Dos Perros - Yazoo Brewing Company

good

Yazoo Brewing Company visit their website
Tennessee, United States

American Brown Ale |  3.50% ABV

Many Mexican beer styles today are descendants of old Austrian styles, from when Austria ruled Mexico in the late 19th century. Our Dos Perros is made with German Munich malt, English Pale malt, and Chocolate malt, and hopped with Perle and Saaz hops. To lighten the body, as many Mexican brewers do, we add a small portion of flaked maize. The result is a wonderfully bready malt aroma, balanced with some maize sweetness and a noble hop finish.

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 11-24-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dos Perros Alström Bros
Butz

08-14-2013 21:19:42 | More by Akfindlay
Dreizhen

District of Columbia

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

A: Dark, amber, see-through, little head that quickly dissipates.
S: I've had this beer so much it's hard to think of anything else but it when I smell it. Lime, coco, and malt.
T: Incredibly refreshing. Not overwhelming. Decent bite. There's not as much complexity to this beer as you'd find in some other, heavier beers. But that's not what this beer is aiming for. I personally believe this is one of the best session beers of all time. That being said, this is not a simple beer and it is anything but flat. The chocolate is subtle but adds a good amount of character. I could drink (and have drank) this all day.
M: Less bite than most ales, slight carbonation. Incredibly drinkable.
O: One of my all time favorite beers. Don't overlook it because it's not an "imperial" this or a "tripel" that. This is a fantastic beer that everyone should try.

06-12-2013 18:12:59 | More by Dreizhen
Beertracker

Oklahoma

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Yazoo's Dos Perros pours up with a light carbonation that creates a low, but sustainable tannish-white head that nicely collars the deep auburn-burnt umber body. Very bright clarity w/ excellent head retention for a lower alcohol beer that has adjuncts. The aroma is an intermingling of caramel notes (butterscotch candy & hot toffee) & toasted malt (buttery croutons, saltine crackers & sourdough bread) with hints of chocolate (dark baker's chocolate, hot cocoa) along with a nice dark fruitiness and just a touch of spiciness from the Perle/Saaz hops. Very low-negligible diacetyl. The flavor starts off with a dominate caramel maltiness that drives completely through this beer with some buttery toffee/treacle notes and a lovely biscuit-like toastiness that add to the overall complexity complimented by some coffee-like roastiness. The finish is slightly bready, bittersweet, fruity (bilberry, elderberry) & spicy with just enough bitterness to balance. Two Dogs is a medium-light bodied session brown that reminds me more of a Southern English Brown Ale than anything American. Regardless, it has an exceptional drinkability and is amazingly complex for such a small beer. I would love to try a pint of this one on draught or even from a cask via a handpull with some bangers & mash + onion gravy! Yoo-hoo, it's Yazoo!

CHEERS! Beertracker

*Trader's note: Many thanks to CurtisMcArthur for the fresh bottle.

02-09-2011 03:47:36 | More by Beertracker

lilnicky068

06-30-2013 01:44:14 | More by lilnicky068
mattsdenney

4.43/5  rDev +22%

Dos Perros...one of the many reasons that Nashville is the greatest city in the country.

Appearance: Pours a clear, brown with thing off-white bubbly head. Looks like a brown ale should.

Smell: This beer definitely looks the part of a brown ale but the smell tells you that you're in for more. Malty chocolate, caramel, and hints of bread and coffee.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Creamy but light, bubbly and smooth. A refreshing brown ale that differentiates itself through the use of the mexican and chocolate malts. Pairs well with most any food (especially spicy).

Overall: This is a frequent go-to for me. I highly recommend giving it a shot if you're in Tennessee or North/Mid Alabama.

09-05-2011 21:50:52 | More by mattsdenney
BigBen61

4.43/5  rDev +22%

Wow...I will admit my beer drinking brethren that I have strayed from the path. I've been enjoying wine quite a bit lately. I'm not sure if it was a skunked Bass or that Milwaukee's Best Ice that gave me the desire for a change of scenery but this one sure brought me back. Had it at Rose Pepper's in Nashville on Tap. Came in a pitcher, great head when poured into my frosty mug and great color somewhere between a Stout and a Nut Brown in color head is a nice creamy off white with streaks of brown. The aroma is where this one got me. I'm not one for that charred over the top roasted malt that I've have found in some beers of this style this one was sweet and malty with just enough roasted character and citrus-like hops to balance it out and the flavor was spot on. This is my first Yazoo and damn am I happy to be so close to Nashville.

06-03-2009 04:29:24 | More by BigBen61
TheGordianKnot

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

A- nice brown color that is topped with thick creamy head. Very enticing

S- Smells very sweet. The chocolate malts are very apparent in the smell, not much hop aroma or much else, but still pleasing.

T- Wow, this beer is awesome! It was recommended to me by fellows BA-ers since I went on a trip to Nashville, and this is my favorite grab from the trip. The sweet chocolate malt is even more prominent in the taste than the smell. It has a slight hop flavor and great balance of bitterness. I think my favorite part though, is the slight smokey aftertaste that lingers after each drink. This tasting experience really reminds me of dark chocolate smores made over a camp fire.. really superb

M- Carbonation present, not too much or too little. Feels like it belongs in my mouth...

D- Though it is kind of a darker beer, it is still quite refreshing. I could drink these all night long, any night of my life. I want to go back to Nashville just to get some more of this stuff.

Overall, I loved this beer. I haven't had much form Yazoo, but this is one beer that has me loving the brewery so far. I found this be an exceptional brown ale, my favorite of the type I would venture to say at this point in my life, actually. Everyone must try this beer...

04-19-2010 22:48:36 | More by TheGordianKnot