby highlights and a 2 finger tan head that fades pretty quickly.

The nose is all pale chocolate and lightly roasted coffee malt. I really love the assertive but not overbearing coffee notes in the aroma.

The coffee flavors aren't as strong in the flavors and are replaced by a medium malt breadiness with a little chocolate. A very faint floral hop flavor is detected as well. It's just kind of a bland non distinct flavor.

Carbonation is medium with a medium light body. The lighter body really adds to the drinkability. I've enjoyed this beer several times and just wish some of the coffee noted wouild transfer to the taste.

weatherdog, Jan 10, 2011

J2L, Oct 27, 2012

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #45 (Oct 2010):

Paying homage to the Mexican/Vienna beers. Enough head to get by, clear reddish brown color. Smells of German dark bread, subtle floral hops and cocoa powder. This ale has some body for a smaller beer, but still leans toward the dry side. Milk-like sweetness form the maize adds some depth to the clean, toasty maltiness. Light peck of hop spice and floral bitterness level this beer out. Of course, we have to use "session beer" somewhere in this review--a damn good one at that.

BeerAdvocate, Jan 21, 2011

codysjb, Mar 06, 2014

Cynic-ale, Nov 09, 2013

jmbraxton, Aug 19, 2012
3.51/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, dated about 1 year ago but refrigerator, served in a goblet.

A: looks like cola, with excellent clarity, but without visible carbonation.

Aroma: caramel and chocolate malts, with an exceptional contribution from the latter. Also a faint spicy/herbal note and a touch of smoke.

T: malty, as expected. A cross between a Mexican brown and an American Brown Ale. Clean finish.

M: (Intentionally) Thin body; light carbonation.

O: Recommended for fans of brown and amber ales. Less malty but a bit more hoppy than Fat Tire.

chinchill, May 08, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

Schlafly33, Dec 15, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A small off white to light tan head quickly dies to a thin lacing and that soon thereafter disappears above this clear reddish amber colored beer.

A light smell of sweet roasted caramel malts with just a hint of sweet chocolates.

A light sweet roasted caramel to toffee taste I really can't taste the hops but I can tell that their there as well as a very light chocolate. Taste a lot like Dos Equis Amber, maybe a bit smoother, I wish I had remembered to buy a lime to try with this bottle.

A light dry aftertaste that brings with it a bit of the roasted caramel malt taste on this medium bodied beer.

A pretty good tasting beer, I wish I had a few more of them, quite a few more and some limes.

LXIXME, Sep 06, 2012

lcdawg, Apr 03, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yazoo- Dos Perros

Thanks to Unclejedi for this 1!

A- Light clear maple brown with a small soapy head.
S- Good light touch of pecans, hazelnuts, and walnuts blended into a sweet batter of brown sugar and cola syrup.
T- Sweet brown sugar with a good nutty pecan/ hazelnut twang. Light touch of black licorice malt.
M- Sweet and malty with a good syrupy, and slightly dry, finish.

Overall- tasty but not overpowering. Solid.
(Thanks Jed!)

NJpadreFan, Aug 23, 2008

javlin624, Dec 19, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer was poured into an Imperial pint glass at 47° from a 12 ounce bottle with a bottled on date notched on the label. One finger of head resulted from the pour. There was very little carbonation and lace. The beer was brown.

Chocolate and brown roasted malt were the predominant aromas. Hops were distinguishable in the background but required some effort to get to beyond the malt. There was a nice ethereal quality present.

There was a slight bitter chocolate taste with fruitiness shortly after. Carbonation seemed to mess up what could have been a nice smooth taste.

The bitterness subsided rather quickly with not a lot left to ponder. This was a bit short of what I was expecting but do consider adequate.

This is a nicely made beer with balanced hops and malt. It was not quite up to what I was hoping for but would definitely not turn down another.

SMark, Mar 26, 2008

topgun1911, Jan 22, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

Another vacation beer. (In TN if you haven't guessed). Found this one from Nashville. Was happy to find a local brew. I love brown ales so this one was more in my territory.

A- Pretty good looking brown ale. I like the dark copper color, darker than most actually. Decent head on it for a brown ale.

S- There hardly isn't a smell on here at all. Just *barely* a slight aroma of the hops if you put it up to your nose, not much else there.

T- Pretty good brown ale. Has kind of a metallic hint which I'm not fond of. Reminds me a lot of Killian's even though it's a brown ale, but it's like a darker version of it. At first the taste was intense but it grows on you the more you drink of it, not because it's alcohol, but you get used to the sharpness. Quite a bit of hops in this for a brown ale.

M- Typical. More on the grainy side, kind of different for an ale.

D- Pretty good. At first I wasn't sure I liked it but it certainly grows on you. Kind of reminds me of Modelo Negra a bit. Threw me off because of the name I assumed this was Mexican beer.

Overall, I'm impressed. Nice surprise.

Zebus0, Jul 21, 2010